HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vanek to NYI for Moulson, 2014 Conditional 1st, 2015 2nd (BUF retains 20% salary)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2013, 12:01 PM
  #701
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner
 
Mit Yarrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,679
vCash: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Except there are a ton of players who are dangerous around the net and would be played defensively the exact same way as Vanek
Moulson being one example.

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:02 PM
  #702
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble
 
Sabre Dance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 7,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Except there are a ton of players who are dangerous around the net and would be played defensively the exact same way as Vanek
IMO that's all Vanek does though. He has never been someone I felt was dangerous away from the net. AT least not since he signed that contract.

Most of the top scorers are dangerous away from the net. Vanek is not, at least IMO. He does have a great slap shot but its rarely used.

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:08 PM
  #703
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble
 
Sabre Dance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 7,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
Moulson being one example.
Yes, they both do wrk around the net, but I dont think its the same type of game as Vanek. Liek I said Vanek is like a post up man in the NBA. He stands down there and takes a beating while others work to get the puck on net or to him.

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:26 PM
  #704
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 16,369
vCash: 67
When Vanek starts coming down the wall and sniping a wrist shot into the net let me know. Or when he starts scoring any goals where he does any of the board work to help his teammates while then moving into scoring a scoring chance. He did this last year for 38 games but the 7 seasons before he did not and so far this season he has not. Islanders fans think they traded for a game breaker like last years Vanek. They did not.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:01 PM
  #705
Ebbisen
Registered User
 
Ebbisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lurking the HF board
Country: Sweden
Posts: 144
vCash: 242
Isnt the first rounder conditional? If it is a top 10 pick in 2014 the Islanders can change it to a 2015 first?

Ebbisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:14 PM
  #706
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble
 
Sabre Dance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 7,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
When Vanek starts coming down the wall and sniping a wrist shot into the net let me know. Or when he starts scoring any goals where he does any of the board work to help his teammates while then moving into scoring a scoring chance. He did this last year for 38 games but the 7 seasons before he did not and so far this season he has not. Islanders fans think they traded for a game breaker like last years Vanek. They did not.
He does it occasionally, and most of the time when he does it makes a highlight video.

He is a goal scorer though and he will score for the Islanders. I just dont expect him to be any different then what he was here.

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:16 PM
  #707
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble
 
Sabre Dance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 7,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbisen View Post
Isnt the first rounder conditional? If it is a top 10 pick in 2014 the Islanders can change it to a 2015 first?
Yeah, and I would actually rather have the 2015 pick.

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:25 PM
  #708
SabresFan26
Registered User
 
SabresFan26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,844
vCash: 500
Who would take a bet that Moulson finishes + or - 10 points of Vanek this season?

I think I would.


Last edited by SabresFan26: 10-30-2013 at 02:15 PM.
SabresFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:27 PM
  #709
wingnutks
Registered User
 
wingnutks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Who would take a bet that Moulson finisheS + or - 10 points of Vanek this season?

I think I would.
I think Moulson will have more points than Vanek by the end of the season.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:35 PM
  #710
hottytoddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leesburg, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,496
vCash: 500
I hope Moulson does great here then we can trade him for a good return.

hottytoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:29 PM
  #711
Puppa2Miller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Guys, a little late to the party, and this has probably been addressed but hoping for some clarity:

We retained salaries in the Pominville and Vanek trades. I thought there was some kind of rule you could only retain salary of no more than two players at a time. That would mean we couldn't retain any of Miller's salary if needed. Today's paper mentioned 3 former Leafs, that Toronto is retaining salary, though.

So bottom line, are we allowed to retain a third salary (Ryan Miller)?

Puppa2Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:33 PM
  #712
Jim Bob
I Believe
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 22,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppa2Miller View Post
Guys, a little late to the party, and this has probably been addressed but hoping for some clarity:

We retained salaries in the Pominville and Vanek trades. I thought there was some kind of rule you could only retain salary of no more than two players at a time. That would mean we couldn't retain any of Miller's salary if needed. Today's paper mentioned 3 former Leafs, that Toronto is retaining salary, though.

So bottom line, are we allowed to retain a third salary (Ryan Miller)?
It's 3 players at any one time and the max total retained salary is high enough that the Sabres could retain the max 50% on Miller's contract, if need be.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:36 PM
  #713
Jim Bob
I Believe
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 22,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
I think Moulson will have more points than Vanek by the end of the season.
8 of Moulson's 11 pts have come in the past five games played. I would be stunned if he stays that hot here.

But, it would be nice.

The other thing is who knows how Moulson will be affected if he is traded to his third team of the season at the deadline...

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:38 PM
  #714
Puppa2Miller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJimBob View Post
It's 3 players at any one time and the max total retained salary is high enough that the Sabres could retain the max 50% on Miller's contract, if need be.
Sounds good. Thanks for the explanation.

Puppa2Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:42 PM
  #715
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Laurel, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 24,791
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppa2Miller View Post
Guys, a little late to the party, and this has probably been addressed but hoping for some clarity:

We retained salaries in the Pominville and Vanek trades. I thought there was some kind of rule you could only retain salary of no more than two players at a time. That would mean we couldn't retain any of Miller's salary if needed. Today's paper mentioned 3 former Leafs, that Toronto is retaining salary, though.

So bottom line, are we allowed to retain a third salary (Ryan Miller)?
The restrictions are as follows:
- No more than three salaries retained via trade at a time
- No more than 50% of a contract can be retained
- The combined retained salary can not exceed 15% of the salary cap's upper limit

We can retain the full 50% of Miller's salary if we wish.


Last edited by Paxon: 10-30-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:26 PM
  #716
Jim Bob
I Believe
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 22,098
vCash: 500
Moulson with the understatement of the week:

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/blogpost....source=Twitter

Quote:
.@mikeyscav asks: What's the biggest difference, in your mind, between playing for the Islanders and the Sabres? #AskMatt

The facilities here are a little bit better than the Nassau Coliseum. I've been hanging out in the lounge last couple days, it's so nice -MM

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:48 PM
  #717
Beerz
Registered User
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 23,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJimBob View Post
Moulson with the understatement of the week:

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/blogpost....source=Twitter

Wait till they fire up the fireplace, Matty

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:57 PM
  #718
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 16,369
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJimBob View Post
Moulson with the understatement of the week:

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/blogpost....source=Twitter
So if he doesn't score 2 goals every game for the remainder of the season we know what the root of the problem really is.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:00 PM
  #719
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 16,369
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Wait till they fire up the fireplace, Matty
If Drew Stafford keeps playing the way he has been I hope they fire it up sooner rather than later. And then Stafford is "waived".

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:06 PM
  #720
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
If Drew Stafford keeps playing the way he has been I hope they fire it up sooner rather than later. And then Stafford is "waived".
Are you implying that the Sabres would burn a player alive in punishment for his poor effort?

My god.

We're not pagans in this country.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:14 PM
  #721
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 16,369
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Are you implying that the Sabres would burn a player alive in punishment for his poor effort?

My god.

We're not pagans in this country.
I'd expect nothing less from a team that employs Patrick Kaleta and John Scott!

--Yahoo Sports

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:17 PM
  #722
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
I'd expect nothing less from a team that employs Patrick Kaleta and John Scott!

--Yahoo Sports
You have to tear a team down to build it back up again.

And by tear the team down, apparently we mean violent dismemberment.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:26 PM
  #723
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble
 
Sabre Dance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 7,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
The restrictions are as follows:
- No more than three salaries retained via trade at a time
- No more than 50% of a contract can be retained
- The combined retained salary can not exceed 15% of the salary cap's upper limit

We can retain the full 50% of Miller's salary if we wish.
What about a Moulson contract?

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:41 PM
  #724
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,184
vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
What about a Moulson contract?
He has a 3.1 cap hit virtually every team can afford him at the deadline. That's the reason that there is no way we don't get at the bare minimum a 1st for MM. I mean a 3x 30 goal scorer who was almost a ppg last year barely making 3.0 per? Every playoff team in the league would covet that. I can see MM bringing back a 1st and 2nd himself. That would make Vaneks trade value 2 1sts and 2 2nds.

I give Darcy props, he got a great return for Pommers but he got an even better deal for Vanek. Poms had the extra year then Van, yet Darcy got the picks he got in the Poms deal (but better because MiN is better then NYI) and MM >>> Larsson and Hackett. We can be real flexible with MM. We can re-sign him and see if he will accept under 5 and that would be a 30 goal scorer to replace for the most part Vaneks production, or we trade him off before the deadline and try to start a bidding war and get a ransom for Moulson.

Either way, I'm starting to see the fun of this rebuild.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:50 PM
  #725
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble
 
Sabre Dance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 7,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
He has a 3.1 cap hit virtually every team can afford him at the deadline. That's the reason that there is no way we don't get at the bare minimum a 1st for MM. I mean a 3x 30 goal scorer who was almost a ppg last year barely making 3.0 per? Every playoff team in the league would covet that. I can see MM bringing back a 1st and 2nd himself. That would make Vaneks trade value 2 1sts and 2 2nds.

I give Darcy props, he got a great return for Pommers but he got an even better deal for Vanek. Poms had the extra year then Van, yet Darcy got the picks he got in the Poms deal (but better because MiN is better then NYI) and MM >>> Larsson and Hackett. We can be real flexible with MM. We can re-sign him and see if he will accept under 5 and that would be a 30 goal scorer to replace for the most part Vaneks production, or we trade him off before the deadline and try to start a bidding war and get a ransom for Moulson.

Either way, I'm starting to see the fun of this rebuild.
Im not even sure I want to trade him. Seems like the perfect veteran to keep around.

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.