HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time for Lehner to start more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2013, 03:26 PM
  #51
Maximus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Doylestown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,642
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
It's not that he gave up 2 goals on 20 shots it was the quality of the goals. Letting in 2 early, soft goals can take a lot out of a team (momentum wise) especially after dominating the opposing team.

Anyway, I think that Lehner should play I just don't think that people have to put down Anderson to push some agenda. Anderson has been great -- Lehner is going to get put in for a change of pace because the team has been awful defensively, not because Lehner is better than Anderson.
You see that's where we disagree Cujomi. Anderson has not been great. Not by a longshot. In 1/2 of his 10 games, yes he's been very good. In the other 1/2, he's been below average to horrid. So he's not even close to being great overall this year. He's middle of the pack at best this season. Personally, I think Lehner if given the gig right this moment, would be better than Anderson. I do. From what I've seen of him, he's more talented, athletic, quicker and intimidating than Anderson is. Nothing against Anderson who has been good for you guys but Lehner IMO this very minute could run with the job and be everything you guys wanted and likely be a Top 10 goalie rest of the way.

Anderson doesn't have that kind of talent watching for most of his career. He just doesn't. He had a dream year last year one which will never ever be duplicated by him ever again. But don't forget, he only did it in 24 games. That's a blip on the radar screen of a regular season but still can't take that away from him and I won't. He was terrific. This year not so much.

Lehner when giving the chances last year was awesome. He was shelled on numerous occassion vs Boston I recall and he stood up to the challenges and kept your boys in the games he was in. He I don't recall had a bad game or if he did, I don't recall it he was that good. He was pretty much as good as Andy was. Listen, not saying Lehner should take the starting gig right now...I'm not. Next year he should start...I really believe that.

What I am saying, he's ready to take a bigger share and load and it should start beginning Friday.

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:39 PM
  #52
StefanW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,280
vCash: 50
One thing I have noticed over the past 2+ years is that MacLean does not do goalie controversies. The starter starts the majority of games, and the big games, and the backup is there to give the starter a rest when needed.

Friday will be interesting, because Andy has not been at his best lately. Neither has the entire team, and the competition was vey tough. Anyway, If Lehner gets the start on Friday and plays well then we would have the start of a goalie controversy brewing. My gut feeling is that he will give Andy the start again to see how he does against weaker competition, and to try to get him on track.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 10:37 PM
  #53
SenzZen
Cool Keith
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Actually it does sound like you were blaming Lehner for not winning a hockey game he gave up just 2 goals in(read for yourself what you wrote). And also your not making sense here. So the status quo should remain if the backup is fine yet team loses but it's OK to change if backup plays like crap but team wins? Huh? I don't know, seems very mixed up to me.

Grass by the way is not greener on the other side. What this is about is you have a #1 goalie who is not playing that good at all right now and who is giving up 4+ goals a game lately for whatever the reason. You have a backup who likely could be the starter for more than 1/2 the teams in the NHL and who has more talent in his left pinky than said #1 has and yet due to to "protocol" is being given less than games than he should be. Time to throw protocol into the garbage for a few games and let the kid play and let the veteran sit on the bench with the ball cap on, practice harder and see if he can get his chit together. Doesn't seem to me too be that difficult of a decision to do for Maclean and I'm betting he realizes it now that he has to give Robin a few starts in a row beginning Friday.

This board will blow up if Lehner pitches a shutout or so vs Isles, gets the Dallas game and gives up one or so. Oh man, going to luv to read the board if that happens.
So anyway, i think Andy will probably start the next few.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 10:57 PM
  #54
Curtinho
Spero Meliora
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,702
vCash: 500
Goaltending is not the problem. Lehner played fine, but as long as we have as many defensive breakdowns as we're having this far into the season things are going to be very rocky for whoever is manning the pipes.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 10:58 PM
  #55
Senscore
The Superior B-Side
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,718
vCash: 500
A .930 sv% is just plain not good enough. Clearly he needs time in the AHL to learn how to do better.

Senscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:16 AM
  #56
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 30,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
So anyway, i think Andy will probably start the next few.
With the defense he had and the timely saves he made.... he basically got a shutout.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 03:02 AM
  #57
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,375
vCash: 500
Listen I love Lehner but he hasn't been as good as everyone saying. While he is putting up good #'s there is a reason for it. It's his rebound control. He is doing himself and his teammates no favors. He really isn't giving his team a chance to win. I can't be the only one seeing this.

MrCraigAnderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 03:06 AM
  #58
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 30,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Latvian View Post
Listen I love Lehner but he hasn't been as good as everyone saying. While he is putting up good #'s there is a reason for it. It's his rebound control. He is doing himself and his teammates no favors. He really isn't giving his team a chance to win. I can't be the only one seeing this.
Wait. Are you being serious?

Really? REALLY?

I think im apart of some sarcasm prank or something.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 03:14 AM
  #59
Vicarious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Latvian View Post
Listen I love Lehner but he hasn't been as good as everyone saying. While he is putting up good #'s there is a reason for it. It's his rebound control. He is doing himself and his teammates no favors. He really isn't giving his team a chance to win. I can't be the only one seeing this.
You do realize he faced 57 shots. The fact that a team gave up that many shots in a 3 period game is unbelievable. That level of failure falls purely on the defense and forwards.

Vicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 03:16 AM
  #60
ChocolateLeclaire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Wait. Are you being serious?

Really? REALLY?

I think im apart of some sarcasm prank or something.
Lehner needs to continue to work on his rebound control, but the thing is we seem to be underestimating how Anderson handles his rebounds so well. He plays a lot of shots into corners or non-danger zones because he knows how crappy this defense is after playing behind it for three years now.

Maybe people are FINALLY starting to see that Anderson nor Lehner is the issue with the team.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 03:18 AM
  #61
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Wait. Are you being serious?

Really? REALLY?

I think im apart of some sarcasm prank or something.
There's a reason that in 3 of 4 games that Lehner has played the opposing team has had 50+ shots. He is leaving a lot of rebounds and not controlling them at all. You aren't going to win games giving up 50 shots no matter how well the goaltender plays. While it's not all on Lehner, quite a bit is. People are just dismissing it because he has a lot of saves.

MrCraigAnderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 03:22 AM
  #62
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
You do realize he faced 57 shots. The fact that a team gave up that many shots in a 3 period game is unbelievable. That level of failure falls purely on the defense and forwards.
What I'm saying is he is a pretty big reason they gave up so many shots. Be interested into seeing the shots given up per minute when Anderson is playing compared to Lehner

Lehner 0.73 shots per minute (44 shots per 60)
Anderson 0.59 shots per minute (35 shots per 60)

MrCraigAnderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 03:45 AM
  #63
Benjamin
Shadilay
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: /
Posts: 29,908
vCash: 50
Lehner gets 57 shots, none of the goals were his fault, he stops 3 break aways and people are seriously complaining he wasn't good enough?

Every rookie goalie has rebound problems. It'll come.

Anderson has been good but Lehner has been better. Too bad the team never shows up for them.

Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 04:46 AM
  #64
ChocolateLeclaire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Lehner gets 57 shots, none of the goals were his fault, he stops 3 break aways and people are seriously complaining he wasn't good enough?

Every rookie goalie has rebound problems. It'll come.

Anderson has been good but Lehner has been better. Too bad the team never shows up for them.
This is what I've been saying all along! People want to blame a goalie but the reality is if this team had any semblance of team defense, it wouldn't matter who we start because either guy is a great goalie who would win games if the team in front of them played better.

Put either guy on a contender and they're both running for the Vezina.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 08:14 AM
  #65
SenzZen
Cool Keith
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,756
vCash: 500
This thread was created to suggest Lehner getting more starts would benefit the team.

I agree he's stood on his head, but it's pretty clear that they play just as badly or worse when he's in.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 09:07 AM
  #66
PaGEEsBack
tell a friend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,018
vCash: 234
Lehner sits on the bench for 2 weeks, comes in faces 57 shots, and posts a 9.29sv%.... lets ***** about rebound control.

I guarantee you any issue with Robins game will be solved when gets a chance to start consecutive games.

PaGEEsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 10:14 AM
  #67
Curtinho
Spero Meliora
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,702
vCash: 500
People talk about shots as though they define the game. The book on Lehner seems to be to take a ton of shots because he gives up juicy rebounds.

Regardless he's still a fantastic goaltender, as is Anderson...neither of them are going to continue to look good or win games behind the defence that we're icing right now. Either something has to give in the overall system philosophy, or the defence has to start playing way better in their roles.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 11:23 AM
  #68
Back In Black
CANADA IS HOCKEY
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Outside
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
This thread was created to suggest Lehner getting more starts would benefit the team.

I agree he's stood on his head, but it's pretty clear that they play just as badly or worse when he's in.
Exactly! People have to realize where our problem is and it isn't Goaltending.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Melnyk has made this team a BUDGET team, we won't be able to compete come playoff time, stop looking elsewhere for excuses & blame.

Back In Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 11:58 AM
  #69
Curtinho
Spero Meliora
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard View Post
Exactly! People have to realize where our problem is and it isn't Goaltending.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Melnyk has made this team a BUDGET team, we won't be able to compete come playoff time, stop looking elsewhere for excuses & blame.
This team showed last year that you can be successful as a budget team. The team this year is better than last year's...it's just a team effort thing. They have to play a certain way and get contributions from everyone everywhere on the ice. The effort just isn't there this year from players like Spezza and Karlsson especially that was the trademark of the team last year.

There's still a ton of time to turn things around, but right now relying heavily on guys like Cowen, Phillips and Wiercioch is hurting this team more than anything. We need help on the defensive end as well as more effort from our best players.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:05 PM
  #70
tony d
sugar crisp
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,777
vCash: 500
Lehner's a good goalie but he still gave up a 2 goal lead last night, that's not good and it shows to me he's not ready to be the team's #1 goalie just yet.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:12 PM
  #71
The Cake Is A Lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 20,983
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Lehner's a good goalie but he still gave up a 2 goal lead last night, that's not good and it shows to me he's not ready to be the team's #1 goalie just yet.
Anderson has been giving up leads as well, so what exactly is your point here? The team in front of Lehner is more to blame than Lehner himself. Put Lehner behind a defense like boston or chicago, and watch him succeed exponentially.


Last edited by The Cake Is A Lie: 11-02-2013 at 01:18 PM.
The Cake Is A Lie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:16 PM
  #72
KarlssonnSchultz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGPageau View Post
Lehner sits on the bench for 2 weeks, comes in faces 57 shots, and posts a 9.29sv%.... lets ***** about rebound control.

I guarantee you any issue with Robins game will be solved when gets a chance to start consecutive games.
THIS IS SUCH A HUGE FACTOR. The guy literally only stops pucks in practices every day for two weeks at a time, gets one game and yet look at his career stats. He's not being given a chance to work on his deficiencies in real time situations. I think he's going to be great either way but he's basically being wasted right now. He's not getting to develop and if I was him I'd be extremely unimpressed if he's going to continue getting 2 starts a month.

KarlssonnSchultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:20 PM
  #73
MrG
#Bring2DBack
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Lehner's a good goalie but he still gave up a 2 goal lead last night, that's not good and it shows to me he's not ready to be the team's #1 goalie just yet.
The team gave up 57 shots. Suggesting that it's Lehners fault for giving up the 2 goal lead is ludicrous.

We held two goal leads against Toronto, Chicago, and NYI (twice), and we lost all three games.

The team in front of the goaltenders is absolutley brutal. Lehner has been peppered in every game he's played this year, and they've had a chance to win each one.

To me, everytime Lehner has taken the net this season, he's looked like a #1 goalie.

MrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:26 PM
  #74
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 30,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Lehner's a good goalie but he still gave up a 2 goal lead last night, that's not good and it shows to me he's not ready to be the team's #1 goalie just yet.
Lol, I see what you did there, haha.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 02:13 PM
  #75
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,978
vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Lehner needs to continue to work on his rebound control, but the thing is we seem to be underestimating how Anderson handles his rebounds so well. He plays a lot of shots into corners or non-danger zones because he knows how crappy this defense is after playing behind it for three years now.

Maybe people are FINALLY starting to see that Anderson nor Lehner is the issue with the team.
Goaltending isn't the problem. But to say Anderson controls his rebounds better is absolutely laughable. His rebound control is what he's having trouble with the most this year.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.