HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Mario vs. Hasek in breakaways: who's more intimidating?

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Mario vs. Hasek in breakaways: who's more intimidating?

Between Mario Lemieux and Hasek who was more intimidating on breakaways or penalty shots? With either of them the opposing player always had a mental disadvantage regardless because they knew who was coming down on them or vice versa.

Lemieux - For all the marbles I dont think anyone would bet on anyone but Mario in a do or die situation on a penalty shot. Mario had a knack for making a goalie make the first move. Why? Well he had so many weapons. He had his long reach to deke guys out. Or if the goalie flinched just an inch Mario would just roof it top corner over the goalies shoulder and put it off the post and in. All the time! He always seemed to give the goalie a deer-in-the-headlights look. Its almost as if he had them at his mercy, and almost as if it was a game to him just to see them flinch before he burned them. Mario intimidated goalies more than anyone in the history of the game. He's 6/8 on penalty shots? I wonder who stopped him?

Hasek - He always gave shooters a brain freeze before they came down on him. As if they had to be perfect just to beat him. And basically they did. Hasek never went on the fake and his mask set him apart for the rest. You look at his unique mask and you KNEW it was Hasek you had to beat. That gave the shooters a disadvantage right off the bat. Hasek was so flexible and even when he was out of position he had the knack for making a save with his arm while his back was turned. You knew this was by far the best goalie in the league and one of the best ever so players often screwed up even before they got to the net. Or just froze and got confused when they got close to him. Look at the '98 Olympics vs. Canada, stopping all 5 shooters. At the '98 All-star skills competition he stopped 6 in a row!

In conclusion both are very intimidating and are the best ever for breakaways. I can remember both players making the other look foolish at least once. For Hasek it was in the '92 Cup finals. He stopped Lemieux on two breakaways in Game 4. For Lemieux it was in the '01 All-star game in the skills competition. He went in on Hasek and made him flinch and Lemieux roofed it top corner making Hasek seem human. The funny thing is Lemieux did it with such ease as if he knew what he was doing with such confidence. So who was more intimidating?

Old
07-20-2005, 04:27 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
He's 6/8 on penalty shots? I wonder who stopped him?
At least one was Hasek, in either '96 or '97.

Old
07-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Probably Hasek was more intimidating in his prime. However, neither of them are intimidating now. To beat Hasek on a penalty shot you have to get him flopping and then wait till he injures himself.

Old
07-20-2005, 04:38 PM
davemess

I would go Mario, just because if the player is good enough and is confident enough (and Mario was) then he is in controll of the situation and can make the Goalie do what he wants.

Its harder for the goalie to controll the situation simply because he doesnt have the puck.

Old
07-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Big Phil

Keep in mind this is an all time thing. Mario and Hasek arent the best anymore at 39. Its all time. Like say a '97-98 Hasek vs. a '88-96 Lemieux

Old
07-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Well, one of the most outstanding saves I've ever seen was by a young Hasek as a Blackhawk on a streaking Mario on a breakaway during the blowout game of the '92 Cup finals. So, Hasek may get the upper hand in this category.

Although, from a purely intimidation standpoint, Mario might get the nod. How's that for sitting on the fence?

Old
07-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Lemieux still has some intimidation factor left in him.

Just ask Brad Ference. Wherever the hell he is now.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
07-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Malefic74

Personally I always thought of Jagr as more intimidating than Mario. Mario has a great record on penalty shots, but I have seen him get stopped by journeymen like Brian Hayward.

I'd give this one to Hasek (in his prime) you never knew what he was going to do, but then from all appearances neither did he!

Old
07-20-2005, 06:10 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
...I can remember both players making the other look foolish at least once. For Hasek it was in the '92 Cup finals. He stopped Lemieux on two breakaways in Game 4. For Lemieux it was in the '01 All-star game in the skills competition. He went in on Hasek and made him flinch and Lemieux roofed it top corner making Hasek seem human.
In 2001 Hasek was human. In 1992 Mario was superhuman. so, whose making whom look foolish was more impressive? Hasek's on Mario obviously.

That said, this is a great thread. It gets us thinking and generates a lot of fence sitting, showing how good a question it is!

Mario was intimidating for a longer time, but for a couple of seasons there, Hasek was... unbelieveable. And the top shooters said they were intimidated, that Hasek got under their skin and convinced them they couldn't score on him.

The Sabres played an aggressive forechecking, full-press style which gave up several odd-man rushes against them, including breakaways. Why? As Peca said, "Dom is also our third defenseman."

Old
07-20-2005, 06:15 PM
babybruin

2002 Olympics: "Rusty tractor" Mario threaded 2 past Hasek in the Canada vs Czech match.

Old
07-20-2005, 10:39 PM
MagnusJondus
Faneca meets Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
He's 6/8 on penalty shots? I wonder who stopped him?
Bill Ranford when he was with the oilers if I remember correctly. It was the first time he was stopped and it almost trickled in 5-hole.

Old
07-20-2005, 11:19 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
Personally I always thought of Jagr as more intimidating than Mario. Mario has a great record on penalty shots, but I have seen him get stopped by journeymen like Brian Hayward.
I've seen Mario get stopped by all kinds of goalies. You can't score all the time.

Old
07-27-2005, 08:46 PM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
Mario is probably the best 1-1 and breakaway player of all time though. Does everyone agree? Or is there someone else people think can overtake the big guy in this area of the game?

In the current NHL. No one touches Kovalchuk. The guy is a machine.

I can't think of a truly dominant breakaway goalie in the current NHL.

Old
07-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Luigi Lemieux

mario was probably a better overall player in the early 90s, but his stickhandling and one on one play was at its peak around 1988-89, before his back injury in 1990. his moves at that point were downright disgusting, and if he was ever on a breakaway or penalty shot, it was a slam dunk goal.

Old
08-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Rick Middleton

Old
08-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

I think pavel bure or patrick roy in their prime were way better

Old
08-02-2005, 04:21 AM
Le Golie

I friend of mine used to be with the Sabres, he told me that one day after a skate session in training camp Wayne Primeau and another guy (can't remember the name but he was baout Primeau's calibre) each had 50 pucks at centre ice and they each took breakaways on Hasek.

One hundred pucks, an hour on the ice. Not one single goal. That's pretty amazing no matter who is shooting.

Old
08-02-2005, 04:23 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAE2
I think pavel bure or patrick roy in their prime were way better
Neither one of them were better. Bure was amazing, probably the second best I can think of. But he could not beat goalies like Lemieux can. And Patrick Roy never held a candle to Hasek on breakaways. Roy was beatable, Hasek was not.

Closed Thread