HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jordan Eberle to Pittsburgh

Old
10-27-2013, 08:56 PM
orby

vCash: 500
Jordan Eberle to Pittsburgh

This is a little loopy, but I think it's a fun idea to consider.

The Oilers are in need of defensive upgrades in order to contend, but are quite stacked with great forwards. The Pens are very thin at the winger position, especially in the top 6, but are loaded with high-quality defensemen and prospects. Here's a just-for-the-hell-of-it proposal that seeks to address both problems:

PENS GET
Jordan Eberle

OILERS GET
Kris Letang
Matt Niskanen

Letang is signed to a long (admittedly expensive) contract at 8 years, 7.25 million - that kicks in next season. For remainder of this year, his cap hit is 3.5 mil. Despite the insistence of some detractors, he is a very solid two-way defensemen in addition to his elite scoring talents. He would be the linchpin of Edmonton's defense for years to come. Matt Niskanen is a capable puck moving defenseman who can play on a second power play unit or kill penalties effectively. Niskanen is an impending UFA who makes 2.3 mil per year. The Pens, while they would be reluctant to part with Letang, can afford to lose both of these players due to their prospect depth on defense. (Edit for clairty - Niskanen is basically a cap dump in this trade, but I think he offers something useful to the Oilers. I know the Pens are giving more than they're getting here, but I think they can afford to.)

Eberle, who makes 6 million per year until 2018-19, would be a big upgrade to the Pens' top 6 - he'd more than likely play alongside Crosby - and this trade would allow them to play Dupuis on the third line, where many fans feel he is better suited to help the team. Pittsburgh's entire forward core becomes much more stable and injury-resistant with the addition of an upgrade to the first line, and Crosby would at long last have the fabled "elite winger" Pens fans have been clamoring for since Hossa skipped town.

Would something like this be appealing to Edmonton in the sense that it would address their defense issues?

Last edited by orby: 10-27-2013 at 09:11 PM.
orby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 08:57 PM
hlaverty06

Crosby+

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
I'd consider but we don't need or want Niskanen.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orby View Post
This is a little loopy, but I think it's a fun idea to consider.

The Oilers are in need of defensive upgrades in order to contend, but are quite stacked with great forwards. The Pens are very thin at the winger position, especially in the top 6, but are loaded with high-quality defensemen and prospects. Here's a just-for-the-hell-of-it proposal that seeks to address both problems:

PENS GET
Jordan Eberle

OILERS GET
Kris Letang
Matt Niskanen

Letang is signed to a long (admittedly expensive) contract at 8 years, 7.25 million - that kicks in next season. For remainder of this year, his cap hit is 3.5 mil. Despite the insistence of some detractors, he is a very solid two-way defensemen in addition to his elite scoring talents. He would be the linchpin of Edmonton's defense for years to come. Matt Niskanen is a capable puck moving defenseman who can play on a second power play unit or kill penalties effectively. Niskanen is an impending UFA who makes 2.3 mil per year. The Pens, while they would be reluctant to part with Letang, can afford to lose both of these players due to their prospect depth on defense.

Eberle, who makes 6 million per year until 2018-19, would be a big upgrade to the Pens' top 6 - he'd more than likely play alongside Crosby - and this trade would allow them to play Dupuis on the third line, where many fans feel he is better suited to help the team. Pittsburgh's entire forward core becomes much more stable and injury-resistant with the addition of an upgrade to the first line.

Would something like this be even close to as appealing to Edmonton as it is to Pittsburgh?
I don't think this is "appealing" to Pittsburgh at all.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 09:00 PM
orby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
I don't think this is "appealing" to Pittsburgh at all.
"Appealing" was the wrong word to use, I think I meant something more along the lines of "does this address Edmonton's issues?"

Old
10-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Anthony
HFBoards Sponsor

Pittsburgh wouldn't trade Letang. They just locked him up long term.

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Isaak16
The Universe Is Here

vCash: 262
As an Oilers fan yep.

Isaak16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sailorjerry96

i think a one for one would be more realistic. maybe eberle for letang and that might be too much for pittsb

sailorjerry96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Riptide

Not opposed to moving Letang in the right deal, but I wouldn't want to move both Letang and Niskanen without getting a D back who has some experience. To make the dollars work, that might mean Edmonton has to take a crappy contract (Glasses?) back.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 09:05 PM
orby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjerry96 View Post
i think a one for one would be more realistic. maybe eberle for letang and that might be too much for pittsb
the real reason I threw in Niskanen is because the Pens need to dump salary to make the trade viable Value-wise, a one for one is much closer, but it wouldn't work. Maybe in the interest of fairness Edmonton sends some picks the other way?

Old
10-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Blackshad

I don't even think Pittsburgh would do Letang for Eberle straight up.

Blackshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 09:08 PM
PensFreak

Wait what? Letang for Eberle... and Pittsburgh is adding? Addresses a need for Pittsburgh, but Letang is still more valuable, and a more irreplaceable player than Eberle.

Eberle is fantastic, and I've always been a fan since watching him in world juniors but... this isn't a good move for Pitt. It would be a bad trade for the Pens straight-up, let alone adding another solid piece to it.

PensFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 09:10 PM
orby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshad View Post
I think they would be remiss not to consider it, or another trade like it. Eberle is a legitimately great first line winger, something the Pens don't really have (Neal is technically a second liner and Beau Bennett is still a prospect). On defense, however, the Pens are filled to the brim - guys like Maatta, Bortuzzo, Despres, and to a lesser extent Dumoulin are all viable options to see more time in the big leagues, and down the line, Pouliot and Harrington project to be great NHLers as well. if two out of those six guys pan out, this is basically a wash.

Last edited by orby: 10-27-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old
10-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Nietzsche Zone Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by orby View Post
I think they would be remiss not to consider it, or another trade like it. Eberle is a legitimately great first line winger, something the Pens don't really have (Neal is technically a second liner and Beau Bennett is still a prospect). On defense, however, the Pens are filled to the brim - guys like Maatta, Bortuzzo, Despres, and to a lesser extent Dumoulin are all viable options to see more time in the big leagues, and down the line, Pouliot and Harrington project to be great NHLers as well. if two out of those six guys pan out, this is basically a wash.
there's a huge difference between "seeing more time in the big leagues" and being thrown into top 4 minutes (two of those you listed would need to be, plus another to cover Scuderi's injury). this would be a terrible move for the Pens.

Nietzsche Zone Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 09:22 PM
ManofSteel55

It would address Edmonton's most glaring need. I'd do it I think, as much as it would sting to lose Eberle.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 09:23 PM
orby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche Zone Play View Post
there's a huge difference between "seeing more time in the big leagues" and being thrown into top 4 minutes (two of those you listed would need to be, plus another to cover Scuderi's injury). this would be a terrible move for the Pens.
Obviously the Scuderi injury makes this unworkable in the short-term. But I think letting Despres see top-4 minutes isn't out of the question - despite the fact that the Pens have sent him to the gulags in WB/S, I think it's a little goofy to think he's not a viable 3rd or fourth defenseman. He played very well last season. And, hell, as long as Orpik's around, he'll be in the top 4 anyway...so If Scuds were healthy, something like:

Scuderi - Maatta
Orpik - Martin
Despres - Bortuzzo

doesn't seem out of the question to me.

Old
10-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Meh. All Bylsma would do is force Eberle onto Malkin's left wing, instead of the obvious spot on Crosby's right, so it'd be pointless for at least 4 years anyways.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Riptide

Letang, Niskanen, Glass (6.9m)
For
Eberle, Petry (50%), 2014 3rd (6.95m)

Petry gives Pittsburgh a bit of insurance this season (with moving Nisky and Letang), is a big guy, and can play. He's a RFA this summer. The 3rd helps as the Pens have moved a lot of draft picks in recent years. Glass and Niskanen are there for cap reasons, however both contracts expire this summer.

Pens (healthy):

Kunitz - Crosby - Eberle
Neal - Malkin - Dupuis/Jokinen
Bennett - Sutter - Dupuis/Jokinen

Martin - Orpik
Petry - Scuderi
Bort - Maatta
Engo

Pens also have Despres, Harrington and Dumoulin all in the minors who are likely close to being ready (or are).

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 09:44 PM
orby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
For

Petry gives Pittsburgh a bit of insurance this season (with moving Nisky and Letang), is a big guy, and can play. He's a RFA this summer. The 3rd helps as the Pens have moved a lot of draft picks in recent years.

Pens (healthy):

Kunitz - Crosby - Eberle
Jokinen - Sutter - Dupuis

Martin - Orpik
Petry - Scuderi
Bort - Maatta
Engo

Pens also have Despres, Harrington and Dumoulin all in the minors who are likely close to being ready (or are).
I like this better than my proposal

Old
10-27-2013, 10:32 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
For

Petry gives Pittsburgh a bit of insurance this season (with moving Nisky and Letang), is a big guy, and can play. He's a RFA this summer. The 3rd helps as the Pens have moved a lot of draft picks in recent years. Glass and Niskanen are there for cap reasons, however both contracts expire this summer.

Pens (healthy):

Kunitz - Crosby - Eberle

Martin - Orpik
Petry - Scuderi
Bort - Maatta
Engo

That's actually pretty reasonable.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 10:33 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I'd consider but we don't need or want Niskanen.
Yes you do. But anyways...

Also - I am in no way interested in trading Letang in a deal centered around Eberle.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 10:49 PM
KIRK

Quote:
For

Pens (healthy):

Kunitz - Crosby - Eberle

Martin - Orpik
Petry - Scuderi
Bort - Maatta
Engo

Good proposal Riptide. Doesn't really seem unreasonable on value or in terms of addressing each teams needs with one minor issue: 6M is a lot for the Penguins to pay for a third line right wing.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshad View Post
This. You don't trade Norris trophy finalists and guys like Letang unless you are getting a guy like Corey Perry in return. No slight to Eberle but Edmonton would have to add.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Meh. All Bylsma would do is force Eberle onto Malkin's left wing, instead of the obvious spot on Crosby's right, so it'd be pointless for at least 4 years anyways.
This exactly. Bylsma is a ****ing moron. He'd have Eberle playing backup goalie before we know it.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:24 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
This exactly. Bylsma is a ****ing moron. He'd have Eberle playing backup goalie before we know it.
Ahead of Zatkoff?

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote