HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nathan MacKinnon - Rookie Season

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2014, 07:03 AM
Colorado Avalanche

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama21 View Post
If he pops 30 this year, what's the ceiling in year two?
What ceiling?

Old
01-29-2014, 07:29 AM
kento
Talkin bout Practice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama21 View Post
If he pops 30 this year, what's the ceiling in year two?
The sky.

Old
01-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Dutchess
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
The sky.
I just had a mental image of Mack yelling "I'm the king of the world!" and then I felt very bad about myself.

Old
01-29-2014, 08:35 AM
Bubba Thudd
Random Stranger

vCash: 5891
That would be Duchene, standing at the prow of his fishing boat with his bass in his hand.

01-29-2014, 08:37 AM
KingEriksson
#ErikssonToNYR

He's a stud.

Old
01-29-2014, 12:17 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuras View Post
This is an absurd question but do you still think he should change his number to 22 after the season?
29 is growing on me

Old
01-29-2014, 12:32 PM
GamingGiant

I still like 22 more. Hoping he changes for next year, but don't care too much if he doesn't.

Old
01-29-2014, 12:53 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I like 29 and think he keeps it. But I understand if he wants to go back to 22. The 9s thing is pretty cool on this team though.

Old
01-29-2014, 01:00 PM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuras View Post
This is an absurd question but do you still think he should change his number to 22 after the season?
I think he should keep 29. He's already starting make it his own. Plus, 22 will always be Claude Lemieux's number to me.

I won't be upset if he changes it to 22, but I definitely want to see what he does before I buy his jersey.

Old
01-29-2014, 01:03 PM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
I like 29 and think he keeps it. But I understand if he wants to go back to 22. The 9s thing is pretty cool on this team though.
I like that the numbers of the 3 franchise cornerstones (according to Roy) are 92929.

Old
01-31-2014, 01:50 AM
ikonos

He should be a 40G 60A guy consistently with few 50G seasons. I long for the good old Avs days that has multiple PPG guys but I always felt they under achieved for the firepower they had back then.

Old
01-31-2014, 02:52 AM
calvin0416*

MacKinnon has looked more confident as the season has gone along. He's been getting better and better every game and to see him developing this fast and be this good at only 18 years old, is a great sign that he can be knocking on the door of "generational" player status. Seeing a few of his latest goals in which he uses his explosive speed to blow by the opposition and then use his incredible release/shot, makes me believe he can be a 40-50 goal scorer one day, but let's remember, he's a center, so he's going to have to dish out the puck a lot more than he currently is doing, unless he wants to move to wing (which I doubt since he's a natural center). It's hard to expect centers to score 50 goals or even 40. Superstar wingers can do that, but centers usually lead the team in points as they rack up assists along with a healthy amount of goals.

I think if your center has 50 goals and only 30 assists, there is something wrong lol. But if you can score 50 goals and still get 60 assists, then that's Crosby/Gretzky/Lemieux like.

Old
01-31-2014, 03:18 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Is Stamkos not a center? That's who Nate is, a goal scorer. He had a great assist tonight too. Nate is going to be the sniper on this team for years to come. There are plenty of passers and playmakers on this team. Duchene is actually more of a playmaker though he is trying to score more. I don't think you can make that generalization at all. MacKinnon uses his speed at center to create space and his fantastic shot to score. I don't want him to change his game at all.

Anyway, fantastic night for MacKinnon. Those 3 penalties he and Duchene drew in a row were great too. So much fun to watch the kid every night.

Old
01-31-2014, 03:21 AM
OldSchoolAvalanche*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
I still like 22 more. Hoping he changes for next year, but don't care too much if he doesn't.
I like 29 - 9 - 92

Old
01-31-2014, 03:31 AM
calvin0416*

Quote:
Is Stamkos not a center? That's who Nate is, a goal scorer. He had a great assist tonight too. Nate is going to be the sniper on this team for years to come. There are plenty of passers and playmakers on this team. Duchene is actually more of a playmaker though he is trying to score more. I don't think you can make that generalization at all. MacKinnon uses his speed at center to create space and his fantastic shot to score. I don't want him to change his game at all.

Anyway, fantastic night for MacKinnon. Those 3 penalties he and Duchene drew in a row were great too. So much fun to watch the kid every night.
I agree with you that Mac has actually been compared to that of Stamkos (a shoot first, pass second center). And as for personal success and achievement, yes, it would be great for Mac to score 50 and only have 30 assists. But if you looked at TB lighting, they have been very mediocore despite Stamkos putting up 50 and 60 goal seasons. When Stamkos went down with the leg injury, TB actually got better on the standings and I believe there is a reason for that.

When I look at Ovechkin (even though he's a winger), he's another prime example of a player who can score 60 goals a year, and yet his team is never a cup contender.

I'm not saying that MacKinnon has to change his game, but to IMPROVE his game. Believe it or not, despite how good he is this year, he's still not great. He's got a lot to learn and a lot he can improve upon. I don't want to see Mac score 50 goals a year but only have 30 assists and see the Avs never contend for the cup. I'd much rather have MacKinnon follow the path of Crosby (his good buddy and IDOL), where he can still score 50 goals a year, BUT also have 60 or 70 assists too, and make his team a year in and year out cup contender. That's the MacKinnon I believe in. It would be great to see him have personal success like that of a Stamkos, but I'd rather have Mac aim more for a Crosby-like career where he will one day hoist the Cup and be a complete player.

Last edited by calvin0416*: 01-31-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old
01-31-2014, 03:40 AM
Avsboy
#TheStructure

Mackinnon will never reach the Crosby elite level, 40-50 G 60-70 A. He isn't a pass first kind of player. He will be like Stamkos.

Mackinnon is fully able to play that kind of game, but you can tell immediately that he prefers to do the goal scoring himself. Even at the beginning of the season when he was racking up assists they were often off his shot attempts. There are only a few playmaking moments I can think of from Mack, such as that beautiful pass to RoR he made one game and the pass today to Mitchell which set up the Talbot goal.

Old
01-31-2014, 03:42 AM
calvin0416*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
Mackinnon will never reach the Crosby elite level, 40-50 G 60-70 A. He isn't a pass first kind of player. He will be like Stamkos.

Mackinnon is fully able to play that kind of game, but you can tell immediately that he prefers to do the goal scoring himself. Even at the beginning of the season when he was racking up assists they were often off his shot attempts. There are only a few playmaking moments I can think of from Mack, such as that beautiful pass to RoR he made one game and the pass today to Mitchell which set up the Talbot goal.
I do agree. This is an accurate assessment of his game. He's an amazing goal scorer, just wish he'd become the complete player and be the kind of center that makes his line and team better, not just himself.

Old
01-31-2014, 03:56 AM
calvin0416*

When people ask, "Who is the best player in the game?" They often say Crosby hands down. Why? Because he does it all as a center. Scores, playmakes, wins championships, makes others and his team better, back checks hard, hits, hockey IQ etc.

Stamkos is never thought as the best player in the NHL. He's probably the best sniper in the NHL. The best goal scorer would go to Ovechkin hands down as he can deke, dangle, or shoot to score. Stamkos is the best at the one-timers. Stamkos is a lot more like Brett Hull (winger style).

Here's a list of some of the all time greats who have MORE goals than assists.
Brett Hull, Mike Gartner, Dino Cicarelli and couple currently like Stamkos and Ovechkin. Even when Hull won the Cup with Dallas, it was never really because of him. Hull was never seen as that complete player who can lead and control the game like a boss. He was undoubtedly the bests sniper and one of the best goal scorers in history but he needed Oates to feed him. We also don't hear much about Gartner or Cicarelli or ANYONE else who has had more goals than assists by the end of their careers.

On the other hand, here's a short list of best known players with more assists than goals at careers end: Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, and even current guys like Selanne, Crosby and Tavares. These are the sort of players people remember and often refer to as not only the best goal scorers but best player period.

As a MacKinnon fan, I hope to see MacKinnon join the ranks of the 2nd list of players I mentioned (more assists than goals), than the first list of players. He can still score as many goals as he wants, but I'm hoping he's going to be better and bigger than just goals. MacKinnon has taken about 150 shots on net which is very good. But for example, a guy like Crosby has taken 200 shots on net and still has 27 goals but almost twice as many assists. This means that just because you take 200 shots on net, you can still rack up assists at a torrid pace. You do not diminish goal scoring by trying to get more assists. Rather, diminishing assists at the cost of goals, diminishes your game and sets a limit or ceiling. Remember, the greatest goal scorer in NHL history himself has more assists than goals. It doesn't diminish your game, but the other way does.

Old
01-31-2014, 03:58 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Of course MacKinnon can improve, nobody is at their best at 18. It's just wrong to assume centers have to be playmakers especially when this team already has several playmakers. There are a lot of generalizations there, it's not fair to compare him to the absolute best in the game right now. And not everyone agrees on who the best type of player is. Isn't that why there are hundreds of Ovi vs Sid threads? Teams are constructed different with different types of talent around them and players also have to be true to their strengths.

Two of my favorite Mack passes are to McGinn for his first point and the sweet pass he gave to Landy in one of the early games against Dallas.

Old
01-31-2014, 03:59 AM
viach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post

I am OK if he become a Stamkos v2

Old
01-31-2014, 04:04 AM
calvin0416*

Quote:
Originally Posted by viach View Post
I am OK if he become a Stamkos v2
But why be a Stamkos v2 when he can be a Crosby v2?

Let's not put on any limits on the kid

Old
01-31-2014, 04:11 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Why not just enjoy this?

Old
01-31-2014, 04:14 AM
calvin0416*

Quote:
Of course MacKinnon can improve, nobody is at their best at 18. It's just wrong to assume centers have to be playmakers especially when this team already has several playmakers. There are a lot of generalizations there, it's not fair to compare him to the absolute best in the game right now. And not everyone agrees on who the best type of player is. Isn't that why there are hundreds of Ovi vs Sid threads? Teams are constructed different with different types of talent around them and players also have to be true to their strengths.

Two of my favorite Mack passes are to McGinn for his first point and the sweet pass he gave to Landy in one of the early games against Dallas.
Ovi is sort of a bad example as he really only has about 15 more goals than he does assists for his career but I had to put him on that list. Even in his junior days, he always had more assists than goals. I do think that when MacKinnon eventually becomes the top line center or 2nd line center, he'll have better scorers on the wing to play with so his assists will start to go up. I also agree when someone else said earlier that most of MacKinnon's assists seemed to be coming off of rebounds and broken plays as opposed to being the primary assist. The good news is he's just starting his career and we've yet to see the best of him. It is unfair to already compare him to either a Stamkos or Crosby....who knows, he may end up being none of the above and do something entirely different. I just want him to succeed as he's my favorite player (was even before he got drafted), so I'll expect nothing short the best for him.

Old
01-31-2014, 04:16 AM
calvin0416*

Quote:
Why not just enjoy this?

believe me, I enjoy it like a superbowl game everytime he scores.
I even made a FB page of him posting all of his goals whenever I can
at NathanMacKinnon29. As I said, I want him to be more than just an amazing goal scorer. I want him to be the best player period or at least challenge Sid for that title hehe.

Old
01-31-2014, 05:16 AM
JoeSakic13

With regards to the number situation, I look at it like this:

Peter Forsberg - 21
Joe Sakic - 19

But in all seriousness, I hope he keeps #29. It's a number that no star forward has had so far in the NHL (however that was Ken Dryden's number) thus it allows him to create his own legacy for the number. If he switches to #22 he'll be using the same number that guys like Mike Bossy, Dino Ciccarelli, Tiger Williams, and Daniel Sedin wore. Not to mention I still get PTSD outbreaks associated with the burgandy/white and the #22 thanks to Matt Hunwick.

Last edited by JoeSakic13: 01-31-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Closed Thread