HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs sign Klee

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2003, 09:14 AM
Club301

vCash: 500
Leafs sign Klee

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=55355

Leafs sign Klee to a one year deal...

Old
09-27-2003, 09:17 AM
Transplanted Caper

THANK GOD...........THIS JUST MADE MY DAY....We Still arnt great but what a pickup....

Old
09-27-2003, 09:24 AM
IGM

Now they have two solid D men.

Old
09-27-2003, 09:38 AM
brianscot

Nice pickup by the Leafs.

Klee is a solid, stay at home and make em pay defenseman.

Not a star, but a glue type who can contribute greatly to la long playoff run.

Old
09-27-2003, 09:45 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

"Not a star, but a glue type who can contribute greatly to la long playoff run."

Not if he plays like he did int he Tampa series...

I'm very interested to see what kind of money he got.

Old
09-27-2003, 10:06 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
"Not a star, but a glue type who can contribute greatly to la long playoff run."

Not really a big splash. Look at the Oilers' signing of Staios 3 years ago. He's been a solid 4-5 defenseman and isn't making big bucks. If Klee is getting more than 2Million the Leafs overspent.

Old
09-27-2003, 10:07 AM
AlMo

Two solid dman? Cmon give us 3 Kaberle, McCabe and Klee. Marchment and Berg count as a 1/4 dman and we'll see what Cola can do.

Old
09-27-2003, 10:16 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Not the best guy we could have got, but a good signing nontheless I suppose. Glad the Leafs didnt cave in and give him a 2 yr deal.

Ive heard everything from 'this guy is a top 4' to 'this guy is a #5' ...so we'll see.

Old
09-27-2003, 10:25 AM
Grizzly Adams

whao, the Leafs addressed their needs.

solid guy too.

Old
09-27-2003, 10:27 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

"Not really a big splash. Look at the Oilers' signing of Staios 3 years ago. He's been a solid 4-5 defenseman and isn't making big bucks. If Klee is getting more than 2Million the Leafs overspent."

I'm more curious, as the Caps' initial offer to Klee was a 3 year deal at $6 mil total. He wanted a multi-year deal, and settled for a one-year deal. Now I'm interested in how much he got or didn't get.

Old
09-27-2003, 11:38 AM
Rippin' Blue Tucks

Yeah! Finally!!!! Way to go LEAFS!!!

Old
09-27-2003, 11:45 AM
IGM

Your right, three good D men.

Old
09-27-2003, 11:48 AM
CCF
This is the year....

Smells like a Lachance situation to me.

Old
09-27-2003, 12:23 PM
JeanValjean

vCash:
Klee is a steady defenseman. He's undersized and cannot compete effectively against the stronger and faster top forwards on most teams. He will play an honest game though and as long as the Leafs don't expect too much from him he'll play valuable minutes there.

As a Caps fan I'm glad he's not returning. He's the kind of player that shows that he belongs at the NHL level while at the same time other teams salivate to see on the ice when their big boys step out.

Klee's significant +/- numbers can be attributed to playing so much with Gonchar and by extension with Jagr. He has a truly wicked slapshot but can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I don't mean to be so down on Klee and I hope you Leaf fans like him. I just call em' like I see em' and I see Klee as a marginal NHLer. Good for depth in TO.

Old
09-27-2003, 12:40 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I agree that this signing has a Columbus-Vancouver-Lachance situation feel to it. However, it does make the Leafs' blueline look far better than it did a short while ago.

~Canucklehead~

09-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
Smells like a Lachance situation to me.
Please explain.

Old
09-27-2003, 01:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue
Not the best guy we could have got, but a good signing nontheless I suppose. Glad the Leafs didnt cave in and give him a 2 yr deal.

Ive heard everything from 'this guy is a top 4' to 'this guy is a #5' ...so we'll see.
This guy is a 5.

He is Sylvain cote revisited. He's going to come and go, in and out of the lineup.

Old
09-27-2003, 01:36 PM
I_r_1337

Do you have any idea what your talking about? Klee is physically solid as it gets. He's not injury prone at all and has showed no signs of slowing down. While he's not a top 3 guy(except in Washington) he is extremely strong, physical and durrable. The injury list is the last place he'll spend the year.

Old
09-27-2003, 01:49 PM
CCF
This is the year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers
Please explain.
From what I heard, Klee played last season alongside Gonchar. Playing next to Gonchar most certainly gave his value a boost, and made him look like a better player than he actually was.

This was the case in Vancouver where Lachance was partnered with Jovo, making him look better than the talents he has. Looking back to last year, Lachance was stuck with a player whose skill level was nowhere near Jovo's, and because of this it was quite evident that any success that Lachance had in Vancouver could be credited to his former partner.

Simply put, Klee only looked that good last year because of who he played with. He had a good year, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him play at an average quality in TO like Lachance has done in Columbus.

Old
09-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGM
Now they have two solid D men.
You mean the Capitals have two solid D-men??

Old
09-27-2003, 02:13 PM
ziggy

Anyone got any ideas on how much he got? What did he make last year?

Old
09-27-2003, 02:23 PM
brianscot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall

Somehow Washington losing to Tampa falls onto Klee's lap?

He's a complimentary players, not a star. Tampa has better offensive depth than the Caps and got better goaltending. Series over.

Old
09-27-2003, 03:20 PM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanValjean
Klee is a steady defenseman. He's undersized and cannot compete effectively against the stronger and faster top forwards on most teams. He will play an honest game though and as long as the Leafs don't expect too much from him he'll play valuable minutes there.

As a Caps fan I'm glad he's not returning. He's the kind of player that shows that he belongs at the NHL level while at the same time other teams salivate to see on the ice when their big boys step out.

Klee's significant +/- numbers can be attributed to playing so much with Gonchar and by extension with Jagr. He has a truly wicked slapshot but can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I don't mean to be so down on Klee and I hope you Leaf fans like him. I just call em' like I see em' and I see Klee as a marginal NHLer. Good for depth in TO.
Two questions - if Klee's numbers were attributable to Gonchar, why is it that Gonchar's +/- numbers were worse than Klee's last season? So were Jagr's, actually - a difference of 17 goals. And all this on a team that scored just a handful more goals than they let in. Second, is the Washington coach an idiot? I only ask because he played Klee with Gonchar much of last season, and anyone with two eyes to see can see that Gonchar takes a lot of risks out there and isn't the best d-man in his own end. This being the case, why would you pair Klee with Gonchar if he is only a 'marginal' NHL defenseman? Was there no other option? I don't see a lot of Washington games, so I'm asking honestly. I just don't see how this guy has managed to pull a con jon on a lot of people league-wide who seem to think that he's a little better than 'marginal'.

I don't think that Klee is a top-flight defenseman by any stretch of the imagination, and I think he will provide some nice depth and solidity to Toronto's defense while allowing them to break in a wandering youngster or two, but don't you think your painting the picture a little bleakly?

Old
09-27-2003, 03:54 PM
JeanValjean

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage
Two questions - if Klee's numbers were attributable to Gonchar, why is it that Gonchar's +/- numbers were worse than Klee's last season? So were Jagr's, actually - a difference of 17 goals. And all this on a team that scored just a handful more goals than they let in. Second, is the Washington coach an idiot? I only ask because he played Klee with Gonchar much of last season, and anyone with two eyes to see can see that Gonchar takes a lot of risks out there and isn't the best d-man in his own end. This being the case, why would you pair Klee with Gonchar if he is only a 'marginal' NHL defenseman? Was there no other option? I don't see a lot of Washington games, so I'm asking honestly. I just don't see how this guy has managed to pull a con jon on a lot of people league-wide who seem to think that he's a little better than 'marginal'.

I don't think that Klee is a top-flight defenseman by any stretch of the imagination, and I think he will provide some nice depth and solidity to Toronto's defense while allowing them to break in a wandering youngster or two, but don't you think your painting the picture a little bleakly?

First off, I've been watchin' hockey for, ugh, 20 years now and keenly remember when the Caps' blueline was Rod Langway, Scott Stevens, Kevin Hatcher and Larry Murphy. The league has changed through expansion and players like Klee now have a job. I miss those days and I'm sure that creeps into my player evaluations. Back then, Klee was a marginal NHLer. Today, he can find work.

I don't mean to be bleak. If I'm building a team, Klee is the kind of player I stay away from. He is pretty long on heart but just short enough on talent that the better teams (watch what Ottawa's offense does while Klee is on the ice) will dominate him come playoff time.

Old
09-27-2003, 04:24 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
From what I heard, Klee played last season alongside Gonchar. Playing next to Gonchar most certainly gave his value a boost, and made him look like a better player than he actually was.

This was the case in Vancouver where Lachance was partnered with Jovo, making him look better than the talents he has. Looking back to last year, Lachance was stuck with a player whose skill level was nowhere near Jovo's, and because of this it was quite evident that any success that Lachance had in Vancouver could be credited to his former partner.

Simply put, Klee only looked that good last year because of who he played with. He had a good year, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him play at an average quality in TO like Lachance has done in Columbus.
Fair enough.

Closed Thread