HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Chicago and General Sports Thread XXII - Cubs/Sox/Bulls/TEAM USA

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2013, 10:24 AM
RayP

vCash: 500
He can't recover form a meniscus tear within like 4-5 months? Yikes...

Old
11-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
He's having it reattached instead of removed

Old
11-25-2013, 10:26 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
There's 2 options. Have it taken out which is a quicker recovery or more problematic down the road. If he was 30, he'd probably do that/

The other option is to reattach it, which has a longer recovery but shouldn't lead to problems later in his career.

Old
11-25-2013, 10:28 AM
RayP

Ah, gotcha. My bad then.

Old
11-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Illinihockey

Westbrook had his reattached.

Old
11-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Time to join tank nation.

Old
11-25-2013, 11:29 AM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

Jabari looks like Grant Hill.

Old
11-25-2013, 11:34 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Time to join tank nation.
Still a playoff team easily unless they someone can deal everyone off.

Old
11-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Still a playoff team easily unless they someone can deal everyone off.
Yeah, I know.
Have to trade Deng (almost surely is leaving in FA anyway) and see if anyone wants to take on Boozer's expiring deal. Get rid of those two and the team will be in the best position for the future.

Old
11-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

I wouldn't mind if they blew the team up at this point. This roster as stands will never win a championship.

Old
11-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Know that some folks here go to school in the Indy area, so figured that this might peak your interest:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...-indy/3690949/

Indianapolis getting an ECHL team for next season. No word on what will happen to the USHL Ice. Also, at least from some digging on the ECHL Board, a trademark has already been filed, so the team might be called the Indianapolis Fuel.

http://trademarks.justia.com/owners/...b-llc-2726192/

Wonder what it will mean for the Ice. Gotta wonder if relocation is in their future.

As for Rose...ugh. Ugh to the injury and what it means for the Bulls and ugh for having to hear about it for the next few months like we did the last 18 months or whatever it was. Between that and the Bears and the QB talk, they dominate the airwaves and media attention. Meanwhile, the resident hockey team in town is a defending champion that's at the top or near the top of the standings depending on the day and they barely get a peep.

I understand where the Hawks fall in the Chicago sports landscape, especially where sports radio is involved, and I'm at peace with it and normally don't care, but it's kind of annoyed me lately. They got more talk and attention after being drubbed by the Avs than any other time lately. Like, yeah, let's give attention when it's negative only. Then again, that's somewhat why the Bulls and Bears have gotten so much pub is because of negative things (Rose and Bulls struggling, injury and Cutler injury and team diong well without, etc). I don't know, there's no point to this rant, really. I understand how things to, just annoying sometimes. Yet...I listen anyway.

Old
11-25-2013, 02:13 PM
hisgirlfriday

I am almost certainly biased as a hard core Bears fan and not really a Bulls fan, but I listen to the Score a lot in the car and while I don't mind the attention the Bears get, I do think the attention the Bulls get from Chicago sports radio is out of sync with their actual popularity especially in comparison to the Blackhawks, per that survey that came out showing the Hawks just barely behind the Bulls and more popular than the Sox. I suppose some of that has to do with corporate synergies and broadcasting contracts. For example, Illinois basketball was mostly ignored/ridiculed when they moved the broadcasts from the Score to WIND but since they've moved back the attention is more positive.

Old
11-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
I am almost certainly biased as a hard core Bears fan and not really a Bulls fan, but I listen to the Score a lot in the car and while I don't mind the attention the Bears get, I do think the attention the Bulls get from Chicago sports radio is out of sync with their actual popularity especially in comparison to the Blackhawks, per that survey that came out showing the Hawks just barely behind the Bulls and more popular than the Sox. I suppose some of that has to do with corporate synergies and broadcasting contracts. For example, Illinois basketball was mostly ignored/ridiculed when they moved the broadcasts from the Score to WIND but since they've moved back the attention is more positive.
That absolutely does have something to do with it (re: Illini hoops). Look no further than ESPN's attention to the NHL.

Old
11-25-2013, 02:20 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

It's all about who the on air people care about. They all tend to be basketball people, B&B especially. Mac is a football and hockey guy 1st, but he's out for now.

Then 1000, if you actually bother with them, is the Bulls station and is obviously going to focus on them, seeing as it's ESPN who always hypes their own properties.

Old
11-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Bulls need to go with another full rebuild

Move Deng and Noah (Boozer if possible as well) and stop pretending that Rose is a franchise talent. At this point with his injuries he is unreliable ? and cant be relied upon to be the "guy"

Old
11-25-2013, 02:39 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Looks like my prediction for the Bulls in the first post on this topic is turning out to be (un)surprisingly accurate...

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
Old
11-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
NBA basketball is way, way more popular in the NHL. The Bulls were selling out the UC when they were finishing dead last in the NBA. The Hawks couldn't even draw 10,000 a night until 5 years ago. I love the Hawks but come on....they aren't the Bulls.

Old
11-25-2013, 03:17 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

I agree with you, but attendance numbers aren't a good indicator of the reasons for that. 1 team still had the after effects of 6 championships and a massive STH waiting list due to it. 1 team had, well, I really don't need to explain to you the effect Dollar Bill had on the fan base.

Old
11-25-2013, 03:57 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Bulls are going nowhere this year, Bears seem to be in a deep enough slide to not expect them to come out of it, and neither baseball team is going anywhere next year.

Looks like I'm pinning my hopes on the Hawks and Illini hoops for in-market entertainment for the foreseeable future...

Old
11-25-2013, 04:13 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Solid doesn't win championships. Solid stays solid.
Are FA's in the NBA that picky to where they wouldn't be willing to join a talented core and be a major piece in a championship?

Old
11-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
Are FA's in the NBA that picky to where they wouldn't be willing to join a talented core and be a major piece in a championship?
For whatever reason, free agents have never been very keen to come to Chicago. I'm not sure exactly what it is - they've made pitches to nearly every big name (when they were in a position to do so) since 2000 by my memory, and never got one.

But hey, Mercer! Fantastic.
(Boozer is a good player and a good signing - although overpaid - but obviously not on the level of the players I'm talking about).

So because of that, the way the Bulls will get better is by tanking this essentially pointless season and getting a nice pick in the best draft in a very long time. Maybe Stern can rig the draft for Chicago again.

Old
11-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Bulls are going nowhere this year, Bears seem to be in a deep enough slide to not expect them to come out of it, and neither baseball team is going anywhere next year.

Looks like I'm pinning my hopes on the Hawks and Illini hoops for in-market entertainment for the foreseeable future...
This is actually a good opportunity for the Hawks to pick up more fans/solidify their fan base even more. The stars are aligned so to speak.

Old
11-25-2013, 07:45 PM
madgoat33

parker is a chicago kid after all...

Old
11-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Cullksinikers

The Bulls aren't a lottery team unless Butler is given additional rest and Deng plus one of Boozer and Noah is dealt.

Old
11-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
The Bulls aren't a lottery team unless Butler is given additional rest and Deng plus one of Boozer and Noah is dealt.
Bulls without Deng are probably bad enough to get into the 8-10 range. From that point it's our old friend David and his draft lottery that is absolutely never fixed, ever.

EDIT: Forgot that he's retiring this year. Oh well.

Last edited by Chris Hansen: 11-25-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Closed Thread