HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

DOMS and the groin

Old
11-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Stickchecked

vCash: 500
DOMS and the groin

For those who don't know, DOMS = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

We seem to have some smart people in this forum so I wonder if anyone has any insight into DOMS and how to react to it, especially in the context of the groin. Saturday night I did a solid lower body workout, much more focused than I normally do.

The next day my gluts and quads were definitely torn up/raw but the groin was minimally sore. I skated with my daughter and while I was sore, it was a pretty pedestrian pace and I felt fine.

On Monday, overall the pain started feeling better, I got invited to spare for a Monday game so I said yes. But during the day, my groin muscles started to become more and more sore. By game time, it was pretty bad and I limped through the game as best I could. Came home and took a 15 minute cold bath.

Morning comes and my groin feels great. Thankfully nothing's injured, I have fine mobility, ready to climb a mountain. Walked the dog and felt far better than I did yesterday. But since 4 o'clock today, the soreness is becoming more and more, it feels a little like mild burning down my adductors.

I'm fine with discomfort so I'm less concerned about tips for managing the pain. (But open to suggestions) But I've always struggled with understanding DOMS in the groin, is it a sign that something is injured or is it just over-exerted? Is it something that calls for complete rest or is the bike or public skating ok to do? Why is there such a delay? And why does the groin follow a pattern far different from other muscle groups?

A quick google shows this to be one of the great mysteries of sports medicine, but I'd love to hear people's experiences with it. I take pride when it comes to knowing my body but everything related to these DOMS episodes in the groin is bewildering to me.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 06:31 PM
CarpeNoctem
I Pity #26

My experience is that it's an inflammatory phenomenon, primarily produced after you push yourself beyond what you normally would. Inflammation is a normal part after any heavy workout, and it may be delayed because of some, as of yet, unknown neuro-muscular factors. While DOMS is literally a pain, it's also often a sign that noticeable gains will some afterward.

You just need to give yourself more time after a work-out. If you do a heavy leg session, plan at least 48-60 full hours without really using them again.

CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

It should be referred to as "hurts sooooo good." It usually indicates I got a good workout in or changing up my routine was a success. I have found that BCAA supplements work well in limiting the amount and/or duration as they help muscle recover quicker, so that may be something to look into.

Other than that, I just get a good warm-up in or stretch or push past it.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:42 PM
kiddynamite91

vCash: 390
From my experiences and being a personal trainer, you wanna keep the blood flowing to that area and move around as much as you can. Heat, stretching and massaging helps as well. Anti-inflammatory meds will help too but if you're trying to get bigger, it can also reduce your gains.
A nice 10-15 minute cool down and some stretching right after a workout will really reduce the severity of DOMS.

kiddynamite91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeNoctem View Post
My experience is that it's an inflammatory phenomenon, primarily produced after you push yourself beyond what you normally would. Inflammation is a normal part after any heavy workout, and it may be delayed because of some, as of yet, unknown neuro-muscular factors. While DOMS is literally a pain, it's also often a sign that noticeable gains will some afterward.
I've been starting to think it's just inflammation. I've been so paranoid about getting a groin injury after pulling mine years ago. To be honest, I think I've confused groin based DOMS with a groin pull/wonky groin. Granted, it's an overworked muscle but I'm coming to realize that it's not an injured muscle.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:28 PM
CarpeNoctem
I Pity #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
I've been starting to think it's just inflammation. I've been so paranoid about getting a groin injury after pulling mine years ago. To be honest, I think I've confused groin based DOMS with a groin pull/wonky groin. Granted, it's an overworked muscle but I'm coming to realize that it's not an injured muscle.
But the two things, DOMS and actual injury, are very closely related. Inflammation is a part of the process of both normal healing and an injury. That extra inflammation, even if only part of normal healing, is probably going to increase your chances of injury to that area with further use. I'm not even exactly sure why but that's sure how it seems to work for me

CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 08:49 AM
sanityplease

When I really push it, the third day is always the worst. (first is workout/exertion day, second is the next day, third is the worst)

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 03:13 PM
mmountain
Rookie User

Great points on DOMS - it occurs when the muscle is exposed to an unaccustomed load - so even if you workout all the time, but they change from a forward lunge to a lateral lunge in one phase of your training you can trigger an episode of DOMS.

It is a signal of actual micro-trauma to the muscle - under electron microscope (if you have one of those handy ) you will actually see a disruption of the individual sarcomere units.

So the pain you get is a result of the inflammatory process as the body deals with the damaged muscle and repairs it. As someone else mentioned, when the muscle is repaired, it is repaired stronger than it was before - so it is better equipped to handle those specific loads.

Icing can help and a good cool down routine may also reduce it, but will not negate the muscle damage.

If you are getting DOMS-type symptoms in your adductors after every single workout, then I would be a little concerned that something else is going on. If it is only when you change up your routine, really bump up your weights or emphasis eccentrics, then I would give yourself a day or two and it will recover.

I hope that helps a little.
Cheers,
Maria

mmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Ozz

Stretching and active recovery are helpful to many. Deep tissue massage as well, but that's a bit above and beyond what most want to get involved with.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 12:27 AM
Ozolinsh_27

I find that taking 10g of fish oil (liquid) after a game + decent protein/carb snack really helps me recover quicker to the point I'm barely sore the day after. Seriously, it feels night and day different.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote