HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Benghazi incident and Obama Adminstration lies

Old
10-29-2013, 04:36 PM
PricePkPatch*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav View Post
Is this thread for real? Or did my time machine finally work?
It's quite obvious that we will invade Syria if they keep resisting the inspection of their chemical weapons!

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Yoshimitsu

How long will it take for Republicans to realize that most people just don't care about Benghazi? You can only attempt to manufacture controversy for so long.

With everything going on in the world and here in the US, Benghazi is trivial by comparison.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 04:57 PM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
How long will it take for Republicans to realize that most people just don't care about Benghazi? You can only attempt to manufacture controversy for so long.

With everything going on in the world and here in the US, Benghazi is trivial by comparison.
I think this is one step too far. Of course Americans care, just as much as they cared about Calcutta, Riyadh, and Sana'a....all of which happened under the previous administration and were promptly put in the "**** happens" file.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
As per usual, you provide some actual insight into your post unlike Ikka or other "We" posters.
Gee I'm sorry you're ******** that nobody is taking this thread seriously. Maybe go back a few hundred days to when the incident actually happened, and there was probably plenty of discussion by myself and others.

Was they worried that terrorists might hit this facility in Benghazi? Probably. How many similar facilities are at similar risk throughout Africa and the Middle East? Probably hundreds. Can the US defend all of these against a large-scale assault by well-armed Al-Qaeda operatives? Not without a significant increase in financial resources, which neither party seems willing to commit. So things like this will happen from time to time, as was the case during the GW Bush Administration, and the Clinton Administration, and the GHW Bush Administration, and the Reagan Administration.

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:34 AM
bombers15
5-14-6-1

Quote:
I place both Presidents and parties in the same category of royally incompetent and controlled by corporate elites. Both administrations are incapable of telling the truth. It is really telling when the Obama Administration clearly screwed up and you have all the sheep (on this board or pervasive throughout society) not really caring because the democrats are better than the Republicans. The same goes for when the Republicans screw up. The country needs to realize that both parties are royally screwed and need to hold their own voting party thoroughly accountable. Obama, Clinton and the entire administration continuously lie to the American people.
On some grand level when we look at the entirety of the political spectrum and all possible political ideologies, I can understand when people say the two parties are the same. In a lot of ways they are.

But it really bothers me when Obama and Bush are placed in the same category when stuff like Benghazi gets brought up. Or even something like "incompetence and lying".

I'm sorry, but 9/11 and Benghazi are not the same thing. Obamacare and Guantanamo Bay are not the same thing. ACORN and Iraq are not the same thing.

One president is better than the other. It is not a wash between the two. And minimizing what Bush did - advocating and approving torture, ruining the economy, lying his way into illegal wars, etc. - is an incredibly dangerous thing to do. Just saying that those things are basically the same as the government providing health insurance is complete madness.

There is a difference, and if you recognize the difference then we can start to demand better from our politicians.

bombers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:00 AM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Old
10-30-2013, 03:20 AM
bombers15
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
Important numbers from that video.

Under Bush, there were 54 attacks on American embassies that killed 13 Americans. For all of those attacks there were just 3 hearings in total.

But I'm sure Kadri43 was just as mad about all of those 54 attacks.

Old
10-30-2013, 07:38 AM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post

One president is better than the other. It is not a wash between the two. And minimizing what Bush did - advocating and approving torture, ruining the economy, lying his way into illegal wars, etc. - is an incredibly dangerous thing to do. Just saying that those things are basically the same as the government providing health insurance is complete madness.
Obama says hi. He has not shutdown Gitmo (like he said he would), he has American kill lists, now has a 17 trillion dollar debt, still has a massive fighting force in the middle east, the NSA spying, continuing and increasing the war on drugs, reenacting the NDAA and oh ya, the DRONE BOMBING THAT the middle east is TERRIFIED of. How would you feel knowing there is a drone bomber above you and could kill you at any moment???

The Administration is terrible and everyone should be ashamed for supporting such a mess.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 08:20 AM
bombers15
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Obama says hi. He has not shutdown Gitmo (like he said he would), he has American kill lists, now has a 17 trillion dollar debt, still has a massive fighting force in the middle east, the NSA spying, continuing and increasing the war on drugs, reenacting the NDAA and oh ya, the DRONE BOMBING THAT the middle east is TERRIFIED of. How would you feel knowing there is a drone bomber above you and could kill you at any moment???

The Administration is terrible and everyone should be ashamed for supporting such a mess.
How many people have died from drone attacks compared to the Iraq invasion? Honestly. Look it up.

It's not to say that Obama is a peach. I don't agree with the drone program and a lot of what he's done, including some of the stuff you mentioned (some of what you said is also nonesense). But it is NOT the same degree of immorality and ineptitude as Bush. It's just not, no matter how you slice it.

The Right can keep on trying to manufacture false outrage over events like Benghazi and whatnot. But it does not touch Bush. They are not the same in that way. I am completely and utterly unconvinced.

Old
10-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Wow, the entire US national debt is Obama's fault (not to mention things like the global military presence and the war on drugs). Who knew.

Old
10-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
"Just Say No" was an advertising campaign, part of the U.S. "War on Drugs", prevalent during the 1980s and early 1990s, to discourage children from engaging in illegal recreational drug use by offering various ways of saying no. Eventually, this also expanded the realm of "Just Say No" to violence and premarital sex. The slogan was created and championed by First Lady Nancy Reagan during her husband's presidency.[1]
That champion of freedom, Ronnie Raygun.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:10 AM
JCD

Quote:

Oh good grief.

It is like saying that Obama once hit a dog with a car, Hitler killed a dog too, so clearly the two are the same.

Saying Bush and Obama are the same is simply ********.

JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Oh good grief.

It is like saying that Obama once hit a dog with a car, Hitler killed a dog too, so clearly the two are the same.
Yup.

/godwin

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Ugmo

Quote:

He tried to shut down Gitmo and got stymied by Congress. Blame him for the stuff that's his fault, not the stuff that isn't his fault. Such as the massive deficits that his hands were completely tied on.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 08:46 PM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
He tried to shut down Gitmo and got stymied by Congress. Blame him for the stuff that's his fault, not the stuff that isn't his fault. Such as the massive deficits that his hands were completely tied on.
Don't you understand? Obama should have ignored due political process and closed down Gitmo through a dictatorial act.

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:19 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Let's entertain the premise that Obama f-ed up royal on Benghazi and then attempted to cover up (not all that unrealistic). Isn't that still (literally) a thousand times less bad than Bush dropping the ball on 9/11 and then attempting to cover up his incompetence (not to mention exploiting the public reaction to 9/11 by invading Iraq)? Yes, I know "Bush was just as bad" isn't a valid excuse. But let's be honest, the people who are outraged about Benghazi (rather than just saddened and concerned) don't blame Bush one iota for 9/11 and everything that came after it.

Which is not to say that Kadri is one of those people, because I don't think he is. Just some perspective is in order. After the decade of incompetence and unnecessary death and destruction that was the Bush administration, it's difficult to be outraged by something like Benghazi. Unless you already hated Obama and are desperately looking for something to be outraged about.
...and the people that blame Bush for the original 9/11 don't blame Bill Clinton one iota.

Wouldn't it be a better idea if we just held the people in charge accountable, no matter what their political persuasion happens to be?

I don't think it's difficult to be outraged by what the Bush administration did to get the U.S. into Iraq, and by the way the Obama administration insulted the intelligence of every American in the aftermath of Benghazi. Both are cases that speak volumes regarding the arrogance of the people in power in Washington, DC.

Yes Mrs. Clinton, it does matter.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
...and the people that blame Bush for the original 9/11 don't blame Bill Clinton one iota.

Wouldn't it be a better idea if we just held the people in charge accountable, no matter what their political persuasion happens to be?

I don't think it's difficult to be outraged by what the Bush administration did to get the U.S. into Iraq, and by the way the Obama administration insulted the intelligence of every American in the aftermath of Benghazi. Both are cases that speak volumes regarding the arrogance of the people in power in Washington, DC.
People don't blame Bill Clinton because Bill Clinton actually focused on Al Qaeda during his presidency while Bush completely ignored Al Qaeda until 9/11. If you're blaming Bill Clinton for it, you need to educate yourself.

The people we should hold accountable are those who are responsible (i.e. NOT Bill Clinton). We should hold Obama responsible for Benghazi... but Benghazi being about 1/1000th as big of a **** up as 9/11, we should be blaming him a whole lot less than we blame Bush for 9/11 - make sense?

Quote:
Yes Mrs. Clinton, it does matter.
You are very dishonestly taking her quote out of context:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...nce-does-it-m/

Old
10-30-2013, 10:05 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
People don't blame Bill Clinton because Bill Clinton actually focused on Al Qaeda during his presidency while Bush completely ignored Al Qaeda until 9/11. If you're blaming Bill Clinton for it, you need to educate yourself.

The people we should hold accountable are those who are responsible (i.e. NOT Bill Clinton). We should hold Obama responsible for Benghazi... but Benghazi being about 1/1000th as big of a **** up as 9/11, we should be blaming him a whole lot less than we blame Bush for 9/11 - make sense?

You are very dishonestly taking her quote out of context:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...nce-does-it-m/
Thanks for making my point, and no what you're saying doesn't make sense. Is one any less disgusting than the other just due to the number of people that died?

Clinton had a chance to get bin Laden and didn't do it. He carries some blame.

I didn't put Mrs. Clinton's quote in any context at all. It always matters when government officials lie or mislead the American public about the true nature of a situation where Americans lost their lives in the service of their country. She doesn't think so.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Thanks for making my point, and no what you're saying doesn't make sense. Is one any less disgusting than the other just due to the number of people that died?
I didn't "make your point." The bottom line is that GWB's 9/11 **** up is far worse than Obama's Benghazi **** up. Literally a thousand times worse. You lose credibility when you keep trying to pretend it's the same thing, because it isn't.

Quote:
Oh, this old canard. Clinton literally tried to take out OBL with cruise missiles, and the Republicans accused him of trying to divert attention from the Lewinsky scandal. Stop with this nonsense. Al Qaeda was Clinton's number one foreign policy issue. It wasn't even on Bush's radar. Those are the facts. Stop with the false equivalency.

Quote:
I didn't put Mrs. Clinton's quote in any context at all. It always matters when government officials lie or mislead the American public about the true nature of a situation where Americans lost their lives in the service of their country. She doesn't think so.
Oh, you certainly put it in context. Otherwise there was no purpose for your dishonestly even bringing up the quote. We don't even know whether the Obama administration intentionally misled the American public, so quit stating that like it's fact.

Old
10-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:

It disappoints me that you can write a lyric very flippantly—and not a particularly good lyric—and it can mean so much to so many people. That's disillusioning for a writer - George Michael, Careless Whisper
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
Yes, failing to defend the most populated city in the country from a terrorist attack is far more egregious than failing to defend a small diplomatic mission where only a few Americans were located.

Try to imagine if the Beirut barracks bombing had happened under Obama. 241 US servicemen killed in large part because the building was protected by flimsy barbed wire and the soldiers defending the barracks were operating, by way of orders from above, under rules of engagement - meaning that their weapons weren't loaded. I'm pretty sure Obama would have already been impeached by the House, given the way they've reacted to Benghazi.

Old
10-31-2013, 02:27 PM
JCD

Quote:

Yes. Yes it is.

The phrase "False Equivalencies" comes to mind.

JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 02:39 PM
qc
#TeamClode

vCash: 69
Quote:

Chris Wallace, is that you?

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:11 PM
Sharpshooter

vCash: 550
Kadri, ....just so much from you in this thread.

'Obama' didn't shutdown Gitmo?? Son, I am disappoint.

Sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 09:09 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

LOL at people who are trying to give credit to Clinton for focusing on Bin Laden.

I loved Clinton's famous hindsight quote: "if I were still President, I would have had 20000 troops looking for Bin Laden."

The WTC was attacked in 1993 just months after Clinton was inaugurated. After the 1993 attack, OBL Issued at least two public fatwas and attacked US targets every year until Clinton's last months in office.

But good to know Bill needed 12 years to get boots on the ground. It's not like he was President or anything.

And where is Al Qaeda the strongest right now? Hmmmm. Let's see how smart people are.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote