HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Sabres offered Vanek to Toronto

Old
10-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Stephen23

vCash: 500
I believe it was Bob who tweeted this first and Dregs followed with some more information.

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Well I get that they wouldn't want to move him but this would be a big over-payment. I like Reimer and all, but not very many goalies get you a first overall pick in return.
No they don't, which is why it's unlikely that the offer was ever presented.

Eyedea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:32 PM
dahrougem2

Vanek was likely offered to every team. Dreger just loves the Leafs so he leaks this. Nothing wrong with that. He's like a local reporter who covers Toronto, only he works for TSN so he covers all other transactions/rumors too, he just does Toronto a little more

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

Would have not done it if I were the Leafs. You get Vanek you essentially sacrifise the future.. to much expensive contracts already.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Habcentric

I think Dreger was reading HF boards... They were willing to take a salary dump... Like the 4 or so offers a day by leaf fans: x player for Gardiner, JM Liles and a 2nd ( Trust me, i know what its like, i lived through the Ryder, Halak, and a 2nd )

Habcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:43 PM
BigHabs

Like another poster said. Vanek was most likely offered to more than a handful of teams who would be looking to compete this year.

Toronto according to Dreger is involved on every player who hits the trade block or is possibly traded.

I don't feel its a trade the Leafs make this year for a pending UFA, at his current salary.

Toronto is almost there for being a "top" contender. They are a contender, but not a top team yet.

Their offense is there Vanek would indeed boost an already top offense. Me personally, I believe they should take that 1st and 2nd that Vanek got and put it towards solidifying their defense. They score which is big, but like most Leaf fans will agree this year to start they have been outshot in most of their games by large margins and are relying too much on their goaltending.

I find they need 1 more top 4 dman with an all around game. Hard to find yes. But I think the Leafs management will be smart and take those picks and put it where the weakness is for the team going forward instead of adding a piece to an already potent offense.

Just my two cents.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Yes it does...
1st+ 2nd+ Gardiner would be close....but

1. Gardiner isnt what Buffalo needs. they need forwards

2. Liles has 2 more years left on an immoveable contract. Buffalo doesnt need another roster Dman.

3. You may say Bufalo could just buy out Liles in June---but that is worth something where they get another asset from Toronto.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maplelaughs97 View Post
Really how so? Gardiner unlike Moulson is under team control for the foreseeable future. First and second pics could be in the same area draft wise....taking on Liles I can see being an issue, but to say it's not close with quality pieces involved is a bit obtuse. Maybe include a cap dump going to Toronto or something. jmo.
You have to pay something more to get a team to take JML

Old
10-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Which is why he went to New York. The Leafs marginal improvement with Vanek wouldn't be worth what it'd cost to get him. We already have JvR, Lupul, and Kessel as legit top-6 wingers.

+ I don't quite get why Buffalo would go around offering up Vanek, thats not necessarily the best way to get full value out of your asset. They got a nice haul from the Isles but Dreger's reporting is questionable at best.
He told teams in the offseason when they inquired about Miller and Vanek he told them to wait until December so he could see how it went in Buffalo.

Its not yet December so he sent out a blast to everyone the stor was open for business.

Old
10-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Ewan McGregor*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Say what? Reimer for Yakupov and Toronto are the ones that said no?
Link please? That would mean Reimer would get more than what Bernier did for LA.

Ewan McGregor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Captain Mittens*
Catquistador

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Apparently Nonis didn't want to move Reimer for Yakupov because Regier wanted Reimer straight up for Vanek. Nonis balked at the Vanek deal as well because he's heard through Dreger a third team is willing to step up and trump both offers.

The question now Dreger is, who is the 3rd team?
I call shenanigans

Captain Mittens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 04:57 PM
SI90

TOR needs a #1 Center....they are good on the wings

SI90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 04:57 PM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
Well I feel like the Sabres probably offered Vanek to 29 other teams as well
Yep, well 28. Highest bidder.

Last edited by me2: 10-29-2013 at 05:03 PM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 04:59 PM
Satan
never meant

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
Well I feel like the Sabres probably offered Vanek to 29 other teams as well
My thoughts exactly.

Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
1st+ 2nd+ Gardiner would be close....but

1. Gardiner isnt what Buffalo needs. they need forwards

2. Liles has 2 more years left on an immoveable contract. Buffalo doesnt need another roster Dman.

3. You may say Bufalo could just buy out Liles in June---but that is worth something where they get another asset from Toronto.
Moulson wasn't what Buffalo needed, either. It's the same deal but with Gardiner + JML instead of Moulson. Gardiner could be kept as part of the rebuild or flipped. Unlike Moulson, they could wait to flip him whenever they wanted. BloFan4Life said that deal's "not even close", which is just not true.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:04 PM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Moulson wasn't what Buffalo needed, either. It's the same deal but with Gardiner + JML instead of Moulson. Gardiner could be kept as part of the rebuild or flipped. Unlike Moulson, they could wait to flip him whenever they wanted. BloFan4Life said that deal's "not even close", which is just not true.

Take our Liles and you are closer.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Djp

Quote:

Buffalo needs forwards. Sure he is a UFA but he can be moved at the deadline for picks/prospects. they also could decide to resign him.

Here is a big problem...

getting Gardiner and you have

Ehrhoff-Pysyk
Zadorov-Myers
Talinder-Risrolainen
Weber-McBain

what about Gardiner???

Carrying 9 Dmen on a healthy roster ties Buffalo up.

Send the kids down---what about next year??? Sure Talinder and McBain walk but then you have McNabb, Ruhwedel, and potentially McCabe wanting action as well--thus still 8/9 Dmen on the team.

this is what hurts/hinders player development.

i would be more reasonable in taking Gardiner back for Ehrhoff--they are both LHD

McCabe would be finishing his JR year this year at Wisconsin and likely decides to turn pro.

this also why I could see them sending Zadorov down to juniors at the olympic break. McCabe could opt to go pro after Wisconsin is eliminated in March. McCabe fills in for Zadorov.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Canadian Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Per Dreger Twitter:
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...14278862467073

Very interesting. I wonder what was coming back from Toronto.
That is interesting. Although it doesn't mean Toronto made an offer for Vanek. Toronto might asked Buffalo for the kind of value they wanted in return, but that may have been the end of it...who knows?

Canadian Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Not buying this. Dreger has become a Leaf shill to the point of embarrassment. But even that aside, Vanek is just not someone I see Toronto making the significant pitch for. They have depth on wing practically exploding through the seams and I doubt Buffalo wanted a defenseman coming back as they have those in abundance.

Vanek to Toronto does not make any sense, even if he is a good player. Toronto ought to worry about defense.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:31 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Vanek was available to 29 teams that seems pretty obvious.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Buffalo needs forwards. Sure he is a UFA but he can be moved at the deadline for picks/prospects. they also could decide to resign him.

Here is a big problem...

getting Gardiner and you have

Ehrhoff-Pysyk
Zadorov-Myers
Talinder-Risrolainen
Weber-McBain

what about Gardiner???

Carrying 9 Dmen on a healthy roster ties Buffalo up.

Send the kids down---what about next year??? Sure Talinder and McBain walk but then you have McNabb, Ruhwedel, and potentially McCabe wanting action as well--thus still 8/9 Dmen on the team.

this is what hurts/hinders player development.

i would be more reasonable in taking Gardiner back for Ehrhoff--they are both LHD

McCabe would be finishing his JR year this year at Wisconsin and likely decides to turn pro.

this also why I could see them sending Zadorov down to juniors at the olympic break. McCabe could opt to go pro after Wisconsin is eliminated in March. McCabe fills in for Zadorov.
You're getting way too deep into this, the bottom line is with perhaps the caveat of JML, there's no way that Gardiner + 1st + 2nd "doesn't come close" [original comment I was responding to] to UFA Moulson + 1st + 2nd. How it affects our roster is hardly important when the roster is terrible and is desired to be so. The prospect of having to waive Henrik Tallinder to complete the trade is not exactly a frightening one. Zadorov should be sent to juniors in either case. Weber has been a a trainwreck.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
If you believe Dreger, every trade in the NHL gets run by the Leafs first. It's getting a little ridiculous.

That said, the Sabres probably shopped Vanek to a bunch of teams...but obviously the Leafs bring in the ratings and hits and retweets and all that good stuff, so here we are.
No kidding, and because his cousin runs the leafs, cousin nonis tells darren what he wants out in the media, except leafs fans cant see it.

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:02 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Per Dreger Twitter:
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...14278862467073

Very interesting. I wonder what was coming back from Toronto.
I'm sure they did along with the 27 other teams they didn't trade him to.

I'm also glad, that Nonis declined to make a deal happen.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:06 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Not buying this. Dreger has become a Leaf shill to the point of embarrassment. But even that aside, Vanek is just not someone I see Toronto making the significant pitch for. They have depth on wing practically exploding through the seams and I doubt Buffalo wanted a defenseman coming back as they have those in abundance.

Vanek to Toronto does not make any sense, even if he is a good player. Toronto ought to worry about defense.
Dreger is Eklund, on TV...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Ho Borvat

How To Tell When Dreger Is Full Of Crap/Speculating:
Bob Mackenzie doesn't retweet it.

Mackenzie will retweet facts that Dreger tweets (ie Kessel re-signing) but he never retweets any of the "speculating" Dreger does ("trade talk" related things)

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote