HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Sabres offered Vanek to Toronto

Old
10-29-2013, 05:16 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Franchise Centre

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Not buying this. Dreger has become a Leaf shill to the point of embarrassment. But even that aside, Vanek is just not someone I see Toronto making the significant pitch for. They have depth on wing practically exploding through the seams and I doubt Buffalo wanted a defenseman coming back as they have those in abundance.

Vanek to Toronto does not make any sense, even if he is a good player. Toronto ought to worry about defense.
Well, according to Dreger Buffalo offered Vanek to TO. Who knows what they wanted from TO in return. I bet it would've been Gardiner +.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
The Sabres probably offered him to the 28 other teams too.

Dreger is reporting crap.
So because he reported that he was offered to Toronto, but didn't speculate that he was offered to the other 28 teams, it's crap?

10-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
So because he reported that he was offered to Toronto, but didn't speculate that he was offered to the other 28 teams, it's crap?
It is crap because Vanek was no doubt "offered" to the entire league this offseason. There's no doubt whatsoever that Darcy made it known to every team that Vanek is on the market for the right price, likewise with Miller. I mean he basically told the media they were on the market right from the get go of the offseason. So what does this report mean? Either it is a completely pointless yet technically correct report or there was an actual exchange of talks between the two teams. If the latter, the report is still crap because it does not specify or elaborate. It's totally useless but juices Dreger's reputation of being an insider.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Well, according to Dreger Buffalo offered Vanek to TO. Who knows what they wanted from TO in return. I bet it would've been Gardiner +.
Because Buffalo needs Gardiner.....WHY?

I can't believe people are actually interested in a frickin rumor that is no longer relevant ...

Thanks for the tidbit Dreger ...talk about being a day late and a dollar short.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Because Buffalo needs Gardiner.....WHY?

I can't believe people are actually interested in a frickin rumor that is no longer relevant ...

Thanks for the tidbit Dreger ...talk about being a day late and a dollar short.
Yeah you would think the whole point of his job is to get ahead of the news before it happens and let the fans know what's going on. What's the point of giving out information that isn't relevant anymore. This would've been a lot more useful if he had told everyone last week what was going on. As a Leaf fan I couldn't care less if Vanek was offered to the Leafs now because he's already been moved! Thanks Dregs...

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
It is crap because Vanek was no doubt "offered" to the entire league this offseason. There's no doubt whatsoever that Darcy made it known to every team that Vanek is on the market for the right price, likewise with Miller. I mean he basically told the media they were on the market right from the get go of the offseason. So what does this report mean? Either it is a completely pointless yet technically correct report or there was an actual exchange of talks between the two teams. If the latter, the report is still crap because it does not specify or elaborate. It's totally useless but juices Dreger's reputation of being an insider.
it doesn't juice up Dreger's reputation of being an insider because he really didn't divulge any real inside information, he told everyone the news after it happened. The whole point of an insider is to give fans "inside information" on things that are happening behind the scenes. Not tell everyone after the fact that " so and so was offered to Toronto" Absolutely meaningless blabber from him. Now you want to know a real insider..Nick Kypreos, this guy isn't afraid to give up news about someone or something before it happens even if he may be wrong at times. What he hears he tells. He doesn't sit on it for days and days until it happens.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:05 PM
TRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Moulson wasn't what Buffalo needed, either. It's the same deal but with Gardiner + JML instead of Moulson. Gardiner could be kept as part of the rebuild or flipped. Unlike Moulson, they could wait to flip him whenever they wanted. BloFan4Life said that deal's "not even close", which is just not true.
Moulson >> Gardiner
NYI 1st > Tor 1st
NYI 2nd > Tor 2nd
Nothing>>>Liles

I think BloFan4Life is correct. NYI's deal was much better.
Leave Liles out of the deal, and substitute Gardiner for Lupul and its much more even. I still think the Islanders have the better deal afterwards, but it is much much closer
Lupul 1st 2nd vs Moulson 1st 2nd

TRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

vCash: 50
Why does Toronto need another Left Winger?

Max Kellerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Nihiliste

When I look at Toronto's roster, the first thing I think is "man, these guys are really lacking talented wingers".

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:25 PM
TOML

I wonder how league GM's and agents feel about having every call made to Nonis eventually being leaked to his cousin? Meh?

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Tripod

Realistically, any GM will try and maximize the return on a player. If you look at the Leafs roster, Toronto has no need for Vanek. So realistically, wouldn't any GM look at the roster and say "they don't need him" and then go on to the next team? That just seems to be common sense in this case. The only thing that changes that is if at some point, Nonis said to contact him if Vanek is available. But for all we know, that was before Clarkson was added....which then starts to make sense because AT THAT TIME, Clarkson and Raymond were not with the team and the winger depth was not as good as it is today.

my 2 cents.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:46 PM
SettlementRichie10

If Buffalo was truly willing to eat some salary in return, then I'll be pretty upset if Dean Lombardi wasn't kicking the tires to get him on the Kings. He'd be a perfect player in our system next to a guy like Kopitar.

SettlementRichie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 07:19 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRask View Post
Moulson >> Gardiner
NYI 1st > Tor 1st
NYI 2nd > Tor 2nd
Nothing>>>Liles

I think BloFan4Life is correct. NYI's deal was much better.
Leave Liles out of the deal, and substitute Gardiner for Lupul and its much more even. I still think the Islanders have the better deal afterwards, but it is much much closer
Lupul 1st 2nd vs Moulson 1st 2nd
6 month of Moulson is not worth more than years of Gardiner or Lupul. Your completely ignoring the fact that Gards and Lupul come with years of team control and Moulson is an impending UFA.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:09 PM
bobbyt911

vCash:
The article on TSN implies that the Leafs kicked tires and balked at what Buf wanted.

Old
10-29-2013, 10:24 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
6 month of Moulson is not worth more than years of Gardiner or Lupul. Your completely ignoring the fact that Gards and Lupul come with years of team control and Moulson is an impending UFA.
And you are completely ignoring Buffalos wants and needs.

Buffalo has no need for "Gards" ..we're overflowing with D prospects.

Moulson is a rental and will be sold at the deadline for more picks which is what Buffalo wants...

So yes..the Islander package is much better than the Leaf package being discussed for the Sabres.

Thanks.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
How To Tell When Dreger Is Full Of Crap/Speculating:
Bob Mackenzie doesn't retweet it.

Mackenzie will retweet facts that Dreger tweets (ie Kessel re-signing) but he never retweets any of the "speculating" Dreger does ("trade talk" related things)
Bob discussed it on TSN radio tonight. Said Buffalo called Toronto and asked for a significant roster player and the Leafs said no thanks. That was the end of the discussion.

Warden of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:12 AM
madmike77

Longer term I'm not sure if the Leafs could afford a guy like Vanek.

They'll likely give Phaneuf a big contract and they'll have Reimer coming to RFA at the end of the year (if they don't deal him). So I can see why they'd pass.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
I wonder how league GM's and agents feel about having every call made to Nonis eventually being leaked to his cousin? Meh?
LOL...ya, because Nonis has a ton to gain by "leaking" this very irrelevant information.....time to get over your Dreger ******** my friend.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Vexed
Magic Marner

We have 0 need for Vanek in all honesty.

Vexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Pelle31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengers View Post
I call bullcrap on this one. dreger is just a phony who need hits.
Isn't Dreger Dave Nonis' brother-in-law?

Pelle31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Buckets and Gloves
#NotMyBruinsGm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
If you believe Dreger, every trade in the NHL gets run by the Leafs first. It's getting a little ridiculous.

That said, the Sabres probably shopped Vanek to a bunch of teams...but obviously the Leafs bring in the ratings and hits and retweets and all that good stuff, so here we are.
Pretty much... his credibility is deteriating fast.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote