HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Should the Preds trade their impending FA's ?

View Poll Results: Should they?
Yes 5 18.52%
No 22 81.48%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-05-2013, 08:16 PM
  #1
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,273
vCash: 500
Should the Preds trade their impending FA's ?

With Pekka being out for 6-8 weeks with e.coli, does it make sense to test the trade market with Legwand, Ekholm, Ellis & Hutton ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 08:23 PM
  #2
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
With Pekka being out for 6-8 weeks with e.coli, does it make sense to test the trade market with Legwand, Ekholm, Ellis & Hutton ?
Legwand and Hutton are our only UFAs.

Can't trade Hutton. Someone's gotta play goal. Besides, he's not worth anything.

I'm pretty torn on Legwand, but I say trade him. We can always try to sign him in the summer if we want him back bad enough. I think he'd be interested in chasing a Cup. He also usually steps up come playoff time, so I could see him garnering interest.

Either way, I would wait until the trade deadline. Who knows, we may still be right in the thick of it?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 08:30 PM
  #3
Gnashville
Never trade Weber
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 4,471
vCash: 500
No Ellis and Ekholm are RFA Hutton is a netminder, and Legwand should be a Pred for life

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 08:39 PM
  #4
Everlong
JoeyBats
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,211
vCash: 500
The value in keeping Legs greatly outweighs the value you'd receive for him in a trade.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 09:47 PM
  #5
thecloser
Registered User
 
thecloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: brentwood, tn
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
no way we trade legwand, ekholm, and hutton. Ellis maybe if the right thing comes along.

legwand is the best forward we have right now.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 09:59 PM
  #6
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
I was actually saying the other day Legwand was playing surprisingly well. Yes, I know surprise.

But then this board reminded me it's his contract year.

If it's the playoffs or a contract year, all the sudden Legwand has another gear. And that folks is why Legwand has not been considered a every game leader for this team. He's a half-asser the rest of the time.

No way should we sign this guy into his mid-late 30's, unless it's a one-year contract every year.

But he's not going to get much at the deadline. 2nd rd pick or something if he continues to play decent. If we are in the playoff hunt (big IF), might as well keep him.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 10:01 PM
  #7
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
So we should panic and run screaming for the hills while over .500?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 10:03 PM
  #8
Soundgarden
Registered User
 
Soundgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 6,230
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I was actually saying the other day Legwand was playing surprisingly well. Yes, I know surprise.

But then this board reminded me it's his contract year.

If it's the playoffs or a contract year, all the sudden Legwand has another gear. And that folks is why Legwand has not been considered a every game leader for this team. He's a half-asser the rest of the time.

No way should we sign this guy into his 30's, unless it's a one-year contract every year.

But he's not going to get much at the deadline. 2nd rd pick or something if he continues to play decent. If we are in the playoff hunt (big IF), might as well keep him.
I could see a contender give a first for him, he steps it up during the post season. Jumping the gun though, I don't see him moving right now.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 10:20 PM
  #9
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
So we should panic and run screaming for the hills while over .500?
yes. and let's go ahead and tank while we watch at home and leave the poor STH the admirals to lose every game down the stretch again

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 10:36 PM
  #10
drwpreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
So we should panic and run screaming for the hills while over .500?
This-

Just reading over this board tonight, if I didn't know any better I'd swear we were 0-14-0 with 0 goals scored on the season.

Rinne's injury is certainly a setback, but unless his career is over, the Preds future looks pretty promising.....

I've railed against the negativity on this board before, so I'll keep it short- but I will repeat that this is one of the most negative team message boards I've ever seen..........

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 01:44 AM
  #11
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
So we should panic and run screaming for the hills while over .500?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
This-

Just reading over this board tonight, if I didn't know any better I'd swear we were 0-14-0 with 0 goals scored on the season.

Rinne's injury is certainly a setback, but unless his career is over, the Preds future looks pretty promising.....

I've railed against the negativity on this board before, so I'll keep it short- but I will repeat that this is one of the most negative team message boards I've ever seen..........
Exaclty

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 02:24 AM
  #12
Preds101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
This-

Just reading over this board tonight, if I didn't know any better I'd swear we were 0-14-0 with 0 goals scored on the season.

Rinne's injury is certainly a setback, but unless his career is over, the Preds future looks pretty promising.....

I've railed against the negativity on this board before, so I'll keep it short- but I will repeat that this is one of the most negative team message boards I've ever seen..........
Im not trying to be negative here and cheered for the Preds all last year even though there was not shot of us going to the playoffs, and I agree the future looks bright, just not this year. Even with a Vezina trophy candidate goalie as a starter we were 4-4? Now with bringing in Hutton/Hellberg/Mazanec will we fair better then .500 especially with the rate that Hutton has been giving up rebounds and the leads that we have given up. I don't think this team is capable of scoring 4+ goals a game. When would it be time to say this year is a wash because of Rinne's injury and start playing some of the prospects(which I am from Milwaukee and go to Admirals games, so I am against this)? I would hate for us to give up a first in a trade and then not even make the playoffs, or sign a FA goaltender and get everyones hopes up and them not be the answer, and them not be able to stand on their head like Rinne did every night.

Preds101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 07:07 AM
  #13
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,456
vCash: 500
NO..........let's just watch hockey.

I swear we need hockey every night to talk about or all these wild threads pop up.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 07:41 AM
  #14
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Does anyone ever think that maybe Legwand has been one of the reasons the offense has not been able to shine. He is a vet and always been on the Preds top line. What if we had someone with the skill of Legwand who "wanted" to be a leader and bust his ass every game. Legwand is like Trotz they are serviceable but where have they got us? Average??

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 07:47 AM
  #15
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,607
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
With Pekka being out for 6-8 weeks with e.coli, does it make sense to test the trade market with Legwand, Ekholm, Ellis & Hutton ?
are you freaking kidding me?

this is just a downright silly suggestion.

you dont dump assests when you are not even 20 games into the season, not only for the obvious reason that um, we arent anywhere near out of the running, and two, the demand for rental players right now is low, and we wouldnt get nearly the return we would in March when we could get a nice bidding war going.

If it wasnt illegal I'd write you a Rx for Pozac and Xanax....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 08:29 AM
  #16
SeventyOneTN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds101 View Post
Im not trying to be negative here and cheered for the Preds all last year even though there was not shot of us going to the playoffs, and I agree the future looks bright, just not this year. Even with a Vezina trophy candidate goalie as a starter we were 4-4? Now with bringing in Hutton/Hellberg/Mazanec will we fair better then .500 especially with the rate that Hutton has been giving up rebounds and the leads that we have given up. I don't think this team is capable of scoring 4+ goals a game. When would it be time to say this year is a wash because of Rinne's injury and start playing some of the prospects(which I am from Milwaukee and go to Admirals games, so I am against this)? I would hate for us to give up a first in a trade and then not even make the playoffs, or sign a FA goaltender and get everyones hopes up and them not be the answer, and them not be able to stand on their head like Rinne did every night.
One thing to remember is that deep playoff runs are usually a process. You don't typically stink it up for a few years then suddenly make a run to the finals. The young players need to know what it is like to be in the payoff race down the stretch.

SeventyOneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 08:53 AM
  #17
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOneTN View Post
One thing to remember is that deep playoff runs are usually a process. You don't typically stink it up for a few years then suddenly make a run to the finals. The young players need to know what it is like to be in the payoff race down the stretch.
As is building or as in this case, re-building, I think this team needs one maybe two more years of elite talent to get it where we would all love it to be... A Stanley Cup

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 10:51 AM
  #18
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Does anyone ever think that maybe Legwand has been one of the reasons the offense has not been able to shine. He is a vet and always been on the Preds top line. What if we had someone with the skill of Legwand who "wanted" to be a leader and bust his ass every game. Legwand is like Trotz they are serviceable but where have they got us? Average??
this is so off base. Legwand has rarely been on the "top line" When Arnott was here, his unit was considered that. Then we rolled into Fisher. There have been small stretches where he was, but most of the time he was in that 2nd-3rd line role unless you consider the offensive talents (and I mean scoring goals, not displaying stone hands) a 1st line talent. Or maybe the time Jan Hlavac was on his wing. He was pretty awesome too.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 10:52 AM
  #19
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
As is building or as in this case, re-building, I think this team needs one maybe two more years of elite talent to get it where we would all love it to be... A Stanley Cup
the talent is there. the skill is there. the grit is there. It just needs to get healthy and mature a bit

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:12 PM
  #20
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
this is so off base. Legwand has rarely been on the "top line" When Arnott was here, his unit was considered that. Then we rolled into Fisher. There have been small stretches where he was, but most of the time he was in that 2nd-3rd line role unless you consider the offensive talents (and I mean scoring goals, not displaying stone hands) a 1st line talent. Or maybe the time Jan Hlavac was on his wing. He was pretty awesome too.
Are you serious? Legwand has been what was supposed to be one of are top players for the Nashville Predators since he has been here. You are kidding yourself if you think they have wanted him to be a mute bottom liner who clears the pucks out of the net in the pre-game. He has never got less minutes than a 1st or 2nd liner. You need to get your facts straight. With that said your bolded line means you agree with me. If you draft a guy in the top 5 and in your opinion he "rarely been on the "top line" then that is a problem.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:26 PM
  #21
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Are you serious? Legwand has been what was supposed to be one of are top players for the Nashville Predators since he has been here. You are kidding yourself if you think they have wanted him to be a mute bottom liner who clears the pucks out of the net in the pre-game. He has never got less minutes than a 1st or 2nd liner. You need to get your facts straight. With that said your bolded line means you agree with me. If you draft a guy in the top 5 and in your opinion he "rarely been on the "top line" then that is a problem.
The only time Legwand was on the 3rd line for an extended period he responded with a 40 game goal-less steak. Other than that he's been on a rotating scoring line for the most part (Trotz often doesn't have a defined "1st line"). Of course, when Legwand went through he goal-less streak on the 3rd line, it was Joel Ward's fault.

However, Legwand is playing some of the best hockey I've seen from him in the regular season. The last time I saw it, was well, his last contract year 7 years ago.

We'll see how the season progresses and if we can contend for a playoff spot, but like I said, I would not re-sign him unless he takes 1 yr contracts every year. If we are out of playoff contention, I'd certainly look to move him. But a doubt a contender would want him on their scoringline, and maybe they'll forgot about his non-existent production on the 3rd line. He is a guy who needs a kick in the ass, so maybe a change of team would continue to light a fire in him, who knows.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 04:09 PM
  #22
darth5
Rowsdower!
 
darth5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,405
vCash: 500
Right now, The only FA I saw listed I would easily part with is Ellis; even then the conditions should be right. As I said in the Miller thread, this is a mini-rebuild. If he can sustain this kind of pace I could see a short term reasonable deal for Legwand. Something commensurate with his role on the Preds, probably not going market rate. I think he might be amenable since he has made his home here, had his kids, etc. Certainty vs salary. Not the right time for a selloff anyway. If this were last year, maybe it would maek more sense, but on the schedule you still see so many points available-- are you ready to write that many off??

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 07:28 PM
  #23
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
We should be actively shopping Ellis. There is NO place for him on this team with Josi and Jones.

C'mon Poile, get something for him before his value plummets to zero.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 07:33 PM
  #24
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
We should be actively shopping Ellis. There is NO place for him on this team with Josi and Jones.

C'mon Poile, get something for him before his value plummets to zero.
I think this post is the best one in this thread so far.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 07:48 AM
  #25
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Are you serious? Legwand has been what was supposed to be one of are top players for the Nashville Predators since he has been here. You are kidding yourself if you think they have wanted him to be a mute bottom liner who clears the pucks out of the net in the pre-game. He has never got less minutes than a 1st or 2nd liner. You need to get your facts straight. With that said your bolded line means you agree with me. If you draft a guy in the top 5 and in your opinion he "rarely been on the "top line" then that is a problem.
Let me see if I can answer every inaccurate statement in this post.

Yes I am serious. Legwand has been one of the top players on the Nashville Predators since he has been here. I never said the coaches wanted him to be a mute bottom liner who clears pucks out at pre-game. I never said he received fewer minutes than a 1st or 2nd liner. What facts do I need to get straight here? What you bolded does not mean I agree with you. There is no problem with my opinion that he has rarely been on a top line here.

Maybe I should have been more clear as in top line I meant a premier scoring line. This is the 2nd time in his career he has been in this role and not the "shutdown center who chips in offensively from time to time" role. At some point, and I will single you out since you opined it, you have to let go of the fact that 15 years later Legwand isn't a point per game superstar. He was who we were supposed to take. Not every top 5 pick is a generational talent. Have to get passed that. YOu obviously hate the games game, which is fine, but there is no use in hyperbole to try and get over how you feel about him. Legwand is a solid NHL player. A solid pro.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.