HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Why are we ****ty, Dad? Because we have to chase the entire Western Conference.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:57 AM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
I had hockey and didn't watch the game. Have the hit the sack, so can anyone point me towards a quick rundown on the team? Players? Who was good, who sucked and who REALLY sucked?

thanks.
One more try before bed.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Draekke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
I'm quickly moving to apathy about this team. At 2-0 I saw the writing on the wall, turned off the tv and went on to something constructive with my time. Seven years, 3 first overall picks is enough, big money contracts for unproven potential, it's time to start winning.

Just as the Oil always seem to be plugging holes on their roster by creating new ones so it seems the coaching follows this pattern. Last year the Oil had top tier special teams and average at best 5 on 5 play and couldn't win a face off to save their lives. Now they suck on special teams including goofy decision to force feed PK minutes on top players like Nuge who hadn't penalty killed since bantam. I get the motivate by challenging schtick by Eatkins but for **** sake's when lumbering out of the gate with a killer schedule why not simplify instead of pushing wholesale changes in areas that have had success.

Mediocre goaltending has compounded the issues but this team looks bad, still displaying glaring decision making issues, continue to act like the Harlem Globetrotters passing their way out of prime scoring positions.

To much same same on this team with small top six finesse guys who seem to have buckets of skill yet don't put up points and leak defensive goals or chances against because they cannot or won't commit to a 200 foot game. In Yakupov the one young gun with a viable exit strategy, Eatkins is playing the tough love, accountability card that seems to be affected confidence and edge of the seat play Eatkins praised him for in pre-season.

Despite a bonanza of picks, this team had not (yet) pulled a core player from its second round or later picks. This has hurt the organizational depth and we are two, three years from seeing some of this pipeline produce. Goaltending depth is abysmal and a complete fail for management.

I once believed that this team needed to hoard its top four skilled forwards but am coming to believe that one (and sadly Yakupov) will need to be sacrificed to balance out this roster beyond a core of small, finesse players in the Land of the Giants conference.

Hope is dying. This is a results driven business we've been told. Less talk more action.
One of the issues with out fanbase, imo. We all believed at one point that getting first round picks would turn the club around without needing to do much else (obviously no one thinks that anymore). But, even though our three players will likely be awesome, just like everything else about this game, we need to see the results of the actions, and not what is written on paper. Maybe if we had gotten Kane, Stamkos and Tavares things would have gone differently. But we got a group that individually, on a well put together team would be awesome. But because they are all put together on one team, they are all leaning on each other's shoulders for support.

Give the KIDS (seriously, they are still really young) some time to figure it out. Not everyone can be the goal-scoring leader in their third year.

Draekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:58 AM
Joey Moss
Thanks Smytty!

vCash: 226
I keep hearing Rob Brown on the radio talk about wanting to see this team healthy before they do any big moves.. the thing is the reason we are never healthy is because the team is so god damn soft that they're so easy to injure. Nuge could have been injured 3 times in just that 3rd period tonight. One, a knee on knee hit, another Ashton crosschecks him from behind over top of Reimer, the other he was hit from behind into the boards. No one did a thing. The team is small, soft, and they know they can't do a ****ing thing about it because they don't have enough to back it up. Teams have their way with us, and that won't change until the identity of the team changes. You bring in tough guy Ference from a Boston team filled with size, character and grit. He comes here where we have none of it and all of a sudden Ference isn't much of a tough guy. I mean, he didn't even stick up for Nuge on Sunday when Clifford kneed him. He was 5 feet away from the play, starring directly at RNH and he didn't do anything. That was shocking considering that's one of the main things Bruins fans told us he does. You can't just have Ference and Gazdic as these kind of character players. You need to surround the talent with it. This is why I have been so adamant on dealing a Yakupov or an Eberle for some size, grit and balance in the lineup. Because all we have now is a bunch of small, skilled, one-dimensional players and we are far too predictable, far too easy to defend against. You add someone like say, Wayne Simmonds who can forecheck the crap out of anyone's team and bang bodies alongside RNH and Hall for example who will finish the plays off all of a sudden you've got a balanced attack that teams don't really know how to match up against. There is more to building a team than adding a bunch of good hockey players and putting them out there together. You need diversity in the lineup and you need to have strengths in all positions. The Oilers right now have neither. They aren't diverse, especially up front and there only strengths are in the offence that again, has it's own problems as is.

As far as I'm concerned this is an absolute mess that we have right now. There are at least three huge glaring needs to be fixed. One is the size, grit, character I'm talking about, another is a top pairing defenseman and another is goaltending. How on earth these are going to be solved is beyond me. This is MacT's time to shine. You need to do something.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:59 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 500
Quote:
One more try before bed.
Nick Schultz and Bachman played well.

Yak was pretty good.

RNH was decent.

Everyone else was brutal or unnoticeable.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:59 AM
Draekke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
This whole post is .
No. The general fanbase on here is at times. Petulant children that expect to get the things that they want. What about my post is incorrect? If your only answer is that karma doesn't exist, then you've pinpointed the part of my post in which I wasn't being serious.

Draekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:00 AM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Nick Schultz and Bachman played well.

Yak was pretty good.

RNH was decent.

Everyone else was brutal or unnoticeable.
Bachman played well in a 4-0 loss?

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:01 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Bachman played well in a 4-0 loss?
Hasek in his prime probably wouldn't have stopped any of the goals.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thinlizzy

On a plus side more shots. On the negative not so many quality shots at Reimer. Holy crap Jones had 8 shots, too bad he can't finish. My , my Ben Eager with 11 minutes out there and zero hits. Too the minors dude. Your paid to engage not to float. Epic fail. Yak 21 minutes and - 4 looking for some points here buddy. Gags should have been moved to the wing instead. It is going to take him 5 plus games to get into NHL game condition. Eakins overplayed him. Our D is seriously terrible. Trade to upgrade this area. I agree with others here that Eakins interviews are as if he wasn't even at the game. Too many guys on this team are can't compete or don't want to compete and just mail it in. I would call up Omark for a one game show and see what he can do. If he ***** the bed down for the rest of the year. It isn't like anyone else has been consistently been producing. Bach was getting shelled and very little support. Is it me ? Or am I seeing quite a few of our lines turning to the bench late on the back check to allow 3 on 2 in our own end. Soft, soft , soft. Rant off.

Gagner -4
Justin S -2
Yak - 4
Ebs - 3

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lindo

The fact that they're partying at The Rack is pretty sad.

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AssistantCaptain*

Quote:
One more try before bed.
Oilers lose 4-0. Couldn't blame goaltending entirely on this one. The end.

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:05 AM
thinlizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Hasek in his prime probably wouldn't have stopped any of the goals.
+ 1 There is no I in team, but there is an M and a E. Doesn't matter which goalie you put in tonight in the league we still would have lost.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:06 AM
thinlizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
When the cat is away the mice will play. At least Stolley could party and then still play a decent game the next day. I just threw a grenade about that on twitter. LOL

Old
10-30-2013, 01:10 AM
shiva

It wasn't size that killed this team tonight, it was absolute stupidity. How many 2 on 1's did the leafs have tonight, because one of our defense men decided to be a forward instead? I counted 2 goals just from that one issue.

Coaching is a big problem as well. You just don't put out a line of three players who are very weak in their own zone against the number one line that is red hot. Simple as that.

Now, the one thing I have noticed with Yak. He actually may be doing what he has been told to do in his own zone. The main reason he looks so bad is because his line mates are not where they are suppose to be.

The line combos are really bad as well. I think a better mix of vets and superkids are in order here.

RNH-Yak-Perron
Arcobello-Gags-Hemsky
Gordon-Ebs-Smyth
Lander(yes recall him)-Jones-Eager

I think it's time to waive a defense man and bring up Larsen.
I'm assuming Smyth should be ready to go Sat. If Joensuu should come back soon, he will replace Smyth on the third line, and Jones will be scratched.

shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:12 AM
Quinteoilers

I bet my buddy at work-a huge Leafs fan. So I am out 2 $5 footlong (head to head games) and most likely a 40 of Crown for who has the better regular season. Is there anyway I can invoice the Oilers?

Quinteoilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:14 AM
alphahelix

I think this was probably the most consistent and effective execution of systems for 60 minutes that we have seen this year. Kessel was a difference maker for sure. Our guys didn't have the killer instinct around the net. They are a good team that knows how to play, Randy Carlyle is an excellent coach. We did a solid job tonight. Just no results. This is the first time I have said this all season, win or lose.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekke View Post
One of the issues with out fanbase, imo. We all believed at one point that getting first round picks would turn the club around without needing to do much else (obviously no one thinks that anymore). But, even though our three players will likely be awesome, just like everything else about this game, we need to see the results of the actions, and not what is written on paper. Maybe if we had gotten Kane, Stamkos and Tavares things would have gone differently. But we got a group that individually, on a well put together team would be awesome. But because they are all put together on one team, they are all leaning on each other's shoulders for support.

Give the KIDS (seriously, they are still really young) some time to figure it out. Not everyone can be the goal-scoring leader in their third year.
I'm not sure who thought this was a magic, guaranteed formula for winning. There are no certainties. Missing in the equation though has been the support players in round 2-7 seven that help to build out an NHL roster. Despite all the hoarding of picks and some hyperbole nickname of the Oil. Scouting Director and overhyping of prospect pool, we've not seen this pipeline of NHL talent emerge.

There needs to be a better balanced roster and while I personally loath the idea of sacrificing an elite talent, I don't see how this organization can avoid it to build a winning team with the roster holes and weaknesses it has. This is also no longer an inexpensive team with cap flexibility, they have gone all in betting on young potential.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Surprised teams still let Acton handle special teams.

Hasn't been out of the bottom five in years now, yet he keeps getting chances.

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:18 AM
AssistantCaptain*

can someone please forward the rack GMs tweet to dallas Eakins?

Old
10-30-2013, 01:18 AM
alphahelix

MacT should just step behind the bench and do the oldschool GM/coach combo thing. Maybe take over hockey ops too. Pro scouting could use some help as well. It's hard to find good help these days...

We fired a lot of talented people over the past 5-6 years as if it was somehow their fault. Could sure use a Charlie Huddy around here these days. I doubt Barrie Stafford was bad for the room, etc...

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:20 AM
thinlizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssistantCaptain View Post
can someone please forward the rack GMs tweet to dallas Eakins?
I like the way you think. The link is dead for some reason though. Here is Eakin's twitter

https://twitter.com/dallaseakins

Old
10-30-2013, 01:21 AM
plikestechno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhard View Post
In case you were wondering what the Oilers are doing after tonights tough loss, the GM of the Rack (popular Whyte Ave club for those who don't know) just tweeted that members of the Oilers are there partying now. No wonder they're so awful
When you have a bad day at work do you go home and sit in a dark room and cry until its time to go to work again? Do you take every second practicing everything you do at work trying to get better?

Young people party. Young people with money party a lot. Eakins cant ground them and send them to bed without supper, they're grown ups. If I played on this piece of crap team I'd be out partying a bunch too.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:22 AM
FreeRadicals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
This is the oilers now quintessentially...

The original good ol' canadian boys are a bunch of losers, with a ****ing capital L.

Can we just buy these pansies out and get some refund picks from the NHL?

All up for drink! But never a win!

FreeRadicals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:25 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
I think this was probably the most consistent and effective execution of systems for 60 minutes that we have seen this year. Kessel was a difference maker for sure. Our guys didn't have the killer instinct around the net. They are a good team that knows how to play, Randy Carlyle is an excellent coach. We did a solid job tonight. Just no results. This is the first time I have said this all season, win or lose.
A solid job?

Stuffer is that you? Lowetide?

A solid job of terrible pinches leading to odd man rushes and GA, poor defensive zone coverage, blind passes up the middle picked off and put in the back of the net, guys left all alone in prime scoring positions.

They were freakin awful.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FreeRadicals

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
When you have a bad day at work do you go home and sit in a dark room and cry until its time to go to work again? Do you take every second practicing everything you do at work trying to get better.

Young people party. Young people with money party a lot. Eakins cant ground them and send them to bed without supper, they're grown ups.
Worst thing I've ever read. Wake up. They don't care about winning, they don't care about this team. They just want their paycheck and bounce to the next club.

After a loss like today, I don't know how you just get up and go out to party, honestly. I've felt worse playing intramural dodgeball, than these Pansy's do after a NHL blowout.

FreeRadicals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AssistantCaptain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlizzy View Post
I like the way you think. The link is dead for some reason though. Here is Eakin's twitter

https://twitter.com/dallaseakins
...I don't have twitter otherwise I'd snitch on my own side like Snowden