HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Does Ron Rolston make it through the entire season?

View Poll Results: Does Ron Rolston make it through the entire season as head coach?
Yes 61 77.22%
No 18 22.78%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-30-2013, 01:18 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Does Ron Rolston make it through the entire season?

Curious if you think he is staying for the duration of the season.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Good poll... he should be coaching High School hockey... but the General Manager is the guy running the team..

I'd like to read some honest comments from Sabre fans too.... do not fear the truth..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:39 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
I think he makes it to the end of the season, but, I doubt he makes it much past the coming front office purge. Regier is likely gone at the end of the season, with much of the front office likely going with him.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:45 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

I think Rolston will last. That isn't to say he is good, or deserves the position, or has shown any growth as a coach. Can't even say yet how much he has helped the development process of the kids, the guys playing the best are the ones that have had the least contact with Rolston or Ruff.

No, I think he will stay purely because he is the rebound coach, the transitional coach, the coach that takes over for a year to get everyone past the Ruff hangover. Rolston could be replaced before the draft, corporate healing process. Perhaps I'm giving the organization too much credit, that they would consider the psyche of the fanbase, allow Rolston to get the brunt of the abuse, and allow the next coach to have a truly clean slate.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:51 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
I think Rolston will last. That isn't to say he is good, or deserves the position, or has shown any growth as a coach. Can't even say yet how much he has helped the development process of the kids, the guys playing the best are the ones that have had the least contact with Rolston or Ruff.

No, I think he will stay purely because he is the rebound coach, the transitional coach, the coach that takes over for a year to get everyone past the Ruff hangover. Rolston could be replaced before the draft, corporate healing process. Perhaps I'm giving the organization too much credit, that they would consider the psyche of the fanbase, allow Rolston to get the brunt of the abuse, and allow the next coach to have a truly clean slate.
I think I'm on board with you for the exact reason you note.

My disdain for him is no secret. But Regier admitting such a big, grave mistake so quickly isn't really realistic. Not an easy humble pie for any GM to scarf.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:52 AM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
I think he makes it to the end of the season, but, I doubt he makes it much past the coming front office purge. Regier is likely gone at the end of the season, with much of the front office likely going with him.
What are you basing that on?

As far as Rolston goes, if the team continues to look dead out there, and his player usage continues to be nonsensical, then I wouldn't bet on him finishing the season. If he starts doing things that make more sense, even if the team keeps sucking, I think he lasts through this season and maybe even next season

dotcommunism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:57 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

He will make it through this year and the beginning of next year to see development.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:05 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
He will make it through this year and the beginning of next year to see development.
Even as he hinders it to date?

Old
10-30-2013, 02:22 AM
omglolnub

Yes, cause this will be a multi-season tank job. The Sabres aren't gonna pull a Red Sox and sign all the free agents to appear in the World Series the very next year (nor have the luxury of a soft-cap as the Sox do).

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:21 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Don't see him making it through. I expect a new guy after the deadline, too bad that coaching change leads to another stupid late season run.

Or they go balls out, keep him for next season as well and build him a satute as the Tank Master in front of FN Center.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 06:32 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Sadly, I think he does. As we get further into the grind, we'll muster some more cheap loser points and shootout wins. I think he gets fired in the offseason.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

As much we I hope he doesn't to get him away from the development of our youth... I have to think he does and probably half of next season as well. Unless somewhere along the line Darcy goes and then who knows what will happen.

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 07:30 AM
Clock

I think his trial period goes throughout the season, so yes. But if things keep going the way they are, I'd hope we'd bring a more competent guy in next year.

Last edited by Clock: 10-30-2013 at 07:58 AM. Reason: derp
Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 07:37 AM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

yes. i would be very surprised if he doesn't.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Prospector74

I think he is here through this season. I am curious on the hindering development comments. I assume he gets no credit for:

Risto walking on as a rookie and playing well
Zadarov
Girgs
Larsson
Enroth rebound
Myers' improvement
Finding a way to get Foligno making a difference

Do we think Ruff would have been able to do that? Or is that all that we suddenly have great guys that don't need a coach to do things that most youngsters are not able to do? Just curious. I am not a Rolston fan, but I think we are shoveling all of the things we don't like on him and not giving him any props for some things that are going better than expected. We did ice 7 rookies against Dallas (a number which were teenagers and not the #1 overall draft picks)...

Last edited by Prospector74: 10-30-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I think I'm on board with you for the exact reason you note.

My disdain for him is no secret. But Regier admitting such a big, grave mistake so quickly isn't really realistic. Not an easy humble pie for any GM to scarf.
This is recent precedent for that sort of move (Melrose, John MacLean).

I may be imagining things but I feel like in the last couple of games Rolston is getting a bit more bold in his line combos and in the situations he putting players in. Right now I don't see any tangible evidence that he's an impediment to the youth's development (nor do I see tangible evidence he's a benefit yet, either). For a coach with such a scant track record before going behind an NHL bench, I'm willing to see how he develops as well. Could be a disaster, may work out, doesn't matter as long as prospects become legitimate NHL players.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:29 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I wonder if Rolston has a bonus tied to how high their draft pick is this year?

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:32 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Yes, as long as the kids don't regress. Even though, I think he's likely to stay.

I think the goal for Rolston is to get the kids to develop, not to win or to get the vets to play better. As long as that goal is met, he is allowed to stick around.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
At this point, yeah, I think he winds up lasting until at least the summer. Regier is notoriously slow to pull the trigger on anything and it appears the team is right where they've alluded to it needing to be in the standings for draft purposes. As long as the kids are getting direction, correction, and opportunity when warranted, Ron stays. He's the Sabres version of Armstrong in St. Louis.

With Regier still here, there is a layer of insulation for the coach he chose to run the bench.

10-30-2013, 09:55 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Regier wont fire Rolston IMO, at least not this year. if Regier were fired then Rolston would follow almost immediately.

I would have a field day on this board if Regier fired Rolston without even giving him a full year. Honestly, I think Regier and Rolston should be a package deal.

Old
10-30-2013, 09:56 AM
JLewyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
At this point, yeah, I think he winds up lasting until at least the summer. Regier is notoriously slow to pull the trigger on anything and it appears the team is right where they've alluded to it needing to be in the standings for draft purposes. As long as the kids are getting direction, correction, and opportunity when warranted, Ron stays. He's the Sabres version of Armstrong in St. Louis.

With Regier still here, there is a layer of insulation for the coach he chose to run the bench.
agreed. I don't think Darcy would fire him, no matter how bad he is doing. So his job security is tied in with Darcy's.

JLewyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:57 AM
walrus

He's the tank commander. Him and Sacco are here to ensure we get a top 3 pick the next two years. He's doing his job well.

walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
I'm not sold on how much he'd hindering it.....yet.

Doesn't he get SOME credit for Myers rebounding some? Or the way all of the teenagers have looked? Or trying Foligno at center?

Is he a coach I'd want to see take a veteran or even young yet experienced team into the playoffs? GOOD GOD NO.

But, so far.....I think things are going as expected.

I think he's the Sabres coach all year and likely into and possibly all of next year.

Patience is still needed with this rebuild. Others have mentioned it, and I completely concur: 15/16 is the season where we could reasonably expect this team to compete for the playoffs.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:08 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

He needs an Xs and Os guy to create a system in which he can operate on an individual level. He hired Joe Sacco.

I think the watch starts around December-January, and lasts for about a year.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:15 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
He needs an Xs and Os guy to create a system in which he can operate on an individual level. He hired Joe Sacco.

I think the watch starts around December-January, and lasts for about a year.
As incompetent we may think he is, he has no talent or inexperienced talent all over the roster.

Blaming Rolston for this mess is just pointless. That said, I do think they should have had a better record, but maybe some players have checked out of Buffalo already. Thinking about their next team.