HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What is your breaking point as a fan?

View Poll Results: How much longer before you start questioning you allegiance to the Oilers
I bleed copper and Blue 124 41.61%
1 more year 10 3.36%
2 more years 10 3.36%
I am starting to follow another team aleady 31 10.40%
Cheering for the Flames already 18 6.04%
Looking at other options 37 12.42%
I am enjoying the fan meltdown after every lose 68 22.82%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Looks like you've reached your boiling point.
I like this guy.

<mod sidebar: we should trade him while his value is high>

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Have a little faith in MacT. He's going to fix things.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:05 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I like this guy.

<mod sidebar: we should trade him while his value is high>
Me too.

<mod sidebar: Only if we can dump BBO's ugly contract with him>

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Yawn...don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:06 PM
jeety mcjeet

Almost everybody I know has already disengaged from this group more or less. Some of them are season ticket holders - aka tier 1's and about as hardcore as you could imagine. They just CAN'T care anymore.

I watch the games with no enthusiasm, it's almost a chore. I loved that late 90's team same as the OP, at least that team left it all on the ice.

I'm on the waiting list to be become a tier 1 I'm not sure i want to be on it anymore. I could never become a fan of another team but I can't stand this poor example of a team either.

jeety mcjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 147
Suck it, Soli.

Last edited by Del Preston: 11-09-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Del Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:13 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Have a little faith in MacT. He's going to fix things.
Based on what? His long experience in managing which other teams?

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:13 PM
bOILing point

[QUOTE=Booya42;74137763]
Yawn...don't let the door hit you on your way out.[/QUOTE

good on ya. this doesnt bother me. i was you for 30 years

bOILing point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:15 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOILing point View Post
hi my name is Tristram and im an oiler fan.

hi everyone, I have enjoyed reading you posts for years. Hf boards is part of my daily reading. Some of you will judge me and some may understand. I have decided to cheer for another team and abdicate my tier 2 fandom of the oil. i can no longer identify with this organization. Here are my ramblings and reasons from a deranged and abused fan.
First of, if you do not understand what i mean when i say this is NOT year 3-4 whatever of a rebuild, you dont have the right to judge me. We have been rebuilding since we traded Mess. If you werent sold on future kids like reisen and swanson you dont know the suffering i have known. Im 39, cheered for this team for 33 years. Sather sold us on 5 year plans too.
This team has no loyalty. This team has no character. This team takes talented kids and i mean kids and systematically ruins them. This isnt new, Dan cleary,jason arnott, whitney..... the list goes on and on.
In the 90s we had an identity, we couldnt afford the big tickets, but we had grit, were hard to play against...we even had modest success. As a lifelong construction worker i could identify with this.
i loved my Oilers. loved them. we missed the playoffs more often than not but we were always close.
i loved players like grier, ethan, bobo, but we lacked skill. We played a great team game, just couldnt convert on the chances like the top teams.
Fast fwd to this team.........i hate them. They are lazy, cocky, have never won anything and make 6 mil. it makes me want to puke every time i see a kid get run and vets like hemsky or smyth just skate away to the bench, but honestly id do the same. Even our so called grinders wear race car numbers and have flowing hair, as if they think they are jaromir or something. Management doesnt just fire coaches, they betray them, leave their assistants in place because its a job for life, and force the new guy to work with the old guys guys. but they arent even the last coaches guys.......they hire quinn and renney, stab quinn in the back and give it to renney, kruegar is the assistant, then rinse and repeat. its not just firing its betrayal and it makes me sick. now we have a coach who has yet to prove himself treating guys in the media who have been there for 40 yrs like hes on the biggest loser.....so bloody arrogant.
Kevin Lowes a wimp, he doesnt want to be responsible for his actions, so he hires patsy gms but hes clearly involved. His comments about winning are rediculous. Guys, what if we signed vanek or heatly??meanwhile a young player who had success with a big centre naned brodziak sits at home waiting for a call. Glencross. we humuliated ourselves. Our owner is a recluse billionaire in what i think is about the sleaziest industry we have. pharmaceuticals. he basically ransomed the city to get an idiotic design of a building. That thing will cost 2x what they are saying and katz wont be paying.
they disregard the fan, we are done with 80s oiler hires and they know this, yet they hire messier.
they think we are stupid. they think we will always be here.
im not a big fan of smid, but trading a big dman when we so badly need size and grit, is beyond stupid. signing a goalie who openly mocks your organizations fanbase?He is possibly the biggest blithering idiot that ive ever seen clips of.
Imagine for a second your a fan of another team......what a treat it would be to watch this pompous group fail every year so badly. ive coached for almost 10 yrs, just minor hockey. how come i know that yakupov is your best option on the hash marks on the pp, how many goals did he score from stamkos territory last year?? we had a GREAT pp last year... so what do we do? put the best finisher on the pp out of position or in the press box.
And finally...... GAGNER. how do we let someone play centre for us for 5 yrs but dont hold him accountable for zero backchecking.
some of you will say good riddance and some of you are right behind me... but remember i hung in here for over 30 yrs. I cant identify with this team

so im done. f u K lowe and d katz.
I feel ya buddy. Give me Marchant, Murray and Grier any day of the week over Gagner, Eberle and some other stiff trying to score goals off the rush.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

See ya next GDT.

Samwise Gagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Me too.

<mod sidebar: Only if we can dump BBO's ugly contract with him>
His follow up performance wasn't that funny.

<mod sidebar: we can ditch the contract, probably can't trade the ugly>

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
His follow up performance wasn't that funny.

<mod sidebar: we can ditch the contract, probably can't trade the ugly>
I should have done the George Constanza and left on a high note. Allow me to rectify this.

Del Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:36 PM
mactforcoach

I hear ya brother. I suppose my wife & I would fall under the "Tier 1" group, (which I think is a total load of crap) simply because we have and have had season tickets for many years. I suffered thru the Toronto game with my son then the Wings game with my wife. On the way home I told her I'm done driving all that way to watch this BS.
Until I see them make a significant trade IE:
One or more of the big guns has to be moved in order to get bigger and stronger up front
Another major piece has to be sent out to vastly improve our defence
Until that time our seats will remain empty. Next Friday I've agreed to help out with the local Santa Parade in town, might be kind of nice to see a bunch of kids having fun instead of a bunch of kids at Rexall mailing in another piss poor performance.
Oh Yeah and Dallas Eakins: Sorry dude you are in way over your head in the NHL much like when you kept trying to make it as a player. If management would have spent as much energy attracting a true NHL coach over the past few years ala Hitchcock, Ruff, Torts, et al instead of chasing the Heatlys and Hossa's maybe we'd be in a better place.
As for Katz I'm sure he could care less weather they win or lose as long as that damn arena gets built. He stands to make so much money from that deal and the surrounding development that the Oilers are nothing more than a tool to him. Disgraceful!!

mactforcoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:40 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

For me, if I just can't handle watching the embarrassment on a bi-nightly basis then I just resign as a fan of the NHL. It's Oilers or nothing for me.

But the stink is heavy here. We're freefalling. You all think this is rock bottom? Rock bottom is having our #1's start wanting OUT.

Then it's 6 years down the toilet.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Based on what? His long experience in managing which other teams?
He has a good hockey mind and was our best coach since Sather.

He has done more to fix our goaltending than Tambo ever did.

Smid was redundant.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think he's righting the ship, despite the early returns.

Old
11-09-2013, 11:48 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
He has a good hockey mind and was our best coach since Sather.

He has done more to fix our goaltending than Tambo ever did.

Smid was redundant.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think he's righting the ship, despite the early returns.
Think of the GM as a gardener. Even though he may be doing the right things, the delay in those things coming to fruition could be too late and the plant (or team) could die before then.

This organization is completely reactionary. There is no foresight whatsoever. The 5 year plan literally was "Get top draft picks". They have nothing right now. They're scrambling. This is turning into a disaster.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:49 PM
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE
▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiling point View Post
hi my name is tristram and im an oiler fan.

Hi everyone, i have enjoyed reading you posts for years. Hf boards is part of my daily reading. Some of you will judge me and some may understand. I have decided to cheer for another team and abdicate my tier 2 fandom of the oil. I can no longer identify with this organization. Here are my ramblings and reasons from a deranged and abused fan.
First of, if you do not understand what i mean when i say this is not year 3-4 whatever of a rebuild, you dont have the right to judge me. We have been rebuilding since we traded mess. If you werent sold on future kids like reisen and swanson you dont know the suffering i have known. Im 39, cheered for this team for 33 years. Sather sold us on 5 year plans too.
This team has no loyalty. This team has no character. This team takes talented kids and i mean kids and systematically ruins them. This isnt new, dan cleary,jason arnott, whitney..... The list goes on and on.
In the 90s we had an identity, we couldnt afford the big tickets, but we had grit, were hard to play against...we even had modest success. As a lifelong construction worker i could identify with this.
I loved my oilers. Loved them. We missed the playoffs more often than not but we were always close.
I loved players like grier, ethan, bobo, but we lacked skill. We played a great team game, just couldnt convert on the chances like the top teams.
Fast fwd to this team.........i hate them. They are lazy, cocky, have never won anything and make 6 mil. It makes me want to puke every time i see a kid get run and vets like hemsky or smyth just skate away to the bench, but honestly id do the same. Even our so called grinders wear race car numbers and have flowing hair, as if they think they are jaromir or something. Management doesnt just fire coaches, they betray them, leave their assistants in place because its a job for life, and force the new guy to work with the old guys guys. But they arent even the last coaches guys.......they hire quinn and renney, stab quinn in the back and give it to renney, kruegar is the assistant, then rinse and repeat. Its not just firing its betrayal and it makes me sick. Now we have a coach who has yet to prove himself treating guys in the media who have been there for 40 yrs like hes on the biggest loser.....so bloody arrogant.
Kevin lowes a wimp, he doesnt want to be responsible for his actions, so he hires patsy gms but hes clearly involved. His comments about winning are rediculous. Guys, what if we signed vanek or heatly??meanwhile a young player who had success with a big centre naned brodziak sits at home waiting for a call. Glencross. We humuliated ourselves. Our owner is a recluse billionaire in what i think is about the sleaziest industry we have. Pharmaceuticals. He basically ransomed the city to get an idiotic design of a building. That thing will cost 2x what they are saying and katz wont be paying.
They disregard the fan, we are done with 80s oiler hires and they know this, yet they hire messier.
They think we are stupid. They think we will always be here.
Im not a big fan of smid, but trading a big dman when we so badly need size and grit, is beyond stupid. Signing a goalie who openly mocks your organizations fanbase?he is possibly the biggest blithering idiot that ive ever seen clips of.
Imagine for a second your a fan of another team......what a treat it would be to watch this pompous group fail every year so badly. Ive coached for almost 10 yrs, just minor hockey. How come i know that yakupov is your best option on the hash marks on the pp, how many goals did he score from stamkos territory last year?? We had a great pp last year... So what do we do? Put the best finisher on the pp out of position or in the press box.
And finally...... Gagner. How do we let someone play centre for us for 5 yrs but dont hold him accountable for zero backchecking.
Some of you will say good riddance and some of you are right behind me... But remember i hung in here for over 30 yrs. I cant identify with this team

so im done. F u k lowe and d katz.
Bye bye.

11-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Draw me an Elephant

At this point there is only one reason why I have not completely abandoned the Oilers and adopted another team after 25 years as a diehard fan. That reason is that I like watching hockey and Oiler games are the ones that are televised here (and I am too cheap to pay $60/m for center ice). I am so disgusted with this organization that I would have no trouble at all switching loyalties even after investing so much emotionally into this team for so many years.

Draw me an Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 12:01 AM
duul

I've only been a fan of this team for 9 years but it has been starting to get really hard to stand by them. I live in Toronto and I know I don't want to be a Leafs fan. Maybe we could have one of those things again where posters get traded to different boards. I would offer my services to anybody except the Leafs.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 12:03 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

To all the people who say they are done:

Do it. Stop talking and do it. Because it's pathetic seeing people who are so "fed up" and emotional after every loss renounce the team but next game here they are again.

All talk and nothing.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Think of the GM as a gardener. Even though he may be doing the right things, the delay in those things coming to fruition could be too late and the plant (or team) could die before then.

This organization is completely reactionary. There is no foresight whatsoever. The 5 year plan literally was "Get top draft picks". They have nothing right now. They're scrambling. This is turning into a disaster.
I was against that plan every step of the way. I'm betting that MacT is as well. He knows we need an alpha d-man and size up front. Just need to find the right trade partner at the right time.

Old
11-10-2013, 12:12 AM
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE
▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw me an Elephant View Post
At this point there is only one reason why I have not completely abandoned the Oilers and adopted another team after 25 years as a diehard fan. That reason is that I like watching hockey and Oiler games are the ones that are televised here (and I am too cheap to pay $60/m for center ice). I am so disgusted with this organization that I would have no trouble at all switching loyalties even after investing so much emotionally into this team for so many years.
I bought center ice for $200 for the full season, pretty good price if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
To all the people who say they are done:

Do it. Stop talking and do it. Because it's pathetic seeing people who are so "fed up" and emotional after every loss renounce the team but next game here they are again.

All talk and nothing.
Agreed.

MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 12:13 AM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

i respect that you've put up with this team for as long as you have and are now bailing. it's getting extremely clear that this team is going nowhere but further down and i can't blame you for being of a sound mind and not wanting to put up with it anymore. it's weird having an nhl team that you can't cheer for because the losing culture is so ingrained.

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 12:26 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
I love how you say we don't have the right to judge you like we haven't just gone through the exact same thing... It sucks. Get over it. And I say this as someone who's never hated the team as much as I do right now

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 12:27 AM
GoOilers

Good frikkin riddence, hopefuly the door hits you on the way out

GoOilers is offline   Reply With Quote