HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Shoalts on MLSE plans

Old
10-29-2013, 07:48 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Shoalts on MLSE plans

https://twitter.com/dshoalts

Twitter feed from today has a lot of posts from Leiweke on plans for the various parts of the empire (expansions, push for championships).

Including:

David Shoalts ‏@dshoalts 7h Leiweke said MLSE looking at buying Toronto Argos and reno job on BMO field. But said only studying it now.

He's looking to "free up" tickets for ordinary fans for Leafs games. Suggests Seattle then Quebec for NHL expansion (mentions that no governor he's talked to has mentioned that GTA2 is a good idea).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle15139506/
CP story on same

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Tinalera

I do wonder how he would "free up" tickets for fans?

Season tickets are sold out with a waiting list. Rest of tickets, I suppose they could "set aside" tickets, though how to get them around scalpers, I don't know.

Maybe he's going to authorize a reno ala MSG, and put some "Standing room" bridges in the rafters (they're hanging from the rafters here, Jessie!" )

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Pilky01

More platitudes and feel-goodery from Lieweke.

Does he really think Toronto fans haven't heard all this crap before?

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:28 PM
BigZ65

The Argos would be a solid tax write-off for MLSE.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Mightygoose

From the article..

Quote:
]— The chances of an NFL team coming to Toronto in the next decade are “pretty good.”
[/QUOTE]

Already done....they're call the Buffalo Bills...

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:02 PM
cutchemist42

The guy is delusional if he thinks Toronto gets a team before LA or London, unless he sees more then 2 opportunities for a team in the next decade. Toronto NFL fans should know that supporting the Bills series is the best way to show the NFL you mean it, despite how the fans might feel about Buffalo.

I think London has made a better case then Toronto, and that London represents more potential money then Toronto to the league as a whole. The NFL is reaching max tv viewership already in NA and a Toronto NFL team would not move that number. LA atleast gets you the extra gate revenue. London represents your first step into NEW untapped European money. I might sound llike the southern NHL apologists, but I think the NFL would do a much better job taking on 1 riskier franchise in a foreign market then the NHL did attempting multiple risks at once.

Other then that, I don't see where the extra tickets come from.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Face Of Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
The guy is delusional if he thinks Toronto gets a team before LA or London, unless he sees more then 2 opportunities for a team in the next decade. Toronto NFL fans should know that supporting the Bills series is the best way to show the NFL you mean it, despite how the fans might feel about Buffalo. I think London has made a better case then Toronto, and that London represents more potential money then Toronto to the league as a whole.

Other then that, I don't see where the extra tickets come from.
he was clearly joking.... everyone was laughing after he said that

Face Of Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:07 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Of Bear View Post
he was clearly joking.... everyone was laughing after he said that
Didn't know the context, thanks for clearing it up.

Old
10-29-2013, 11:21 PM
Brodie
voted best

London has a zero percent chance of ever getting an actual NFL team and I think deep down Goodell knows that as well as any of us. The sheer number of hoops that would have to be jumped through are so prohibitive that the "but it's only as far from the New York as San Diego" logic is laughable.

I'm willing to bet that before this decade is out, they scale London back to one game a season and move the other international games to new countries.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Noisespektrum

Everyone posting here will be long dead of old age and Toronto will still be no closer to an nfl team.

Noisespektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:09 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714
Toronto FC fans are mighty pissed about the idea of the argos comeing to BMO field. That would mean getting rid of the real grass. Players hate playing on artificial terf in soccer.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:30 AM
cutchemist42

If BMO got redesigned, when FieldTurf go in? Seems like top franchises in Portland and Seattle are using FieldTurf atleast.

Maybe they think an Argos team with a proper stadium makes more money then TFC, or makes enough money where the change is worth it? As an example, from everything I could find on the internet, MLS' tv contracts amount to about $2mil per team while the CFL's is worth $3.3mil beginning next year. So with the tv contract, maybe they see an increase in attendance and gate-revenue to a more football-friendly stadium.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:07 PM
Mightygoose

I recall Leiweke mentioning back when the reports of a possible Argos move to BMO first surfsced was they were not going back to turf.

IMO, It hinges on the cost of repairing the filed after the Argos play 9-10 times per year plus configuring the stands so a CFL field can fit while keeping the sightlines good for soccer.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:44 PM
htpwn

Leiweke being Leiweke.

Much like Burke, as long as I don't disagree with what he is saying, I find his act hilarious.

I mean, who could disagree with this?
Quote:
Like the New York Yankees are to baseball and the Dallas Cowboys to football, the Leafs must become “the greatest hockey team in the history of the National Hockey League.”

“Toronto is the heart and soul of the great game of hockey,” he said.
'Bout time somebody said it. Hear that, Montreal?

Quote:
Given 17 of 19 Toronto FC games were played in rain at BMO Field this season, “we’ve got to put an end to that, it’s time to put a roof on BMO Field.”

— At the requests of the city of Toronto, which owns BMO Field, MLSE is looking at whether the venue can be changed to accommodate the CFL. “The Argos are part of a conversation, not a decision that’s been made.”
What an odd aberration. Toronto's not Vancouver or in England. It doesn't rain that much here.

Leiweke has said in the past that the Argos don't go into BMO Field unless it improves the experience for TFC. Turf is not an option; it is an absolute red line for a good chunk of an already pissed off TFC fan base.

Quote:
— MLSE is looking at whether a larger block of tickets should be freed up to get some new Leafs fans in the ACC to make the venue livelier.
Not going to work.

Your still selling these tickets for $200+ a pop!

How about a Supporters Zone? Or something akin to Millionaires' Row in the Old Montreal Forum?

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightygoose View Post
i recall leiweke mentioning back when the reports of a possible argos move to bmo first surfaced was they were not going back to turf.

Imo, it hinges on the cost of repairing the filed after the argos play 9-10 times per year plus configuring the stands so a cfl field can fit while keeping the sightlines good for soccer.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post

Well done

Old
10-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Well done

I make those types of comments all the time myself, so couldn't help but catch it.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:14 PM
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Toronto FC fans are mighty pissed about the idea of the argos comeing to BMO field. That would mean getting rid of the real grass. Players hate playing on artificial terf in soccer.
Even if MLSE ends up buying the Argos, I have a hard time believing they'll play at BMO. Decades of horrible games in poor weather (wind, rain, sleet) played on that exact lakefront location led to SkyDome in the first place, Toronto FC has the same problems several times a season. Not a good location for a football stadium, and I think the CFL would want Toronto to be able to host a Grey Cup at some point. The CFL will explore all opportunities in the suburbs (Mississauga, Vaughn) before BMO.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:35 PM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

BTW... something to think about when it comes to turf.

Portland has a pitch that players like Thierry Henry will actually play on... though Henry would probably never sign here. It's decent for soccer, and Portland State University's football program (the reason the turf is there) only plays 5-6 games a year. BTW, that 5-6 games is to announced crowds of 5,000 per game, the rumor is that only 1,500 tickets per game are sold for PSU, and the lease is up after this season. PSU can't even get it in the news that there's talk of not renewing the lease. If that happens, Portland MIGHT go to grass.

Seattle's a rather hard turf. Vancouver's is apparently the most atrocious in the league. Of course, both venues have pro teams that pound the turf much more.

Toronto FC has to look at the track record and think that the Argos are bad business. I also have a sneaking suspicion (from thousands of miles away; you may judge accordingly) that the Argos would probably do better in the 'burbs.

Meanwhile, I trust that people who support Markham understand the political realities here?

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:57 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
BTW... something to think about when it comes to turf.

Portland has a pitch that players like Thierry Henry will actually play on... though Henry would probably never sign here. It's decent for soccer, and Portland State University's football program (the reason the turf is there) only plays 5-6 games a year. BTW, that 5-6 games is to announced crowds of 5,000 per game, the rumor is that only 1,500 tickets per game are sold for PSU, and the lease is up after this season. PSU can't even get it in the news that there's talk of not renewing the lease. If that happens, Portland MIGHT go to grass.

Seattle's a rather hard turf. Vancouver's is apparently the most atrocious in the league. Of course, both venues have pro teams that pound the turf much more.

Toronto FC has to look at the track record and think that the Argos are bad business. I also have a sneaking suspicion (from thousands of miles away; you may judge accordingly) that the Argos would probably do better in the 'burbs.

Meanwhile, I trust that people who support Markham understand the political realities here?
The main question is if people will pay to see the Argos in a better stadium over watching on tv. While it might be hard to differentiate which team is driving the ratings, the Argos have been in two games that pushed past or near 1mil viewers. One involved the Riders while the other game involved the TiCats. Other matchups have produced in the 600,000-800,000 range. Not saying the Argos are a huge media draw, they are more likely middle of the pack compared to the whole league. I just wonder if a better stadium gets people to leave the tv.

The CFL would not be the only football league having this problem. CFB and the NFL are having SLIGHT attendance problems relative to stadium size too while battling the tv watching experience.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:07 PM
gelu88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
Even if MLSE ends up buying the Argos, I have a hard time believing they'll play at BMO. Decades of horrible games in poor weather (wind, rain, sleet) played on that exact lakefront location led to SkyDome in the first place, Toronto FC has the same problems several times a season. Not a good location for a football stadium, and I think the CFL would want Toronto to be able to host a Grey Cup at some point. The CFL will explore all opportunities in the suburbs (Mississauga, Vaughn) before BMO.
I woudn't agree. Exhibition stadium was a very open, exposed venue. It suffered many of the problems TFC is suffering now.

But an expansion/renovation of BMO field would almost certainly involve fully enclosed sides as well as a roof over most if not all of the seats.

It would shield the game from most of the elements, and at the very least reduce the impact to a level tolerable to everyone.

gelu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:14 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNinoSays View Post
Everyone posting here will be long dead of old age and Toronto will still be no closer to an nfl team.
Amen.

OttawaRoughRiderFan* is offline   Reply With Quote