HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban behind Boyle and Letang for Team Canada

Old
11-02-2013, 07:18 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You make it sound as if people are saying PK needs constant complimenting like he's an insecure woman. I have no idea how that can be your understanding of what's being said here.

As for the so called compliment, was it? PK brings a heck of a lot more than what Therrien mentioned. If that's his assessment of PK, it's a pretty bad one. It actually makes sense that it's the way he views PK if we look at how he uses him.

People don't care about complimenting PK. They just want Therrien to support his player in the media, which he seems to have a hard time doing, yet does it for others.
Kriss. I responded to this post.

Quote:
"He really does not want to give Subban a compliment."

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Kriss. I responded to this post.
To which I responded, was it really a compliment?..

He said ''PK brings energy, score goals and offense''. That's a compliment to you?
It's an assessment, not a compliment.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

He said ''PK brings energy, score goals and offense''. That's a compliment to you?
Like I said... passive aggressive.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Camio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Little to do with what? Beside, it wasn't "someone", it was the majority of a board that has hundreds of users. The fact many of us agreed on the idea of a bridge contract is a proof that there was a certain logical reasoning behind it.
But now, in hindsight, bridge contract was wrong, right? You're proving a point I made earlier.

Quote:
I brought up Emelin to image the impact of a "little" over payment here and there when spread out to a full roster. I also never mentioned Brière, so I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

(about bringing up DD to this convo)
Not by me.
You feel so defensive you're acting like I said you brought up Emelin, DD or Brière. I wasnt even talking about you. I was referring to some posters prior in this thread.

Quote:
Are you seriously going over the respective contracts of PK and DD based on the same premise of avoiding risk by handing out a bridge deal? Are you seriously going down that road? Do I even need to bring out arguments to justify how ridiculous of a point this is?
As I said, I'm not the one bringing those 3 players in this convo in the first place. I did say it makes no sense as neither of those 3 are comparables. Why were they brought up, who knows? Could be someone desperated to support his narrative. Not gonna lose sleep over this one.

You blaming me for awnsering to them?

Camio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:

Exactly. You take the scoresheet, and you say those things. PK has a lot of points...and that's a compliment? I mean, he didn't say he was GREAT offensively, he says he contributes....Sorry, if that's his type of compliment, we are every right to be skeptic of Therrien. Let's hope he does it behind closed doors.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 09:16 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Exactly. You take the scoresheet, and you say those things. PK has a lot of points...and that's a compliment? I mean, he didn't say he was GREAT offensively, he says he contributes....Sorry, if that's his type of compliment, we are every right to be skeptic of Therrien. Let's hope he does it behind closed doors.
Fire Therrien and hire the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders as coach

Old
11-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Or trade Subban for being greedy and selfish.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 09:28 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:
Or trade Subban for being greedy and selfish.
Have you seen the Cowboys cheerleaders?

Old
11-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

Quote:
Didn't know Robinson, Tortorella and all the others who are actually praising their top players are cheerleaders. Thanks for telling me.

Old
11-02-2013, 10:06 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:
Didn't know Robinson, Tortorella and all the others who are actually praising their top players are cheerleaders. Thanks for telling me.
Fire Therrien for morphing into Jacques Martin.

We have once again regressed into being very passive on defense. Too many guys standing around watching the play instead of attacking the puck.

Have you seen the Cowboys' cheerleaders?

Old
11-02-2013, 11:54 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

Subban watch.....behind Adam McQuaid and Paul Ranger now....

Old
11-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Subban watch.....behind Adam McQuaid and Paul Ranger now....
Yup, somebody send Yzerman a clip of that pass.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:41 AM
holyhabs

Pernell "Can't play defense" Subban

holyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:28 AM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Yup, somebody send Yzerman a clip of that pass.
Proceeded by his coverage of McKinnon on the second goal.
On that goal, Bournival stopped to skate as he was warning PK of McKinnon's presence.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 05:17 AM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Fire Therrien for morphing into Jacques Martin.

We have once again regressed into being very passive on defense. Too many guys standing around watching the play instead of attacking the puck.

Have you seen the Cowboys' cheerleaders?
LOL, you're incapable of proper analysis. Therrien sucked long before tonight. You just base his performance on W/L. He's the same MT he's always been, preaching the same system he's always preached, nothing change other than the poor play/decisions made by therrien are finally catching up.

He sucks.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 05:44 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Proceeded by his coverage of McKinnon on the second goal.
On that goal, Bournival stopped to skate as he was warning PK of McKinnon's presence.
Well, big rebound and in on that one. Yes, he could've done something different but I don't blame him for that one. Third goal though was ugly.

Old
11-03-2013, 06:51 AM
otto bond

PK has struggle like most of his teammates. Stills lead the Habs on Offence. Has tried to do to much and resulting in to many turnover. Last night was just bad execution and the entire team was guilty of that.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 07:11 AM
MTL-rules

Come on guys, PK was superb the first 7 games, he's been total crap ever since, offense AND defense... he needs to go back to the basics and hussle a little defensively, he's way to passive.

Might be because of Markov overall greatness lately, but something isn't right. Can't wait for Emelin to come back and paired back Subban with Gorges...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 07:22 AM
LeMAD

Subban still has to mature a bit. But we all knew that already.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Genghis Keon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camio View Post
Bridge contracts are a way to minimize risks for teams while also keeping the cap hit of your younger players lower for a bit longer.
Paying young players what they are worth without factoring in their potential growth is also a way of mitigating risk and keeping the cap hit of your younger players lower for longer.

For example, a player has proven himself over two years to be say a top 15 to 35 player at his position. The 15th highest cap hit at his position is about 5.5 million, the 35th highest cap hit around 4.6 million. Since the player has proven his level of play at that range, paying him that salary will almost assuredly never be an albatross, especially as overall league salaries increase.

So the salary won't be bad because the player has proven his salt and is paid on what he has proven (mitigating risk). The player is also young and improving and inflation tends to raise salaries and cap limits over the years. The result is you're very likely going to save money on the player's salary for the length of his contract (keeping the cap hit lower for longer).

Quote:
You can use PK as an example all you want because after he got his bridge contract, he won the Norris.

PK wanted Doughty's kind of money and when he saw the Habs werent budging, it supposedly went down to 5m or so.
PK supposedly wanted Doughty money according to some. According to most, it was always in the 4.5-5.5 million dollar range, but that's neither the here nor there. If it went down to 5million, it'd still be paying him what he's worth, so would be mitigating risk and lowering his cap hit for longer.

Quote:
I'd rather sign PK (or any young guys) to bridge contracts and then see who really reserve the big contracts.
PK would have deserved 5 million a year.

Quote:
Its kinda odd to see people complain about teams being too generous with contracts lenght/money but when their favorite player's involved, all common sense should be tossed aside.

Kind of a double standard.
Paying someone what they're worth isn't being generous.

Quote:
Any agent, when being told "the bridge contract is the organization philosophy" would laugh at that GM and ask for a long term if there's a precedent. They can holdout like PK to get it also if needed.

Just check the Oilers to see where this leads.
Don't tell them it's the org philosophy. Tell them if they want a big contract, they have to prove themself, like PK.

Quote:
Leave PK out of this for a minute. Forget you got a huge bias (as do several on this board) for PK and think of this situation from a management stand point. Any argument so far for PK are only when talking about PK, excluding any other things this involves. This isnt how it works. What they did last year for PK was gonna have an effect down the line. The reason they were able to give PK the bridge deal was due to what they had done in the past.
That or PK just wanted to play hockey.

etc. etc.

Pay a player what he's worth and you'll be fine. Myers was paid for his potential and the Sabres are paying for that decision. It's all about worth, regardless of the players name (ie this doesn't just revolve around PK Subban). If player holds out for more than he's worth, let him hold out. If you haven't paid players for their potential, they don't have a leg to stand on.

Genghis Keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Keon View Post
Paying young players what they are worth without factoring in their potential growth is also a way of mitigating risk and keeping the cap hit of your younger players lower for longer.
Very well put.
Quote:
PK supposedly wanted Doughty money according to some.
Haven't seen that reported anywhere. That may have been the speculation at the beginning but it became clear early on that this was not the case.
Quote:
According to most, it was always in the 4.5-5.5 million dollar range, but that's neither the here nor there. If it went down to 5million, it'd still be paying him what he's worth, so would be mitigating risk and lowering his cap hit for longer.
Widely reported by pretty much everyone that this was the range. And we're talking CBC, TSN, NHL Network... anyone with a shred of credibilty was echoing those numbers.

No reason not to believe this was the range. Anybody saying it wasn't has some kind of agenda or axe to grind.
Quote:
PK would have deserved 5 million a year.
Based on his play, yes he would.
Quote:
Pay a player what he's worth and you'll be fine. Myers was paid for his potential and the Sabres are paying for that decision. It's all about worth, regardless of the players name (ie this doesn't just revolve around PK Subban). If player holds out for more than he's worth, let him hold out. If you haven't paid players for their potential, they don't have a leg to stand on.
Once again, very well put.

If PK were asking for seven million over five years I'd be fine with a bridge. But that's not the case here. And the fact that we forced him to take less than 3 mil is a disgrace.

Old
11-03-2013, 10:06 AM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Subban still has to mature a bit. But we all knew that already.
What does this even mean, anymore? You rarely see anyone else say that a 23 year old player needs to mature in this league. You rarely see any players being told they need to mature. Seems PK is the only one with an attitude that needs fixing.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Camio

Quote:
Anybody saying it wasn't has some kind of agenda or axe to grind.
Quote:
Well, big rebound and in on that one. Yes, he could've done something different but I don't blame him for that one. Third goal though was ugly.
Of course you dont. Blaming him for the 3rd goal tho is a step. Must be a first. It was obviously due to MT's misuse of PK tho, right? You've the same guy who posted in the gamethread vs the Stars (I think) that PK had a good game while everyone else pointed the few mistakes he made and the fact it was another tough game for him. Take your blinders off.

Who has an agenda? We got many posters (seems to be a clique) who are so obsessed by PK and cant stand the fact he isnt performing well and will blame it on everything else. MB, MT, Dregger being an idiot for reporting about TC, TC being idiots for not saying PK's the captain for Canada in 2014.

I wonder who has an agenda. Its been how many poor games in a row now? Slumps do happen, every players has them. In this case, its different (as it always is with PK apparently), because PK's slump is due to any elements but PK. It surely cant be because PK's game isnt where some would make you believe it is yet, or the fact he's still young. Or the fact that anyway, any pro athletes go into slumps.

Yet, convos like this and whining like this is rampant in several threads, and the same narrative is being done by the very same people. Its not PK's fault, according to some people.

Thats an agenda. Dont say the people who happen to not agree with you have an agenda. Some of the critics you guys bring up is just plain ridiculous.

The bridge contract vs big contract is just another example. Its PK, best player since Gretzky, he should get all he wants because he's different. Early in PK's career, he had a rep has a selfish guy. Personally, I think he got that because he was flamboyant, was outspoken in the room, was chirping on the ice and things like that arent the norm in the NHL. They do happen in other sports tho and it doesnt mean the said player is selfish.

Yet, as soon as anyone say anything about PK, he's an idiot or doesnt have a clue by that same clique.

The gamethread was another example. People arent idiots or dont have a clue because they choose not to be homers.

When you are starting to defend PK should be getting a big contracts by bringing up the Oilers and praising them, maybe there's a lack of arguments?

Last edited by Camio: 11-03-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Camio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Last year I remember Therrien's comment when asked about the unravelling of Price.
"Carey Price is our best player".

Period. Stop. End of sentence. He's our guy. Everybody get off his back.

With PK this year, different story. Cost us 2 goals. Let me describe it for you. Everybody get on his back.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Last year I remember Therrien's comment when asked about the unravelling of Price.
"Carey Price is our best player".

Period. Stop. End of sentence. He's our guy. Everybody get off his back.

With PK this year, different story. Cost us 2 goals. Let me describe it for you. Everybody get on his back.
So true.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote