HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Sergei Zubov

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2005, 10:39 PM
PapaBear*

vCash: 500
Sergei Zubov

Whats his market value right now? I would think hes one of the 5 stars untouchable players? (Modano, Morrow, Zubov, Turco, lehtinen).

Would you say hes still a top 15 defenseman? Maybe top 10?

Old
07-20-2005, 02:02 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
Whats his market value right now? I would think hes one of the 5 stars untouchable players? (Modano, Morrow, Zubov, Turco, lehtinen).

He's still top 10, no doubt.. He's had an off-year (still a respectable 44 points and had a +19 in the 2nd half of last season), but he's still a premier two-way defenseman with the type of skillset you don't see anymore..

As far as his market value, I have no idea. It should be comparable to the likes of Adam Foote and Rob Blake.

Old
07-20-2005, 02:05 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott = Snott
He's still top 10, no doubt.. He's had an off-year (still a respectable 44 points and had a +19 in the 2nd half of last season), but he's still a premier two-way defenseman with the type of skillset you don't see anymore..

As far as his market value, I have no idea. It should be comparable to the likes of Adam Foote and Rob Blake.
Is it apparent that the Stars will sign him or might Zubov entertain offers from other teams?

Old
07-20-2005, 02:29 AM
KStewart113

I wouldn't say hes a top 10....nor would I say LEhtinen should be an untouchable.

Old
07-20-2005, 08:40 AM
Bubba Thudd
Infer-Action!!!

vCash: 7757
I'm not convinced Modano will be in Dallas.

Sure, he's a franchise player, but the Stars have to cut payrolls somewhere. And considering Modano's money-problems, he might not be willing to lose too big a chunk of money. He might have to entertain bigger offers from other clubs.

Modano or Guerin...tough choice.

Old
07-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Is it apparent that the Stars will sign him or might Zubov entertain offers from other teams?
Zubov has no intensions to leave Dallas. He also isn't as money fictionated as some others (*cough* Bill Guerin). Add to that that Sergei Zubov is the Stars only top pairing defenseman, seeing as Boucher is more of a tweener (#2/#3) the Stars would desperantly want him as well. The Stars lack some serious depth on the blueline, and Zubov is one of the Stars first priorities to lock up. I'd be very shocked if Zubov even considered other offers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStewart113
I wouldn't say hes a top 10....nor would I say LEhtinen should be an untouchable.
You've just underrestimated the valeue of the Stars most underrated players. Jere Lehtinen is the Stars most untouchable skater, even more so than Morrow, Modano or whoever. YOu can only make a case for Marty Turco as holding more worth to the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd
I'm not convinced Modano will be in Dallas.

Sure, he's a franchise player, but the Stars have to cut payrolls somewhere. And considering Modano's money-problems, he might not be willing to lose too big a chunk of money. He might have to entertain bigger offers from other clubs.

Modano or Guerin...tough choice.
You've got to be kidding me..

When you're having trouble deciding between an inconsistant powerforward wannabe who does nothing but float, and one of the premier franchise players of the league who still is among the most complete players in the game today, then you aren't to be taken seriously.

And what's all this "Modano is in financial trouble" crap? Just because he lost some money due to unfortunate advices *2 years ago* doesn't mean he's broke and wants to play for the maximum and the maximum only. Modano is a mighty millionaire, has everything his heart desires and has stated several times that he wants to retire a Star no matter what. Before the lockout started, he was already in talks with the staff about a possible career-ending contract that would have him in the Green and Gold till 2010. It was the staff self who figured it was better waiting how the new CBA would look like. I expect Modano to sign a career ending contract with the Stars as soon as players are allowed to sign with teams.

Old
07-20-2005, 09:10 AM
Bubba Thudd
Infer-Action!!!

I hope you're right. Modano belongs in Dallas.

The rumor I heard, though, was that he had an interest in returning to Minnesota.

Old
07-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:

The rumor I heard, though, was that he had an interest in returning to Minnesota.
Those are just that, rumours..

I expect more rumours to develop since Modano gave an radio interview last week. Saying stuff like "we'll see where I'll play next year" and "I want to be a Star but you'll never know".. The typical stuff to let management know he wants to be signed as soon as possible and to get some pressure on Doug Armstrong.. Both parties want eachother badly, but both also want a deal in the best of their own interests, both are working on the latter right now.

I'm not worried one bit, regardless of rumours or quotes..

Old
07-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Oiltalk

Definately top 10, and higher than a dman like Jovo IMO.

Old
07-20-2005, 05:06 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear

I don't know about those 5 being untouchables. Maybe Turco and Morrow. The rest could move on. Dallas is in position to rebuild or partial rebuild.

Old
07-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott = Snott

Zubov is not now and never has been in that league. He is not nearly as complete as either Foote or Blake, and I don't think he has ever been "top 10" in the NHL. Better defensemen in the last few years include Foote, Blake, Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Chara, Redden, Gonchar, Leetch, Regehr, Ohlund, Jovocop. There may be others as well.

Old
07-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Definately top 10, and higher than a dman like Jovo IMO.
Disagree. Jovo can be guilty of horrific errors in his own end, but he still dominates physically in a way that Zubov never could.

Old
07-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Zubov is not now and never has been in that league. He is not nearly as complete as either Foote or Blake, and I don't think he has ever been "top 10" in the NHL. Better defensemen in the last few years include Foote, Blake, Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Chara, Redden, Gonchar, Leetch, Regehr, Ohlund, Jovocop. There may be others as well.
Zubov and Foote are in the same league - just different styles. Foote isn't a complete player, fantastic defensively/physically but is fairly limited offensively.

Zubov's not a top-10 anymore, but certainly was in his prime. He was better than Redden, Regehr and Jovo are now.

Last edited by Zine: 07-20-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old
07-20-2005, 07:32 PM
ShippinItDaily

Send a message via MSN to ShippinItDaily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine
Zubov and Foote are in the same league - just different styles. Foote isn't a complete player, fantastic defensively/physically but is fairly limited offensively.

Zubov's not a top-10 anymore, but certainly was in his his prime Zubov. He was better than Redden, Regehr and Jovo are now.

Yeah but when he was in his prime guys like Macinnis, Chelios, Hatcher and Bourque were also a lot better then they are now, save Bourque and Macinns as they're careers are both probably over now, Bourque for sure obviously.

Old
07-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Foote does not have high end offensive skills, but he has averaged about 30 points a year in the last three seasons, and been completely dominant in the defensive end.

During that same time, Zubov averaged about 47 points (which is impressive in Today's NHL).

The difference in points between the two players does not come close to the difference in every other aspect of the game.

Old
07-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Zine

Zubov's numbers have gone down because he's taken on a more defensive role the last few years (while still averaging 47 points). He's extremely underrated defensively - an effective and reliable player in all aspects of the game (pp,sh,es). Yet, when called upon, can turn it up offensively.

I think Foote's lack of offense, more or less, limits him from being a true bonifide #1 d-man (atleast on an upper echelon team).

Zubov and Foote are in the same class. Just comes down to each team's individual needs on the blueline.

Last edited by Zine: 07-23-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old
07-20-2005, 08:43 PM
txomisc

Quote:

I believe i actually made taht rumor up in one of these threads.

Old
07-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Bubba Thudd
Infer-Action!!!

Perhaps you did, but that's not where I saw it. I'm new here.

Old
07-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

I'd have to disagree with you Darth, I personally do think that Zubov is a top 10 dman in this league--at the bottom of those 10 mind you. He's got the experience, the ability to lead a powerplay, and in the past 7 or 8 years, he's proved that not only is he not useless on defense, but he can responsibly play out there against a top line as well as log some Penalty Kill minutes. He'll never be a physical defenseman, and should never be confused as a guy who can go out and dominate a power forward. But, I think his defense has evolved to a point where he could be considered the NHL's premiere "poor man's Nik Lidstrom". At least, that's how I've viewed him in the past few seasons.

As for comparisons with him a Foote, it's a tough call. It's not so tough to outright rank them right now, since I'd say most people, myself included would rather take Foote. However, I'd say Zubov has already hit his prime, whereas Foote is currently in it (hence the widespread hype of him as one of the top 3 Defenseman UFAs to be on the boards).

Old
07-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

This is one of those rare threads where people debate the value of two particular players and do it with informed opinions and pure balance.

I really liked your posts, Ensane.

Anyway, I tend to overrate more defensively oriented dmen, which may be part of the problem.

Old
07-21-2005, 10:49 AM
wedge

I would love Zubov with the habs. He's so underated because he's not physical

Old
07-21-2005, 10:55 AM
GagneScores12

Zubov is so smooth back there. I like the fact that when he plays, he makes it look effortless. To me, that's a sign of a truly great player. As well, being a physical player tends to be somewhat overrated on the boards around here. Being a smart positional player is just as important, maybe even more so, when you consider that positional players are never caught out of place. But like I said though, I like the fact that Zubov seems to make things look effortless.

Closed Thread