HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin extended for 4 years (4.1 Million per)

Old
10-31-2013, 11:31 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
yeah a guy that, at this moment, is not picture to be top 8 for team Canada next Olympics...
Stamkos in 2010: 95 points ( His 2nd best season points wise)
Martin St Louis in 2010: 94 points

Both were left off the Olympics team. Skill has nothing to do with Team Canada.

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Subbaman

vCash: 615
That 's a bit steep but he does bring solid defensive play along with great clease-clearing and shutdown ability...

I also feel like he does have some offensive upside.

Subbaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Agalloch

vCash: 500
I like the contract, I was predicting 3.5 but 600k more isn't that bad since the cap will rise. I really really like the 4 years.

I expect Markov to sign a 3 years contract for 5M per and Subban a 7-8 years for 8 M per.

Diaz and Bouillon will not be retained IMO. Murray could return to be the 6th dman (a la Bouillon this year, for 1.5) and I think Tinordi will be a full time Hab next year.

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:32 AM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

a little expensive, but I'm glad we signed him. Love the kid, can't wait for him to be back.

attachetatuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:33 AM
Habskrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I realize that Emelin making less than 4M annually is more 'aesthetically pleasing'...but in the end, there's not much difference between say, 3.5M and 4.1M

If Emelin is a free agent this summer, there would be a number of teams more than willing to offer him 4M+ annually
It all comes down to how his recovery went. If Emelin plays like he did before. Good. If he manages to also keep improving. Great! But if he's slowed down or not as good anymore, or too injury prone. Then, damn.

As of right now, we don't know how many teams would jump on the chance to sign him. I'm sure there will be some. But for how much will only be determined by how well he plays when he's back.

Habskrieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:33 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
ron fournier is a straight up idiot. You'd be better off quoting some drunk at a bar.
yeah, of course he's an idiot, but he's still has been reporting that from talks he had with people around the league who believe PK is too risky for the Olympics scene....

Do i wish PK makes the team and make us proud? Sure

Let's just hope it happens.... but some voices says it might not be a so sure thing, i'll respect these opinions as i can see why some people would not think as highly as PK as people on this board....

And as idiots are they might be, the opinions of Darren Dreger or Ron Fournier, are as worthy as a guy called Overlords on hockeysfuture....

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:34 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKing View Post
Stamkos in 2010: 95 points ( His 2nd best season points wise)
Martin St Louis in 2010: 94 points

Both were left off the Olympics team. Skill has nothing to do with Team Canada.

thank you for making my point

Old
10-31-2013, 11:34 AM
CaptainBenn
King Thranduil swag

Quote:
right now in the last 5 games, yeah some players where better to the Habs than PK... you take Bournival on a list i made with Interrogations mark at the end.... hypocrites, i also said Markov, Price and Plekanec.... maybe they where better than PK last 5 games....

now if your saying player in an entire season for the habs who will be the best, i would have a tendency of agreeing on PK but last 5 games? No sorry, he wasn't
Then why are you arguing?? When I say he is the best player on the team it means overall not "whos producing more right now"
Markov used to be the best but not anymore, Plekanec isnt in their league and Price could become the best
But right now Subban is the best and most valuable player on the team...

CaptainBenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:35 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
Quote:
So you're point is that it's ok for Team Canada to leave their best players behind? Ok. Stamkos finished 5th in the NHL that year. St Louis 6th. Good for 2 and 3 in terms of top Canadian scorers.

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
It all comes down to how his recovery went. If Emelin plays like he did before. Good. If he manages to also keep improving. Great! But if he's slowed down or not as good anymore, or too injury prone. Then, damn.

As of right now, we don't know how many teams would jump on the chance to sign him. I'm sure there will be some. But for how much will only be determined by how well he plays when he's back.
Well the Habs obviously believe and like Alexei Emelin as a player...so they're showing some faith here. There's nothing wrong with that

and again, the fact Emelin is/was a pending UFA and the cap is going up...

All this belly aching, is much like everything cap related, much to do about nothing.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Drunk World Order

There would be 29 other gms around the league that would pay him that or more...He's a rare breed of D Man and you will have to pay a premium. He's has opposing players on edge every game. Now we sign Markov for one more year at 5 Million and Sign Subban 7 years 7.5 Million a year...Tinordi and Beaulieu Make the full time transition next year and Maybe sign Murray or Another Vet D Man as insurance!...Oh yeah I forgot about Diaz maybe 2 to 3 years at 2.5 a year. And were Set!!!

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Adriatic

I believe Emelin can develop to be exactly like Hjalmarsson is for Hawks. He is the same type of player, top 4 physical d that can skate and move the puck. Not necessarily offensive but decent offensive awareness. Hjalmarsson makes 4 million.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Shaby23

What a ****ing horrible contract. The guy is not playing for an entire year and we sign him FOUR YEARS 4.1M PER........... Is Bergevin smoking or something?

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:37 AM
sharks9

@Real_ESPNLeBrun:
Not sure why some Habs fans think team overpaid for Emelin, top-4 D, shutdown blue-liner, would have made more on open market next summer

@Real_ESPNLeBrun:
Volchenkov is $4.25 M a year in NJ, Bieksa is $4.6 M a year in Van.... Emelin's deal is within the market parameters

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:38 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
Then why are you arguing?? When I say he is the best player on the team it means overall not "whos more producing right now"
Markov used to be the best but not anymore, Plekanec isnt in their league and Price could become the best
But right now Subban is the best and most valuable player on the team...
because i don't live in the universe where i take account the 82 game season an potential, i live in the present where, in the last five games, PK has not been the best player on this team.... i guess it's everyone is way of seeing things....

but mostly i was against your comment about him being the best D in the league which i don't agree on

Old
10-31-2013, 11:38 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Your original point was that of Subban not being our best player, something you have come woefully short of showing. Bringing up the olympics and moving the goalposts hasn't got you anywhere.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:39 AM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

I like Emelin so it's not like the DD situation... But this is yet another perplexing extension doled out by an arrogant, impulsive GM.

And people were giving The last regime's pro-scouting grief but pretty-boy Bergevin extending Desharnais, Bouillon, Drewiskie, Briere and an injured Emelin is no cause for concern?

It's likely not going to be a bad signing but it's not a discount and there was no rush. Just a head-shaker.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habsfanatics

Quote:
What would you suggest would be an appropriat contract?
About 13million over 4 years. I wouldn't ave given him 4 years. I would have waited until we see how he responds, there's all kinds of question marks about Emelin, the biggest being, we really don't know how good he is.

I wouldn't have rushed to sign him at all.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
@Real_ESPNLeBrun:
Not sure why some Habs fans think team overpaid for Emelin, top-4 D, shutdown blue-liner, would have made more on open market next summer

@Real_ESPNLeBrun:
Volchenkov is $4.25 M a year in NJ, Bieksa is $4.6 M a year in Van.... Emelin's deal is within the market parameters
once again, both Bieksa and Volchenkov had played more than 105 NHL games (no complete season too)

Bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JohnLennon

8 million between Gorges and Emelin may be a little bit hefty, but I think it's well worth it. Two of the best defensive d-men; both shutdown, top-4 guys.

This is really good news. I was starting to grow weary of an overly offensive blueline.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Gally11

You guys are going to have to get used to the idea of inflation and predicted salary caps in 2-3 years when considering upcoming salaries.. 4 mil now for him is not the same as 3 years ago.

It's a good deal if he continues along same path.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:41 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKing View Post
So you're point is that it's ok for Team Canada to leave their best players behind? Ok. Stamkos finished 5th in the NHL that year. St Louis 6th. Good for 2 and 3 in terms of top Canadian scorers.
no, my point is that it's not because you have skills and your a fan favorite in Montréal that you make the team if it's not what the brass wants or if they simply don't like you for their team...

And has much as stats Wise you're right about Stamkos and St-Louis, the team won the freakin gold medal so who the heck would we be to argue the choice made.... a team is not just made of superstars....

Old
Habskrieg

Quote:
Well the Habs obviously believe and like Alexei Emelin as a player...so they're showing some faith here. There's nothing wrong with that

and again, the fact Emelin is/was a pending UFA and the cap is going up...

All this belly aching, is much like everything cap related, much to do about nothing.
I agree that it shows a great deal of trust and appreciation on management side. I think most worry how Emelin's performances will be after sufering a major injury and undergoing surgery. Adding also his relatively limited experience in the league.. And how that will measure up to this new contract.

Habskrieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Sorry Diaz, we are all out of money.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
What a ****ing horrible contract. The guy is not playing for an entire year and we sign him FOUR YEARS 4.1M PER........... Is Bergevin smoking or something?
What do you mean for an entire year? Last time he played for us is April 6, 2013, we are October 31st..

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote