HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin extended for 4 years (4.1 Million per)

Old
10-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Yaldabaoth

vCash: 500
Good deal. Like the player and the terms.

I'm a bit surprised by the timing but he's been skating for a while and I'm sure MB did his homework about his knee. When he returns I hope he'll replace Bouillon on the pp and show better offensive skill. My guess is by the end of the season if he stays healthy and progress again, Bergevin is gonna look like a genius for this deal because a ufa of his type would get a lot more on the open market.

Yaldabaoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
What part of defensively is Gorges that much better at then Emelin? Skating?? checking? breakouts?? oh no wait I know he's better at being positionally sound, is that it lol?
to be fair he's one of the best shot-blocker in the league

Bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
Yes so I guess we can agree to disagree...
He won the award for being the best D and was voted by paid journalists!

If Crosby doesnt play good for a few games Id still think hes the best player in the league... I dont change my mind everyday, what if hes injured or has a cold? Was Crosby the best in the league yesterday or was it Doughty?
yeah in the absolute your right and i agree with you, but there is absolute and there is what have you done for me lately... there was time when both were playing that you could say that Malkin was playing better than Crosby, so during that time, Malkin was the best player.... but if you'd ask me to pick one to built a team for the long run, i'd pick Crosby

If you ask me to pick a Habs D considering the last 5 games, i pick Markov, if you ask me to pick one for the year or a number of years, of course i'd pick PK

If you ask me about any player on the team, i would probably pick PK, but i case can be made that Price can be more important to the team than PK, and in 2 years all that talk maybe around Chuckie being top of the litter....

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
What part of defensively is Gorges that much better at then Emelin? Skating?? checking? breakouts?? oh no wait I know he's better at being positionally sound, is that it lol?
Hard to say since we haven't seen Emelin play his natural side in a while, but Gorges is pretty damn good positionally most of the time, and is better at blocking shots. Emelin is a better skater and better at getting the puck out.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:53 AM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
I like the contract, I was predicting 3.5 but 600k more isn't that bad since the cap will rise. I really really like the 4 years.

I expect Markov to sign a 3 years contract for 5M per and Subban a 7-8 years for 8 M per.

Diaz and Bouillon will not be retained IMO. Murray could return to be the 6th dman (a la Bouillon this year, for 1.5) and I think Tinordi will be a full time Hab next year.
lol markov for 5m when emelin just got a 4.1m contract, gl with that. hes our most used dman and hes a pmd on top of that. look at streits contract.. hes older than markov and isnt half the player that he is. and yes i know his contract is terrible but players like gonchar and streit set the market value for markov

try closer to 6-6.5m

TT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Maybe in the old system, but in the new one where we chase the puck carrier like headless chickens, Gorges' effectiveness seems to be diminishing.
Yep.. last couple of games, we played like we used to play under Martin.. and Gorges looked a lot better.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brainiac

A little high, but then again, MB knows things we don't. He probably has an idea of the cap projections for the next few years AND he's got the medical evaluations for Emelin. The guy is probably 100%.

Now, the way Markov plays, I don't see him taking a pay cut. It's gonna be 2 years at 5.75 (and maybe more!).

I still stand by what I said when the rumours came out: Bergevin is not fixing his major issue (Subban) and it won't be optimal in terms of management.

What will he do with Subban? He'll extend everyone and somewhere in August 2014, it's gonna be: "Sorry PK, we just have 6.5 left for you"

I want to hear rumours that Bergevin is talking contract with PK, godammit!

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I like Emelin so it's not like the DD situation... But this is yet another perplexing extension doled out by an arrogant, impulsive GM.

And people were giving The last regime's pro-scouting grief but pretty-boy Bergevin extending Desharnais, Bouillon, Drewiskie, Briere and an injured Emelin is no cause for concern?

It's likely not going to be a bad signing but it's not a discount and there was no rush. Just a head-shaker.
Extending Bouillon for one year, at a low price (1500000)? That's cause for concern?
Extending Drewiskie for two years, at a low price (637500 per)? That's cause for concern?
Signing Briere was a risk, but it's 2 years, at a decently low price. He hasn't proved anything so far. Season isn't over, I think Briere can turn it back around seeing as he's a proven player.

Only thing I can agree on is DD. And in Bergevin's defense, DD was playing well at the time. And his contract isn't totally gross. It's bad, but it could have been worse, ala Gomez.

Cupmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:54 AM
shutehinside

I don't get it. What do you guys think a top 4 defecman costs these days??

His absence was sorely missed at the end of the year and he's getting slightly more than Gorges.

What's the problem?

Great signing! Can't wait to see him blow **** up when he's back and shore up our backend.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:54 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaldabaoth View Post
Good deal. Like the player and the terms.

I'm a bit surprised by the timing but he's been skating for a while and I'm sure MB did his homework about his knee. When he returns I hope he'll replace Bouillon on the pp and show better offensive skill. My guess is by the end of the season if he stays healthy and progress again, Bergevin is gonna look like a genius for this deal because a ufa of his type would get a lot more on the open market.
First post since signing up in 2010! Geez. I don't know whether to say 'gtfo noob' or not

Old
10-31-2013, 11:55 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
For a team chasing the puck carrier like headless chickens, we sure aren't allowing a lot of goals...
Didn't say it wasn't effective. At least it's effective when the chasers can skate well. I imagine murray is going to have a lot of trouble.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Yep.. That's another debate. I don't mind the 4 years.. but 4.1M$ is a big high to me. Not that I don't like the guy but what he has around 100 NHL games under his belt... He doesn't have much leverage just ike DD...
Emelin has much of the leverage. He's a top 4 defenseman in a market that's nearly bone dry in supply, he's comfortable playing in the KHL so that's an option for him, and he's developing quite the reputation as a player that's hard to play against.

Glad they got it done early.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:56 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

8 million for Emelin and Gorges. 8 million (approx) for Subban. We're going to have one expemnsive ass d corps.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:56 AM
Fifthgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
NO, he's not
yes he is ...

Fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:57 AM
Agalloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
lol markov for 5m when emelin just got a 4.1m contract, gl with that. hes our most used dman and hes a pmd on top of that. look at streits contract.. hes older than markov and isnt half the player that he is. and yes i know his contract is terrible but players like gonchar and streit set the market value for markov

try closer to 6-6.5m
Markov could be signed to a 3 years contract

2014-2015 6M 35 years old
2015-2016 5M 36 yeas old
2016-2017 4M 37 years old

I think it's fair value. Streit at 5.25 is a bad contract.

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:58 AM
habamillions

who's this emelin character. haven't seen him all year.

insert joke here

habamillions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

That's a lot of money for someone coming off a serious injury... We don't even know how well he'll play.

But, I love Emelin so I guess it's alright as long as he keeps up how he was playing.

Theosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Ayatollah Chowmeini

I think this says two things on the surface.

1. Montreal/Quebec tax rates really do play a role in our contract negotiations. We end up paying a half million or so more than other markets would for the same contract. In a low-tax market, I'm pretty sure Emelin would've taken 3.5 or so. This is by no means a qualitative judgment on Quebecois social policy. I think that something should be done with the way salary cap is calculated to reflect this, but I doubt it ever will.

2. Bergevin is pretty confident that the cap is going to continuously go up over the next few years. With the profits posted by the league in the shortened season, I'd say he's probably right. This contract will take a lower and lower percentage of the total cap over the next few years.

These are just my first reactions after seeing the numbers be higher than I expected. Pure opinion/conjecture.

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
Markov could be signed to a 3 years contrat

2014-2015 6M 35 years old
2015-2016 5M 36 yeas old
2016-2017 4M 37 years old

I think it's fair value. Streit at 5.25 is a bad contract.
I think it would make him the first and only defensemen to ever sign (or even get 6M$ ) at 35 years old.

I'm sorry that's WAY off the charts.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
coolasprICE

emelin and murray need to sandwich kessel asap

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 12:02 PM
Agalloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I think it would make him the first and only defensemen to ever sign (or even get 6M$ ) at 35 years old.

See. Timonen.

http://capgeek.com/player/746

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Draft

Don't like it. Should've waited until he got back to see how he'd perform. He could've waited two months and maybe paid .5-1mil more but would have known he's worth it. A year too long as well IMO, this could come back to bite us.

Or,

We could get really lucky and Emelin returns as good or better than he was playing before and this is only a slight overpayment. If he comes back being less mobile and struggles to play his physical game because of it.....

High risk - low reward move.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
He's not going to play until December/January. Anyway you don't sign a contract like that to a guy we don't know how much his injury is going to affect him. Was it really urgent to sign him?
People need to get over the injury... He was never the fastest, and for all we know he could be faster coming back. Remember he is making millions, the team will employ the best of the best for physio. He is at a great age where his body is probably the strongest he will ever be.

You believe management has the same reservation as you? I absolutely don't think so. He may not be ready yet, but I am sure they like his progression.

Now to continue with "did they have to sign him now?", YES! He will be a UFA at the end of the year and you don't think other teams will be calling? It was so easy for the Habs to go out and get a minute eating, hard hitting, in his prime defensemen... We should risk losing him, we have a ton of players that can replace him...

In the worst scenario, his knee is totally finished, he retires and doesn't count against the cap. If his play is not up to even Emelin standards, you think he will stay in the NHL? He will be put on LTIR and his contract will run out.

Finally a good extention by MB, 4.1 AAV for a player that could of easily gotten at least 5 AAV on the open market.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs

Seems like a typical Montreal overpayment to me, glad it isn't my money.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post

the average is 5 per year. Look at gonchar.