Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How to get useless plugs/goons out of the NHL

Old
10-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Colt.45Orr

vCash: 500
How to get useless plugs/goons out of the NHL

I don't know the logistics of it all, but I think there has to be a solution out there where players are suspended for 10 games per fight if their average ice time-per-game is not over 10 minutes (your average, average player).

This means that players like Iggy, Lucic, McQuaid (just examples on Boston) are not effected by the new rule at all, but talentless 4th line plugs are completely run out of the league.

This would be easy to implement. We are seeing all kinds of rules out there right now to try and limit fighting in an attempt to hurt the goons. We don't need to limit fighting, we need to limit it to players who can fight and not UFC level players like Scott (these are the guys who will kill someone one day).

Thoughts?
Is there a better solution?

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 10:07 PM
bruinsfan46

The game has been naturally going away from goons for a while now (except for maybe a minor resurgence lately). Lots of NHL teams are without one. OHL hockey has killed the production of goons/heavyweight fighters with their helmet rules and now the ten fight per season rule. The OHL and the WHL have been traditionally the breeding ground of these guys traditionally and if they aren't getting jobs in the OHL they won't be getting pro hockey gigs. In the end it's up to coaches/GMs and their decision of is it worth to give this guy an NHL spot so he can fight/hurt people?

Last edited by bruinsfan46: 10-23-2013 at 10:22 PM.
bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 10:32 PM
VanIsle

Colt, you are awesome and the answer is 20+ game suspensions. 5 games in a 82 game season is a nice vacation, 20+ games off is a real hit to the $$$$ in their pocket.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 10:45 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
I don't know the logistics of it all, but I think there has to be a solution out there where players are suspended for 10 games per fight if their average ice time-per-game is not over 10 minutes (your average, average player).

This means that players like Iggy, Lucic, McQuaid (just examples on Boston) are not effected by the new rule at all, but talentless 4th line plugs are completely run out of the league.

This would be easy to implement. We are seeing all kinds of rules out there right now to try and limit fighting in an attempt to hurt the goons. We don't need to limit fighting, we need to limit it to players who can fight and not UFC level players like Scott (these are the guys who will kill someone one day).

Thoughts?
I say anyone is allowed 3 fights in a season... after that suspensions start getting handed out for fights that are staged or instigated...

Guys that average more than 10 mins of icetime are allowed 6 fights before facing suspension.

Suspensions for guys that dont average 10 mins should last 3/5/7/9/11 games and so on for each fight. Guys who do average 10 mins just get a one game suspension.

I dont want to take fighting out of the game if a fight is required to keep a dirty player in line but when the minimum salary is over 1/2 million a season and goofballs like john scott want to keep their job then no amount of penalties suspensions or equalizers will stop them

So on top of individual fines you must penalize the team that employs these meatheads so whenever a fight suspension happens the team loses a roster spot.

How long will scott have a job if he is only allowed 3 fights before buffalo starts playing 17 skaters?
(Oh wait they already do when he dresses)

Most teams arent so gutless though and will stop dressing meat.

Bring back the days of oreilly and holmgren and fergerson and gilliess and probert when the toughest player in the league could play top line minuets too

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

For every hit that these non-intelligent players like Scott do like tonight, you suspend them 10-30 games in the season and if their team make the playoffs, you force them to play 20-25min per game for the entire 1st round...

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 10:50 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:

Thoughts?
it starts with getting rid of fans who constantly insist on their team signing goons like Orr and McGrattan....oh wait

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 10:52 PM
nords1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
For every hit that these non-intelligent players like Scott do like tonight, you suspend them 10-30 games in the season and if their team make the playoffs, you force them to play 20-25min per game for the entire 1st round...

LOL

Best conclusion I'Ve read on this board. That would be very fun to see Orr and McLaren go for a 25 minutes .... jeez thay would be exhausted!!

nords1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 10:56 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
I say anyone is allowed 3 fights in a season... after that suspensions start getting handed out for fights that are staged or instigated...

Guys that average more than 10 mins of icetime are allowed 6 fights before facing suspension.

Suspensions for guys that dont average 10 mins should last 3/5/7/9/11 games and so on for each fight. Guys who do average 10 mins just get a one game suspension.

I dont want to take fighting out of the game if a fight is required to keep a dirty player in line but when the minimum salary is over 1/2 million a season and goofballs like john scott want to keep their job then no amount of penalties suspensions or equalizers will stop them

So on top of individual fines you must penalize the team that employs these meatheads so whenever a fight suspension happens the team loses a roster spot.

How long will scott have a job if he is only allowed 3 fights before buffalo starts playing 17 skaters?
(Oh wait they already do when he dresses)

Most teams arent so gutless though and will stop dressing meat.

Bring back the days of oreilly and holmgren and fergerson and gilliess and probert when the toughest player in the league could play top line minuets too

Only problem with limiting the number is that once a good player like Lucic gets one below the limit, he'll be unmercilessly cheat shotted and goaded into taking that last fight to get him suspended.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
it starts with getting rid of fans who constantly insist on their team signing goons like Orr and McGrattan....oh wait
I don't think we should have nukes in the world, but if a different country has one than I sure as hell want my country having them too.

Old
10-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Dom - OHL
ohlwriters.me

Quote:

Thoughts?
Glad you asked

http://ohlwriters.com/articles/ohl-s...one-year-later

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 10:57 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
I don't think we should have nukes in the world, but if a different country has one than I sure as hell want my country having them too.
and that mentality is why the NHL still has goons

/thread

Old
10-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
Only problem with limiting the number is that once a good player like Lucic gets one below the limit, he'll be unmercilessly cheat shotted and goaded into taking that last fight to get him suspended.
He plays more then 10 mins so hes allowed to fight... just not allowed to stage fights or instigate

If hes responding to a cheapshot he will be allowed to beat the snot out of whoever is stupid enough to take him on with all the goons out of the game

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 11:04 PM
trenton1
Yes

I like the 10 min. TOI avg. idea.

But what do they do at the beginning of the year or the first game for that particular player?

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 11:07 PM
nords1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom - OHL View Post
--

Dom, are you an encyclopedia

Good article

nords1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 11:09 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
I like the 10 min. TOI avg. idea.

But what do they do at the beginning of the year or the first game for that particular player?
if it's a veteran player then go by last year's TOI stat. If it's a player's first game then let them be subject to the same punishment as the goons. Would prevent teams from calling up career-AHLers like a Bobby Robbins type to try and circumvent the rule, and they don't want the kids fighting anyway.

Old
10-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Great article!

Old
10-23-2013, 11:24 PM
JoeIsAStud

Honestly the solution is more simple than that.

You hold coaches and GM's responsible for the players they choose to put on the ice.

Whatever fine Scott get's Rolston and the GM should get at least the same if not double.

When the Penguins were trotting the predator out on the ice, Bylsma, Shero, and yes Mario himself should have been forking tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars out of their own pockets everytime that monster attacked.

Until we hold the people responsible for putting these guys on the ice responsible for their actions, nothing will change

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Culture of Hockey
Classless Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
Honestly the solution is more simple than that.

You hold coaches and GM's responsible for the players they choose to put on the ice.

Whatever fine Scott get's Rolston and the GM should get at least the same if not double.

When the Penguins were trotting the predator out on the ice, Bylsma, Shero, and yes Mario himself should have been forking tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars out of their own pockets everytime that monster attacked.

Until we hold the people responsible for putting these guys on the ice responsible for their actions, nothing will change
Precisely.

Don't go looking for an exotic, rare zebra when there's a horse standing in the middle of the room.

The Sabres know full well what type of hockey "player" Scott is and what he brings to the table.

Culture of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 12:14 AM
Tank Commander Cor
OT Thread Leader

vCash: 72
To be fair, Colton Orr isn't really a goon. He isn't a scorer by any means, but he has been solid this year, we have been impressed.

Tank Commander Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 12:18 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor View Post
To be fair, Colton Orr isn't really a goon. He isn't a scorer by any means, but he has been solid this year, we have been impressed.
He played good for them in the playoffs last year when they knew he wouldn't be fighting, Scott would never make the playoff line-up.

Old
10-24-2013, 01:52 AM
Odie

All of the league's worst cheap shot artists average more than 10 minutes a game. This is worse than the instigator rule.

Odie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 04:35 AM
Over the volcano

Quote:
Scott's never had 10 fights in a season.

Over the volcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 04:56 AM
spokedB

Suspended without pay for as long as their victim is unable to play. If, like Matt Cooke, he hands a career, so be it - he can play pond hockey if he can find 12 year olds who don't know him.

spokedB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 05:47 AM
Selke37
Bear since 1989

Suspension should also be based on the amount of the games the respective player was dressed.

If he would get a 10 game ban but was dressed only every third game the suspension should be multiplied by 3 (30 games ban).

Selke37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 06:04 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
Shanahan: "When you make the playoffs we'll force you to play Scott for 20 minutes a game"

Rolston: "I fail to see the threat...."

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote