HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IX:

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2013, 12:50 PM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
I think yak could fetch a good dman but not a true top pairing without adding to the trade.

Yak, Hemsky and Smid for something like Bogosian and Wheeler would make me happy as an oiler fan and I believe it would be a fair trade.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:55 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 500
Yakupov value is low. We all talk about the last two weeks of the season last year and over look the first 2 months. He is not starting his career too well and his value is low

Old
11-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Matt19Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
I'd even change the 2nd for the 2015 1st if need be. Or add a better roster player (Smid?)
Oh I would too, I think that a guy like Ehrhoff would be invaluable to this club.

Also: I've left my imagination run wild a bit here:

Add Gagner to the trade on our end, add Ott on Buffalo's end, and sign Stastny to replace Gagner, do an Eberle for Simmonds+ and you have a top 9 of:

Hall-RNH-Simmonds
Perron-Stastny-Yakupov
Ott-Gordon-Hemsky

That top 9 just makes me excited. Ott can play wing or center, and can slide into the top 6 in a pinch if a centerman gets injured, and keeping Hemsky around is some scorinf insurance in case a winger gets hurt.

Last edited by Matt19Oilers: 11-04-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old
11-04-2013, 12:57 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joensuu View Post
Yakupov and Petry packaged to Tampa for Carle, Gudas +
Where is the first pairing D in your proposal?

Old
11-04-2013, 01:04 PM
robbiezyg

vCash: 1234
Hartnell is exactly what MacT should be going after. If he is in fact available, he should do anything and everything to get him. we've been needing a player like him for a long time now.

ditto goes for steve ott.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:05 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
is yakupov for a 1st pairing left d realistic?
Probably not, a legit #1D man is going to command more than Yakupov. Maybe if Yak turns it around. But #1D guys are like Doughty, Peitrangelo, Karlsson, Subban, Chara, etc.

If you mean a top 2 d-man, im sure they could get Bogosion out of Winnipeg if they wanted, i suspect it would be Yakupov + small pick or minor prospect.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Who?

Old
11-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMacT View Post
We did the whole "let's wait til the offseason and then sign all the good players" last year, and how did that work out? Most "to be FAs" were extended by their respective clubs, and the quality UFAs who tested the market elected to sign with competitive clubs.

In before Andrew Ference is a stud
There are only a handful of starting goaltender spots available in the offseason and a bit more then a handful of starting goaltenders hitting the market. IMO, I'd handicap Hiller's options as Anaheim (if he's in the plans), New York Islanders, or Edmonton.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:28 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
There are only a handful of starting goaltender spots available in the offseason and a bit more then a handful of starting goaltenders hitting the market. IMO, I'd handicap Hiller's options as Anaheim (if he's in the plans), New York Islanders, or Edmonton.
and how do you think that will work out?

They should be able to get a better performance out of the goalies in the future but I sincerely doubt the Oilers can find any meaningful long-term solutions via free agency.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:50 PM
OilerFan4Life

I think anyone suggesting we deal Yakupov before Eberle is flat out crazy.

Yakupov, despite his struggles, is far ahead of where Eberle was at the same age level. Remember Ebs was in the WHL!

Yakupov also brings more compete and energy and not to say that Ebs doesn't care....but he's so smooth out there that it seems like he doesn't care.

If one of the kids has to go, seeya Ebs.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Matt19Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

Yakupov, despite his struggles, is far ahead of where Eberle was at the same age level. Remember Ebs was in the WHL!

Yakupov also brings more compete and energy and not to say that Ebs doesn't care....but he's so smooth out there that it seems like he doesn't care.

Agreed. At the same point in his hockey career, Eberle had just been cut from the Oilers for the 2nd time. I like Yak's combination of compete and upside WAY more than Eberle's.

It is my opinion that if all 4 of the "kids" were to stay here, we would see Hall, RNH and Yakupov all significantly pull away from Eberle in thw not so distant future. I just don't see Eberle having much more to offer than what we've already seen.

Old
11-04-2013, 02:03 PM
I3ig13ig

Quote:
Ew.

Closet Bolt fan are we?

Old
11-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

Disagree. Yakupov is the floater. He seems to think he is the whole forward line. Doesn't use any of his linemates. I have seen it too many times. Eberle at least uses his linemates and is producing regardless who are his linemates. Will Yakupov grow and be better? maybe. But he has a huge learning curve to get over. Eberle at this point is better.

Old
11-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
Disagree. Yakupov is the floater. He seems to think he is the whole forward line. Doesn't use any of his linemates. I have seen it too many times. Eberle at least uses his linemates and is producing regardless who are his linemates. Will Yakupov grow and be better? maybe. But he has a huge learning curve to get over. Eberle at this point is better.
Eberle bloody well should be better than Yak. He's four years older with 210 NHL games played to Yak's 61.

Old
11-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
There is nothing to suggest Yakupov is even remotely a floater, especially in contrast to last year where he was one of the harder working players on the team, and a someone who played very well within a team concept.

This year he's been singled out by a coach who took two months to figure out that the team itself doesn't have the defensive fundamentals nailed, and is hardly the only(or even worst) example of ineffective defensive commitment, and poor team play.

Old
11-04-2013, 02:26 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
Hartnell is exactly what MacT should be going after. If he is in fact available, he should do anything and everything to get him. we've been needing a player like him for a long time now.

The problem with that is we would need to send salary back the other way.
So you would think what ever the package is, Hemsky would be going the other way.

Old
11-04-2013, 02:36 PM
robbiezyg

vCash: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
The problem with that is we would need to send salary back the other way.
So you would think what ever the package is, Hemsky would be going the other way.
done haha. hemsky although playing very well this year.. is a carbon copy of what we already have. if Buffalo or Philly wants him, send him over.

Old
11-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
and how do you think that will work out?
Well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
They should be able to get a better performance out of the goalies in the future but I sincerely doubt the Oilers can find any meaningful long-term solutions via free agency.
I think we're better off signing goalies from the free agent market cause we sure haven't shown an ability to develop them. I think we'll likely see a complete overhaul of the position at the NHL level. If I had to guess right now, I'd say Hiller/Halak and a backup coming from Europe.

Old
11-04-2013, 02:51 PM
40oz

If the Oilers can land a goalie like Hiller in free agency, do they think of resigning Dubnyk as a backup? Or has that ship sailed.

Old
11-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3ig13ig View Post
Ew.

Closet Bolt fan are we?
No, It's cool, the + is obviously Drouin.

Old
11-04-2013, 03:49 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
If the Oilers can land a goalie like Hiller in free agency, do they think of resigning Dubnyk as a backup? Or has that ship sailed.
I'd still take the gamble that he can be better than his play this year, but if he's expecting a payday, he better not get it from us

11-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Jesse Joensuu

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Where is the first pairing D in your proposal?
Carle has more points than any oilers defenceman. plus you add Gudas, who leads the league in hits. Carle's bomb from the point will help our non existent pp.

Old
11-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post

Except that...

Scott Hartnell is 31 years old, has a cap hit of 4.75 million, and has a contract until 2019 - when he will 37 years old by then.

and keep in mind that Hartnell's scoring has been dropping. He scored 12 pts in 32 games last year, and has scored 0 points in nine games this year.

I would be willing to take a risk on Hartnell - but he is a HUGE risk, and is certainly not worth a lot in assets.

Old
11-04-2013, 03:55 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Well?

I think we're better off signing goalies from the free agent market cause we sure haven't shown an ability to develop them. I think we'll likely see a complete overhaul of the position at the NHL level. If I had to guess right now, I'd say Hiller/Halak and a backup coming from Europe.
My guess....and this stems from my breezy-candy-floss outlook on life....is that the Isles, Blues, Panthers, Flyers, Flames and potentially Tampa all weigh in on goalies in the off season and we get to eat the scraps with Buffalo...

queue two months and 5 million dollars on Evgeni Nabokov...

Old
11-04-2013, 03:56 PM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
I really don't think Hemsky will be traded until close to the trade deadline. He's an important depth piece for our top 6 right now.

MacT will more than likely trade Hemsky at the deadline for more assets, then turn around and flip those assets (or other pieces made redundant by the new assets) in the off-season for something he's looking for in the off-season.

It makes more sense from a trade value POV, but not from a team development POV.

Closed Thread