HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Language, how important is it?

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 08:47 AM
loveshack2

vCash: 500
Language, how important is it?

Well, how important is it to a player in the NHL to be able to speak or at least understand English?

Most of the time when a player who doesnt speak english comes over he has a team-mate who at least can speak his native tongue and translate for him. How important is it on the ice for players to speak a common language?

Anyone have any specific examples of players who played on a line together and didnt speak a common language? Or were defence partners?

Only one I can think of of the top of my head is Datsyuk. But a Detroit fan would be better able to say who his linemates have been and just how much English he's been able to speak since he arrived.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:21 AM
X8oD

Datsyuk After a recent interview in detroit:

"OK, We done, That be 5 Dollar"

he knows\understands allot more english than thy let on. i watched him on the bench last year listening to Dave Lewis and Brett Hull, and nodding his head or shaking his head after comments.

part of me thinks the language barrior between Datsyuk and The wings was hype. A better example would be Dmitri Bykov. He never spoke any english, and never fit in here in the states. Some say thats why he left and took that contract in Russia, and Why Datsyuk didnt. Datsyuk Fit in and adapted well. Bykov did not.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:23 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
Well, how important is it to a player in the NHL to be able to speak or at least understand English?

Most of the time when a player who doesnt speak english comes over he has a team-mate who at least can speak his native tongue and translate for him. How important is it on the ice for players to speak a common language?

Anyone have any specific examples of players who played on a line together and didnt speak a common language? Or were defence partners?

Only one I can think of of the top of my head is Datsyuk. But a Detroit fan would be better able to say who his linemates have been and just how much English he's been able to speak since he arrived.

When Datsyuk came over, he didn't speak a word of english. Max Kuznetsov and Igor Lariniov helped him out. But at the same time his linemates were Hull and Devereaux at the time. You would see them using hand siginals on the bench. As for his english now, he speaks alot better, and now does interview with the press. He even joked with the press to give him 5 dollars after an interview. They said last year he was pretty shy and pretended not to know the language

Old
09-29-2003, 09:30 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2

Sather has implimented a rule that Ranger players can only speak English on the bench, ice and in the locker room. I'd say it's important because it allows players to communicate with each other and bond more.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:16 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I remember the time they tried to appoint Mike Keane as the captain of the Habs but the fans protested because he wasn't French and didn't speak a word of French

Old
09-29-2003, 10:43 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Sather has implimented a rule that Ranger players can only speak English on the bench, ice and in the locker room. I'd say it's important because it allows players to communicate with each other and bond more.
That's pretty screwed up actually.

I can understand the importance of not wanting "cliques" to develop, but that takes it too far. It works out well for all the players whose first language is english, but for the others, it would suck quite a bit. If players cannot be themselves when they are with the team, they will feel disassociated from it, hurting team chemistry.

I've been in many situations where I wasn't that strong in the language that was being spoken by everyone else. I had no problem with being in that situation, but it does take a mental toll on you, and would always get into side conversations with people in English, just to give my mind a bit of a break.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:50 AM
InstantFunk

Was this not one of the reasons that Cechmanek didn't fare so well in Philly? Playoff consistency on the side, I remember hearing that Cechmanek just couldn't click with any of his teammates or the fans in general because he wasn't the worlds greatest speaker of English. Any truth to this?

Old
09-29-2003, 10:58 AM
Ticallion961

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantFunk
Was this not one of the reasons that Cechmanek didn't fare so well in Philly? Playoff consistency on the side, I remember hearing that Cechmanek just couldn't click with any of his teammates or the fans in general because he wasn't the worlds greatest speaker of English. Any truth to this?
Wouldn't surprise me, english development seems to have a lot to do with where the players are from

czech aren't good at the english (jagr, hasek)

Sweeds seem to be good (sundin, aldfredsson)

and you can decide the other nationalities for yourself, obviously it doesn't apply to every player

Closed Thread