HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raphael Diaz

View Poll Results: What should we do with Raph Diaz?
Signed him long term (4+ years) 5 5.81%
Signed him short term (1-3 years) 39 45.35%
Let him leave at the end of this season 42 48.84%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2014, 02:25 PM
  #51
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon
 
Son Oncle Jerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Any new thoughts on Diaz? He played 6 games with Vancouver, 2 of them at forward, then he's traded to NYR and can't get into their lineup.

Good example of how we get attached to our players and overvalue them. Glad MB got an NHL player for this guy but it would not have been the end of the world if he just walked.

Team is getting stronger one player at a time.
Didn't want to be that guy, because obviously, I have a thing for bashing Diaz and I absolutely have a bias against him (to the eyes of the members here, anyway...), but how is that a surprise to anybody?

Son Oncle Jerry is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 02:35 PM
  #52
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Any new thoughts on Diaz? He played 6 games with Vancouver, 2 of them at forward, then he's traded to NYR and can't get into their lineup.

Good example of how we get attached to our players and overvalue them. Glad MB got an NHL player for this guy but it would not have been the end of the world if he just walked.

Team is getting stronger one player at a time.
Yes, we're much better with Murray, Emelin, and Weaver. Emelin has more upside, i can live with that. Same with Beaulieu and Tinordi. But Murray and Weaver?

Diaz almost never got scored on as a Hab. He'd have had more points if he wasn't glued to Bouillon too. Vancouver has a crazy deep defense when healthy.

Natey is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 02:37 PM
  #53
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Didn't want to be that guy, because obviously, I have a thing for bashing Diaz and I absolutely have a bias against him (to the eyes of the members here, anyway...), but how is that a surprise to anybody?
I'm surprised a third NHL team was willing to waste time with him.

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 02:39 PM
  #54
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,241
vCash: 500
Was saying he wasn't very good a year ago - and was argued about it.

gusfring is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 02:39 PM
  #55
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon
 
Son Oncle Jerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Yes, we're much better with Murray, Emelin, and Weaver. Emelin has more upside, i can live with that. Same with Beaulieu and Tinordi. But Murray and Weaver?

Diaz almost never got scored on as a Hab. He'd have had more points if he wasn't glued to Bouillon too. Vancouver has a crazy deep defense when healthy.
3 organizations thought otherwise. And you still think that this guy is just as good as people made him out to be in Montreal?

He's soft. GMs don't like soft GMs on their D... or not too many of them... well, no. They live with that. They live with that when the guy is actually able to handle the puck without coughing up with it too many times, and when he's able to actually put on some points here and there, or at least provide a solid offensive game.

Diaz did neither. He'll go back to Switzerland once and for all next summer, and people will finally stop talking about this waste of a roster spot.

Son Oncle Jerry is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 02:41 PM
  #56
overlords
youmyboyblou!
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Planet Squanch
Posts: 26,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Yes, we're much better with Murray, Emelin, and Weaver. Emelin has more upside, i can live with that. Same with Beaulieu and Tinordi. But Murray and Weaver?

Diaz almost never got scored on as a Hab. He'd have had more points if he wasn't glued to Bouillon too. Vancouver has a crazy deep defense when healthy.
Fact remains that Gorges-Diaz was our most effective second pair all season. People can hate on diaz all they like, but if so, they gotta hate on everyone else not named subban, markov and gorges way more.

overlords is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 02:43 PM
  #57
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,681
vCash: 500
His playoff performance was making me sick to my stomach. He's not cut for this league.

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 02:44 PM
  #58
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I assume Diaz will cost in the 3-3.5 mil range, in which case the only way he is staying is if A-Markov is not signed or B-Gorges is traded. I think both of those are unlikely.

Depending on where the team is around the deadline I could see him being moved.
3 to 3.5 million? Lol - correct again!

gusfring is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 02:59 PM
  #59
Alexdaman
Wolfman
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hell/Heaven
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,090
vCash: 50
I say sign him for 5 years 2.5M$ per

do I need to put the smiley?

Alexdaman is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 03:00 PM
  #60
25get
Registered User
 
25get's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,947
vCash: 500
This season, he has nearly a thousand minutes TOI.

Can play on PK and PP.
Career average of 26 points per season.
He was on a pace of 49 points last season so he can certainly get 30+ points.

Does not cause trouble in the team.

He may not be a top-4 but he costs 1.2M.

25get is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 03:12 PM
  #61
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
This season, he has nearly a thousand minutes TOI.

Can play on PK and PP.
Career average of 26 points per season.
He was on a pace of 49 points last season so he can certainly get 30+ points.

Does not cause trouble in the team.

He may not be a top-4 but he costs 1.2M.
Not next year.

+ No shot + no grit

habitue* is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 03:32 PM
  #62
Bob Cole
Tom ******* Brady
 
Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,702
vCash: 50
Offer him a two way contract if he cant find a place this off season. The guys sucks and is disgustingly soft, but he can fill a role for a small stretches.

Bob Cole is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 03:35 PM
  #63
Alexdaman
Wolfman
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hell/Heaven
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,090
vCash: 50
People may not see it yet, buy hes the next markov!

Alexdaman is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 03:42 PM
  #64
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
People may not see it yet, buy hes the next markov!
Better defensively, we can't score against him.

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 03:56 PM
  #65
Et le But
Registered User
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Fact remains that Gorges-Diaz was our most effective second pair all season. People can hate on diaz all they like, but if so, they gotta hate on everyone else not named subban, markov and gorges way more.
Expecting consistency here might be asking for too much. Remember that the same people who say we need to play Murray and Parros and that Prust is the team MVP also want to bench Eller for his offensive output, despite being the most physical top 9 player on the team after Gallagher.

Diaz is very average, but that's not as bad as some other options in this league.

Et le But is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 04:01 PM
  #66
Brainiac
Registered User
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Fact remains that Gorges-Diaz was our most effective second pair all season. People can hate on diaz all they like, but if so, they gotta hate on everyone else not named subban, markov and gorges way more.
Agreed, I also think he's underrated somehow. Not your prototypical NHL dman, but the numbers don't lie, he was effective at getting the puck out of the zone.

Anyway.

Brainiac is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 04:12 PM
  #67
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
3 organizations thought otherwise. And you still think that this guy is just as good as people made him out to be in Montreal?

He's soft. GMs don't like soft GMs on their D... or not too many of them... well, no. They live with that. They live with that when the guy is actually able to handle the puck without coughing up with it too many times, and when he's able to actually put on some points here and there, or at least provide a solid offensive game.

Diaz did neither. He'll go back to Switzerland once and for all next summer, and people will finally stop talking about this waste of a roster spot.
Diaz couldn't handle the puck without coughing it up? What games did you watch? Yeah, he didn't play physical but teams didn't score against him at ES nor PK, isn't that the point of hockey?

Three organizations? The Rangers haven't made their intentions clear yet. Vancouver started getting guys back which they have a good defense. Weber is a better forward and cheaper, hence why he stayed.

He'll only go back to Switzerland if he wants too. He'll be offered one way contracts in the NHL.

Natey is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 04:18 PM
  #68
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,156
vCash: 500
How come we are still talking about this guy on this board ?

he was not even dressed for his first two games in NR, and played about 6 minutes per game in his last two games in Vancouver.

habitue* is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 04:20 PM
  #69
Alexdaman
Wolfman
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hell/Heaven
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,090
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habstraction View Post
How come we are still talking about this guy on this board ?

he was not even dressed for his first two games in NR, and played about 6 minutes per game in his last two games in Vancouver.
Why shouldn't we? Gorges-Diaz is our most effective pairing thus far this season

Alexdaman is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 04:22 PM
  #70
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice
 
Habs Icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 7,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Fact remains that Gorges-Diaz was our most effective second pair all season. People can hate on diaz all they like, but if so, they gotta hate on everyone else not named subban, markov and gorges way more.
You know people are scraping the bottom of the excuses barrel when they can't judge a a player on his own merits. They have to pair him with someone else. Maybe, just maybe, Gorges was the reason that combo was so effective. Either that or the Vancouver management & coaching staff are as dumb as MB was purported to be.

Diaz will be playing in the Swiss league next year.

Habs Icing is online now  
Old
03-08-2014, 04:23 PM
  #71
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Why shouldn't we? Gorges-Diaz is our most effective pairing thus far this season
What can I do. Keep living in the past.

habitue* is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 04:32 PM
  #72
Odelein24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Why shouldn't we? Gorges-Diaz is our most effective pairing thus far this season
I might be mistaken but I believe there was much QQing about how soft that pairing was.

Odelein24 is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 04:33 PM
  #73
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 28,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
You know people are scraping the bottom of the excuses barrel when they can't judge a a player on his own merits.
Presumably you're one of those who prefers to throw out literally every performance metric before making that judgement of "merit". It amuses me to see people on this site struggle to look past the stats to see what Murray brings to the team, but who are then more than happy to completely look past the stats when it comes to what Diaz brought to the team, lol. Both guys combined equal ~half of Emelin's salary, but the hate will obvious persist because both are/were "supposed to" be "more"...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 04:38 PM
  #74
overlords
youmyboyblou!
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Planet Squanch
Posts: 26,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
You know people are scraping the bottom of the excuses barrel when they can't judge a a player on his own merits. They have to pair him with someone else. Maybe, just maybe, Gorges was the reason that combo was so effective. Either that or the Vancouver management & coaching staff are as dumb as MB was purported to be.

Diaz will be playing in the Swiss league next year.
You honestly think that with the ridiculously tough usage that 2nd pairing was getting that one (admittedly good) defenseman could hold it all down by himself? If so, Gorges, in your mind, should be a god damn norris candidate.

Your theory is simply put, absurd. You let your own perceptions and assumptions take precedence over logic and rationality. You can say it's, scraping the bottom of the barrel all you like, but your argument is the equivalent of turning that empty barrel over onto your own head like an infant who still can't quite figure out how to eat his cheerios.

overlords is offline  
Old
03-08-2014, 05:48 PM
  #75
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice
 
Habs Icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 7,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Presumably you're one of those who prefers to throw out literally every performance metric before making that judgement of "merit". It amuses me to see people on this site struggle to look past the stats to see what Murray brings to the team, but who are then more than happy to completely look past the stats when it comes to what Diaz brought to the team, lol. Both guys combined equal ~half of Emelin's salary, but the hate will obvious persist because both are/were "supposed to" be "more"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You honestly think that with the ridiculously tough usage that 2nd pairing was getting that one (admittedly good) defenseman could hold it all down by himself? If so, Gorges, in your mind, should be a god damn norris candidate.

Your theory is simply put, absurd. You let your own perceptions and assumptions take precedence over logic and rationality. You can say it's, scraping the bottom of the barrel all you like, but your argument is the equivalent of turning that empty barrel over onto your own head like an infant who still can't quite figure out how to eat his cheerios.

MB unloaded him for a 4th liner and Vancouver - a defensively challenged team - moved him on for a 5th round pick. And he has yet to crack that powerful, powerful Ranger defence corps. All within less than a month and a half.

Tell me again who is letting personal perceptions & assumptions take precedence. Then again you may know more than the management staff of two - and now going on three - NHL teams.

As for your comment about one player leeching off another: I guess you weren't born yet or not a hockey fan during the Komisarek- Markov era.


Last edited by Habs Icing: 03-08-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Habs Icing is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.