HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raphael Diaz

View Poll Results: What should we do with Raph Diaz?
Signed him long term (4+ years) 5 5.81%
Signed him short term (1-3 years) 39 45.35%
Let him leave at the end of this season 42 48.84%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
So what happened between then and now? Are you implying a concussion deteriorated his skills?
Wouldn't be the first time a player regresses after experiencing a concussion. Gorges and Diaz at the start of the year were getting the job done when Emelin was missing but people think he's bad because he's not physical the same way people think Murray is crap because of his advanced stats numbers. They both have a specific roles and depending on the team's need, they can fill it.

Old
03-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
How can it possible that Diaz was more useful to the Habs when he wasn't even being dressed to play.
But...it's not even worth debating.

Diaz was more useful when this team was decimated with injuries on the blueline and Tinordi needed a bit more time...but hard to argue that he was more needed his last month with the big club sitting in the stands. In his last game Weise equalled Diaz's goal input with the Habs the last two seasons...an undersized dman that was supposed to give Mtl some offence on the power play.

Not hard to see why he's a fringe NHL defenceman at this point in his career. Once NHL teams scouted him enough to realize that he can't and won't shoot.

BG is correct in saying he was useful however...for the most part he was fairly steady until the last couple of months..unfortunately he brings no special dimension to his game beside shot blocking.

Old
03-17-2014, 05:28 PM
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.

vCash: 300
People tend to overrate middling d-men and, incidentally, underrate bottom line wingers. Diaz for Weise as a fine trade and Diaz wasn't and isn't anything special. He had some good games and a string of fine performances last season but he's not the next Streit by a longshot.

We wouldn't have retained Diaz most likely - and by the looks of it he's just as 'bad' as Weaver or Bouillon, so why carry even MORE bottoming d-men? My biggest complaint about this team is it's surplus of mediocre depth - Diaz is a prime example of such a phenomenon. That said, Weaver is definitely not special either.

As for Weise, he's a 3rd or 4th line checker and he's young-ish and plays a safe game. What's wrong there?

Old
03-17-2014, 05:32 PM
JLP
Refugee

We won the trade

Old
03-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Adriatic

I know he's only a depth player, but I love the dimension Weise can bring on the 4th line. Big safe forward that can really skate and finish his checks with decent hands. Great trade in my books!

Old
03-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Pax Macioretty

Hope to see Weise drop em soon, he's not that bad a fighter, but thought he would come in to help Prust a little bit more often.

Old
03-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Lol wow.... people think Weaver and bouillon are better???
Well, Bouillon's name comes first. I mean if you threw them together you wouldn't be able to distinguish between them which is the crappiest and which is the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Hope to see Weise drop em soon, he's not that bad a fighter, but thought he would come in to help Prust a little bit more often.
Weise only fights if he has to. He's not like Prust where he seems to like fighting.

Old
03-17-2014, 05:52 PM
Scuba-Steve

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
He's a bad fighter. Not Tom Kostopoulos bad, but still bad.

Old
03-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
How can it possible that Diaz was more useful to the Habs when he wasn't even being dressed to play.
How is it possible to claim familiarity with this team and suggest that Diaz was kept out of the lineup due to his level of play? Even someone looking back at it from years in the future should consider it conspicuous that he was kept out right before the Olympic break/trade deadline in the last year of his contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
an undersized dman that was supposed to give Mtl some offence on the power play.
Of course, after the PK/Markov pairing comes off the ice, who was he left working with for a partner this year? Bouillon. The same guy who manages to significantly and negatively impact Subban's offensive numbers. 'Nuff said.

Old
03-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
he was kept out right before the Olympic break/trade deadline in the last year of his contract.
Yes, of course! That is most definitely the reason Vancouver dumped him as soon as possible and most definitely is the reason the Rangers are keeping him in the press box. It's the last year of his contract. Jeeze, how can we not see that?

So let me ask you, why are they not keeping Markov or Gionta out of the lineup? They are in the last year of their contracts.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Yes, of course! That is most definitely the reason Vancouver dumped him as soon as possible and most definitely is the reason the Rangers are keeping him in the press box. It's the last year of his contract. Jeeze, how can we not see that?

So let me ask you, why are they not keeping Markov or Gionta out of the lineup? They are in the last year of their contracts.
I'm sure you have a better explanation for why Vancouver traded for him, played him well over 20 minutes for the first 3 games in a Canucks uniform (1 goal, 1 assist), then apparently made a full 180 on their assessment of him based on even less play after coming back from the Olympics. I hear Vancouver is run super-de-dooper well these days.

Also, I'm not sure how many games you catch when the Habs aren't involved, but the Rangers are decently deep (if "overall" underwhelming) on defense (a defense corps which ranks similarly highly to us in terms of GA and PK%, btw, and has new addition Kevin Klein playing a 15 min/night 3rd pairing role), and Diaz is the same #6/7 type guy now that he could/should have been with us (along with Murray, obviously, as the other #6/7) - especially if his replacement is going to be let go for nothing in the end anyway (for which we can only hope).

Old
03-17-2014, 09:58 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I

....and Diaz is the same #6/7 type guy now that he could/should have been with us....
Ah so you're calling him a #6/7 d-man. I was confused by all the weeping and gnashing of teeth.

I don't remember if you were part of the crowd claiming he was a top 4 d-man. But it's good to see that we're pretty close on our evaluations of Mr. Diaz.

Old
03-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Pax Macioretty

Whatever happens to Diaz post Montreal era is all on him. Nothing frustrated me more than watching him play on the power-play. He litteraly could not pass in a lane that would give his partners a clear fast release, especially to Subban.

Old
03-17-2014, 11:35 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Ah so you're calling him a #6/7 d-man. I was confused by all the weeping and gnashing of teeth.

I don't remember if you were part of the crowd claiming he was a top 4 d-man. But it's good to see that we're pretty close on our evaluations of Mr. Diaz.
Never. He was played like one, though, and had decent numbers to show for it.

Old
03-18-2014, 01:12 AM
DumFries

Diaz gave some solid minutes for the Habs but he wasn't made for the NHL. These types of D are easy to find. Diaz wouldn't hit, he was awful defensively most of the time but filled a void. Weber and Diaz were almost the same type of players and you don't win games with Diaz and Weber. It was clear to me these players wouldn't last long in Montreal and the NHL for that matter. I am happy to see that the Habs at least got something in return for Diaz. Dale Weise gives the Habs more depth on the fourth line.

Old
03-18-2014, 07:04 AM
capebretoncanadien

Still think it was a mistake to trade him.

Old
03-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Well, Bouillon's name comes first. I mean if you threw them together you wouldn't be able to distinguish between them which is the crappiest and which is the best.

Weise only fights if he has to. He's not like Prust where he seems to like fighting.
And they just recently removed the stiches on his nasty nadty cut he had on the lip... dont expect him to fight for at least 2 weeks lol. Unless he is crazy.

Old
03-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
Still think it was a mistake to trade him.
How can it be a mistake when you most likely could get it in the waivers next season. At least weise brings a bit of size, speed and forcheck. Wich isnt bad for the playoffs.

Closed Thread