HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Scott Suspended 7 Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2013, 05:18 PM
  #1
Culture of Hockey
Classless Fanboy
 
Culture of Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Between ET & CT
Country: United States
Posts: 8,548
vCash: 500
John Scott Suspended 7 Games

As to not overwhelm the Eriksson injury thread, I suppose this is as good a place as any to discuss the John Scott hearing with the NHL's Player Safety folks.


John Shannon

Quote:
John Scott's hearing is 10am, next Thursday...same day that Sabres are at MSG vs Rangers.
Ok. Go.

Culture of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 05:28 PM
  #2
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
The O'Reilly Rule
 
Mike Yeos Eyebrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fall River
Country: United States
Posts: 18,027
vCash: 500
Scott will miss 3 games before his actual suspension in determined.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 05:51 PM
  #3
Mr. Make-Believe
Moderator
Pass me another nail
 
Mr. Make-Believe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Erotic Fantasies
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,874
vCash: 500
...

Well it's a good thing they're not taking their sweet ass time with it.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 05:53 PM
  #4
KnightofBoston
Mnt. Carlo
 
KnightofBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Easthampton, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 13,945
vCash: 500
10 games is my guess, i know he doesnt have a history but JJ might pull some strings and the league will make an example of him

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 06:07 PM
  #5
wetcamelfood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
POS. Throw the book at him

wetcamelfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 06:14 PM
  #6
Sheppy
Registered User
 
Sheppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Yellowknife, NWT
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,418
vCash: 500
I hope he's not suspended through his game against the Leafs next month. I'm sure McLaren and Orr are drooling for that one. Hell, even i have had that marked on my calendar.

Honestly though, i think with the 3 he's getting 7 more would be fine. 10 games max, i think people are KIND OF overrating a bit.

Sheppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 06:57 PM
  #7
Colt.45Orr
Registered User
 
Colt.45Orr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,327
vCash: 500
Scott needs to be back in time for the Leafs Vs. Sabres back-to-back games so he can (hopefully) catch a KO punch from one of the two.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 07:34 PM
  #8
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 25,539
vCash: 500
What's the rush?

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 07:49 PM
  #9
duckchobbins
Registered User
 
duckchobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 24,944
vCash: 500
I'm guessing 5.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 07:57 PM
  #10
missingchicklet
Registered User
 
missingchicklet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,490
vCash: 500
Pretty stupid to wait that long for a hearing, but I guess there is protocol they have to follow. At least this gives buf a better chance of maybe winning a game over the next week. Crazy how that organization has become such pure trash.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:14 PM
  #11
TCL40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20,527
vCash: 500
Well I think everyone figures three missed games is less than he'll get and he sounds like he wants the in person.

I think it will most likely be 5 because he isn't a repeat offender but I can also see Shanahan making an example of him-but I don't think he gets 10.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:48 PM
  #12
Orrthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
It is a good thing it is taking that long, they may be worried about an appeal. The more games missed before the appeals the better just in case Scott wins.

Orrthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 10:15 PM
  #13
doubleminor138
Call me Snake
 
doubleminor138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 14,639
vCash: 500
Public beheading.

__________________
Terry Tomasi / Backin72

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 11:10 PM
  #14
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer
 
Bruinswillwin77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hooksett, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 6,777
vCash: 571
"John Scott suspended for the entire regular season."



Example #A?

Bruinswillwin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 06:45 AM
  #15
flannelman
merde!
 
flannelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,695
vCash: 195
to borrow from Mick Foley

the NHL lacks the testicular fortitude to make a real example out of anyone. while they need to make this move, they won't. i don't believe he'll garner anything more than 5 games - he doesn't have much of a suspension history.

flannelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 06:50 AM
  #16
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
the NHL lacks the testicular fortitude to make a real example out of anyone. while they need to make this move, they won't. i don't believe he'll garner anything more than 5 games - he doesn't have much of a suspension history.
and that`s where the opportunity lies to make a statement about taking this issue of head shots/hits from behind seriously. Handing a repeat offender a significant punishment is easy, by starting to hand out an equally significant punishment to those first time offenders sends the message that "there are no freebies", the first one isn`t "on the house" so to speak with a weak arse suspension

Based on their track record, I suspect 5 and not a game more

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 06:57 AM
  #17
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 14,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
and that`s where the opportunity lies to make a statement about taking this issue of head shots/hits from behind seriously. Handing a repeat offender a significant punishment is easy, by starting to hand out an equally significant punishment to those first time offenders sends the message that "there are no freebies", the first one isn`t "on the house" so to speak with a weak arse suspension

Based on their track record, I suspect 5 and not a game more
Wait til you hear the reasoning.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:25 AM
  #18
KnightofBoston
Mnt. Carlo
 
KnightofBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Easthampton, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 13,945
vCash: 500
Thing is, the department of player safety could argue intent to injure here;

Came off bench and charged over to eriksson
Targeted head
Blind side
Down in game
4th line player that plays 2-3 minutes, clearly wasnt on ice to score goal

They could really slam him for that if they wanna go that route

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:27 AM
  #19
TCL40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20,527
vCash: 500
I think the one thing that hurts Scott is the fact that he is a plug.

I don't think these hits will be taken out entirely until a suspension causes real pain to the teams themselves.

Scott being out isn't going to hurt Buffalo at all-shoot they just won their second game without him or Kaleta in the line up.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:31 AM
  #20
TCL40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Thing is, the department of player safety could argue intent to injure here;

Came off bench and charged over to eriksson
Targeted head
Blind side
Down in game
4th line player that plays 2-3 minutes, clearly wasnt on ice to score goal

They could really slam him for that if they wanna go that route
Some of this is on the coach as well.

Scott had no business being on the ice against that line. I am not certain though his intent was to injure I think his intent was to make a big hit and he wanted to promote something. He was trying to provoke something the whole game-and that might also come into play.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:35 AM
  #21
KnightofBoston
Mnt. Carlo
 
KnightofBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Easthampton, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 13,945
vCash: 500
Its more on the coach imo

But dont kid yourself, scott knew what he was doing. Targeted the head and followed through with an elbow

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:07 AM
  #22
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stratford, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,959
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
This won't be popular, but here it goes

The NHL and NHLPA have to take the word "intent" out of it. It's hard (or next to impossible) to prove intent.

I'm all for the OHL rule - ANY contact to the head, whether intentional or not, where the head is the principle point of contact is subject to an automatic suspension regardless of past history.

People here argue that Branch has made the game soft. Hitting is up, fighting is down less than .4 fights per game and concussions are down "categorically". And the hits that do happen are hard, legal hockey hits, with little to no retribution (in terms of a fight) for the player that made contact.

I sit in an OHL rink almost every day, I see all 20 teams, This is across the board and I will say without a doubt, it's the best hockey in the last 2 years as there has ever been.

It's no surprise that concussions and suspensions are up in the NHL while going in the opposite direction in the OHL. And the latter is a more exciting game to watch.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:09 AM
  #23
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Gobias Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,595
vCash: 500
I hope they're taking their time to craft a statement around the upcoming overhaul of player suspensions, and then they give him twenty games.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:11 AM
  #24
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom - OHL View Post
The NHL and NHLPA have to take the word "intent" out of it. It's hard (or next to impossible) to prove intent.

I'm all for the OHL rule - ANY contact to the head, whether intentional or not, where the head is the principle point of contact is subject to an automatic suspension regardless of past history.

People here argue that Branch has made the game soft. Hitting is up, fighting is down less than .4 fights per game and concussions are down "categorically". And the hits that do happen are hard, legal hockey hits, with little to no retribution (in terms of a fight) for the player that made contact.

I sit in an OHL rink almost every day, I see all 20 teams, This is across the board and I will say without a doubt, it's the best hockey in the last 2 years as there has ever been.

It's no surprise that concussions and suspensions are up in the NHL while going in the opposite direction in the OHL. And the latter is a more exciting game to watch.
Indeed it is more exciting.

and great pts all around, thx for the stats Dom

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:03 AM
  #25
ReggieMoto
Registered User
 
ReggieMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 4,731
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Well it's a good thing they're not taking their sweet ass time with it.
At least he's missing games until they arrive at a decision, so it's not like nothing is happening.

I am going to interpret this as a good sign, though. I'm going to conclude that Shanaban is taking this behavior very seriously, and is going to work with the league to help determine whether he (Shanaban) should take into account the coach's behavior, too. The problem with Scott is he's not a repeat offender. He's just a big, stupid goon. The coach, on the other hand, seems to also be stupid, and with respect to his use of Scott on the ice, he is now a repeat offender. He already was fined for his use of Scott in the Kessel episode and I'm thinking this is going to be factored in to whatever decision they ultimately come down with.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.