Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Ducks toughness thread

Old
09-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Dirk316

vCash: 500
2013-2014 Ducks toughness thread

This year on paper will be the softest by far in franchise history please prove otherwise. IMO the gm and coach are on the hotseat

Staubitz- Will be lucky to play more than 5-10 games all season the coach does not like to play enforcers. Soild middle-light heavy
would get killed by a true heavyweight

Maroon- light heavy/middle a little worse than Staubitz as a fighter but a player who can play on any of the top lines and a big presence on the power play. Will not play due to the coach preferring useless Penner or small/skill guys on the 4th line

Beleskey- Will serve as the enforcer again most of the season 6ft 180lbs of him

Allen- Horrible fighter but will step up when needed

Sourray - Injured

Beauch- Much like last season he is too worn down and shouldnt be fighting nor does he even show aggression

Getz/Perry Rare fight here and there

Fistric- Soft and not a fighter regardless

Coach/gm
Murray always talks about getting tougher etc trades all tough players away, drafts small, sign soft free agents

boudreau- known as one of the softest coaches in the league hate when his players fight hate to retaliate to cheap shots. He sucks overall as a coach because he fails in the playoffs

thats pretty much it, interested to see what everyone else feels

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 07:46 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Here we go again.

I'm gonna start Sbisa sucks, Vatanen is awesome, and Trade Hiller threads now.

EDIT: Forgot Youth Movement 13-14

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:03 PM
mighty all the way

vCash: 920
Not again...

We have a power forward line for our first line.

We have Staubitz, Beleskey and Maroon who will fight anyone.

We have Allen, Souray, and Beauchimen who will hit and fight.

We aren't soft and we aren't the toughest. I think we have a very very good mix

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:03 PM
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards

Not impressed with the job Murray did to address the toughness. It was an issue last season, and we got even softer. Good job Murray

Get ready for Beleskey to get his brain bashed in the second week of the season

AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:07 PM
wesott11

Toughness is not the most important part of the game. I'm happy with players that can hold their own and drop the gloves when needed. As much as I have always preferred toughness and enforcing following this team, hell, even playing... I prefer this type of team.

wesott11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:12 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesott11 View Post
Toughness is not the most important part of the game. I'm happy with players that can hold their own and drop the gloves when needed. As much as I have always preferred toughness and enforcing following this team, hell, even playing... I prefer this type of team.
I wonder when people will realize this. The NHL has changed. The role of the enforcer is all but dead. Scorers are now encouraged to throw hits around whenever possible. Something our forwards are fully capable of doing.

The real issue on this team is the blueline is not as strong as it needs to be. Not as weak as others suggest (I've seen some posts as crazy as "We're playing our way to the lottery with that blueline), but it needs some upgrades. The issue is absolutely NOT that this team doesn't hit or start fights enough.

Old
09-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Gibson Les Palms
ImperiumDuckusSacrum

vCash: 50
I love physical hockey, and I'm all for fighting when appropriate. However, we didn't lose that series due to a lack of toughness imo (although it would've been a problem against the Kings or Sharks).

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:15 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
You already said it. Murray likes toughness in name only. He likes having a tough guy "on the roster" but he never signs a high enough caliber guy who will actually get ice time to make a difference.

The thread is kind of an exercise in futility. If toughness is important to you, then you're stuck until the GM gets replaced. There isn't much to talk about until then.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Papaspud
Vatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
Not again...

The first line should not be fighting ...ever! Why would we want them to break a knuckle, and be out for any amount of time, when we have players on the roster that can fill that role far better.

Allen is a gamer...but not really a good fighter.

Souray won't be available for another 7 months.

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:30 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
I love physical hockey, and I'm all for fighting when appropriate. However, we didn't lose that series due to a lack of toughness imo (although it would've been a problem against the Kings or Sharks).
Well....in the grand scheme of thing no...but the OT goal where our blueliners sat around not clearing the crease...that was a lack of toughness on that particular play. But assuming that they did in fact clear the screens there could've been any number of ways for Detroit to win that game 6 anyway. The main reason we lost that game anyway...and eventually the series was because we didn't play well enough in the OT period to win. Detroit was spending too much time in our zone...there's another one. Puck possession has to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
You already said it. Murray likes toughness in name only. He likes having a tough guy "on the roster" but he never signs a high enough caliber guy who will actually get ice time to make a difference.

The thread is kind of an exercise in futility. If toughness is important to you, then you're stuck until the GM gets replaced. There isn't much to talk about until then.
It wouldn't be if the thread was titled "Dirk and a couple others ***** and moan about 'softness' ". That's basically all it was last year.

Last edited by DuckJet: 09-16-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old
09-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Paul4587

I agree we lack toughness up front. And I think while it's not the most important thing - it is essential to have a fair bit of sandpaper in the lineup if you want to win. Besides Detroit how many finalists since we won the cup have lacked toughness? Boston making the finals 2 out of the past 3 years and LA winning in '12 seem to point towards toughness playing a very important part in winning.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
Not again...

Half the players you mentioned are either injured or will not play

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:52 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Etem will become our enforcer

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:52 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

If only Murray would read this thread and finally accept your brilliant words of wisdom

fire the guy.

Old
09-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Well....in the grand scheme of thing no...but the OT goal where our blueliners sat around not clearing the crease...that was a lack of toughness on that particular play. But assuming that they did in fact clear the screens there could've been any number of ways for Detroit to win that game 6 anyway. The main reason we lost that game anyway...and eventually the series was because we didn't play well enough in the OT period to win. Detroit was spending too much time in our zone...there's another one. Puck possession has to improve.

It wouldn't be if the thread was titled "Dirk and a couple others ***** and moan about 'softness' ". That's basically all it was last year.
And 20 others ***** about Dirk. So don't feel left out, you're just as pointless.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:58 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

All discussion at the end of the day is pointless is not? Dirk though, on the other hand is the kind of guy that will come in after a win and kill good vibes by complaining about a Duck shying away from a fight, or refusing to get chippy. It's annoying, and this and last year's thread is more pointless than most.

I don't get why the "toughness" crowd doesn't just stick to the boxing and the UFC if they're so desperate for fights and heavyweights.

Old
09-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

The team needs team toughness. Whether Murrat meant he'd get someone new vs telling the players to man up as a team is up for debate though.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
All discussion at the end of the day is pointless is not? Dirk though, on the other hand is the kind of guy that will come in after a win and kill good vibes by complaining about a Duck shying away from a fight, or refusing to get chippy. It's annoying, and this and last year's thread is more pointless than most.

I don't get why the "toughness" crowd doesn't just stick to the boxing and the UFC if they're so desperate for fights and heavyweights.
So, all discussion is pointless, but this one is like...you know...really pointless.

Also, I wish the "anti-toughness" crowd would just stick to wedding planning reality shows and ice dancing if they're so desperate to avoid conflict. See what I did there?

For someone complaining about pointlessness, you've asserted the two dumbest things in the thread: one a vapid rationalization and the other, one of the most trite message board cliches. You're good at this.

Old
09-16-2013, 10:15 PM
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards

Quote:

[MOD]

Is it really so hard to understand that fighting sets a tone to a game? It gets the whole team fired up, and is a way to deter the other team from cheapshotting our players. Ask Teemu Selanne, and any other superstar skill player, the majority of them think fighting is an important part of the sport.

[MOD] Selanne has actually been through the rigors of many NHL games, and knows that the other team will get out of control if you don't have fighters to play with a mean streak and deter the cheap hits/stick infractions.

Last edited by SnS: 09-16-2013 at 10:34 PM.
AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:18 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

I never said it shouldn't happen. I love fights and I'm 100% an advocate for it's continued use in the NHL. Do I believe it's the most important thing about winning hockey games? no freaking way. I'll take scoring ability, team chemistry, good systems, strong special teams play, and solid goaltending and incorporate it into my practice strategy before I give thought to the need for toughness.

I understand why toughness is important. What I don't understand is this over-exaggerated desperation for it to be the focal point of the team's identity. Should we be tougher? Yes. A tougher team is never a bad thing. Will being softer than Dirk's liking be the reason we don't do well? Absolutely not.

Old
09-16-2013, 10:24 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
I never said it shouldn't happen. I love fights and I'm 100% an advocate for it's continued use in the NHL. Do I believe it's the most important thing about winning hockey games? no freaking way. I'll take scoring ability, team chemistry, good systems, strong special teams play, and solid goaltending and incorporate it into my practice strategy before I give thought to the need for toughness.
Each element affects the others.

Old
09-16-2013, 10:26 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Each element affects the others.
If you say so. I still don't see why it's so central.

But I guess you guys are right. We're too soft. To the lottery we go. Last year was a fluke and Murray is an idiot.

Old
09-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
If you say so. I still don't see why it's so central.
They're all central.

Quote:
But I guess you guys are right. We're too soft. To the lottery we go. Last year was a fluke and Murray is an idiot.
And you were doing so well. If you really can't discuss this straight, take your little crybaby strawman home and tell it how stupid the people who disagree with you are.

Old
09-16-2013, 10:36 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

I'm just messing around. I'm not taking this discussion seriously because I don't really think any of it really matters. I'll just stay out of it this year. I don't expect the narrative to change much. I believe what I believe, you, Dirk and a few others believe what they believe. Let's leave it at that. There's enough bickering around here as it is.

EDIT: Forgot the sarcasm smiley...you don't have to take that post seriously. You can if you want though. Who cares? Go ducks!

Last edited by DuckJet: 09-16-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old
09-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Hockey Duckie

Ahhh... I feel bad about this thread. It's almost like having a thread wanting to draft Russians by large again. It just isn't going to happen. Fighters won't be needed with BB as he wants to roll four lines.

But we do have some grit on the Penner-Getz-Perry line. Heck, our third line (conehead to me) is a very sand paper type line as well. In that respect, I'm happy with that. I'm also happy with the supposedly 200 foot game the coaches want from our prospects. Maybe that will make up for not having fighters.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote