HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Opens for Business Saturday

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2005, 09:31 AM
crossxcheck

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
NHL Opens for Business Saturday

It's really going to be interesting to see what Poile does. I'd expect they've already been talking with most of our unsigned guys. Very likely they've already agreed on deals.

Now, my question is what free agent(s) would you think Poile might sign? We very obviously need a center and a good stay-at-home d-man sure would be nice, too.

I'd love to see us sign Adam Foote, although highly unlikely. I also remember you guys talking about taking a chance on Jason Allison if the price is right.

Anyway, I open the floor...

Old
07-21-2005, 09:32 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1006
I read somewhere that 8pm friday--EST that the fun begins

Old
07-21-2005, 09:49 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
I read somewhere that 8pm friday--EST that the fun begins
maybe it does. regardless, it's going to be a wild weekend.

Old
07-21-2005, 09:59 AM
vopatsrash

Some of the factors will be...

1) Who is bought out?
2) What will the market be set at for various tiers of players?
3) What does it cost to take care of the RFA's and Johnson/McKenzie? (assuming Poile is going to start with them as he's stated.)
4) At that point, how far up is Leipold willing to go? Or how far do they have to go if they are under the floor?
5) Is the player an upgrade over something we already have? especially in regards to a d-man.
6) Will the UFA's take the big picture view of seeing Nashville as a promising place to go because they are a young, up and coming team? Or will they take the narrow view and not come here because they don't feel like nashville is a good hockey market?

I could see Poile making a run at some of his ex-washington guys if any are available and still decent. I have no idea off the top of my head who would be available, but that might be an easy route for poile if he has good relations with any of those guys.

I expect non-sexy in who we sign. The Preds are generally pretty conservative and calculating, so I'd be shocked if they make a big UFA splash when they feel rushed. I expect a slightly rich-man's Bombardir as d-man and a slightly rich man's Zholtok as a center over a foote or allison.

I predict we'll see them say "Legwand's not 19 any more and he's our number one center and we expect him to elevate his game to that level this season" at the press conference of their signing of a number 2.5-3-ish center. Then if Legwand comes out with 38 points this season or gets hurt and plays 47 games, we'll see the bigger center splash during the next offseason.

Old
07-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
There are two UFA's I want to see here in Nashville, D Mike Rathje and C Pavol Demitra.

Rathje is a big (6'6", 235 lbs) defenseman who will solidify our blueline and move those pesky people (Holmstrom, et al) from the front of the net. Rathje can play 20:00+ minutes per night and is a poor man's Adam Foote. Mike has played his entire career in the San Jose organization and knows the philosophy of building from within.

Demitra can play both center and wing and would be a great addition between Sullivan and Walker. Pavol has quietly been in the thick of things at the top of the scoring list over the past few years in St. Louis. Many St. Louis fans I have talked to are disappointed that the Blues let Demitra go and insist he will be a great addition wherever he lands, why not Nashville?

Anyhow, just my two cents...I know I'm excited to see where the ping-pong balls land Friday to get things started.

Old
07-21-2005, 01:43 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Rathje is at the top of my list, even over Foote...but unfortunately, I think he's at the top of a lot of teams' lists. If it comes to a bidding war, I don't see us winning that one.

Old
07-21-2005, 02:47 PM
KRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
I'd expect they've already been talking with most of our unsigned guys. Very likely they've already agreed on deals.
my nephew plays in the ahl and is a restricted free agent and he said they aren't allowed to talk at all between the agents and general managers. so no talking has been done, they can hopefully start tomorrow.

Old
07-21-2005, 02:51 PM
crossxcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRF
my nephew plays in the ahl and is a restricted free agent and he said they aren't allowed to talk at all between the agents and general managers. so no talking has been done, they can hopefully start tomorrow.
thanks for the info!

Old
07-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
I'd take a chance on Allison, if his price is right...he can be a huge help if healthy, which after 2 years of rest he should be. The question is whether or not he can shake off 2 years of rust.

Old
07-22-2005, 01:24 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4050
Demitra in a Preds uni., now that would certainly be interesting.

Closed Thread