HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New signing rule for Euros: is Tukonen likely gone?

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2005, 03:09 AM
zeppelin97

vCash: 500
New signing rule for Euros: is Tukonen likely gone?

European players must be signed within two years of being drafted, the same as North Americans.

Tukonen looks like a project and I don't think he's going to be ready to be signed by next year. Kings could lose him depending on how the rule is applied to past draftees.

Just wondering but why are NHL teams allowed to sign college players after 4 years (after graduating)? The article says NA prospects must be signed within two years of being drafted. This applys to junior players obviously but why not college players? Is the new CBA going to apply the 2 year signing requirement to drafted college players as well as Euros?

All the CBA details are not out, so you wonder if the kings may be in danger of losing Tambellini and Boyle in the future.

Old
07-21-2005, 04:55 AM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

The original plan was to bring Tukonen over after a year or two in Finland so I don't see any problems getting him signed. The Kings' other European prospects, i.e. Tenkanen, might have a problem getting signed.

I wouldn't bother worrying about losing Tambellini and Boyle. With the two year signing requirement, players would have to sign or re-enter the draft. The NCAA would probably be up in arms if clubs were more or less forced to sign their drafted players before their junior and senior seasons, creating a signicant talent dropoff.

Old
07-21-2005, 07:13 AM
KingsFan7824

Could they lose him? Sure. Anyone could lose anyone. Will they? I doubt it. Unless he just completely can't play, I'm sure they'll find a way to sign their 11th overall pick.

Old
07-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
It takes effect this draft

this is courtesy of HF Editor Holly Gunning
Quote:
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...93064&t=TS_Home

The question everyone had on it was what happens with guys already drafted. I asked and got an answer:

2003 draft class - deadline 2007
2004 draft class - deadline 2008

If teams don't sign them by then, they either go back in the draft or they become FA, depending on their age.

Old
07-21-2005, 03:16 PM
guzmania

One of the Kings strategies has been to draft college players and euros so they could get a longer look before committing cash to the deal. That strategy is kaput.
Even though the players lost certain aspects of the CBA there are these fine points of the agreement which seem to enhance what was originally thought of as complete player capitulation to the tough minded Gary B. Minimum wage more than doubling, free agency changes and the signing of draft picks are just three areas where the players got stuff of significance back.

On another note is there any word on our now non-existent 8th round pick from Nashville? KJ, anyone?

Old
07-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Fat Elvis

So I guess Jan Nemicek is gone huh? Damn, we suck.

Old
07-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
One of the Kings strategies has been to draft college players and euros so they could get a longer look before committing cash to the deal. That strategy is kaput.
Even though the players lost certain aspects of the CBA there are these fine points of the agreement which seem to enhance what was originally thought of as complete player capitulation to the tough minded Gary B. Minimum wage more than doubling, free agency changes and the signing of draft picks are just three areas where the players got stuff of significance back.

It'll change their definition of best player available in the later rounds

Quote:
On another note is there any word on our now non-existent 8th round pick from Nashville? KJ, anyone?
You lost me here

Old
07-21-2005, 04:10 PM
guzmania

I read someplace that last year we traded last (2003) years 8th rounder for their (2004) eighth rounder. That would have given us 2 eighths last year. Now that there are only seven rounds are we SOL?

On the other hand now you have me starting to question my very connection to reality. Testing one, two, one, two...seems to have plenty of bottom end...Leave the gun, take the canolli...The Norweigian Blue...beautiful plummage.

Old
07-21-2005, 04:14 PM
The mitchrock
Hunk of Monkey Love

vCash: 600
If we don't sign Tukonen, why not sign Ellen DeGenerres, nobody will notice the difference.

Old
07-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
I read someplace that last year we traded last (2003) years 8th rounder for their (2004) eighth rounder. That would have given us 2 eighths last year. Now that there are only seven rounds are we SOL?

On the other hand now you have me starting to question my very connection to reality. Testing one, two, one, two...seems to have plenty of bottom end...Leave the gun, take the canolli...The Norweigian Blue...beautiful plummage.
I don't know
Has it been verified that there is only seven rounds? Or is it just a rumor?

Old
07-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I don't know
Has it been verified that there is only seven rounds? Or is it just a rumor?
It's been verified. So we lose 3 picks in the 8th and 9th rounds.

Old
07-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
It's been verified. So we lose 3 picks in the 8th and 9th rounds.
well that sucks

No more Marty Guerins and Noah Clarkes

Old
07-21-2005, 04:35 PM
guzmania

Or Luc Robitailles, I think DT would be on that list too.

Old
07-21-2005, 04:53 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
well that sucks
Yes it does. I guess more players will be given free agent tryouts out of junior.

Old
07-21-2005, 05:10 PM
Captain Ron

Someone on another thread said that we might get the last pick of the 7th round as compensation for losing the traded 8th rounder. Just speculation but I think that seems fair.

Closed Thread