HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assistant Captains?

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 07:21 AM
tors10

vCash: 500
Assistant Captains?

who are they? i know mess is the captain, but are the assistants leetch and lindros like last year?

thanks, tors10

Old
09-28-2003, 07:38 AM
BLACKBURN

I saw Kovalev with an a on his sweater the other night. I am not sure if he will be one in the season, or if Leetch comes back.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:05 AM
Rodent

The term is "alternate captain" not "assistant captain".

"A" sweaters do not provide assistance to the team captain. "A" merely designates to the referee the identity of a player who is authorized to speak on behalf of the team when the "C" player is not on the ice.

If you don't wear a letter, the zebras will ignore you.

Why does this make a difference?

Because it determines how "A" players are chosen.

While it's natural to think of selecting "A" players based upon their ability to lead... the truth is that "A" players are chosen such that at least one lettered sweater is likely to be one the ice at any given time.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:09 AM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent

"A" sweaters do not provide assistance to the team captain. "A" merely designates to the referee the identity of a player who is authorized to speak on behalf of the team when the "C" player is not on the ice.

If you don't wear a letter, the zebras will ignore you.

Why does this make a difference?

Because it determines how "A" players are chosen.

While it's natural to think of selecting "A" players based upon their ability to lead... the truth is that "A" players are chosen such that at least one lettered sweater is likely to be one the ice at any given time.

PS - To keep the game from slowing down, it is not permitted to have the netminder wear a letter. You don't want him skating to center ice and then over to the bench (to explain a ruling to the coach) every time there's a dispute.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:26 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*

Old
09-28-2003, 09:48 AM
BLACKBURN

Give the guy a break. He was asking a simple question, just because he used the wrong term does not give you the excuse to grill him. By the way i believe Lindros was an alternate last year, thus he probably is again this year...Welcome to the boards by the way!

Old
09-28-2003, 10:06 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
Give the guy a break you. He was asking a simple question, just because he used the wrong term does not give you the excuse to grill him. By the way i believe Lindros was an alternate last year, thus he probably is again this year...Welcome to the boards by the way!

And for your information I was mocking Rodent.

Old
09-28-2003, 12:07 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

wouldn't barnaby make a great A? he could talk to refs and make them laugh. you'd think you'd want the best talker, not the best leader in that case and no one talks it up like barnaby on this team. i wish mess just voluntarily give his C away to someone else. like if lindros is becoming an on ice leader, just give it to him. make way mark.

just a thought...

Old
09-28-2003, 12:16 PM
BLACKBURN

Ok fair enough, to me it sounded like you were mocking him, i obv dont understand ur hilarious sense of humour. I just get annoyed when new guys get slated, its meant to be a helpful, friendly community.

Old
09-28-2003, 12:17 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8
wouldn't barnaby make a great A? he could talk to refs and make them laugh. you'd think you'd want the best talker, not the best leader in that case and no one talks it up like barnaby on this team. i wish mess just voluntarily give his C away to someone else. like if lindros is becoming an on ice leader, just give it to him. make way mark.

just a thought...
The C is a lot more important in the locker room.

Old
09-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
Give the guy a break you. He was asking a simple question, just because he used the wrong term does not give you the excuse to grill him. By the way i believe Lindros was an alternate last year, thus he probably is again this year...Welcome to the boards by the way!
Where do you get "grill him"?

I stated facts. I didn't say a single thing uncomplimentary.

Why do you have to try and turn it into something antagonistic?

Old
09-28-2003, 07:57 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
PS - To keep the game from slowing down, it is not permitted to have the netminder wear a letter. You don't want him skating to center ice and then over to the bench (to explain a ruling to the coach) every time there's a dispute.
Goaltenders are not allowed to skate past their blue line (except during TV timeouts). It's my understanding that this is the reason why they are not allowed to wear a letter.

By the way, anyone remember when Roy skated the puck over the blue line and up to center? It was maybe 3-4 years ago and Colorado was getting beaten pretty badly. Roy was so upset that he took a penalty to get the point across to this teammates.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:59 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Goaltenders are not allowed to skate past their blue line (except during TV timeouts). It's my understanding that this is the reason why they are not allowed to wear a letter.

By the way, anyone remember when Roy skated the puck over the blue line and up to center? It was maybe 3-4 years ago and Colorado was getting beaten pretty badly. Roy was so upset that he took a penalty to get the point across to this teammates.
I thought it was because he was trying to score a goal.

Old
09-28-2003, 08:06 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
I thought it was because he was trying to score a goal.
Could have been! However, I suspect that even Roy didn't know what he was thinking.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:02 PM
Barnaby

I have no problem with Mess giving up the "C" but theres noone else I could think of that should have it. Lindros was back to his pathetic self last night... so much for optomism.

By the way... Nedved wore the "A" last season quite a bit if I remember correctly. By A I mean ALTERNATE not Assistant.... some people are so darn anal

Is it me or do the Rangers need a young star? Doesnt have to be Heatley caliber but just someone to pass the torch too and a possible captain. Lundmark is good but I'm not sure hes a top line player... we'll see but he looks more like second line material to me. Can't they make a blockbuster move 1 year and just nab one top flight prospect?

Old
09-29-2003, 12:26 AM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Actually, the ruling is that the goaltender is not allowed to cross the center ice line, not the blue line. Roy actually made a nice spin-o-rama move around Gretzky at the blue line, when his team was down 4-0 or so, in disgust, and actually fired a nice pass to a teammate in the neutral zone before being whistled down for the penalty.

I believe the goaltender can be there, but not with the puck -- or else how does any goalie get pulled in the second period of any game (whether it's the last few seconds or a delayed penalty)?

Old
09-29-2003, 10:25 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Leetchie, you're right about the red line (goaltenders can participate in the play beyond the red line), however, when a goaltender is pulled for an extra skater it is treated the same way as a regular substitution--meaning the goalie has to get within 5 feet of the bench before the skater can replace him.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:42 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
To be fair, an ability to articulate your team's position without letting your emotions get in the way, or carried away, is an important aspect to the title.

As for "who", I would expect Leetch and Lindros, Nedved in the abscence of either.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:57 AM
33teddy33

Send a message via ICQ to 33teddy33 Send a message via AIM to 33teddy33 Send a message via Yahoo to 33teddy33
Give the "C" to Leetch. He has leadership skills, been there long, annual All-Star talent, and I am tired of seeing the old man do it.

"A's" go to Lindros, and Nedved.

Closed Thread