HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. CBJ - Old school back-to-back

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2013, 08:36 PM
  #1
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 38,364
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. CBJ - Old school back-to-back

Plus

+ Fleury: I think him calming us down early won us the game. I love how he's squared to the shooter and I can't recall a lot of times where he's flopping around. He's challenging and keeping it simple.... so far. Still take this with a grain of salt til the playoffs come.

+ Rookies & their hunger: Between Megnatron, Beauner, Bort (i still count him), etc. they infused this brand new hunger in the game of the Pens. Megnatron gets to every loose puck and does great in small areas. Maatta.... has the look of a 10 year vet (Thanks WVP). I just cannot get enough of their games.

And to talk about small things - Maatta's passing is ridiculous. He has a great touch pass and most NHL players cannot do. AND it's crisp. For Megna - it's the support and back tracking I love watching.

And can we talk about Bort's confidence? He's joining the rush, playing great physical defense, and is really a brand new hockey player.

+ Sutter: That Boston game paid dividends. He's a brand new hockey player and a player I love seeing. Speed/tenacity and just a knat that doesn't go away.

+ Engo: Give him some credit. It's not easy to go from defense to forward. He's playing well, too. Who would have guessed? He's actually found a purpose here. Kind of neat when he was looking like a worthless player.

+ Geno: Flying tonight. Still snake-bitten, though.



Minus

- Only thing I hate is the loose passing from Crosby and other guys. We force it in the slot, too. Just make SIMPLE plays like the B's do. Off the pads and crashing hard for loose **** goals.

- Letang: I really don't like his game right now. Sloppy. He needs to figure it out. Too much talent to be this bad.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:38 PM
  #2
Frederick Stanley
Shirai Ryu
 
Frederick Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Netherrealm
Country: Austria
Posts: 11,030
vCash: 500
With our injury luck, Glass probably tore a ligament in his knee.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:38 PM
  #3
orby
Registered User
 
orby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh/Edinboro
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
+Malkin
+Fleury
+Not Being the Flyers
-Letang
-the power plays in the third
-geno's goal not counting

orby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:38 PM
  #4
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 35,518
vCash: 500
+ Geno
+ Fleury
+ Sutter
+ Maatta
+ Bortuzzo
+ Megna
+ Engo at forward. I can't believe I'm saying that, but seriously. Especially if Glass is hurt, I'm happy to see Engo as our 12th forward.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:39 PM
  #5
JQR
Clearly it's Lovejoy
 
JQR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 3,310
vCash: 500
I'm guessing Glass with an MCL tear. Too bad, he's been damn good in his role thus far this season.

JQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:40 PM
  #6
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,326
vCash: 500
TTEOT is somewhere grimacing because Glass wasn't Dupuis

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:40 PM
  #7
OGBobbyFarnham
Registered User
 
OGBobbyFarnham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,944
vCash: 500
It's so uncanny how as soon as Sid cools off, Geno plays his best hockey. I know Kunitz/Dupuis and the insertion of Megna have a little to do with it but still.

Not expecting much for tomorrow if Zatkoff is in. Hope the guy has a great game though and the team in front of him helps him out.

OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:40 PM
  #8
AquaticBirdman
Registered User
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,512
vCash: 500
Sid really didn't look good at all tonight. Aside from a couple of good shifts he seemed lethargic and as though he was missing a gear. A lot of forced, lazy passes and was getting muscled off the puck rather easily. I guess everyone is entitled to the occasional off-night though :p

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:40 PM
  #9
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 36,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Plus

+ Fleury: I think him calming us down early won us the game. I love how he's squared to the shooter and I can't recall a lot of times where he's flopping around. He's challenging and keeping it simple.... so far. Still take this with a grain of salt til the playoffs come.

+ Rookies & their hunger: Between Megnatron, Beauner, Bort (i still count him), etc. they infused this brand new hunger in the game of the Pens. Megnatron gets to every loose puck and does great in small areas. Maatta.... has the look of a 10 year vet (Thanks WVP). I just cannot get enough of their games.

And to talk about small things - Maatta's passing is ridiculous. He has a great touch pass and most NHL players cannot do. AND it's crisp. For Megna - it's the support and back tracking I love watching.

And can we talk about Bort's confidence? He's joining the rush, playing great physical defense, and is really a brand new hockey player.

+ Sutter: That Boston game paid dividends. He's a brand new hockey player and a player I love seeing. Speed/tenacity and just a knat that doesn't go away.

+ Engo: Give him some credit. It's not easy to go from defense to forward. He's playing well, too. Who would have guessed? He's actually found a purpose here. Kind of neat when he was looking like a worthless player.

+ Geno: Flying tonight. Still snake-bitten, though.



Minus

- Only thing I hate is the loose passing from Crosby and other guys. We force it in the slot, too. Just make SIMPLE plays like the B's do. Off the pads and crashing hard for loose **** goals.

- Letang: I really don't like his game right now. Sloppy. He needs to figure it out. Too much talent to be this bad.
ES TOI among defensemen:

Maatta #1, Borts #2

It probably isn't right now, but by the middle of this year, Maatta-Borts is going to be this team's shut down pair. Individually so good, but as a tandem a true whole > sum of parts entity. In a lot of respects, that pairing is what the Orpik-Martin pairing is advertised to be (when Orpik isn't holding back).

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:40 PM
  #10
zoro87
Registered User
 
zoro87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 252
vCash: 500
Checking the boxscore, and it says Maatta played 18mins...Wow, plus to DB for giving him more minutes

+DB, playing the rookies
+Malkin, was active tonight
+Megna
+Sutter, thats what we want to see

Not many negatives....won't comment on Nisky, Since I just don't like him

zoro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:41 PM
  #11
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood
 
Ragamuffin Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 17,417
vCash: 500
IMO Fleury won this game for us. It could have easily been 3-1 Jackets after 1 if not for him.

Hopefully Malkin is breaking our of his funk, he's looked good.

- Tang on the PP. Ya he scored but he constantly gives Geno terrible passes and makes bad dumps.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:41 PM
  #12
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 36,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orby View Post
+Malkin
+Fleury
+Not Being the Flyers
-Letang
-the power play
Methinks there's a relationship between those two minuses.

I'd rather have Maatta and Borts on the PP than Letang, Martin, or Nisky.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:41 PM
  #13
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,405
vCash: 500
Maatta had an awesome game, maybe his best thus far.

Steigy and Errey are so ****ing annoying. They're both so manic in their tone.. listening to them is just awful in a game like this. And why is Steigy so incredulous when he defends Fleury? Does he really think people rip on Fleury because of his regular season play?

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:41 PM
  #14
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 35,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
ES TOI among defensemen:

Maatta #1, Borts #2

It probably isn't right now, but by the middle of this year, Maatta-Borts is going to be this team's shut down pair. Individually so good, but as a tandem a true whole > sum of parts entity. In a lot of respects, that pairing is what the Orpik-Martin pairing is advertised to be (when Orpik isn't holding back).
If Scuds comes back and really stabilizes Letang's game, and Orpik really does step up in the playoffs, we could have a crazy good defense. Or maybe neither of those things happen and Nisky plays with Maatta while Bort eats Nachos and wears a suit.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:42 PM
  #15
AquaticBirdman
Registered User
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
I'm guessing Glass with an MCL tear. Too bad, he's been damn good in his role thus far this season.
Guess we see D'Agostini tomorrow if that's the case?

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:42 PM
  #16
vabm8
Injured Reserve
 
vabm8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 14,986
vCash: 500
- I literally caught half the game, I came in at the 10 min mark of the 2nd.
- Letang
- PP
- K. I. S. S.
- Injuries, it's always injuries.
- Niskanen-Letang
- KCD still needs to die.

+ Pretty much everything but the minuses.
+ Sutter, I think he started to perk up against the Flyers and Boston really got him going.
+ Fleury
+ Not worrying about a significant portion of the team being okay for tomorrow. The rookies.

vabm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:42 PM
  #17
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 19,420
vCash: 500
+Flyers game. Watching it right now. My lord Rinaldo can't even kick the puck in.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:43 PM
  #18
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 36,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
It's so uncanny how as soon as Sid cools off, Geno plays his best hockey. I know Kunitz/Dupuis and the insertion of Megna have a little to do with it but still.

Not expecting much for tomorrow if Zatkoff is in. Hope the guy has a great game though and the team in front of him helps him out.
So true, sadly.

On a fully healthy roster, a third line of JJ-Sutter-Duper might be the truest test of that theory in the last four years.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:43 PM
  #19
OGBobbyFarnham
Registered User
 
OGBobbyFarnham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
IMO Fleury won this game for us. It could have easily been 3-1 Jackets after 1 if not for him.

Hopefully Malkin is breaking our of his funk, he's looked good.

- Tang on the PP. Ya he scored but he constantly gives Geno terrible passes and makes bad dumps.
He did.
The great equalizer is the PP.
If that heats up it'll help us win alot of hockey games.

OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:44 PM
  #20
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Letang is bad. He needs to pull his crap together because next year he will be a top 5 paid D-man in the league but looks like Melichar in his own end.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:45 PM
  #21
Aiastelmon
Registered User
 
Aiastelmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
If Scuds comes back and really stabilizes Letang's game, and Orpik really does step up in the playoffs, we could have a crazy good defense. Or maybe neither of those things happen and Nisky plays with Maatta while Bort eats Nachos and wears a suit.
There would be no way you could sit Bort and play Niskanen if he keeps up this level of play. He's playing a ton better than Niskanen and Orpik right now.

Aiastelmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:45 PM
  #22
BmxHockey
Registered User
 
BmxHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
- For Malkin not getting a goal. I want score.
+ Malkin for playing with passion.
+ Megna
+ Bortuzzo/Matta (Crazy size, speed, IQ)
+ Sutter's goal was vintage Staal, create an odd man rush by occupying neutral zone and get the snapper off with authority!
+ Fleury. Solid, squared and prepared.

BmxHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:46 PM
  #23
Crozbar
Registered User
 
Crozbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,634
vCash: 500
+the 'new' guys are the story of the team so far this year. It has been fantastic to watch.

+Solid looking Malkin out there great work off his own feet, like he's trying to keep up with Sid in that regard. Great plays including the one that led to the Megnatron' getting another one.

I'm thinking just maybe Megna can be the other guy on Malkin's wing if he keeps this up. Good speed, good tenacity digging up pucks, and front of the net sense... Just *if* he can keep it up and build on it ...

Crozbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:46 PM
  #24
AquaticBirdman
Registered User
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiastelmon View Post
There would be no way you could sit Bort and play Niskanen if he keeps up this level of play. He's playing a ton better than Niskanen and Orpik right now.
The only thing saving Niskanen right is his stats. Unfortunately they don't reflect how average-at-best/bad he's actually been, especially in his own end. Will definitely make for some quality trade bait however...

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:46 PM
  #25
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,366
vCash: 500
I'm going to play now and I'll be back at midnight.

Please, no minuses for Nisky. Like it or not, he's been one of or best d-men this year. I get that people want his meager salary off the books to trade for God knows who, but I want people to stop pretending he's terrible when he's actually been pretty good since the Tampa series.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.