HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. CBJ - Old school back-to-back

Old
11-01-2013, 08:36 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. CBJ - Old school back-to-back

Plus

+ Fleury: I think him calming us down early won us the game. I love how he's squared to the shooter and I can't recall a lot of times where he's flopping around. He's challenging and keeping it simple.... so far. Still take this with a grain of salt til the playoffs come.

+ Rookies & their hunger: Between Megnatron, Beauner, Bort (i still count him), etc. they infused this brand new hunger in the game of the Pens. Megnatron gets to every loose puck and does great in small areas. Maatta.... has the look of a 10 year vet (Thanks WVP). I just cannot get enough of their games.

And to talk about small things - Maatta's passing is ridiculous. He has a great touch pass and most NHL players cannot do. AND it's crisp. For Megna - it's the support and back tracking I love watching.

And can we talk about Bort's confidence? He's joining the rush, playing great physical defense, and is really a brand new hockey player.

+ Sutter: That Boston game paid dividends. He's a brand new hockey player and a player I love seeing. Speed/tenacity and just a knat that doesn't go away.

+ Engo: Give him some credit. It's not easy to go from defense to forward. He's playing well, too. Who would have guessed? He's actually found a purpose here. Kind of neat when he was looking like a worthless player.

+ Geno: Flying tonight. Still snake-bitten, though.

Minus

- Only thing I hate is the loose passing from Crosby and other guys. We force it in the slot, too. Just make SIMPLE plays like the B's do. Off the pads and crashing hard for loose **** goals.

- Letang: I really don't like his game right now. Sloppy. He needs to figure it out. Too much talent to be this bad.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Frederick Stanley
Shirai Ryu

With our injury luck, Glass probably tore a ligament in his knee.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
orby

+Malkin
+Fleury
+Not Being the Flyers
-Letang
-the power plays in the third
-geno's goal not counting

orby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

+ Geno
+ Fleury
+ Sutter
+ Maatta
+ Bortuzzo
+ Megna
+ Engo at forward. I can't believe I'm saying that, but seriously. Especially if Glass is hurt, I'm happy to see Engo as our 12th forward.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:39 PM
JQR
Clearly it's Lovejoy

I'm guessing Glass with an MCL tear. Too bad, he's been damn good in his role thus far this season.

JQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:40 PM
JTG

TTEOT is somewhere grimacing because Glass wasn't Dupuis

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OGBobbyFarnham

It's so uncanny how as soon as Sid cools off, Geno plays his best hockey. I know Kunitz/Dupuis and the insertion of Megna have a little to do with it but still.

Not expecting much for tomorrow if Zatkoff is in. Hope the guy has a great game though and the team in front of him helps him out.

OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AquaticBirdman

Sid really didn't look good at all tonight. Aside from a couple of good shifts he seemed lethargic and as though he was missing a gear. A lot of forced, lazy passes and was getting muscled off the puck rather easily. I guess everyone is entitled to the occasional off-night though :p

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Plus

+ Fleury: I think him calming us down early won us the game. I love how he's squared to the shooter and I can't recall a lot of times where he's flopping around. He's challenging and keeping it simple.... so far. Still take this with a grain of salt til the playoffs come.

+ Rookies & their hunger: Between Megnatron, Beauner, Bort (i still count him), etc. they infused this brand new hunger in the game of the Pens. Megnatron gets to every loose puck and does great in small areas. Maatta.... has the look of a 10 year vet (Thanks WVP). I just cannot get enough of their games.

And to talk about small things - Maatta's passing is ridiculous. He has a great touch pass and most NHL players cannot do. AND it's crisp. For Megna - it's the support and back tracking I love watching.

And can we talk about Bort's confidence? He's joining the rush, playing great physical defense, and is really a brand new hockey player.

+ Sutter: That Boston game paid dividends. He's a brand new hockey player and a player I love seeing. Speed/tenacity and just a knat that doesn't go away.

+ Engo: Give him some credit. It's not easy to go from defense to forward. He's playing well, too. Who would have guessed? He's actually found a purpose here. Kind of neat when he was looking like a worthless player.

+ Geno: Flying tonight. Still snake-bitten, though.

Minus

- Only thing I hate is the loose passing from Crosby and other guys. We force it in the slot, too. Just make SIMPLE plays like the B's do. Off the pads and crashing hard for loose **** goals.

- Letang: I really don't like his game right now. Sloppy. He needs to figure it out. Too much talent to be this bad.
ES TOI among defensemen:

Maatta #1, Borts #2

It probably isn't right now, but by the middle of this year, Maatta-Borts is going to be this team's shut down pair. Individually so good, but as a tandem a true whole > sum of parts entity. In a lot of respects, that pairing is what the Orpik-Martin pairing is advertised to be (when Orpik isn't holding back).

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zoro87

Checking the boxscore, and it says Maatta played 18mins...Wow, plus to DB for giving him more minutes

+DB, playing the rookies
+Malkin, was active tonight
+Megna
+Sutter, thats what we want to see

Not many negatives....won't comment on Nisky, Since I just don't like him

zoro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

IMO Fleury won this game for us. It could have easily been 3-1 Jackets after 1 if not for him.

Hopefully Malkin is breaking our of his funk, he's looked good.

- Tang on the PP. Ya he scored but he constantly gives Geno terrible passes and makes bad dumps.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by orby View Post
+Malkin
+Fleury
+Not Being the Flyers
-Letang
-the power play
Methinks there's a relationship between those two minuses.

I'd rather have Maatta and Borts on the PP than Letang, Martin, or Nisky.

Old
Jacob

Maatta had an awesome game, maybe his best thus far.

Steigy and Errey are so ****ing annoying. They're both so manic in their tone.. listening to them is just awful in a game like this. And why is Steigy so incredulous when he defends Fleury? Does he really think people rip on Fleury because of his regular season play?

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
ES TOI among defensemen:

Maatta #1, Borts #2

It probably isn't right now, but by the middle of this year, Maatta-Borts is going to be this team's shut down pair. Individually so good, but as a tandem a true whole > sum of parts entity. In a lot of respects, that pairing is what the Orpik-Martin pairing is advertised to be (when Orpik isn't holding back).
If Scuds comes back and really stabilizes Letang's game, and Orpik really does step up in the playoffs, we could have a crazy good defense. Or maybe neither of those things happen and Nisky plays with Maatta while Bort eats Nachos and wears a suit.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:42 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
I'm guessing Glass with an MCL tear. Too bad, he's been damn good in his role thus far this season.
Guess we see D'Agostini tomorrow if that's the case?

Old
vabm8
Injured Reserve

- I literally caught half the game, I came in at the 10 min mark of the 2nd.
- Letang
- PP
- K. I. S. S.
- Injuries, it's always injuries.
- Niskanen-Letang
- KCD still needs to die.

+ Pretty much everything but the minuses.
+ Sutter, I think he started to perk up against the Flyers and Boston really got him going.
+ Fleury
+ Not worrying about a significant portion of the team being okay for tomorrow. The rookies.

vabm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mpp9

+Flyers game. Watching it right now. My lord Rinaldo can't even kick the puck in.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:43 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
It's so uncanny how as soon as Sid cools off, Geno plays his best hockey. I know Kunitz/Dupuis and the insertion of Megna have a little to do with it but still.

Not expecting much for tomorrow if Zatkoff is in. Hope the guy has a great game though and the team in front of him helps him out.
So true, sadly.

On a fully healthy roster, a third line of JJ-Sutter-Duper might be the truest test of that theory in the last four years.

Old
11-01-2013, 08:43 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
IMO Fleury won this game for us. It could have easily been 3-1 Jackets after 1 if not for him.

Hopefully Malkin is breaking our of his funk, he's looked good.

- Tang on the PP. Ya he scored but he constantly gives Geno terrible passes and makes bad dumps.
He did.
The great equalizer is the PP.
If that heats up it'll help us win alot of hockey games.

OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:44 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Letang is bad. He needs to pull his crap together because next year he will be a top 5 paid D-man in the league but looks like Melichar in his own end.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Aiastelmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
If Scuds comes back and really stabilizes Letang's game, and Orpik really does step up in the playoffs, we could have a crazy good defense. Or maybe neither of those things happen and Nisky plays with Maatta while Bort eats Nachos and wears a suit.
There would be no way you could sit Bort and play Niskanen if he keeps up this level of play. He's playing a ton better than Niskanen and Orpik right now.

Aiastelmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:45 PM
BmxHockey

- For Malkin not getting a goal. I want score.
+ Malkin for playing with passion.
+ Megna
+ Bortuzzo/Matta (Crazy size, speed, IQ)
+ Sutter's goal was vintage Staal, create an odd man rush by occupying neutral zone and get the snapper off with authority!
+ Fleury. Solid, squared and prepared.

BmxHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Crozbar

+the 'new' guys are the story of the team so far this year. It has been fantastic to watch.

+Solid looking Malkin out there great work off his own feet, like he's trying to keep up with Sid in that regard. Great plays including the one that led to the Megnatron' getting another one.

I'm thinking just maybe Megna can be the other guy on Malkin's wing if he keeps this up. Good speed, good tenacity digging up pucks, and front of the net sense... Just *if* he can keep it up and build on it ...

Crozbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiastelmon View Post
There would be no way you could sit Bort and play Niskanen if he keeps up this level of play. He's playing a ton better than Niskanen and Orpik right now.
The only thing saving Niskanen right is his stats. Unfortunately they don't reflect how average-at-best/bad he's actually been, especially in his own end. Will definitely make for some quality trade bait however...

Old
MtlPenFan

I'm going to play now and I'll be back at midnight.

Please, no minuses for Nisky. Like it or not, he's been one of or best d-men this year. I get that people want his meager salary off the books to trade for God knows who, but I want people to stop pretending he's terrible when he's actually been pretty good since the Tampa series.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote