HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If two spots are left, which two guys do you keep?

View Poll Results: Which two do you keep?
Stoll and Salmelainen 3 3.70%
Stoll and Rita 37 45.68%
Stoll and Sarno 0 0%
Stoll and Wright 0 0%
Salmelainen and Rita 10 12.35%
Salmelainen and Sarno 3 3.70%
Salmelainen and Wright 1 1.23%
Rita and Sarno 11 13.58%
Rita and Wright 11 13.58%
Sarno and Wright 5 6.17%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 08:27 AM
Slats432

vCash: 500
If two spots are left, which two guys do you keep?

Pick a pair any pair.

Brownlee says two positions are up for grabs and these are the players vying for them. If you are MacT, then who is on your roster?

Old
09-29-2003, 08:31 AM
speeds

I voted Sarno and Wright, cause I'd prefer to see the prospects get serious ice in TOR than play as 4th liners/pressbox guys.

Old
09-29-2003, 08:37 AM
Oiltalk

Rita and Wright. Wright has some NHL experience, and Rita is the best of the group right now.

Old
09-29-2003, 08:46 AM
Slats432

I must admit, I voted for Stoll and Rita. For these guys to be players(Like Hemsky turned into), they need to play. Vet leadership on the farm with Wright and Sarno, and Fernando and Chimera rotated into the pressbox with Stoll and Rita. Maybe a forward traded.

Old
09-29-2003, 08:51 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I voted Sarno and Rita.

I think Rita, while not playing his best has learned all he can in the AHL and should be given a shot. He has the most raw talent from the list and if he is given a shot like Hemsky was last year he could come through. And he is 2 way so if he isn't a panning out yet then we can always send him down and bring up Salmelainen instead.

I also went with Sarno. I think with Comrie gone we need help on offense and Sarno can definately deliver that. His only knock has been defensively where he has showed VAST impropvements. I really like Stoll but don't think he'll be hurt by a year as first line C in TO. He can further develop the offensive side of his game and solidify his leadership roll.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:04 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I think Rita for sure...since he's spent a few seasons in the AHL already and is only going to stagnate if he's sent back again. I say try him out for a portion of the season with the big club, then decide what to do with him.

The second ones a little tough. Its either Sarno or Stoll, both are centers, except that one is for pure offense, and the other is more well rounded. Sarno has proved that he can play in the pros, with a solid season in Hamilton and a successful stint in Europe. Maybe he does have NHL in his future after all. Stoll just completed his first season and is looking pretty good. I wouldn't mind if he stayed in Toronto for a year to improve his skills on the top line.

I'd probably say Rita and Stoll, and when Edmonton realizes that they need some offense, they call up Sarno and send Stoll down.

Old
09-29-2003, 12:26 PM
hockeyaddict101

Stoll and Rita

They I think Rita will be sent back before the seasons end. Stoll will stick because of his solid defensive numbers and faceoff skills.

Old
09-29-2003, 01:06 PM
Hellström

Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
I voted for Wright and Rita.
Wright will be the next press box guy, but he could be the best one of the last years. Wright seems to be able to play every role at every position.

Rita is on his make or break year - if he will be sent down, he should be traded.

Old
09-29-2003, 01:21 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
I voted Stoll and Rita - Rita can score, and both are big and should be good(ish) defensively. Playing under MacT couldn't hurt either of them.

Old
09-29-2003, 01:38 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Brownlee says two positions are up for grabs and these are the players vying for them.

Hey.... so did I. And Robin and really aren't the same person... no really.

Old
09-29-2003, 01:45 PM
coyote

I say any combination that dose not include Sarno.

Old
09-29-2003, 02:04 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
I say any combination that dose not include Sarno.
Why what is wrong with Sarno? i have been most impressed by him this camp

Old
09-29-2003, 04:18 PM
GorillazXL

I picked Rita and Sarno.

As good as Stoll is as a player and developing with each NHL game, I think another year in AHL where he could play on the first line, on the PP and perhaps even the PK will make him that much better. If he were to be in the Oilers line up he would best suited playing the top three lines, and with the players we have (Horcoff, Resoner, York and yes, Smyth) MacT would put him on the fourth line.

Sarno has done his time in the AHL system. He's not going to get better down there, don't quote me on this but I think he was playing on the top two lines two years ago before he took off to Europe. Sarno is solid defensively and has the scoring/passing when he gets the chance...By no mean do I think Sarno will be more then a third/fouth liner, I just think if he won't benefit anymore in the minors, where as Stoll; because of his age would.

I would hope MacT keeps Rita up. he has shown he has good chemistry with Reasoner. He has also shown he can put the puck away.

GXL

Old
09-29-2003, 04:23 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I voted Sarno and Rita.

I think Rita, while not playing his best has learned all he can in the AHL and should be given a shot. He has the most raw talent from the list and if he is given a shot like Hemsky was last year he could come through. And he is 2 way so if he isn't a panning out yet then we can always send him down and bring up Salmelainen instead.

I also went with Sarno. I think with Comrie gone we need help on offense and Sarno can definately deliver that. His only knock has been defensively where he has showed VAST impropvements. I really like Stoll but don't think he'll be hurt by a year as first line C in TO. He can further develop the offensive side of his game and solidify his leadership roll.
My thoughts exactly. Sarno would be a perfect fit to play with Torres and Laraque. Lots of grit there, maybe Sarno could put up some points (and help Georges for that matter) as his playmaking would be a big plus on a line with some bashers who can get position in front of the net. Also he'd be a good option on the powerplay. I think Sarno has learned that if he wants to be even a press box guy in the NHL his defense can't be a liability. IMO it isn't anymore.

Old
09-29-2003, 04:56 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Hey.... so did I. And Robin and really aren't the same person... no really.
Time to blow my own horn. Written before your report and before Brownlee's article the next day.

and I quote. "Sarno impressed me tonight. Made a few nice plays, and played well defensively. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the season here, especially if Comrie is not still here. IMO the battle between Sarno and Stoll is neck and neck, but the Oilers may want Stoll to get the ice time in Toronto.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Not bad hey and I get no inside reports.

Old
09-29-2003, 05:19 PM
speeds

thinking about it some more, I'd probably have to say I'd like to see Rita and Sarno stay, instead of Wright and Sarno, on the condition that Rita will be given a chance to play regularly, or at least 3 out of 4 games.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:18 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm completely against Rita, Stoll, or Salmo being up if they aren't going to get played. They need to play. Putting them in the PB for more then the odd game would hurt their development. Thats the main reason I want Sarno up here, because I think 1. he'll help the team as much (although in different areas) as Stoll and 2. Stoll needs to be more then a fourth liner to continue his development IMO.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:33 PM
Gamefreak
Bee.

With Sarno and Wright what you see is what you get, and as such they probably make the best candidates for the 13th and 14th forwards. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing one or both of them switch places with either Salmo, Stoll, or Rita at various points in the season if the guys in Toronto get hot. And injuries during the course of the season may see three or four of them all playing with the Oilers at one point.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:40 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

IMO Rita has played well enough to earn himself a third line job. Reasoner and Rita's chemistry was pretty obvious IMO. Moreau is a lock on third line LW. To me it's easy. I mean I don't think Pisani is going to do more for you then Rita will, but I know Rita has WAY WAY WAY more potential then Pisani. To me It's an easy decision. People who want to see the kids play get to. People who want to see the Oilers keep the Vets playing see what they want. To me Pisani's value is limited as he is a lesser version of Moreau IMO (notably lesser, so don't barage me with "why don't we trade Moreau then because Pisani is cheaper").

Old
09-29-2003, 08:22 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Time to blow my own horn. Written before your report and before Brownlee's article the next day.

and I quote. "Sarno impressed me tonight. Made a few nice plays, and played well defensively. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the season here, especially if Comrie is not still here. IMO the battle between Sarno and Stoll is neck and neck, but the Oilers may want Stoll to get the ice time in Toronto.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Not bad hey and I get no inside reports.

well then i'll have to point out that I said this on the radio with Bob Stauffer on September 18th. Ha... beat that!

Old
09-29-2003, 08:28 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
well then i'll have to point out that I said this on the radio with Bob Stauffer on September 18th. Ha... beat that!
You could have but I didn't listen, and face it I don't hang around the Oilers every day or have any one in the organizations ear. I have to figure it out all in my own.

Actually it was pretty obvious that this was the biggest battle left in camp I am just being a smarta**

Great job as usual Guy and besides your quotes about MacT being please with Torres performance in the last game saved my butt. I didn't have to defend my comments anymore. I think I was pretty well the only poster in the game thread that thought he played well.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:22 PM
Oi'll say!

I'm just assuming that Torres is already on the team since he wasn't on that list?

Jason Bonsignor was making $1m to play in the ahl when he was an Oiler so Torres's contract doesn't make it a slam dunk that he'll be here, although I agree that he should.

Smyth
Izzy
York
Dvo
Hemsky
Reasoner
Horcoff
Laraque
Moreau
Pisani
Chimera
Torres
Rita
Sarno

Anyways I voted for Rita and Sarno, but I wouldn't be surprised to be ofer 2. It's a real dogfight out there and some guys who are probably good enough to get a shot are going to get their hearts broken.

Then if/when Comrie signs/gets traded one more guy will get the boot. I really hope nothing happens until at least 6 or 7 games into the season though.

Closed Thread