HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Sam Gagner

Old
06-24-2013, 09:07 PM
InShannyWeTrust
Bring on the trades!

vCash: 500
Sam Gagner

As a leaf fan and a lot of talk around the leafs and oilers possible making a trade including Sam Gagner, I was hoping Oiler fans could shed a little light on Sam and what he does well and what he needs work on. Is he a good faceoff guy? I've seen him play before but never paid much attention. When I heard today on hockey central that kypreos said it would take Phaneuf+ to get him I was a bit shocked... any constructive information would be greatly appreciated

InShannyWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:13 PM
huntison

Wow..I don't think it will take Phaneuf + to get Gagner. I think it would be Gagner + to get Phaneuf.

huntison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntison View Post
Wow..I don't think it will take Phaneuf + to get Gagner. I think it would be Gagner + to get Phaneuf.
Contract situation may play into that as well.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Archangel

vCash: 252
Oiler fans over value Gagner. Worth a second and prospect

Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:21 PM
ghostnights

vCash: 2338
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
Hahahahahah

ghostnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Wheatking

Gagner is one of those players that would look a lot better if he wasn't an Oiler. He's a smaller 2nd line player playing on a team with a bunch of other small top 6 players.

He's a good playmaker with a pretty average shot. He manages to score a close to a 20 goal pace though. He's also a streaky player. He's good for a 25-35 game stretch each season where he plays at about a 70-80 point pace but then he's a 40 point player the rest of the time. Averages out to about a 50-60 point pace. He's good on the powerplay. He can be a pretty creative player. Especially in the shootout.

Defensively he's average to bad. This season he was pretty bad but in more recent seasons he's not a liability. You wouldn't want him on the PK though. He's also poor on faceoffs.

One of his biggest weakness over the years has been now much time he spends sitting on the ice. He would get knocked down pretty easily. I thought this season he improved that a lot. His balance was much better. His foot speed was also a lot better. He's not Taylor Hall out there but he can keep up with him.

One of his biggest strengths is his character. He's had absolutely zero team success since coming into the NHL 5 or 6 years ago and it would actually be understandable if his spirit had been hurt...but there haven't been many Oilers to bring the effort Gagner brings every night. There's been a lot of losing in Edmonton and he's in front of the media every night answering the tough questions. In games when the Oilers are being dominated physically, Oilers fans will joke that it's time for Gagner to drop the gloves. We say that not because he's so small and can't fight, but because there have been times when he's went out and got beat up just to send a message to the team.

There are Oilers fans that don't like him and are very tough on him but he is what he is. He's a small player that is pretty one dimensional but he brings a ton of heart and will create more than he gives up. He's not a perfect player but get him on your 2nd line with some skilled wingers that have some size and you can win with him on your team. He could even have an A on his jersey.

-

As for the Phaneuf rumor. I think it would definitely take Gagner+ to get Phaneuf but I don't think I'd do it. If we're bringing in a 6.5M Dman...he's not the guy I'd want.

Last edited by Wheatking: 06-24-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:33 PM
smackdaddy
x Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post

Defensively he's average to bad. This season he was pretty bad but in more recent seasons he's not a liability. You wouldn't want him on the PK though. He's also poor on faceoffs.

Disagree with this, to an extent. Gagner isn't bad defensively. Kruger's asinine coverage for the centers made all our centers look bad, especially Gagner. Not his fault.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

If Kyper said Phaneuf + I'd believe him. Hasn't he been good with leafs stuff of late?

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by InNonisWeTrust View Post
As a leaf fan and a lot of talk around the leafs and oilers possible making a trade including Sam Gagner, I was hoping Oiler fans could shed a little light on Sam and what he does well and what he needs work on. Is he a good faceoff guy? I've seen him play before but never paid much attention. When I heard today on hockey central that kypreos said it would take Phaneuf+ to get him I was a bit shocked... any constructive information would be greatly appreciated
He's 23 and played over 400 games now. He's a 3/4 pt a game player in Edmonton and he gets better at something every year. His defense and FO% is coming around. As a Leafs fan who watches almost every Oilers game, I would absolutely take him. I'd want another D if it were for Dion though. I'd take Gagner/ Nick Schultz for Dion. IF and only IF, Im concrete in my belief when it comes to Gardiner and Rielly. All the Leaf fans who say no, we already have Kadri, etc, are misguided. He's a ten year guy... easy. Im not into giving my D away but Gagner would be a great asset for a long time.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:50 PM
letowskie

Quote:
That sounds about right.

He is about as one dimensional as anyone gets in the league; and he isn't physical at all. So when he isn't scoring, he is an liability in every other area of the game. And now you add the fact that he is streaky on offence, you get the picture.

letowskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:51 PM
booyakasha
rated R superstar!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InNonisWeTrust View Post
Kypreos is out to lunch, ...
I'm a Gagner fan and not really a fan of Phaneuf at all, but even I would admit it would be Gagner + for Dion.

have to add that Gagner really is underrated on these boards from what I've read.

booyakasha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:51 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Gagner has put up the second most points from his draft year. I would love to see how you evalute players

Aceboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Aceonfire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by letowskie View Post
That sounds about right.

He is about as one dimensional as anyone gets in the league; and he isn't physical at all. So when he isn't scoring, he is an liability in every other area of the game. And now you add the fact that he is streaky on offence, you get the picture.
You can tell when someone never actually watches Gagner play.

Eberle is one dimensional, Gagner is not.

Streaky? Sure...but so is Kessel, but the end justify the means.

Aceonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
If Kyper said Phaneuf + I'd believe him. Hasn't he been good with leafs stuff of late?
Kyper is a moron.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:04 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Gagner has put up the second most points from his draft year. I would love to see how you evalute players
what other studs came out of Gagner's draft?

veedubn1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:18 PM
iCanada

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
what other studs came out of Gagner's draft?
Kane, Couture, Turris, JVR, Voracek, Paccioretty, Lars Eller, Backlund...

Gagner had a much better year, and NHL career so far than all of these players (except kane, I suppose Voracek had a better year too), yet for some reason he is considered to be worth considerably less than all of them aside from Patrick Kane.

I dunno, the rest of these guys considered young studs still improving but for some reason Gagner isn't. I think that stupid.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
Kane, Couture, Turris, JVR, Voracek, Paccioretty, Lars Eller, Backlund...

Gagner had a much better year, and NHL career so far than all of these players (except kane, I suppose Voracek had a better year too), yet for some reason he is considered to be worth considerably less than all of them aside from Patrick Kane.

I dunno, the rest of these guys considered young studs still improving but for some reason Gagner isn't. I think that stupid.
It's because he's like an old man in Edmonton... Seriously though, people are ignorant. The guy is a ten year player. He works on his game constantly and he's a great teammate. You dont just get rid of those guys.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:49 PM
GoldenTicket

Quote:
Originally Posted by letowskie View Post
That sounds about right.

It's about having reasonable expectations. Sam isn't the perfect player but nobody is saying he is. He's a very solid 2nd line player. He's pretty much a lock for about 50 points a season. That puts him in the top 20 in scoring among centers. Not terrible for your 2nd line. Lots of 24 year old forwards have some holes in their game. Sam is no different.

I don't trade Sam for 1 year of Dion. Especially not at 6.5

GoldenTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:52 PM
iCanada

vCash: 400
If Oiler fans overrate Gagner, why is it everyone else always trying to trade for him?

Only reason Oilers have to trade him is perhaps Salary. aside from that he a great 2C and the Oilers have only two centers considering Belanger and Horcoff wont be Oilers next year as per MacT.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 02:58 PM
yukoner88

vCash: 129
*bump*

figured I'd bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

Most of the talk about Edmonton shaking things up revolves around Eberle/Yakupov.
But no one on the team is off limits right now, and his nmc doesn't kick in until next summer, and the challenge with trading Gagner is not creating a larger hole down the middle than there already is. Who would most likely interested in trading for him?

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Lucky Leaf
**** the oilers

Kadri is a better small center than Ganger, personally I want a center with size. Plus he needs to be reconditioned from the Oilers not knowing their defense.

Lucky Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 03:10 PM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue n White Blood View Post
Kadri is a better small center than Ganger, personally I want a center with size. Plus he needs to be reconditioned from the Oilers not knowing their defense.
If the Oilers top 6 wasn't so small/soft already, a deal could probably be made around them, but the Oilers are in dire need of players who play with size and have some push back in their game.

Old
11-01-2013, 03:26 PM
will13

When phaneuf is resigned this deal becomes so lopsided it's not even funny. With Phaneufs contract situation ATM it may be fair considering he could just walk next season but other than that value is way off. Leafs can get phaneuf signed easily and his value goes way up

will13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 03:44 PM
rockinghockey

Phanuef wants 7mil a year and in my eyes I would not pay that.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 03:48 PM
yukoner88

what's the status of JVR?