HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stu. Is it time to drop the Magnificent?

View Poll Results: What say Stu?
Magnificent ******* 15 10.95%
Insignificant ******* 43 31.39%
******* 14 10.22%
Too soon to say 65 47.45%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-26-2013, 04:28 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Stu. Is it time to drop the Magnificent?

So what say you all about Stu? Is he still the Magnificent B******? Or is he just a B******? Or something in between? Im thinking he better start producing something other than first round picks. What say you? Has your opinion of him changed since he was first hired? Why or why not?

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 06-26-2013 at 04:34 AM.
I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:31 AM
plikestechno

vCash: 500
None of these guys second round or later seem to be panning out or reaching their original targets. Sometimes I wonder if Todd Nelson isn't the problem. It seems like he's more of a win first-develop players second kind of guy. It seems like a lot of players have regressed since going to OKC

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:32 AM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
I am not sure because half of the words are stars. Although I do not think he is the best I sure like him more than the previous regime.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:38 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
I am not sure because half of the words are stars. Although I do not think he is the best I sure like him more than the previous regime.
Refers to his nickname. I agree about being better than KP, but that is setting the bar about as low as it can go. We need to do better.

Old
06-26-2013, 04:39 AM
Soundwave

The Oilers need Stu and his group to bring it on draft day. This is an important draft.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:47 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Dude called Landeskog a third liner before the draft so I stopped paying attention to him since that time but what pick(s) turned fans against him? I've heard quite a few people get on his case lately. A few people I know, fans on the radio, people online, etc.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:55 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Dude called Landeskog a third liner before the draft so I stopped paying attention to him since that time but what pick(s) turned fans against him? I've heard quite a few people get on his case lately. A few people I know, fans on the radio, people online, etc.
Never heard him call Landeskog a third liner. Where did you get that from?

Oiler fans are frustrated that we havent had much/any success outside of the first round, at least half of which under Stu's watch have been first overall picks.

We/he needs to do better with picks outside the first round.

Old
06-26-2013, 05:08 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Never heard him call Landeskog a third liner. Where did you get that from?

Oiler fans are frustrated that we havent had much/any success outside of the first round, at least half of which under Stu's watch have been first overall picks.

We/he needs to do better with picks outside the first round.
It was in an article before the draft. I think he predicted Landeskog would be a third liner but he also said he could eventually end up being a solid second liner.

Some players it looks like they missed on but it isn't it early to judge the recent second round picks? Guys like Musil, Marincin, Pitlick, etc? I saw Moroz play a few times this year and he didn't look very good.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:08 AM
aleshemsky83

We keep drafting the children of former oilers and people on the oilers payroll, not exactly a sign that there is a master plan.

aleshemsky83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:10 AM
archangel archangel

outside of top 6 picks. He has jack show for his drafting

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:21 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

It's starting to look bad for a lot players drafted after the 1st round, but it's hard to tell if that is Mcgregor's fault, or if was the mandate from Lowe/Tambo to pass on talent in favor of players that project as NHL grinders.

Maybe under Mact they'll draft with the understanding that you don't get NHL 3rd/4th liners by drafting WHL level 3rd/4th liners, and maybe they will go about their 15 year search for a power forward with a little more common sense as well.

Time will tell I guess.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:25 AM
tiger_80

In my view, it is still too early to pass judgement on MacGregor. He's been head scout since 2008. Abney, Pitlick, Hamilton, Martindale--all look like wasted picks at this point. But He's also the guy responsible for picking Eberle, Paajarvi, Lander, Marincin, Klefbom, Musil.

Eberle is already a top line player. Paajarvi after some struggles is back on track and probably will carve a decent NHL career for himself as a 3rd or even 2nd liner.

Klefbom has tons of potential. Given time, Lander, Marincin, Musil, Moroz can become good NHLers.

Would be interesting to compare his results with other GMs who picked in similar spots (discounting 1st overalls we've had).

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:52 AM
CorpseFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
It was in an article before the draft. I think he predicted Landeskog would be a third liner but he also said he could eventually end up being a solid second liner.

Some players it looks like they missed on but it isn't it early to judge the recent second round picks? Guys like Musil, Marincin, Pitlick, etc? I saw Moroz play a few times this year and he didn't look very good.
yep... here's the article from Brownlee...

- Projection: "He's going to be a third-line player who could be a good second-line player."

not gonna lie, my opinion of McGregor just dropped about 1,000 points

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:16 AM
Bergeron47

I really not sure who to blame, but the one I'm most suspect of if Todd Nelson.
Until he can actually develop one, just one, prospect into an NHLer, he could be statistically the worst developmental coach in the AHL.

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:21 AM
cyril*
Losers cheer for..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post

- Projection: "He's going to be a third-line player who could be a good second-line player."

Wow. If he thought Landeskog was a third liner then what's Moroz? ECHL fourth liner?

But on the thread topic, yes the Magnificent should be dropped. I can't recall a single non-first round player that Stu has drafted that is on their roster.

cyril* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Landeskog had 2nd line stats first season although a good one and this season 3rd line stats so Maybe his projection of good second liner might not be to far off.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Heavy Dee

Lost all respect when he drafted Musil over Boone Jenner. Stu The Bust

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Still haven't seen anything special from the Oiler scouting staff..I've said this for the last few years, even when some people were proclaming him 'magnificent"..Until he actually finds some gems in later rounds and not just 1st round (or 1st overall), he's just another member of one of the poorest drafting teams in the NHL.
That may change with the latest crop but the jury is still out on them.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:32 AM
oil slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Until he can actually develop one, just one, prospect into an NHLer, he could be statistically the worst developmental coach in the AHL.
It's always hard to say if it's the scouts that aren't projecting players properly, or the development staff that aren't developing.

But I'm leaning towards blaming Todd Nelson also. Too many prospects who do well in their overage year in the CHL or in Europe and just hit a brick wall of development at the AHL. But who knows -- maybe Stu is just picking guys with fatal flaws.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Who do we blame before Nelson?
Imo, we haven't developed players for years because they aren't the right players..Don't have much faith in the Oiler's scouts, pro or amateur.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Never been a fan.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Nail and Nuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post

Nice research. That is a stunning miss by McGregor.

Captain. Calder winner. Not a third liner Stu.

Nail and Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:45 AM
oil slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Who do we blame before Nelson?
I'm not sure how much time Stu had without Nelson at the helm... a year? Two? I think any prospect picked in Stu's reign has been coached by Nelson.

Probably it's a bit of both of them.

One things for sure -- even with older players, farm teams like Bingo are so much better at getting NHL ready players than OKC. They just come up ready to play in the Senators system... players from OKC are a disaster.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:57 AM
nightfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
I'm not sure how much time Stu had without Nelson at the helm... a year? Two? I think any prospect picked in Stu's reign has been coached by Nelson.

Probably it's a bit of both of them.

One things for sure -- even with older players, farm teams like Bingo are so much better at getting NHL ready players than OKC. They just come up ready to play in the Senators system... players from OKC are a disaster.
They made mention of binghampton on TSN earlier in the season when the sens were dropping like flies and their lineup resembled the AHL team more than the NHL team. Something about how both teams employ the same systems play so players can just step right into the NHL team and know what their role is supposed to be. Hard to argue with their results. Why don't more AHL teams do this?

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:12 AM
FunkyChicken
Dishonor for Connor

I think this is the show me year. Sounds like MacT removed some drafting constraints (coke bottle drafting) and it's just BPA.

FunkyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote