HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Dallas Eakins

Old
11-03-2013, 12:34 AM
nwaZ

vCash: 500
Edmonton should trade Eberle for some grit and leadership.

nwaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:35 AM
bruinsfan46

Can't fire him anytime in the immediate. They need some stability and the roster isn't good enough to go anywhere with anybody else behind the bench. Gotta ride it out for a while and hope for the best.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:36 AM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot View Post
Tell that to Patrick Roy..
Very different situation. Avs completely changed their support cast for the better. They also simple needed a coaching change, any respectable coach, to get everyone going. It obviously had no effect on the Oilers.

danmcn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:37 AM
pahlsson

very disturbing

pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Think of your childhood. How much did you learn from substitute teachers?

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:38 AM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

Atleast he has pretty hair.

Helistin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by nac mac feegle View Post
edmonton let the kids run wild for so many years, that it'll take a very long time to change the mindset.

Got to give the coach at least the full season o start turning it around.

That said, colorado who got the "better" coach in roy will likely miss the playoffs this year, while vancouver, dallas and the rangers are no locks for the post season, either.
12-1-0

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Found it odd they looked at giving Kruger help behind the bench with Eakins - then end up canning Kruger and *replacing* him with a guy that had zero NHL coaching experience.
It smacks of a rookie GM, old boys club to be clear, trying to put his stamp on the team. Unfair to Kruger as well. Eakins may still do well, the circumstances of his hiring were odd though.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Edmonton let the kids run wild for so many years, that it'll take a very long time to change the mindset.

Got to give the coach at least the full season o start turning it around.

That said, Colorado who got the "better" coach in Roy will likely miss the playoffs this year, while Vancouver, Dallas and the Rangers are no locks for the post season, either.
If Colorado were to play .500 hockey the rest of the year, they still probably end up making the playoffs. People waiting for the Avs to crash and burn need to give up already. Only way that happens at this point is through injuries to their top players.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 1053
does anyone look at the Oilers roster and see it capable of making the playoffs?

unless you get a Roy type of replacement, replacing coach won't fix the team

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:40 AM
Wingsfan2965*

How long before Edmonton realizes that developing players with zero veteran leadership is a horrible idea?

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:40 AM
GranvilleIsland

Edmonton needs some solid veterans to go with that young core. Guys like Ference won't cut it. Smyth was a good start but they need more. When Petry is one of your better dmen there's a problem. No knock against the players already on the Oilers but that team needs some serious character and leadership. That's just my opinion from an outside perspective.

Also maybe a goalie...

GranvilleIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:42 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

You obviously don't know who Dallas Eakins is. I've been paying attention to him for a while now & I can say with 100% certainty that Eakins is actually a Time Lord and the 10th incarnation of the doctor. Here's a photo of him leaving the Tardis in Edmonton.

You don't just fire a Time Lord he obviously decided to move to Edmonton because of something that will happen that will put all of the Earth in danger.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 1053
Is Justin Schultz hurt or was he a healthy scratch?

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

They are in disarray but maybe part of that is learning a new system, sure haven't seen alot of swarming defense from the Oilers.

May as well give him the year, they are already out of the playoffs anyways. If they don't significant progress from the current disaster by the end of the year get rid of him and there will be more of a pool of coaching options in the offseason.

Clearly a portion of this is on the players to, not competing and not being equipped at defense and goaltending and too small all over.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:46 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

I'm tired of blaming the coaches. Eakins is making some big mistakes, and I think he's wrong for the job. But we absolutely cannot get rid of him. His decisions are so... AHL

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:47 AM
kihei

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Bruins Fan View Post
They are in disarray but maybe part of that is learning a new system, sure haven't seen alot of swarming defense from the Oilers.

May as well give him the year, they are already out of the playoffs anyways.
Agree about giving him a year as they are out of the playoffs already, but what the hell might that new system be. I've watched their last four games, and nothing approaching a system is evident in anything that they do. Small sample, true, but it is also downright shocking to watch.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:49 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
That said, Colorado who got the "better" coach in Roy will likely miss the playoffs this year, while Vancouver, Dallas and the Rangers are no locks for the post season, either.
Funny

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:54 AM
Ishdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I thought about starting this same thread. The question has to be on everyone's mind. How could the Oilers be so bad if Eakins is supposed to be such a promising coach? Then again, maybe the kids just aren't as good as Oiler management believed, or, more likely, maybe that same management rushed them into the NHL stupidly. The way they have played recently against Toronto and Detroit, the team sure seems to be sending a message to somebody. I think their year is already lost.
Seeing the Oilers play it's pretty obvious that their young guys are extremely talented, although of course there is quite a difference between being 'talented' and being 'good'. Hall is already exactly what you would want from a player of his pedigree, putting up points and driving possession on a team that can't do either, and I really don't think he's far off at all from the very best forwards in the league. There are issues with Nugent-Hopkins (he really, really needs to shoot more) but I don't think there's anything specifically out of line with his development. Yakupov is a supremely talented player who the Oilers absolutely have no idea what to do with, and it shows. When Eakins it talking about guys who don't know the basics of defense he would be one of the examples but it speaks more to the fundamental stupidity of the Oilers management that they can't do anything with him. It's a tough position because they have enough offensive talent that it doesn't make the most sense to shelter the hell out of him but they still need to play him. And of course, I think trading him would be really stupid; they're at best going to get 50 cents on the dollar and the second he goes to a competent franchise and inevitably flourishes they'll look like idiots. Schultz is very much the same way- he's a defensive trainwreck, but the amount of defensemen who are good both offensively and defensively out of the gate basically doubles as a list of Hall of Famers, and considering the rest of the Oilers development I'm guessing his problems are more organizational than personal.

Ishdul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:54 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

It's an odd (losing?) combination in Edmonton - a rookie GM + a rookie coach + a team that is heavily reliant on its youngest players carrying the load.

I'd initially thought that Eakins would be a good hire for the Oilers - thinking about his experience developing players. But his coaching manner in Edmonton seems to have little to do with developing the young players who they greatly require to produce - and instead seems to be built around gimmicks and a healthy dose of ego.

At this point I doubt Eakins gets fired any time soon - he's McT's hire - and god knows McT, new on the job, won't be quick to admit he was wrong about things.

With apologies for sounding overly corporate - someone (with competence) needs to sit down and sketch out a 'plan' for that team - 12 mos, 3 yrs, 5 yrs.

Hall and RNH need to be written in in permanent marker. The rest of the roster should be treated as fluid and available when creating the rest of the line up.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:57 AM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
You obviously don't know who Dallas Eakins is. I've been paying attention to him for a while now & I can say with 100% certainty that Eakins is actually a Time Lord and the 10th incarnation of the doctor. Here's a photo of him leaving the Tardis in Edmonton.

You don't just fire a Time Lord he obviously decided to move to Edmonton because of something that will happen that will put all of the Earth in danger.
I was seriously going to make this post. Dude is obviously just waiting a year to become the next Doctor.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Ishdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
How long before Edmonton realizes that developing players with zero veteran leadership is a horrible idea?
We have some lofty standards for veteran leadership if Smyth doesn't cut it. And you're off your rocker if you see the Oilers get doubled up in shots and their goalies allow a goal every 9 shots and think that the problem is leadership.

Ishdul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:02 AM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
MacT should have stuck with the plan and made him an associate coach with Krueger. Could have got a better feel for his coaching ability that way instead of making yet another HC change resetting all the teams coaching progress back to 0 again.

oobga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:04 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Found it odd they looked at giving Kruger help behind the bench with Eakins - then end up canning Kruger and *replacing* him with a guy that had zero NHL coaching experience.
Didn't Patrick Roy, who has his team in 1st in the NHL currently, have zero NHL coaching experience?

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:04 AM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Agree about giving him a year as they are out of the playoffs already, but what the hell might that new system be. I've watched their last four games, and nothing approaching a system is evident in anything that they do. Small sample, true, but it is also downright shocking to watch.
Well, you got me there I can't determine what it is either. I am assuming there is one and the players aren't following it.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote