HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Dallas Eakins

Old
11-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Auger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
yeah, i don't doubt what you said about ference - it's just that it was weird they appointed a captain who had (1) never played on the team before; and (2) wasn't coming in as their best player. there ae NHL captains who aren't the best player on the team and there are occasions in the past where the guy named captain was new to the team - but in those situations, the player named seems to have been a guy who immediately stepped up as the (or one of the best players.

the thing about the oilers is their success hinges more on guys like Hall and RNH than Ference. And, like I said above, you don't need to be the best player on the team to be the captain - i just find it odd that Ference is new and isn't forced to carry the load.

I get your point about Ference having "paid his dues" - but Ference was also never looked at to 'be the guy' when he was a teenager either. Good for Ference for having worked his way up in the league - but also, isn't it nice for him he was never expected to be a difference maker when he was 18/19/20.

..that's why i asked in my earlier post how guys like Hall and RNH might have received him so far.

Great point. This is similar to how I felt about his captaincy, but you articulated it much better than I did.

Auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:51 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

how many coaches do the braintrust in EDM get to fire? they've given this coach very few winning veterans to lean on

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:52 AM
prophetofgreed

I think the results so far with Eakins can be either 2 things:

1. Proof that the Toronto media completely overhyped the coaching ability of Eakins

2. Proof that the Oilers are that bad...

prophetofgreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:53 AM
Atas2000

I'd give him the boot yesterday, but they don't have a Lemaire to jump in and turn the team around. I expect Mr.Eakins to last until the fans start rioting instead of booing at Rexall Place.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:57 AM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishdul View Post
There are lots of ways to develop talent and the recent wave of prospects for Detroit really hasn't developed to expectations so I'd hesitate to call that model fool proof. I also think it's a pretty simplistic explanation for their success. The Chicago core is a pretty blatant counter-example of a team succeeding to the highest levels without a ton of veteran leadership.
Chicago was interesting, because they essentially jumpstarted the rebuild by spending money on goaltending and some high quality players who just seemed to fit when brought in (Havlat and Campbell while in full rebuild, and Hossa once they were ready to turn the corner). There was definitely a few lesser role players brought in (Madden, Sopel, etc..) and some savvy trades (Ladd, Sharp) but overall, the roster was stocked with internal talent.

Edmonton hasn't been able to bring in the Campbells, Havlats and (prime) Khabibulins to take pressure off the developing players which makes for a bumpy ride.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:58 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
There are lots of ways to develop talent and the recent wave of prospects for Detroit really hasn't developed to expectations so I'd hesitate to call that model fool proof. I also think it's a pretty simplistic explanation for their success.
Weird... I could swear four of their five goals tonight came from players under 26... Two point nights for Andersson and Kindl... Tatar with 3 goals in the last 3 games.

... Yet they blow at developing.

As for Chicago, they still had more vets than Edmonton does, and their 2010 roster is 10 times better than what Edmonton has managed to put together.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:00 AM
AG
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
There are lots of ways to develop talent and the recent wave of prospects for Detroit really hasn't developed to expectations so I'd hesitate to call that model fool proof.
Their last top 10 pick was... how long ago?

They're one of the premier teams at not only scouting and developing talent but building a team for a lasting success.

I would absolutely say they're a good model to follow. Detroit is a proven success in that regard.

AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:01 AM
neutral*

vCash: 917
Still think firing Tambellini was the worst decision the Oilers have made. He is a great gm.

neutral* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:02 AM
AG
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
Still think firing Tambellini was the worst decision the Oilers have made. He is a great gm.
Said no one ever.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:03 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Weird... I could swear four of their five goals tonight came from players under 26... Two point nights for Andersson and Kindl... Tatar with 3 goals in the last 3 games.

As for Chicago, they still had more vets than Edmonton does, and their 2010 roster is 10 times better than what Edmonton has managed to put together.
come on. farm system is looking good now but previous legit top6 f or top 4 d that the wings have drafted is franzen. in 2004.

nyquist and tatar have potential and arguably would be on some teams top 6 but still.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:03 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neros View Post
Their last top 10 pick was... how long ago?

They're one of the premier teams at not only scouting and developing talent but building a team for a lasting success.

I would absolutely say they're a good model to follow. Detroit is a proven success in that regard.
HA! Top 10? We've had one other sub 20 pick since Marty LaPointe in 1991.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:05 AM
AG
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
HA! Top 10? We've had one other sub 20 pick since Marty LaPointe in 1993.
Even better.

lol

Old
11-03-2013, 01:06 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
come on. farm system is looking good now but previous legit top6 f or top 4 d that the wings have drafted is franzen. in 2004.

nyquist and tatar have potential and arguably would be on some teams top 6 but still.
By "Recent wave" I'm thinking Nyquist/Tatar/Andersson/Smith/Kindl. Maybe expanding into Ericsson and Helm.

Only one who really isn't living up to his billing is Smith.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:07 AM
MP92
Catching flies

Their management does not know how to build and establish a winning team. Not really the coaches fault in this case. They've drafted too many skilled forwards and have neglected other areas such as defense, goaltending and grit.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:09 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Their management does not know how to build and establish a winning team. Not really the coaches fault in this case. They've drafted too many skilled forwards and have neglected other areas such as defense, goaltending and grit.
They need Tootoo, obviously.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:12 AM
lawrence

Not much you can do with a weak team. It's not really his fault.

lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:12 AM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Chicago was interesting, because they essentially jumpstarted the rebuild by spending money on goaltending and some high quality players who just seemed to fit when brought in (Havlat and Campbell while in full rebuild, and Hossa once they were ready to turn the corner). There was definitely a few lesser role players brought in (Madden, Sopel, etc..) and some savvy trades (Ladd, Sharp) but overall, the roster was stocked with internal talent.

Edmonton hasn't been able to bring in the Campbells, Havlats and (prime) Khabibulins to take pressure off the developing players which makes for a bumpy ride.
That's an under-rated point.

Colorado is basically trying to do the same with Nathan MacKinnon. Duchene/Stastny take up the top two lines, MacKinnon centers the third with sheltered minutes or occasionally plays wing on the top line. NM has looked out of sorts in numerous games, but it's okay because other guys can step in. Expecting young players to score a point per game and carry teams when they've only been in the league for a few seasons is just unrealistic unless the player is a Crosby or Ovechkin.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:16 AM
TheGoalJudge

Why did they fire Kruger again?

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:17 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
He was the greatest of all time at getting 1st overall picks. Edmonton def made a mistake by letting that man go.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:17 AM
Wizeman*

The problem with the Oilers in my opinion is they insist on stockpiling mountains of draft picks leaving nobody to develop them. Now they have a team full of junior players in a league where you win or lose your job.

The Coach is not the problem. Its the players . They are not the 80s oilers who were good by age 21 They do not have a Wayne Gretzky to make them all great.

They need to be realistic and sell off some of their talent to get a core group of players who can then develop their talent.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:18 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

This is what happens when a coach forces a team to eat nothing but veggies and skim milk. They're probably starving, enough with the high school PE nutrition and teaching it's time to get these MEN playing some intense hockey.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:20 AM
Shanahanigans

These guys were never this bad. Our forwards have lost their offensive ability, our defense have lost the little defensive ability they had. Goaltending has been bad. This team, right now is playing worse than I have ever seen them play, including in the 09-11 years.

Eakins' 'swarm defense' as he calls it clearly isn't working. We've given up 59 goals in 15 games played. That's an average of 4 goals a game. We knew our roster had some holes coming into the season, but I didn't expect us to be 3-12, 15 games in.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:20 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
This is what happens when a coach forces a team to eat nothing but veggies and skim milk. They're probably starving, enough with the high school PE nutrition and teaching it's time to get these MEN playing some intense hockey.
Clearly they need this man as their coach.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:21 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Had to cut practice short due to "information overload" the other day...

So either his players are dumb or he's trying to build Rome in a day.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:22 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:

Well the hawks went out and got guys like Campbell and Hossa while the oilers got Ference and Gordon. The hawks had serious size and toughness through their line up the oilers have zero. There's no Ladd or buff or Brouwer oh and let's not even go near the defence there isn't a Keith or seabrook to be found in Edmonton. You're right, oilers have completely failed to build around their picks.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote