HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Dallas Eakins

Old
11-03-2013, 01:23 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Had to cut practice short due to "information overload" the other day...

So either his players are dumb or he's trying to build Rome in a day.
He was trying to teach them they don't need 4 guys covering the points but he just couldn't get it through to them.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:24 AM
The Beyonder

They need a sense of direction and they need to stick to it. The team is still young and it should be about the process and not so much the results. Accountability, discipline,and consistency should be stressed profoundly, and constantly changing the coach's just simply says to the players "Hey, don't worry, if this team is losing again and you guys are not at the level that you guys should be, then we'll just fire the coach and start over again." Find a coach and stick with a process, if they no longer think Eakins is the guy fine, but not to long ago they did, so give the guy a longer look.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:25 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
HA! Top 10? We've had one other sub 20 pick since Marty LaPointe in 1991.
well technically 2 picks. kindl at #20. and they had #18 but traded down to #20.

Quote:
By "Recent wave" I'm thinking Nyquist/Tatar/Andersson/Smith/Kindl. Maybe expanding into Ericsson and Helm.

Only one who really isn't living up to his billing is Smith.
oh, gotcha.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:26 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
well technically 2 picks. kindl at #20. and they had #18 but traded down to #20.

oh, gotcha.
Kindl was 19. Wasn't counting Mantha because I wasn't really considering 20 as being "Top 20" (I guess it would be...) and that was the most recent draft.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:34 AM
iFan
McDavid to Virtanen

Would the Oilers of been Better off with drafting Seguin over Hall and Landeskog over RNH? That would reshape that top 6 a bit.

iFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:36 AM
Smokey McCanucks

The hockey gods are striking his team down, and will continue to do so until he gets a ******* haircut.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:38 AM
Shorthander

Eakins has definitely screwed something up, even Krueger's team could play a solid game and win once in a while. But Nuge is still too small for the NHL, Hall has god awful hockey sense for a 1st overall pick, and Yak is a rookie being developed on a bad team. Regardless of who coaches, the team is a mess.

Shorthander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:39 AM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

Terrible, pathetic team. I'm Embarrassed as a hockey fan to have this crappy of a team in the NHL.

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:40 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
He was trying to teach them they don't need 4 guys covering the points but he just couldn't get it through to them.
Versus like a week ago when they had 0 guys covering the point and got scored on 4 times from the blueline.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:42 AM
John McClane

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
You obviously don't know who Dallas Eakins is. I've been paying attention to him for a while now & I can say with 100% certainty that Eakins is actually a Time Lord and the 10th incarnation of the doctor. Here's a photo of him leaving the Tardis in Edmonton.

You don't just fire a Time Lord he obviously decided to move to Edmonton because of something that will happen that will put all of the Earth in danger.
I honestly can't tell if that's David Tennant or Dallas Eakins photoshopped in. It's amazing how similar they look.

John McClane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:43 AM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFan View Post
Would the Oilers of been Better off with drafting Seguin over Hall and Landeskog over RNH? That would reshape that top 6 a bit.
No. The only mistake they made when drafting was taking Yak instead of Galchenyuk.

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Perron-Galchenyuk-Eberle

Their management and coach is terrible though. They need to trade for some 2-way players that can help them win right now.

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:43 AM
neutral*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
He was the greatest of all time at getting 1st overall picks. Edmonton def made a mistake by letting that man go.
Would you rather have been picking out of the top 10 and missing the playoffs anyways?

neutral* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:54 AM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFan View Post
Murray over Yak , but then Columbus chooses Galyenchuk so the Habs would have to deal with the Yak attack.

I think the Hall and RNH drafts were sound. The Nurse draft is good. They went out and got Perron but its like they expected to be better than they are.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:54 AM
thaman8765678

It's not the coaches fault his team is playing with no heart and doesn't try to play defense. Gutless effort after gutless effort you would think most of the team is playing hoping to get traded. Ference, Gordon and Belov have shown up most games but the rest of the bunch just go through the motions.

Think it's time for a major trade or two to shake the team up and wake them up (one of Eberle and RNH who have clearly checked out) along with a Yakupov/Hemsky in order to bring some defense and grit in.

Saw these same gutless efforts for the past two years with the Flames and trading Iggy and Bouw really shook up the mentality of the team and they all show up every game now(no more country club atmosphere). I think the Oilers are at the stage they need to try something like that.

thaman8765678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:57 AM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
You obviously don't know who Dallas Eakins is. I've been paying attention to him for a while now & I can say with 100% certainty that Eakins is actually a Time Lord and the 10th incarnation of the doctor. Here's a photo of him leaving the Tardis in Edmonton.

You don't just fire a Time Lord he obviously decided to move to Edmonton because of something that will happen that will put all of the Earth in danger.
Allons-y! It's pretty remarkable that they look similar. As a big WHO lover, I'm disappointed I didn't see this earlier.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 02:03 AM
AG
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Had to cut practice short due to "information overload" the other day...

So either his players are dumb or he's trying to build Rome in a day.

Eakins: Alright guys, so the concept is to skate back into our zone when you see the other teams opposition heading...

Yakupov: THIS IS TOO MUCH

AG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 02:05 AM
camboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
I think I'd go with this over 'we picked first in a bad year.' Their management team from top to bottom is a joke.
Tambellini and Lowe have set the Oilers back 7 years. It's that simple. Hopefully MacT can get them out of by wheeling and dealing some assets. Everything should be on the table available to the highest bidders. Top pairing dman, a starting tender, and gritty veteran wingers are required now...not next summer but now. It's not just a matter of winning games...it's a matter of protecting assets. Hall, Eberle, Nuge are at risk of being forever effected by the losing culture in Edmonton.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 02:05 AM
Ishdul

Quote:
Weird... I could swear four of their five goals tonight came from players under 26... Two point nights for Andersson and Kindl... Tatar with 3 goals in the last 3 games.

... Yet they blow at developing.

As for Chicago, they still had more vets than Edmonton does, and their 2010 roster is 10 times better than what Edmonton has managed to put together.
I didn't say they blow at developing, but you're talking about them as if they're continually busting out Datsyuks and Zetterbergs when that's not the case. Nyquist is in Grand Rapids, Smith has obviously had his struggles, Kindl certainly didn't have a quick and seamless transition and is still fulfilling the role of depth defenseman, Tatar has 3 points on the year and Andersson has 6. That's not necessarily on knock on their development, but that's not out of the ordinary production for young players in comparison to other teams in the league and it's not very relevant to what the Oilers should be doing as an organization with guys like Hall and Yakupov.

Chicago had a very small number of vets and a lot of people thought they were way too young to win it all, and when they had their breakout year in 08/09 they were actually a fair bit younger than the current Oilers.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 02:09 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

How long before Edmonton rebuilds the rebuild?

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 02:12 AM
Allen Degenerate
Rookie User

How many players have the Oilers gotten outside of the first round? Seems like they never have any new contributors that weren't drafted first overall.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 02:12 AM
Ishdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absent Canuck View Post
Murray over Yak , but then Columbus chooses Galyenchuk so the Habs would have to deal with the Yak attack.

I think the Hall and RNH drafts were sound. The Nurse draft is good. They went out and got Perron but its like they expected to be better than they are.
Yakupov was pretty clearly the best prospect in that draft so I don't know where you're going with this. Taking Murray over Yakupov would solve 0 of the Oilers current problems and create a few new ones.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 02:14 AM
dahrougem2

I think that Eakins is an awful coach and loved the fact that he went to Edmonton. All one needs to do is look at his atrocious system in the defensive zone. I've never seen such utter chaos in my life. Players are not taught to play defense that way at any level, be it minor hockey or the NHL. It simply will not work. Maybe in the AHL for him if you have a stacked team but not in the NHL.

With that being said, it isn't ALL him. I was listening to a Mike Babcock interview and he said something along the lines of teams should replace assistant coaches every couple seasons in order to keep things fresh and not make the players bored by hearing the same thing over and over again, even if the head coach is the same. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but, haven't Buchburger and Smith been there for over 7 years now? It's flat out shocking that they have lasted this long when the Oilers have gone through coach after coach

dahrougem2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 02:18 AM
Auger

Eakins should just give up on trying to teach players lessons and lean on the kids. They're already losing, at least show them that they're directly responsible for losing.

And on an unrelated note, the Oilers drafted the best possible players, there's no point in talking about missed opportunities, they can easily trade one of their stars for help in other areas.

Auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 02:19 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Eakins won't last much past Christmas unless the Oilers achieve a dramatic turnaround.

In way over his head, wasn't even remotely prepared, and sounds like a beaten man a month into the season.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 02:22 AM
wunderpanda

We now know why Toronto let him leave the organization, just another product of the Toronto hype machine.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote