HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Devils call-up Jon Merrill

Old
11-06-2013, 10:09 AM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

vCash: 500
He'll probably be back soon wearing a face shield.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 10:11 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
Looks like he never had one
With the way he was helped off the ice and had the case of the "spaghetti legs"... there's just no way he didn't suffer a concusion.

The last thing I'd trust if I was a pro athlete is our medical staff

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 10:15 AM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

I agree... Maybe that's why they are getting multiple opinions because he really did not look good or aware and conscious.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
With the way he was helped off the ice and had the case of the "spaghetti legs"... there's just no way he didn't suffer a concusion.

I've been knocked out cold (literally) from a hit and I didn't suffer a concussion. At least to the best of my knowledge. It's possible to get crushed on a hit and even lose consciousness without suffering a concussion. Not saying Merrill did or did not, but it's not definite.

Unknown Caller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 10:38 AM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

It would be really nice if he never suffered a concussion. A poster brought up a good point recently that if there's one thing I don't think Lou can lie about anymore it's concussions. With the protocols in place, the lawsuits in the NFL, and the transparency in the process there's very little Lou can do to hide it. So if we're being told no, for once, I believe we can accept that as truth.

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 12:53 PM
SteveCangialosi123

there's no way he did not suffer a concussion. maybe it was very minor, but it's really not physically possible with the amount of force he hit the boards he didn't suffer one at all. there's no real accepted medical definition of a concussion anyway, so doctors saying he didn't suffer one is meaningless. minor head injury = concussion and they have a cumulative effect regardless of if he's showing textbook signs of one right now.

SteveCangialosi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 01:29 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post

They made him go to a neurologist. They take head injuries really seriously now so I'll trust what they have to say.

EliasR8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 01:45 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
there's no way he did not suffer a concussion. maybe it was very minor, but it's really not physically possible with the amount of force he hit the boards he didn't suffer one at all. there's no real accepted medical definition of a concussion anyway, so doctors saying he didn't suffer one is meaningless. minor head injury = concussion and they have a cumulative effect regardless of if he's showing textbook signs of one right now.
I'm not a doctor so I won't speculate. But I can provide the NHL Policy so everyone can know what he passed (so maybe we feel more comfortable with the team saying he had no concussion):

Here are the official NHL test forms: http://sportsdocuments.files.wordpre...g?w=791&h=1023
http://sportsdocuments.files.wordpre...g?w=791&h=1023

The players are taken off the ice, into a quiet area, and are taken through the SCAT2 Exam using imPACT. The baseline, from what I've read, is pretty systematic. Granted, the test alone isn't sufficient and requires a doctor's opinion - the team doctor.

I just don't understand why the team doctor would lie or skew the results towards his favor. The Devils wouldn't rush him on the ice regardless.

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Khione
Swede or Turnip?

Well if the team doctor say that i got to believe it. But i think this is his first so it went over quick. His egg has been rocked.

Last edited by Khione: 11-06-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Khione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 03:50 PM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
I'm not a doctor so I won't speculate. But I can provide the NHL Policy so everyone can know what he passed (so maybe we feel more comfortable with the team saying he had no concussion):

Here are the official NHL test forms: http://sportsdocuments.files.wordpre...g?w=791&h=1023
http://sportsdocuments.files.wordpre...g?w=791&h=1023

The players are taken off the ice, into a quiet area, and are taken through the SCAT2 Exam using imPACT. The baseline, from what I've read, is pretty systematic. Granted, the test alone isn't sufficient and requires a doctor's opinion - the team doctor.

I just don't understand why the team doctor would lie or skew the results towards his favor. The Devils wouldn't rush him on the ice regardless.
I don't think anyone is lying, but this clearly effected his brain just by seeing how clueless and out of it he was after the impact. Regardless of any tests that were done, he suffered a head injury. Head injury that effects cognition/balance ≈ concussion and that can impact his future. I'm not worried, but I'm also not completely at ease because a team doctor said he was okay.

SteveCangialosi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 05:16 PM
NC107*

Devils Team doctor like Lou don't tell it all.

It is a Lou mandate. Finger on everything.

Control freak.

NC107* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 05:36 PM
njdevscup30
Boom Boom

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
I don't think anyone is lying, but this clearly effected his brain just by seeing how clueless and out of it he was after the impact. Regardless of any tests that were done, he suffered a head injury. Head injury that effects cognition/balance ≈ concussion and that can impact his future. I'm not worried, but I'm also not completely at ease because a team doctor said he was okay.
Agreed, he got a concussion, whether it was significant enough for IMPACT to tell him if he can play or not is another story. I'd err on the side of caution. Head injuries are pretty serious.

njdevscup30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Emperoreddy
In Ray We Trust

Odds are ya he did have a minor concussion. He also apparently had a lot of facial lacerations. Feel bad for the kid, what a messed up way to premier in the NHL.

Emperoreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Iceman78

Sorry to chime in with medical knowledge here, but there really aren't any "tests" for concussions. It's a diagnosis made entirely by clinical presentation. Concussions don't show up on x-rays, CAT scans, or MRI's. The neurologist can do some physical tests and mental tests---but the "tests" won't 100% confirm a concussion.

Given his wooziness when getting up and the sheer force of the impact though, I'd say there's a very good chance he has a concussion.

EDIT: They may be concerned even more given his history of a neck vertebra fracture. I think the Devils are smart here in following the current medical recommendation of "when in doubt, sit out".

Iceman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 05:48 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
From what I understand, the only "required" symptom needed to diagnose a concussion is memory loss. Everything else is at the physician's discretion.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Iceman78

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
From what I understand, the only "required" symptom needed to diagnose a concussion is memory loss. Everything else is at the physician's discretion.
Memory loss is not required for a concussion diagnosis---just as loss of consciousness is not required for a diagnosis. But of course, either of the two definitely supports a concussion diagnosis.

It's almost entirely at the physician's discretion. I know because I've had 2 concussions diagnosed, and as a medical student, one of my biggest interests is neurology.

Iceman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 02:56 AM
Khione
Swede or Turnip?

Status quo?

Khione is offline   Reply With Quote