HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Lindholm

Old
11-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Francis10

vCash: 500
Lindholm

I was really hoping we would have picked Monahan at #5 this past draft as he seemed more of a fit for us than Lindholm.

Lindholm has been invisible out there except for a couple nice plays on the PP.

What does everyone else think of his play so far?

Francis10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 11:30 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Clearly a bust.

Last night was his 9th game. I doubt he's going anywhere, but it's worth noting I suppose.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 11:35 AM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Terrible pick. Should have taken Nichushkin instead. Or moved up to draft Seth Jones instead. Fire JR!!!

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Novacane
My Hero

He's done perfectly fine given his role. He's made some really nice plays on the powerplay. Something a lot of regulars on the PP can't say.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 11:55 AM
bleedgreen

It was an ironic pick to me, jr had made it clear we wanted immediate help. They then chose the guy aside from drouin the last physically ready to play now. So now we are force feeding him into the lineup through injuries and generally inappropriate roles.

He's a project. Check back in 3 years, he should be a solid top 6 guy by then. Monahan is great but he is under different circumstances there. Truth is, I was positive we were going to take monahan and was totally ok with it. I wouldn't assume he'd be doing the same here as he is there. Lindholm needs some time and development for his style of game to work. Monahan was playing an nhl game already as it turns out.

Be interesting to see what we would do now if the draft was a do over. It's our style to want help now and take monahan, but I'm sure some of our scouts still see lindholm as the better prospect.

We need lindholms skill level desperately. You can see the playmaking already, and we lack it. Technically the staals are our monahan types which kinda makes him redundant with us.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
It was an ironic pick to me, jr had made it clear we wanted immediate help. They then chose the guy aside from drouin the last physically ready to play now. So now we are force feeding him into the lineup through injuries and generally inappropriate roles..
Yeah, I thought for sure JR was going take Monahan as well. My comment back then was:

Quote:
Look at the players JR goes after. Staal, Ward, Sutter, Skinner etc. IMO, Monahan may not have the ceiling of some of the other picks, but those other qualities and the thought that he can play next season are what makes him a "Canes Pick" to me. Doesn't mean he's the only player that fits that bill.
I would have been fine with that pick also. The closer we got to the draft, I came around more to Lindholm as well. Although he isn't a "contribute now" sort of guy, his vision, passing, etc.. is a skill this team lacks. We won't know for years if the pick was a good one or not.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I think Lindholm looks extremely promising. Every now and then he makes a really great play and over time he's going to be doing that more and more consistently.

11-03-2013, 04:24 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
I think Lindholm is being sold quite short. We've only seen a couple games of him in the top 9, and he does a lot of things quite well already. Playmaking without a finisher though doesn't stand out as much.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 05:56 PM

He's only played 9 games and 4 or 5 of those on the 4th line with limited minutes. Still way too early to pass judgement. Give him more time - he could still have a productive year this year. If he can develop some chemistry with Skinner, we could see decent number of points from him. And he's been one of the better players on the PP so maybe he sticks there.

42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 07:34 PM
TheOllieC
Leadership

vCash: 620
Lindholm is a stud. His vision is great and he seems to know what play to make next before the current one is over. He will be very good for years to come.

Nichushkin may be great as well but a player shouldn't dictate the choice of where they'll play. If the staff thinks they need AHL time or whatever then so be it. There's a reason he dropped to 10.

TheOllieC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 06:33 AM
QuitStaaling

Send a message via AIM to QuitStaaling
Lindholm is going to be a star in a few years with the right linemates. Judging be our pending top 5 draft picks in the coming years he'll have them.

Lindholm has developing, elite vision. It may not stand out, but he corrects passing errors all night long. I can see him making the players around him much better than they actually are.

QuitStaaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 07:52 AM
bleedgreen

I like how smart he is on his angles. On the forecheck he gets pieces of pucks pretty frequently from his positioning and tenacity. I get the talk of his two way game.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:55 AM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

vCash: 50
agree that time will tell and there is alot of promise showing. how he is developed and used, being put in situations that play to his strengths and in positions to succeed, should help him in becoming a solid player down the road.

rocky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Joe McGrath

He's already, at worst, the second best passer on the team. Sure, that's because they have about 18 guys that can't pass worth ****...

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 10:01 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Practicing with Gerbe and Jordan today. Guess that's not a shut down line anymore.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 10:08 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
He's already, at worst, the second best passer on the team. Sure, that's because they have about 18 guys that can't pass worth ****...
Now you're just exaggerating. He's the 4th best passer on the team at worst, we have 16 who can't pass worth ****, and 2 that don't pass all that often but are capable of it. (only kindof)

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Francis10

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Practicing with Gerbe and Jordan today. Guess that's not a shut down line anymore.
Good to hear. Might as well give him a shot on line 2 to see what hes got.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Havoq

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
We need lindholms skill level desperately. You can see the playmaking already, and we lack it. Technically the staals are our monahan types which kinda makes him redundant with us.
This. Keep in mind, the kid is only 18 and still has many more years of development. Especially with a player that lacks the size and physicality of many players in the league, it is going to take him some time to adjust his game and work on the "NHL level" vision that will take him to the next level.

When we took him, I didn't think he would be an "instant contributor" - nor do I think management believed he would. He is definitely a project. I personally think 5 years from now, he will be in the top 3 best picks of this draft.

Havoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 01:32 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis10 View Post
I was really hoping we would have picked Monahan at #5 this past draft as he seemed more of a fit for us than Lindholm.

Lindholm has been invisible out there except for a couple nice plays on the PP.

What does everyone else think of his play so far?
This post is hilarious given your user name. When we drafted him, Ron Francis was playing junior until November while a few guys selected directly behind him played in the NHL right away. If the internet were around back in 1981, there would probably be a similar post at the beginning of November 1981 about how we should have passed him up for one of the guys behind him who started off in the NHL right away. Making any long term judgment about Lindholm and our draft after 1 month is so ridiculously premature I don't even know what to say.

And sometime it's not even bad to be invisible. Skinner at times during the last 3 years has been pretty visible but not for all the right reasons. At least Lindholm has shown he knows what to do in his own end and that he knows how to battle for pucks (unlike, say, a Boychuk or Dalpe). He's also a great skater. Basically, he has done all the little things right so far. Monahan has definitely produced more than Lindholm so far, but right now Monahan is having his minutes cut and he is being sheltered big time. The exact opposite is happening to Lindholm.

Last edited by vwg*: 11-04-2013 at 02:02 PM.
vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Now you're just exaggerating. He's the 4th best passer on the team at worst, we have 16 who can't pass worth ****, and 2 that don't pass all that often but are capable of it. (only kindof)
When did they officially sign DiPietro?

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Francis10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwg View Post
This post is hilarious given your user name. When we drafted him, Ron Francis was playing junior until November while a few guys selected directly behind him played in the NHL right away. If the internet were around back in 1981, there would probably be a similar post at the beginning of November 1981 about how we should have passed him up for one of the guys behind him who started off in the NHL right away. Making any long term judgment about Lindholm and our draft after 1 month is so ridiculously premature I don't even know what to say.

And sometime it's not even bad to be invisible. Skinner at times during the last 3 years has been pretty visible but not for all the right reasons. At least Lindholm has shown he knows what to do in his own end and that he knows how to battle for pucks (unlike, say, a Boychuk or Dalpe). He's also a great skater. Basically, he has done all the little things right so far. Monahan has definitely produced more than Lindholm so far, but right now Monahan is having his minutes cut and he is being sheltered big time. The exact opposite is happening to Lindholm.
Never said I didn't like him, I was just hoping we picked Monahan over him as he seemed to be a better fit for the Canes. Yes I also know it has only been 9 games, just getting a feel for what the fans think of him. Take it easy.

Old
11-04-2013, 04:10 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
When did they officially sign DiPietro?
Semin, Skinner, Murphy, then Lindholm (IMO of course); that said I wouldn't be shocked if Lindholm ends up being the best playmaker the org has had in a while... and I don't think it will take that long to happen either.

Old
11-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Semin, Skinner, Murphy, then Lindholm (IMO of course); that said I wouldn't be shocked if Lindholm ends up being the best playmaker the org has had in a while... and I don't think it will take that long to happen either.
Sekera is a good passer also. Faulk also can be and even Hainsey isn't too bad. Problem is, our forwards are either not moving their feet or trying for a long stretch pass behind the defense so there is frequently nowhere for the D to pass to. Murphy uses his skating to open up some passing lanes which allows us to see his passing ability.

I do agree though, Lindholm looks to have some really good playmaking ability. A couple of times, I've seen him put a pass into a nice spot in front of the net only to have nobody there. At first, I thought he was rushing it a bit and making a bad pass, but as I see more of him, it's just not yet being on the same page as his linemates. That will come.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:28 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

The not moving their feet thing is prettymuch the #1 problem with our forward group so far this year. Not sure if they're simply not fast other then a select few, and with Ruutu and Eric coming off injuries that's certainly possible right now, or if the effort simply isn't there.

The vision that Lindholm has is just unreal. I honestly really want to see us try him with Skinner as soon as Jeff's back and 100%.

Old
11-04-2013, 04:30 PM
dogbazinho

Lindholm is fine. As long as he stays away from the skill sucking Dwyers of the team he should develop into something this team desperately needs, playmakers. Come to think of it, this team also needs power forwards and finishers. Basically it needs less Dwyers.

dogbazinho is offline   Reply With Quote