HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Colorado Avalanche are 15-5-0

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Semyon Says
grocery stick

vCash: 527
avs are 4 wins away from matching their win total from last year...
let that sink in for a second

Old
11-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Kahuna Nanu
Old & Slow NYR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Galchenyuk is so strong on the puck. When you have that skill level with that willingness to battle, you're going to be a very good player.
And the size to back it up. Galchenyuk is going to be amazing. So are Eller and Gallagher. Too bad everyone else on their offense is worthless, apparently. They're lucky they have two of the best offensive defenseman on the league, ones that can also run a good powerplay. They need to add offensive depth badly.

11-03-2013, 03:06 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Dallas is not in the same time zone as Denver...

Old
11-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Crisp Breakout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcruz View Post
You guys also have to remember that the core of the team is built of young players. They look at the leader and follow his passion, fire and determination to prove himself to the league.

If he had been brought in as the head coach of Detroit, the player would look at him and tune him out instantly.

It's a great combination. If the Avs can get some success this season, they will gain a lot of confidence in themselves, each other, and in their coach. Next season's Avalanche could be Western Conference finalists.

The skill is there, and the mental aspect of the game is being built very solidly right now. These will be players that other teams will look to acquire should they become available any time in the future.
There's no reason to think Detroit would tune him out... They also are committed to puck possession, safe passes, team defense and tight checking. I think the difference would have been that Roy wouldn't have pulled his first game stunt. The guy just gets the game, he always has. He is able to make the right adjustments and say all the right things. He doesn't get the guys' respect by fear, it's by having something insightful to say.

Old
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
Dallas is not in the same time zone as Denver...
Traveling FROM THE SAME TIME ZONE as Montreal was traveling from.

Old
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Avs didn't play back to back at home - they played the second half at home, but they also travelled (from the same time zone) the night before.
Ah sorry I missed that game and for some reason assumed that it was played at home. Probably because of Roy's comments about Varly playing at home last week.

Old
11-03-2013, 03:12 PM
KCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseyes View Post
They'll come back down to earth at some point.
Some games, they've played great. But, beating Dallas and then Montreal, who are the punching bags of the east. Hardly anything amazing. Even Edmonton can beat that team. lol.

Their schedule has been really easy so far, only facing 4 good teams so far the entire season. Beating the Ducks in the first game of the season which doesn't really say much. First game and all. They lost to Detroit, beat Pittsburgh when they had no business in doing so and beat Boston, barely. Too small of a sample at the moment.

Their schedule has consisted of facing the Leafs, Stars (2x), Jets, Hurricanes, Buffalo and Montreal. And it's not like Nashville or Washington had been playing very well either in the beginning either. Credit for winning, but they've faced a lot of non playoff teams so far. Let's see how they do against good teams like San Jose or the good teams that have woken up. If they can hang, hey I'll eat crow, but I'm not convinced they're even close to good as their record indicates.

Old
11-03-2013, 03:15 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Culture and change at the top has been huge. The reason why Avs fans were so exited from the beginning of summer becuase we knew the fog sucking the life out of the franchise was gone.

Bringing in Roy has been brilliant too. I thought he was going to be a good coach but the man is a wizard at the game. So many things people might not notice if they don't follow the team. The game planning the players just rave about, the way he works them very hard in practice, listens to their ideas for strategy and line combos, his extreme attention on the bench, communicates things to his players during the game, his adjustments going into the third period have all been very effective. He's very meticulous about who to pair up and how to get the best out of each player. His ideas of how the team of 5 on the ice is both equally responsible for offense and defense. Their roles are defined and they all know what is expected of them. He uses video extensively to gameplan and to show the players what he wants out of them and what he likes and wants to see more of. None of this sounds particularly inventive or earth shattering but when contrasted with Sacco who seemed like he did absolutely the minimum possible it's just night and day.

The Avs are finally seeing their talent use their potential and it's very exciting to see. I really have no expectations, I'm just enjoying every second of it.

Old
11-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Nazemlupul

Unsustainable they'll come back down to earth sooner or later.

Old
11-03-2013, 03:19 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
Some games, they've played great. But, beating Dallas and then Montreal, who are the punching bags of the east. Hardly anything amazing. Even Edmonton can beat that team. lol.

Their schedule has been really easy so far, only facing 4 good teams so far the entire season. Beating the Ducks in the first game of the season which doesn't really say much. First game and all. They lost to Detroit, beat Pittsburgh when they had no business in doing so and beat Boston, barely. Too small of a sample at the moment.

Their schedule has consisted of facing the Leafs, Stars (2x), Jets, Hurricanes, Buffalo and Montreal. And it's not like Nashville or Washington had been playing very well either in the beginning either. Credit for winning, but they've faced a lot of non playoff teams so far. Let's see how they do against good teams like San Jose or the good teams that have woken up. If they can hang, hey I'll eat crow, but I'm not convinced they're even close to good as their record indicates.
Or you know Anaheim, Boston and Pittsburgh. And Montreal has 16 points and in a playoff spot. Just becuase Edmonton blindly found a nut against Montreal doesn't mean they are a crappy team. Toronto and their crappy 20 points too.

Old
11-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

When people say we're coming down to earth, what does that mean exactly? Top 5 pick? top 10 pick? Miss playoffs? Bubble playoff team position? etc.

Old
11-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Landeslog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Traveling FROM THE SAME TIME ZONE as Montreal was traveling from.
I mis-read you as well. Your phrasing really made it seem like you meant that the Avs weren't at that big of a disadvantage because while they traveled it was from the same time zone

Old
11-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Landeslog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
When people say we're coming down to earth, what does that mean exactly? Top 5 pick? top 10 pick? Miss playoffs? Bubble playoff team position? etc.
This. Because if "coming back to Earth" means bubble playoff team I'd be THRILLED with that. And that's what I think will happen. As do most Avs fans.

If it means top 5 pick that's just ridiculous.

I see this run as padding for our push for the 7-8 later in the season. Not a trend that will continue the whole season

Old
11-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseyes View Post
They'll come back down to earth at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbler View Post
Plan the parade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazemlupul View Post
Unsustainable they'll come back down to earth sooner or later.
Thank you for the detailed analysis.

Old
11-03-2013, 03:24 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeslog View Post
I mis-read you as well. Your phrasing really made it seem like you meant that the Avs weren't at that big of a disadvantage because while they traveled it was from the same time zone
That and 9/10 people don't know what time zone Denver is in.

Avs fans are hoping to take third in their division. We know we are not winning the President's Trophy. At this point there is no need to apologize for or discount the success of the team. It's an incredible run and I wouldn't expect ANY team to keep winning at that kind of pace.

Old
11-03-2013, 03:26 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post

OF COURSE THEY AREN'T! Nobody thinks this Avs team is going to win the President's trophy, so I don't really see why it matters if we have played Chicago, LA, or San Jose yet. This team is going to be gunning for that 3-4 spot in the Central division which means we need to be better than Winnipeg, Minnesota, Nashville, and Dallas. Other than Minny, we've played and beaten all of those teams. Those games are the most important to our playoff hopes.

Old
11-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
That and 9/10 people don't know what time zone Denver is in.
Trust me - I'm sitting in it.

Old
11-03-2013, 03:28 PM
crue7

Unsustainable/fall back to earth(?)/outplayed by most teams/Corsi

Which one is it?

Old
11-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Avs have a good start and that's a good building block considering last season.

But a good finish is what we're all looking for.

Old
11-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Nihiliste

Still need probably about 73 more points to make the playoffs in he west. Still super early but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Old
11-03-2013, 03:44 PM
pcruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeslog View Post
This. Because if "coming back to Earth" means bubble playoff team I'd be THRILLED with that. And that's what I think will happen. As do most Avs fans.

If it means top 5 pick that's just ridiculous.

I see this run as padding for our push for the 7-8 later in the season. Not a trend that will continue the whole season

I would be shocked if they didn't make the playoffs. The team is learning what it takes to win. It's something you don't forget. Most players will start to slack off and cut corners here and there, and a head coach with no fear of confronting his stars will step in and tear a piece off the player.

Patrick Roy is a man who knows he has more leeway than his players in his current team. If Patrick decides to publicly call out anyone on the team, the fans, and the organization will back him more than they would the player (just hypothetical, not that I think he should/would)

The players know this, and they also know he has the team's best interests at heart. He will risk ridicule and criticism if it means alerting everyone else that he'll fight for the players. They are not going to let that go unnoticed, and have collectively rallied behind their coach.

Some coaches (Torts) yell, scream, insult, and create a circus around them, but do it the wrong way. That leads to the team ignoring the coach. Patrick has done it the right way so far.

He has also shown that he understands the game. Not only as a player, but he understands the abstract that is the game. I won't say he's the best coach in the league, but he is the correct one for a young team coming off a lousy season. And as he gains NHL coaching experience, if he doesn't lose his fire, this guy will shoot up the ranks of top coaches.

Old
11-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

The NHL record for points in a season is 132. Avs are on pace for 151 points.

It's not that bold a prediction that they will fall back to earth. It's pretty much inevitable. What we don't know if where they'll end up.

Old
11-03-2013, 03:49 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 326
Im happy with the start so i'll ride this high for as long as possible. Oiler fans saying the Habs are punching bags in the east haha.

Old
11-03-2013, 03:52 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

Definite surprise of the season so far and, if the Avs so much as avoid a complete collapse and manage to make the playoffs, Roy's got to be the prohibitive favorite for the Jack Adams.

For selfish reasons, I hope that they fall off come playoff time.

2010 - 2013 - 2015 Chicago Blackhawks | 2016 Chicago Cubs - EAMUS CATULI! AC0000000
Old
11-03-2013, 03:54 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everbeast

vCash: 127
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Roy has them playing team defense, and they have an explosive offense. He has the makings of a great coach right now.

Landeskog and Duchene are both evolving into stars. Landeskog is facing the other teams best players every night and coming out on top, with offense to go with it.

And while he's flying under the radar, Erik Johnson is playing amazing. He and Hejda have shut down the other teams best players every game.

Closed Thread