HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Colorado Avalanche are 15-5-0

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2013, 05:46 PM
danielpalfredsson

vCash: 500
I'm calling it now, three cups in four years. You can quote me on that in 2018.

Old
11-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Fropitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalfredsson View Post
I'm calling it now, three cups in four years. You can quote me on that in 2018.
Quoting you on "that".

Old
11-04-2013, 08:22 PM
ozzie

Much as I hate Roy, the guy is a winner. He strikes me as a guy who won't settle for anything other then being successful. That obviously comes through in his coaching.

I like the way he is handling his younger players and giving responsibility to guys that really aren't that old. He is showing a lot of confidence in Duchene and Landeskog.

Their top 6 forwards rate pretty well compared to other teams, their depth down the middle is pretty good.

Really their defensive depth is their weakness, they remind me a little of Carolina in 2006. They aren't flashy but they are playing a good safe system.

Roy deserves a lot of credit, but I think any decent coach would have been stepping into a good situation. The team was headed for a turn around to compete for a playoff spot.

Roy might have them competing for an even higher spot, very impressive. Coach of the year maybe to add to his impressive awards?

I am not Avalanche fan, but I find myself watching more and more of their games. Pretty exciting team, fans should be happy.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:25 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippy625 View Post
Bubble team once they get come down to Earth and off their Roy high, witch they will sometime this month.
Let's hope those wicked witches never come back down to Earth.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Let's hope those wicked witches never come back down to Earth.
Seems like the witch month would have been last month, so I assume that the Avs are in the clear.

It's based on actual math!

Old
11-04-2013, 09:52 PM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
So?

Rangers are 4-1-0 in the last 5.
Avs are 5-0 in their last 5. 6-0 in their last six, and 12-1 in their last 13.

Your point?

Old
11-05-2013, 01:06 AM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

It's a real bummer coming in here and reading all these "it's unsustainable" and "they will come back down to earth" posts.

It's really killing my "the Avs are going 80-1" vibe that I have right now.

Old
11-05-2013, 01:17 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
So?

Rangers are 4-1-0 in the last 5.
Yeah because that's comparable to the team that picked first overall last year winning 12 of 13 games to start the year

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
11-05-2013, 01:25 AM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

I saw the Avs in person in Pittsburgh and was very impressed with how disciplined they were. They were outshot but played a solid defensive game.

I think the players are scared of Roy also

Old
11-05-2013, 01:25 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 Chiefs View Post
Yeah because that's comparable to the team that picked first overall last year winning 12 of 13 games to start the year
Everyone knew they were playing below their level last year, as people should understand they're playing above their heads so far this year.

Old
11-05-2013, 01:53 AM
seancolorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
I saw the Avs in person in Pittsburgh and was very impressed with how disciplined they were. They were outshot but played a solid defensive game.

I think the players are scared of Roy also
Disciplined, yes, but other than that that game stood out to me as the Avs' weakest

Old
11-05-2013, 01:58 AM
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

vCash: 130
As much as I hated Scratcho and wanted him fired in Jan 2011, at least they got landy and mackinnon.

This month will be a real test for the avs. Lots of tough teams and not too many days off. I'll be happy if they go 9-5 for November especially with Tangs out.

I'm really just glad that this team is playing a lot better than the past few years. It's amazing what good coaching and good scouting picking up unwanted and hungry players will do. This team is way beyond ahead of schedule. With a lot of cap space to keep the core signed for the long term and a now attractive place to play for FA wanting to play on a winning team that can probably contend in the near future, there's not much not to like for avs fans.

Old
11-05-2013, 02:01 AM
meedle

This team feels like the Blackhawks, when all their guys were young 2 years before they won their first cup.

Old
11-05-2013, 02:28 AM
Dylonus

Not to be that guy, but wasn't it like, two years ago that the Wild had the best record at Christmas time; only to miss the playoffs?

Old
11-05-2013, 05:51 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Not to be that guy, but wasn't it like, two years ago that the Wild had the best record at Christmas time; only to miss the playoffs?
The Wild had to deal with some key inuries iirc but yes, those things can happen. Tanguay is injured now so at least I'm expecting this great run to end very soon. However, I think they will win more games than they lose and keep a playoff spot.
The people who're saying Avs are playing above their head or are already playing playoff hockey haven't seen them. They are not simply outworking the opponents. Neither is it only goaltending although that was the case in a few games at the start of the season.

Sherman, Sakic and Roy have put a good team together. Sherman made a few mistakes last year but they were able to fix those, starting to do so at last season's trade deadline. Also, it's not only Roy who's doing a great job as a coach. The whole staff is extremely good. Even their video coach was a head coach in the Q a season ago. The result is a good mix of veterans and very talented young players who know what to do to win.

Old
11-05-2013, 09:27 AM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Quote:
That Wild team unfortunately lost 5 of their top 6 forwards at one point. They would have probably come down to earth but there's no way they would have missed the playoffs without that crazy stretch of injuries they endured.

Old
11-05-2013, 09:41 AM
beardedgraf

I saw them play in Dallas last weekend, they looked good in the first but a bad Dallas team owned them the rest of the game, Avs still won. I really thought it was going to get ugly for the Stars

Old
11-05-2013, 09:43 AM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedgraf View Post
I saw them play in Dallas last weekend, they looked good in the first but a bad Dallas team owned them the rest of the game, Avs still won. I really thought it was going to get ugly for the Stars
lol the second period was pretty even and obviously the team down 2-0 heading into the third is going to make a push. The Avs absolutely dominated OT from puck drop to finish with the Stastny snipe.

Old
11-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
You guys have a really good first line with Benn and Seguin, that was the only line which did anything against us effectively due to some breakdowns in the third.

Old
11-05-2013, 09:58 AM
AvsfanJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
lol the second period was pretty even and obviously the team down 2-0 heading into the third is going to make a push. The Avs absolutely dominated OT from puck drop to finish with the Stastny snipe.
Not gonna lie, I was praying for a shoot out. I wanna see MacKinnon and Dutch go toe to toe with the goalie.

Old
11-05-2013, 10:02 AM
alpine4life

everywhere Roy went he won... he kept a good record as a owner/president/GM/coach of a junior team, which are known to rebuild every few years... which means that he knows how to run a hockey franchise

The respect for this guy is there from every executive in the hockey world and his own players... I dont see Roy being a loser anytime soon

Old
11-05-2013, 10:11 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Yes and its possible for that to happen to the Avs aswell. In the mean time let us enjoy this run. We have gone 5 yrs of absolute **** hockey so let the Av fans have fun. No Av fan is saying were winning the cup, nobody is planning the parade in fact an Av fan didnt even make this thread.

Old
11-05-2013, 10:40 AM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

LOL...people are starting to believe, and everyone went into god damn hysterics when I made this thread 2 weeks ago. Our defense is way better then most people realize, including our own fans. We aren't allowing hardly any QUALITY scoring chances and the 2nd chances just aren't there. Good goaltending and a coach that has instilled belief in his players, sure they will level out soon, but anyone that thinks this is a fluke still is only lying to themselves. This is a damn good team.

Old
11-05-2013, 11:11 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
The Stars have given us the toughest games from any West team thus far.

Old
11-05-2013, 11:11 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
LOL...people are starting to believe, and everyone went into god damn hysterics when I made this thread 2 weeks ago. Our defense is way better then most people realize, including our own fans. We aren't allowing hardly any QUALITY scoring chances and the 2nd chances just aren't there. Good goaltending and a coach that has instilled belief in his players, sure they will level out soon, but anyone that thinks this is a fluke still is only lying to themselves. This is a damn good team.
Breath little one, this start has been amazing, but we've had a lot of things go well for us, from relatively good luck with health, MacK picking up points early so that the pressure didn't start to build up so he's been able to keep developing out of the limelight, Sarich's disaster-games not biting us yet. Wilson not costing us as he was getting into form, etc. This team has been playing damn well, and they could keep the play up, if not the results, but there's still a lot of season left for the kids to get a little worn down, lose their focus or for injuries to hit us like they have been the past ∞ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
The Stars have given us the toughest games from any West team thus far.
Lehtonen is so nasty.

Closed Thread