HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kondratiev is quietly making a case for himself

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2003, 10:07 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Kondratiev is quietly making a case for himself

BY JEREMY SANDLER CanWest News Service—Toronto

Russia’s Maxim Kondratiev (right) checks Switzerland’s Andrei Ambhul during their world junior hockey championship game in Sydney N.S., Dec. 31, 2002. Kondratiev, who helped Russia win gold in the tournament, has been one of the most pleasant surprises in the Toronto Maple Leafs’ training camp this year.

Much-hyped youngsters who play for the Toronto Maple Leafs usually have a difficult time avoiding the media spotlight.
Impressive performances in practices and exhibition games led Maple Leafs coach Pat Quinn this week to make a heady comparison between Maxim Kondratiev and such accomplished NHL blueliners as Dmitry Yushkevich and Danny Markov.

Despite the tongues set wagging by the native of Togliatti, Russia, the 20-year-old’s contribution to clips for the local press corps had been nil.

Thursday, for the first time, Kondratiev spoke. Sort of. Apart from the words ‘‘hockey,’’ ‘‘defencemen’’ and ‘‘nyet,’’ Toronto reporters had no hope of understanding directly from the mouth of the sweaty and wide-eyed youngster, but still aimed their microphones and camera lenses at their foreign quarry in his first full-blown scrum.

‘‘He’s got a lot of different words, Marlboro and vodka usually,’’ insisted fellow Russian Alexander Mogilny, who was pressed into service as interpreter for his countryman.

‘‘He believes in himself and he always knew that he could do it,’’ came the first answer filtered through Mogilny when someone asked Kondratiev about his first NHL training camp.

Challenged on the exactness of his translation, the ever wry Mogilny fessed up to some polishing of the youngster’s words.

‘‘No he didn’t ‘say that’, but I’ve got to make it look nice,’’ the winger/translator said before relaying another set of questions and answers.

‘‘Obviously he can do everything he can and he’ll be happy to stay here,’’ came Mogilny’s next translation, showing that the standard North American sports cliches are a universal language.

Quinn impressed

While the interview was not all that expansive, Kondratiev’s play thus far has spoken volumes. Coach Quinn, while still unsure what role the player selected 168th overall in the 2001 NHL entry draft might have with the Maple Leafs this year, he reiterated how impressed he has been with the youngster’s play thus far.

He also indicated that part of his successful conversion to North America will be picking up more English, whether he plays in Toronto or with the farm team in St. John’s.

‘‘Over the years I’ve experienced lots of guys that come in and the language barrier is difficult at the start,’’ said Quinn, praising current Leaf imports Tomas Kaberle and Nik Antropov for improving their language skills. ‘‘Going back to when we first brought Igor Larionov and Vladimir Krutov out, one guy — Krutov — didn’t care about it and one guy — Larionov — did, and he’s still here.’’

Besides an impression on his coach, Kondratiev has also impressed his teammates, including captain Mats Sundin, who said the Russian had been one of the team’s best performing rearguards through the pre-season. And while Sundin, a centre, can not relate to trying to learn the rules of engagement for an NHL defenceman, as a Swede sent to play for the Quebec Nordiques in 1990 he understands the culture shock facing Kondratiev.

‘‘Socially, it’s a challenge,’’ said Sundin, who could speak English when he arrived in the NHL, something he said helped a lot. ‘‘I was the only Swedish player in Quebec City, but I it doesn’t matter what nationality, if you have good people in the room.

‘‘I think with having Alex here and some of the other European players, hopefully it’s going to be better for him and I think the most important thing for him is that he gets to know the language as fast as he can and gets to speak English. Just to get friends and get him by in the community.’’

Mogilny gave a qualified endorsement of Kondratiev’s performance with the media.

‘‘Because he talked to me, he doesn’t have to do all the answers, but I think he handled himself good,’’ said Mogilny, who added he is willing to help Kondratiev as best he can, but that’s not the ideal scenario for integration.

‘‘The more he tries on his own, the better for him it’s going to be.’’

Old
09-27-2003, 10:34 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Nice article. I was looking forward to seeing him play some more this year, but it doesnt look like itll happen with the Klee signing. I just *hope* he doesnt opt to go back to Russia as his clause stipulates. The Leafs should tell him that hes in their long term plans.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:46 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

ya i hope kondratiev and hedin dont go back to europe

Old
09-28-2003, 07:00 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i like the idea that we could call them up anytime if theyre on the rock

Old
09-28-2003, 07:04 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
i like the idea that we could call them up anytime if theyre on the rock

Old
09-28-2003, 10:28 AM
ArtVandelei

Too many guys on the rock if both Max and Pierre go there. Hell, even if one of them goes there.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:05 AM
roaddogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelei
Too many guys on the rock if both Max and Pierre go there. Hell, even if one of them goes there.
I agree the rock in itself will be hard for these prospects to get quality minutes, with colaiacovo, Bell, Kondratiev, Hedin, Harrison, Kelly, Moro, Chartier and not to mention if Pilar is healthy again.

Old
09-28-2003, 12:43 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

thats not too many

they can always loan a few to another ahl team

Old
09-28-2003, 12:56 PM
ArtVandelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddogg
I agree the rock in itself will be hard for these prospects to get quality minutes, with colaiacovo, Bell, Kondratiev, Hedin, Harrison, Kelly, Moro, Chartier and not to mention if Pilar is healthy again.
Also, I think Ian White and Turon, no? That's definately too many.

Old
09-28-2003, 01:41 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelei
Also, I think Ian White and Turon, no? That's definately too many.
Ian White still has another year in Swift Current.

Turon could play for St. John's but is more than likely headed for Memphis.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:19 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
They were briefly discussing this today on Mojo. It seems likely that Kondratiev won't make the team b/c of the klee signing, and Im inclined to believe he would use his contract option and go back to Russia instead of play with a packed St. Johns roster. Heck, maybe the Leafs would request he opted to go back. Thats not to say he won't be a part of this team's future, but perhaps another year of playing with men won't hurt. Obviously, you lose out as he doesn't gain the experience of the North American game he could otherwise get in St Johns (as well as the fact that he could be used as an injury callup). And you have to factor in the ice time he'd get in either situation as well.

Should be interesting to see where Max plays this year.

Closed Thread