HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate 2 enchaned edition

Old
03-15-2012, 08:56 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

vCash: 500
Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate 2 enchaned edition

It sounds like they are updating these 2 games with more modern graphics and some new content. I haven't played the original Baldur's gate since it first came out and I never played the second. I do love how tactical the combat is though. (very much like DA:O).

Any interest in this? I think it could be interesting especially if it's priced correctly. I would like to play the second game in the series in any case.

http://kotaku.com/5893670/baldurs-ga...erver-explodes

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:09 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

As I mentioned in the other thread, not really interested at all. I don't want the current Bioware/EA anywhere near the originals. If it was just a graphics update that's one thing but the "new content" could be totally out of place.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
As I mentioned in the other thread, not really interested at all. I don't want the current Bioware/EA anywhere near the originals. If it was just a graphics update that's one thing but the "new content" could be totally out of place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTAKU
Looks like there will be enhanced versions of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II, including expansions, lovingly enhanced by a team that includes folks that worked on the original titles. Both games will use an udated version of the Infinity Engine with "a variety of modern improvements".
We shall see.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

As I have said before I think BG2 is the greatest game of all time and I am really excited for this. EA/Bioware has nothing at all to do with it if I am reading everything correct. http://www.dualshockers.com/2012/03/...ion-announced/

I have bought BG at least 4 times over the years and BG2 more (now I have them digitally), and I will buy them again with this update. As well as a "master plan" that may include a BG3 by the writers of the original... droooollll....

Belamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Osprey

Last night, I was looking through my old files and found Baldur's Gate savegames from 1999. That was interesting.

I might be interested in enhanced editions. I've been thinking for the better part of the last decade that I'd like to revist the games (particularly because I didn't get as much out of them the first time around), so this would be a good incentive. It'll really depend on how they do the enhancement. I'm reading that it'll be using an updated version of the original engine, so 3D may be out. Perhaps they'll just use the same artwork and allow for widescreen and slightly higher resolutions (making the artwork slightly smaller, but more of the game world visible). I'd be on-board with that, since it'd still look and feel like the original games. I'm also open to more of a graphics overhaul, but if I don't feel like I'm playing the original game, I may just prefer to play the original, instead. We'll have to see.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Captain Awesome

"Modern improvements" is usually a euphemism for "we will **** everything you loved about this game by dumbing it down and streamlining it for a more profitable and dumber audience".

I would buy this at full price if all they did was simply update the graphics a bit. Good luck on that though, the hand painted backgrounds are gorgeous, and minus some of the dated looking effects, animations, etc. I think they very much stand the test of time.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:01 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I would buy this at full price if all they did was simply update the graphics a bit. Good luck on that though, the hand painted backgrounds are gorgeous, and minus some of the dated looking effects, animations, etc. I think they very much stand the test of time.
Yeah, there is a certain beauty to the infinity engine games that is not matched. And if you throw on the widescreen mod for the IE games it looks even better.

Old
03-15-2012, 11:15 PM
parabola
BOlieve dat

I bought both recently and don't know what I would change.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Osprey

Quote:
"Modern improvements" is usually a euphemism for "we will **** everything you loved about this game by dumbing it down and streamlining it for a more profitable and dumber audience".

Beyond widescreen and higher resolution, like I mentioned before, I'm guessing that "modern improvements" will mean, for example, removing the archaic "Deathbringer attacks and does 4 damage to Rat" window text and, instead, having a large "-4" float over the target when the attacker attacks, like modern RPGs have. They may also put health indicators over enemies and friendlies so that you can see how close to death they are. Another thing might be to float question marks over quest givers and exclamation marks over quest completers. All of these would be "modern improvements" that I think most people wouldn't mind or would even welcome, since they're the convention in RPGs nowadays.

Old
03-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
I never played the games, although they are on my list, but I was thinking the same thing. I first read "graphics update" in an article and thought "woooo!" Then I also saw "game mechanics upgrade" and I thought, "Ugghhhhh..."

I'm sorry but the way games have gone, "modernizing" a classic is only bad news. Graphics is one thing, but to change the game mechanics, no thanks. Even after the enhanced version comes out, I'll still probably end up buying the originals.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:34 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Beyond widescreen and higher resolution, like I mentioned before, I'm guessing that "modern improvements" will mean, for example, removing the archaic "Deathbringer attacks and does 4 damage to Rat" window text and, instead, having a large "-4" float over the target when the attacker attacks, like modern RPGs have. They may also put health indicators over enemies and friendlies so that you can see how close to death they are. Another thing might be to float question marks over quest givers and exclamation marks over quest completers. All of these would be "modern improvements" that I think most people wouldn't mind or would even welcome, since they're the convention in RPGs nowadays.
I liked the archaic role messages in the original games, gives you a better idea of how the system works within the DnD rules. But for the rest of the suggestion ugh, maybe that's convention in MMORPG's thanks to WoW but you don't usually see much of those things in single player RPG's, like The Elder Scrolls or The Witcher.

For what they can do to improve it? Could be tough but I'd love it if they could cut the gap between the two games and make it a smooth in-game transition from beating Balder's Gate to 1ending up in Jon Irenicus' dungeon to start Balders Gate 2. Just turn it all into one huge game.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I liked the archaic role messages in the original games, gives you a better idea of how the system works within the DnD rules. But for the rest of the suggestion ugh, maybe that's convention in MMORPG's thanks to WoW but you don't usually see much of those things in single player RPG's, like The Elder Scrolls or The Witcher.
The Elder Scrolls and The Witcher are a different kind of RPG, though. Baldur's Gate is more like Dragon Age: Origins (party-based, combat-pausing 3rd-person), which, I believe, did have the things that I mentioned. If they were to bring Baldur's Gate up to DA:O's presentation level, I think that most people wouldn't mind, since DA:O was universally praised.

Last edited by Osprey: 03-16-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old
03-16-2012, 03:21 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
It sounds like they are updating these 2 games with more modern graphics and some new content. I haven't played the original Baldur's gate since it first came out and I never played the second. I do love how tactical the combat is though. (very much like DA:O).

Any interest in this? I think it could be interesting especially if it's priced correctly. I would like to play the second game in the series in any case.

http://kotaku.com/5893670/baldurs-ga...erver-explodes

I have box editions of BG1 and BG2, and that Bioware-packed Forgotten Realm Collection (BG series, IWD series, NWN 1).

However, even if it's a very slight improvement, I'll get this too.
It's my favorite series, and it was the first game that really drew me into the whole RPG genre.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:34 AM
kingsholygrail
Smug

They will George Lucas it. Mark my words.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
They will George Lucas it. Mark my words.
God I hope not.

Apparently they've got most of the guys who created it in the first place working on it.

So.... Graphic touch-ups and maybe a bit of extra content, and I'll be happy.

Old
03-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
The thing I would hope for is they fix the pathfinding. I can't stand playing RTS games because I tell someone to go to the choke point and they spend 10 seconds humping some rubble and then the enemy is through the choke before my guy gets there.

Or we could just pretend that old technology was flawless and everything bad in the world started in 2007. It's the Internet, so of course we'll do that.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Why is everyone freaking out about Bioware and EA? Bioware doesn't have rights to make Wizards of the Coast games anymore.

Atari and Overhaul Games are doing the enhanced edition.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Some more info...

Quote:
Fortunately, Trent Oster, the big hondo at BGEE studio Beamdog, has let a few more details slip by way of his personal Twitter account. It turns out that there will actually be two games, BGEE and BG2EE, also known as the Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition. The first game will include the original Baldur's Gate plus the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion; BG2EE will include Baldur's Gate 2 plus the Throne of Bhaal expansion. It's the whole shebang, in other words, plus new content including new characters with new voice actors.

But Oster also made it clear that all the important bits will remain untouched. All the original voice files are in the game, so everyone will sound like they're supposed to, and the game will be entirely isometric 2D. It will also continue to make use of the 2nd edition ruleset, as the original Baldur's Gate games did, and the music is being left as-is because it's already so epic.

A few other details of note: The game is being built on the "Infinity Advanced" engine based on the last Throne of Bhaal build, meaning that all the enhancements from that game will be included in this one. It will be a digital-only release through Beamdog, although the studio is "putting some thought into" a Steam release as well, and while it's currently a PC exclusive, Oster hinted that other platforms could be announced next week. The studio is "trying hard not to break mods" and at this point the save game formats are the same, so you might even be able to make use of those old saves you've kept lying around for the past decade. You still have those, right?

Imports from BG1 to BG2 will be supported, controllers will not be supported - this is mouse-and-keyboard only, as it should be - and if you want a truly authentic BioWare experience you can play with just the original content and ignore all the new stuff, although I think that'd be kind of silly. More details will presumably be forthcoming and Oster said some screenshots are on the way as well, hopefully next week

Old
03-18-2012, 01:49 AM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

now this is a kickstarter fund that I would donate to.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/baldurs-gat...1220929p1.html

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 06:25 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Some more info...
That's all fine and good, most of it is reassuring actually. But it's still the new content that has me most concerned. I have a feeling a lot of it will play a lot like some of the garbage fan mods for BG2. Totally out of place. Now if they had an option to disable the added content like an extended edition blu-ray that would be pretty sweet.

Last edited by SniperHF: 03-18-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old
03-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Captain Awesome

The funny thing about the game being released on the TOB engine is that there's already a mod that makes BG1 use the BG2 engine, on top of it it fixes the path finding for the most part. Kind of interested to see where this thing goes, I'm not sure how enhanced a game using a really, really old engine can be, especially one that was made the way BG was.

Not sure I'd want to give my money to an unknown company to make BG3 either, but I guess we'll wait and see how these two turn out.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
That's all fine and good, most of it is reassuring actually. But it's still the new content that has me most concerned. I have a feeling a lot of it will play a lot like some of the garbage fan mods for BG2. Totally out of place. Now if they had an option to disable the added content like an extended edition blu-ray that would be pretty sweet.
Apparently, these are some of the guys the worked on the Mask of the Betrayer thingy for NWN2 - easily the best post-BG story and characters in the Bioware era.

But yeah, as long as it's in the spirit of BG, it's gonna be awesome.

Old
03-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 50
Quote:
The funny thing about the game being released on the TOB engine is that there's already a mod that makes BG1 use the BG2 engine, on top of it it fixes the path finding for the most part. Kind of interested to see where this thing goes, I'm not sure how enhanced a game using a really, really old engine can be, especially one that was made the way BG was.

Not sure I'd want to give my money to an unknown company to make BG3 either, but I guess we'll wait and see how these two turn out.
I'm hoping that there's a gigantic upgrade to that engine. I'd love it if they kept the same field of view, but increased the pixel count of the maps and characters by like a factor of 8.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:26 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Apparently, these are some of the guys the worked on the Mask of the Betrayer thingy for NWN2 - easily the best post-BG story and characters in the Bioware era.
Know any of the particular names? I couldn't find any. Most of those guys are still at Obsidian. Especially the key players on the creative team.

Trent Oster seems to be the front guy and he worked on the first NWN primarily, and very limited involvement in 2 since he wasn't working at Obsidian.

Old
08-03-2012, 03:49 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

http://www.baldursgate.com/windows.en.html

Coming out September 18th, on BG2:ToB engine - meaning all classes and subclasses from ToB - new content, new NPCs, etc.

Funny, this has me more pumped than anything this year except maybe Dark Souls. And it's 1998 game.