HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Defensive help to Ottawa

Old
11-04-2013, 11:06 AM
benjiv1

vCash: 500
Defensive help to Ottawa

What would is cost to acquire the following players:

Stephan Robidas (UFA at end of year)
Rusty Klesla (UFA at end of year)

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:11 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

For Rusty, I'd ask for either Stone, Prince, or Puempel.

IPreferPi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:15 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
A steep price for a UFA.

11-04-2013, 11:18 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
I would do Prince or Puempel, not sure about the rest of the fan-base. LOL (If Ottawa could negotiate an extension with Klesla first)

What about a M. Michalek for Klesla?

Last edited by benjiv1: 11-04-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old
11-04-2013, 11:20 AM
TheNewEra

if ottawas trading for defensive help they are probably going to go for someone that is signed for atleast 2 years if not more and someone younger than 30 so they could be part of the core going forward. the price will be higher for the defenceman in this grouping but as with the ryan deal it seems like we ottawa would be willing to pay the price for the right player

TheNewEra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Djp

Looking back over past deadline deals...defensemen like those cost a 2nd+ B prospect or a 2nd + 2nd/3rd/4th/5th

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:25 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewEra View Post
if ottawas trading for defensive help they are probably going to go for someone that is signed for atleast 2 years if not more and someone younger than 30 so they could be part of the core going forward. the price will be higher for the defenceman in this grouping but as with the ryan deal it seems like we ottawa would be willing to pay the price for the right player
Klesla is only 31, and Ottawa has an excellent track record of extending acquired players. (former Captain excluded LOL )

Old
11-04-2013, 11:27 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Pelton View Post
A steep price for a UFA.
Even with our deep defensive corps, Rusty is still an invaluable part of stabilizing our blueline, esp. during shutdown situations. If Maloney wanted to trade him for just a draft pick to clear up the logjam, he certainly could have by now. Klesla would be a Top 4 D on a lot of teams other than Phoenix, regardless of injury history. The far inferior (IMO) Doug Murray netted 2 2nds, Klesla is easily worth that price.

Milan for Klesla is certainly possible, though I think that move would be executed pretty close to the deadline for salary reasons.

Old
11-04-2013, 11:35 AM
TheNewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
Klesla is only 31, and Ottawa has an excellent track record of extending acquired players. (former Captain excluded LOL )
i realize klesla isnt that old, an an extension could work but with the sens love for current senators and wanting to show loyalty to them the arguement can be made just to extend phillips so we will have 6 defenceman under contract for next season in which case it makes no sense to pay such a high price for someone we are going to allow to leave via ufa

(yes i know how bad phillips has been, and unless he comes at an amazing discount, i dont want him back, but management needs to realize that)

personally if we are trading for a defenceman i feel the defenceman that we would be looking at would be in the category described above and we would be sending one of wiercioch/gryba in the deal along with a top prospect (price,peumpel,stone,lazar (dont want to trade him)) at minimum, would probably need to put in another prospect in said deal

Old
11-04-2013, 11:43 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewEra View Post
i realize klesla isnt that old, an an extension could work but with the sens love for current senators and wanting to show loyalty to them the arguement can be made just to extend phillips so we will have 6 defenceman under contract for next season in which case it makes no sense to pay such a high price for someone we are going to allow to leave via ufa

(yes i know how bad phillips has been, and unless he comes at an amazing discount, i dont want him back, but management needs to realize that)

personally if we are trading for a defenceman i feel the defenceman that we would be looking at would be in the category described above and we would be sending one of wiercioch/gryba in the deal along with a top prospect (price,peumpel,stone,lazar (dont want to trade him)) at minimum, would probably need to put in another prospect in said deal
Like mentioned above, we could flip UFA for UFA. (Michalek for Klesla)

Also, I could be wrong, but I think Klesla and Methot played as a pairing in CBJ...

Old
11-04-2013, 11:55 AM
TheNewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
Like mentioned above, we could flip UFA for UFA. (Michalek for Klesla)

Also, I could be wrong, but I think Klesla and Methot played as a pairing in CBJ...
i would be very happy with that trade(which basically means the coyotes would want no part of it haha)

and the reasoning makes sense in terms of pairing and chemistry but the only way a deal like that makes sense is if we are shipping a defenceman out in a deal right away to another team(since sending a defenceman back to phoenix makes no sense)

reason im saying this is, lets say for arguements sake the deal happens, next year we have the following defenceman all signed
karlsson
cowen
methot
wiercioch

and have these guys as FA
Klesla
Phillips
Gryba

phillips i have a bad feeling is going to be resigned, and if we resign gryba he is going to want a raise, out of the two in that scenario(klesla/gryba) i would want to keep klesla so all im saying is that it would make sense to ship out one our two young defenceman now for the sake of value. it would suck for us to get an upgrade on defence only to see him walk to perceive loyalty (phillips) and youth movement (gryba)

obviously i along with everyone would prefer ottawa getting a defenceman from the category that i described earlier and i do feel that is what we should be looking at but if we can get someone at a reasonable price while at the same time shipping out a defenceman for decent value im all for it

Old
11-04-2013, 11:59 AM
tsipka

So you guys dont want Volchenkov back?

tsipka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:10 PM
SupermanPahlsson

Fistric for Da Costa...?

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Vesa Awesaka
PuempeltoBorotoAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPahlsson View Post
Fistric for Da Costa...?
Ottawa kinda needs 3-4 dmen we have Wier, Gryba, Cowen, Corvo, Boro all capable of playing 5-6. Might be something to consider if we dont plan on resigning phillips.

Vesa Awesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Benny FTW
k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPahlsson View Post
Fistric for Da Costa...?
Fistric is a lesser Gryba. No thanks.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:15 PM
bossram

Apparently Niskanen is available. He's younger, solid all-around defenseman.

bossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:26 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Even with our deep defensive corps, Rusty is still an invaluable part of stabilizing our blueline, esp. during shutdown situations. If Maloney wanted to trade him for just a draft pick to clear up the logjam, he certainly could have by now. Klesla would be a Top 4 D on a lot of teams other than Phoenix, regardless of injury history. The far inferior (IMO) Doug Murray netted 2 2nds, Klesla is easily worth that price.

Milan for Klesla is certainly possible, though I think that move would be executed pretty close to the deadline for salary reasons.
Would Maloney even listen to Murray? Last time the two traded, it didn't turn well for Phoenix.

Joking aside, the 2 2nds were at the deadline not in November.

Murray will try to improve his D before mid-December. Maybe another GM is waiting for Mark Stone to come back from injury?

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 03:46 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Would Maloney even listen to Murray? Last time the two traded, it didn't turn well for Phoenix.

Joking aside, the 2 2nds were at the deadline not in November.

Murray will try to improve his D before mid-December. Maybe another GM is waiting for Mark Stone to come back from injury?
GMDM ultimately flipped Turris for Rundblad and Vermette. Vermette has been great overall and is a beast in the dot, and although the jury is still out on Rundblad's future as a Yote, his defense has improved considerably and he has gotten some playing time recently. Obviously the Sens are happy with Turris. A win-win for both clubs.

The potential is still certainly there for a future move involving both clubs.

Old
11-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

"The Daily Chirp- A struggling team means that today’s Daily Chirp is a little more current that the last couple. Rumours were swirling a little bit over the weekend that the Sens may have talked to the Phoenix Coyotes about Milan Michalek. The Yotes need wingers and have plenty of defenceman, which is an area of weakness for the Senators right now. Something to keep an eye on."

Old
11-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Kaibur

I like the idea of a Michalek for Klesla trade base. As has been said, the problem is the contract difference. At the deadline, that wouldn't be as much of an issue, but if you want to make the move right now, there might have to be other pieces moving for financial reasons.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

I would trade Michalek for Klesla or Niskanen. Both make a lot of sense for either team involved (maybe salary could be retained)

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:34 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Counter with Jimmy O’Brien.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:36 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Klesla isn't worth Michalek… would have to be Stone

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:41 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
No interest at all.

Old
11-04-2013, 06:04 PM
TheButler117

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
Didn't Jim O'Brien clear waivers recently...

TheButler117 is offline   Reply With Quote