HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamonic Thinks the Defense is Fine

Old
11-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Hamonic Thinks the Defense is Fine

http://islanderspointblank.com/islan...ks/#more-43787

Being that the Isles defense has been criticized as one of the team’s weaker points of play, Hamonic was asked if this was a game that can help build confidence going forward. But just like he does on the ice, Hamonic was very quick to defend his teammates.

“You guys are going to write that our d-core is this and our d-core is that but honestly I think that it’s kind of BS (Mod Edit),” said Hamonic.

So what do you think of Hamonic's comments?

11-04-2013, 12:15 PM
kasper11

What is he supposed to say, we suck?

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
What is he supposed to say, we suck?
I would like him to at least be honest. Something along the lines of; We're getting better but there have been struggles, and we're adjusting to different roles with guys getting injured and stuff. We hope to get better and better from here on out.

But don't sit here and tell me or Isles Country that all is well on the backend.

Homeland Security is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:22 PM
StrongIslanders90

this is a bunch of Bull**** lol I love the kid but the Defense is not fine...

They played well the last 2 games but this is not a "Playoff" defense

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:24 PM
PoPo22

If this is the defense fine I really don't want to seed them at their worst.

PoPo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:33 PM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
He really can't say anything other than this, so that's not really surprising that he'd say such a thing. It would be scary if this is them considered at their best though...

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:37 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPo22 View Post
If this is the defense fine I really don't want to seed them at their worst.
Hopefully we've already seen them at their worst.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:39 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

shows leadership to take it personally and defend the teammates. Gotta love the Hammer!

I hope he makes Team Canada. He's been excellent this year and he's showing some offense, carrying the puck more. Maybe he's not among the best seven or eight Canadian defensemen, yet, but he's close.

What a sweet contract for such a player who's just 23.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:42 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
shows leadership to take it personally and defend the teammates. Gotta love the Hammer!

I hope he makes Team Canada. He's been excellent this year and he's showing some offense, carrying the puck more. Maybe he's not among the best seven or eight Canadian defensemen, yet, but he's close.

Surprisingly Team Canada has A LOT of very good right-handed defenseman, which makes it much harder for Hamonic. I don't think he has a shot to make it because of that. If he was a left-handed shot, possibly.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:46 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

Agreed, you have to love his fire and it really shows how much he cares about his teammates. He's the cornerstone of the defense and it's nice to see him acting like it. He's the fire to the ice of Tavares. Although Johnny has been noticeably feistier this year.

I'd love to see him on Team Canada and if they fill out the roster by certain roles, he could definitely help them. Just for the Russia game, consider Malkin rendered ineffective if Hammer is there.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:48 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
I would like him to at least be honest. Something along the lines of; We're getting better but there have been struggles, and we're adjusting to different roles with guys getting injured and stuff. We hope to get better and better from here on out.

But don't sit here and tell me or Isles Country that all is well on the backend.
The title is misleading, he was pretty much saying that the defense has been good in the past 2 games, which is true.

Quote:
But you guys are going to write what you’re going to write and I thought our d-core had a pretty good game tonight. We’re happy with who we have back there as a group. We’re not stupid, we see what things are written about us as a d-core but we’re going to go out and we’re going to play hard and I think we did a really good job tonight as a six-man unit, as we did last night to be quite honest with you. I think we’re a young group out there but we’re starting to play better. We demand a lot of each other and all of that outside pressure is what it is, and that’s all it is.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Talain
Hit the Road Jack!

He's not going to actually bash his teammates. We all know damn well that Carkner should be a healthy scratch on most nights, but no one on the team is going to actually come out and say that. It would be extremely unprofessional.

Talain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 01:38 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Expecting anything different? It is his defense so he will get defensive about it.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 01:42 PM
startainfection

i think the defense is fine when lubo and strait are healthy

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Wedregast

vCash: 50
I'm in the column of, "What else is he supposed to say to someone outside the locker-room?" For him to say otherwise would be a slap in the face of his team mates. What he says in the presence of the team-only I'd imagine might be quite different.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

The sad thing about this (and I agree with the above poster that the title is somewhat misleading) is that Hamonic really hasn't been all that great this season. I honestly think that is less about him and more about the role that he has been forced into. He is NOT a number 1 dman. He may not even be a #2.

11-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Islanderfan17

Don't mind what he said at all, he is trying to motivate our defense and stick up for them. I'm sure they know that they weren't great before the past 2 games, it was pretty clear that they must have worked on some things in those practices after that crappy string of games.

If they can at least give the effort they have the past two games, we should be OKAY to make the playoffs with the offense we've been getting.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:03 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
The sad thing about this (and I agree with the above poster that the title is somewhat misleading) is that Hamonic really hasn't been all that great this season. I honestly think that is less about him and more about the role that he has been forced into. He is NOT a number 1 dman. He may not even be a #2.
You definitely have a point. I love Hamonic and I think he's been great, but he is prone to mistakes, specifically poor coverage, not as much giveaways like MacDonald. Hamonic is forgiven for the same mistakes that Carkner, Donovan, Hickey and MacDonald are crucified for.

I think he's a solid top pairing defenseman who would be on most, if not all, NHL teams. Much like I've complained about Tavares' linemates, Bailey's linemates (except last year and this year), Hamonic hasn't been blessed with a complementary defender as his partner thus far in his young career.
Hamonic has been thrown to the wolves as much as anyone, and he's responded. He's only 23 yet he's counted on as much as any defenseman in hockey, in the toughest role, shutting down top forwards.

If he's not an all-star this year, he'll be one very soon.

Hamonic, much like other players like Bailey, Nielsen, Okposo, will get much more recognition if the Islanders win some games, a playoff series or two. And it's a top dman and goalie that are what the Isles need.

Old
11-04-2013, 02:09 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
i think the defense is fine when lubo and strait are healthy
They still need one more guy to be a competent defense.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:26 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I disagree. Hamonic is having a great season imo, if you look at his +/- you wouldn't think so. The +/- stat is very misleading, Hamonic was on the ice for A LOT of soft goals let in by Nabokov this season. An example would be the Canucks game when he was a -2 on 2 VERY soft goals. He was also a -3 vs the Sens and Nabokov wasn't good at all. His partner has been brutal with the turnovers, getting beat a lot to the outside, and losing puck battles along the boards.

People are too obsess with "this player isn't a #1 dman or #2 dman". Hamonic can ABSOLUTELY play on a top pairing, Amac obviously can't. Hamonic is playing 25 minutes per game against the other teams top lines, usually always wins the battles along the boards, makes a good first pass breaking out of the zone. He's still pretty young, only 23, 1 month older than JT.

I still think the problem with the defense isn't just the defenseman, its the forwards as well. The wingers haven't been in good position in the defensive zone, they pinch way too deep, they should be up higher by the point. They have a tough time getting the puck out of the zone. I blame the coach for that though. An example of this is from the Sens game on the Bobby Ryan goal. A lose puck goes into the corner, Hamonic and Ryan go hard after it, Hamonic gets to the puck first and passes it off the boards. PMB is way out of position, Regin is their to get the puck out of the zone and fails to do so which leads to a goal.

Last edited by 19NYSports91: 11-04-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old
11-04-2013, 02:48 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post

The owner is never forthcoming...The GM is never forthcoming...And you expect the players to be forthcoming...?

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 03:17 PM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
I disagree. Hamonic is having a great season imo, if you look at his +/- you wouldn't think so. The +/- stat is very misleading, Hamonic was on the ice for A LOT of soft goals let in by Nabokov this season. An example would be the Canucks game when he was a -2 on 2 VERY soft goals. He was also a -3 vs the Sens and Nabokov wasn't good at all. His partner has been brutal with the turnovers, getting beat a lot to the outside, and losing puck battles along the boards.

People are too obsess with "this player isn't a #1 dman or #2 dman". Hamonic can ABSOLUTELY play on a top pairing, Amac obviously can't. Hamonic is playing 25 minutes per game against the other teams top lines, usually always wins the battles along the boards, makes a good first pass breaking out of the zone. He's still pretty young, only 23, 1 month older than JT.

I still think the problem with the defense isn't just the defenseman, its the forwards as well. The wingers haven't been in good position in the defensive zone, they pinch way too deep, they should be up higher by the point. They have a tough time getting the puck out of the zone. I blame the coach for that though. An example of this is from the Sens game on the Bobby Ryan goal. A lose puck goes into the corner, Hamonic and Ryan go hard after it, Hamonic gets to the puck first and passes it off the boards. PMB is way out of position, Regin is their to get the puck out of the zone and fails to do so which leads to a goal.
agree with you there BUT - forwards are coming in to help out in low end partially because the D were doing poor job with initial outlet passes putting pucks in skates and not clearing properly. Making poor decisions and mishandling pucks. Very jumpy looking to me. Improvement I saw in the Bruin game was a result of much quicker reads and better positional play and execution. Regardless of improvement, they still were hemmed in their own end bit too much for my liking.

I have no problem and like Hamonic's reaction but the truth is that the d has not been a strength of this team. We're a couple of years out before we get help from the young guys coming up unless we get the help outside of organization.

Last edited by On Edge: 11-04-2013 at 03:22 PM.
On Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 03:30 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post

Weird, I disagree with the bolded. I think that is his biggest flaw to be honest. He is better at skating the puck out of the zone then passing it. Especially during a pk, he always struggles to get it out. Agree with the rest though for the most part.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 03:56 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
The owner is never forthcoming...The GM is never forthcoming...And you expect the players to be forthcoming...?
so. what you're saying is.......HF is the only "forthcoming" this team has ever known?

feels kinda special.

Old
11-04-2013, 04:01 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Weird, I disagree with the bolded. I think that is his biggest flaw to be honest. He is better at skating the puck out of the zone then passing it. Especially during a pk, he always struggles to get it out. Agree with the rest though for the most part.
When I said Hamonic makes a good first pass breaking out of the zone, I meant when the forwards are also in the defensive zone. Not the long passes when the forwards are in the neutral zone. He really hasn't made those passes a lot this year anyway, he's been carrying the puck up the ice instead or just gives it to Amac. I agree though, that is definitely something he needs to work on. Hamonic's my favorite player so I focus on him a lot when he's on the ice. If your not watching him closely you won't notice the little things he does great at.