HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

And with the 13th pick the Sabres select..... ?

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
And with the 13th pick the Sabres select..... ?

I was hoping for a lot better than lucky 13, but I'm sure there's going to be some great prospects available.

One thing to keep in mind is that Europeans are now subject to the same draft rules as CHL players regarding reentry and free agency. They have to be signed in 2 years or their rights are gone.

Old
07-22-2005, 04:27 PM
djhn579

vCash: 500
I was also hoping for much better than 13th (#1 would have been nice... ), but on the way to work this morning, I was thinking we would probably end up somewhere between #12 and #14.

Old
07-22-2005, 04:27 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Brian Lee
Ryan Parent
Luc Bourdon

Old
07-22-2005, 04:30 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

For my 201st post, I'd just like to say

Pittsburgh can just bite me.

Old
07-22-2005, 04:33 PM
djhn579

On a side note, was anyone else disgusted watching that on MSG and having to put up with the NYR commercials?

I miss Empire...

Old
07-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Tra La La

I don't really Like That spot. If the Oportunity arose to trade it for a good young Defensemen, I'd do that.

Old
07-22-2005, 05:15 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Jean-Sébastien Giguère was a 13th pick

Old
07-22-2005, 05:19 PM
cybresabre
Sir Hellcat

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
giguere eh?

we could use another goalie...

Old
07-22-2005, 05:30 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre
giguere eh?

we could use another goalie...

I know we have always had a plethera (sp) of goalies in our system, but say we trade a biron or noronen and call up miller to start or be backup, who do we have left in our system goalie wise? What happend to Majors anyway? I'd rather see us draft a quality D-man and a power forward, but another goalie wouldn't be bad imo.

Old
07-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Slangston

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader Zim
I don't really Like That spot. If the Oportunity arose to trade it for a good young Defensemen, I'd do that.
I agree.

Besides Johnson, I'm not overly excited about any of the defensemen that are slated to go in the 1st round. Dangle that pick around...See if you can get a young defenseman for it. If not look to trade up to get a crack at one of the better offensive players in the draft.

Can't find a deal then I'd like to see the Sabres one of these guys.

Marek Zagrapan - Center
Alex Bourret - Right Wing
Kenndal McArdle - Left Wing
Niklas Bergfors - Forward
Guillaume Letandresse - Left Wing

Knowing Darcy and company, they'll probably stand pat and select Brian Lee or Ryan O'Marra if they're around. Sabres have been hot for collegiate players as of late. O'Marra sounds like the typical Buffalo draft pick, safe two-way player with little offensive upside.

Old
07-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
I bet Bourret goes right before Buffalo, and the Sabres land Latendresse. I'd be fine with that.

Old
07-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Jame
Dream '16

im not thrilled with the 13th spot, as far as drafting a defensemen. i'd be ok with Bourdon though. he might be available around 13

Old
07-22-2005, 06:00 PM
Rowley Birkin

Parent or Bourdon... both seem solid but pretty uninspiring choices. Its a very weak draft for D after all...

Like others it seems, i hope Latendresse falls to us... he could be a risk, but has size, heart, decent skills. Either him or Zagrapan, who seems a hit or miss type as well. And he plays C.

Why would we draft O'Marra or Bourret though.... we probably have enough 'safe, two way, but limited in skill' young forwards to put an entire U23 team on the ice. It wouldn't suprise me to see Regier grab one of these guys if theyre there though....

Trading the pick seems like a good possibility as well, and was actually the first thing i thought of. Maybe package the pick along with something else enticing?

Old
07-22-2005, 06:16 PM
KariyaIsGod*

I see nothing wrong with selecting Luc Bourdon...

Old
07-22-2005, 06:26 PM
KariyaIsGod*

I see nothing wrong with selecting Luc Bourdon...

Old
07-22-2005, 06:31 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Typical though,that Buffalo who finishes in the middle of the pack gets a mid round pick,while Pittsburgh,who sucks every year gets another ****ing 1st overall pick.They are the most undeserving team,I say if Buffalo ever looks to be out of the playoff contention by December,just tank to get top talent...Florida and Pittsburgh do it,why not Buffalo?

Old
07-22-2005, 07:18 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I'm still trying to figure out how Pit had 3 balls in the lottery. Didn't they take MAF 1st overall?

I do like Bourdon and Parent, though they both seem rather McKee like. The more I think about it, the more I wouldn't mind seeing the Sabres take an offensive guy...Hanzal, anyone? Or maybe Forsberg, err, Bergfors.

Old
07-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan
I'm still trying to figure out how Pit had 3 balls in the lottery. Didn't they take MAF 1st overall?

I do like Bourdon and Parent, though they both seem rather McKee like. The more I think about it, the more I wouldn't mind seeing the Sabres take an offensive guy...Hanzal, anyone? Or maybe Forsberg, err, Bergfors.

Pitt traded for that pick. Florida won that lottery and it counted against them.

I hate to say it, but at this point in the round I just say best player not named Ryan O'Marra available.

Old
07-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan

The more i think about it, i agree. JJ would have been great, but there is no other D that is really that attractive. But we should only get a forward if they are a skilled, high ceiling type.

Latendresse would be a great fit, if he falls. It was the same last year with Tukonen... i really liked him, and couldn't believe he fell so far, and then the Kings took him right before we picked. Still mad we didn't take Mezsaros or another D though, since it was a good crop.

Looking at the draft order though, not takin into account any trades:

Crosby, Brule, Kopitar, Pouliot, Johnson, Ryan will be easily out of reach

I can also see Marc Staal going before 13, and Carey Price aswell {we don't need a goalie!} Another guy that should go before 13 is Skille.

That leaves us a group of possibles: Bourdon, O'Marra, Zagrapan, Hanzel, Parent, Lee, Latendresse, Bourret, Bergfors. I say that our guy at 13 is one of these, for sure. Unless we trade down, or completely out of the 1st round, that is.

Old
07-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
At this point, I would almost rather see them deal the pick as part of an attempt to bolster the blueline. IF they decide to keep the pick, someone no one here has mentioned is Brendan Mikkelson. It could be possible for him to slip to 13 and give the Sabres a solid 2-way prospect on the blueline. Good size, skating and positioning.... ack. Reads like Kevin Haller part two.

Adam Cogliano is intriguing, simply due to his skill level. The knocks on his defensive zone play... well... defense can be taught. Size is a knock too, but the kid has wheels and a solid shooting arsenal by all accounts... things that make for smaller guys' success when coupled with drive.

I can see the Sabres taking Martin Hanzel... just because he reminds me of so many other middle of the road, good at a lot but not great type picks that they make out of the European leagues. Granted, it would also be typical for them to go with size over skill/quickness now that the league is hell-bent to move toward skill/quickness over size. Always leading the way, eh Darc?

07-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
The more i think about it, i agree. JJ would have been great, but there is no other D that is really that attractive. But we should only get a forward if they are a skilled, high ceiling type.
Sadly, Don Luce is still running the draft and after 15 years, his philosophy of safety has seeped into the very fibre of Sabre scouting/

Quote:
Latendresse would be a great fit, if he falls. It was the same last year with Tukonen... i really liked him, and couldn't believe he fell so far, and then the Kings took him right before we picked. Still mad we didn't take Mezsaros or another D though, since it was a good crop.
I just can't see him falling. Wish I could.... Another item to consider is that the Sabres have already snubbed his oft-time linemate L.P. Martin. Not sure if that would color either the Sabres brass (maybe they've actually seen him play) or him regarding the pick. Eh, just something for colour.

Quote:
Looking at the draft order though, not takin into account any trades:

Crosby, Brule, Kopitar, Pouliot, Johnson, Ryan will be easily out of reach

I can also see Marc Staal going before 13, and Carey Price aswell {we don't need a goalie!} Another guy that should go before 13 is Skille.
I'd love to see Skille fall. Not all that tall, but he's got a solid frame and all the tools. I just can't see it.

Quote:
That leaves us a group of possibles: Bourdon, O'Marra, Zagrapan, Hanzel, Parent, Lee, Latendresse, Bourret, Bergfors. I say that our guy at 13 is one of these, for sure. Unless we trade down, or completely out of the 1st round, that is.
Something that could help would be Rask and Price going into the top dozen. Chicago is in a great position for one or the other, depending on preference, and Vancouver should be IMHO in the running for the other. With your list above (Crosby, Brule, Kopitar, Pouliot, Johnson, Ryan) and the two netminders, that's 8 picks out of the top 12. After that is the group of Skille, Zagrapan, Bourrett, Mikkelson with perhaps one of them still free come 13. If it's Zagrapan, I'll be awefully upset when they pass on him to take O'Marra.

Old
07-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Jack Skille could still be there at #13
Touted as a 'Bill Guerin' type of player, Jack Skille is the focus of this edition of the Red Line Report.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/colum...08_104413_5812
Quote:
- Ht/Wt: 6-1/208
- Position: Left Wing
- Shoots: Right
- Birthdate: May 19, 1987
- Team: U.S. National Under-18
- Scouting Report: Dominant power winger is a true horse who owns everything below the circles. Has great skating speed and is strong as an ox. Overpowers defenders who get in his way. Wants the puck on his stick at crunch time in tight games. Has a heavy shot coming off the wing. Defensively responsible and a terrific two-way player. Excels on both the PP and the PK unit. Has really improved his puckhandling and willingness to compete hard every shift. Very complete package.
ISS has him ranked 13th and lists him as a RW

Old
07-22-2005, 10:35 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I would like to see us draft a Center, and with good size too.

Old
07-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
I would like to see us draft a Center, and with good size too.
B.P.A.

Though my experience of Luce/Benning and "Best Player Available" also usually involves me muttering to myself, grinding my teeth and the occasional outburst of profanity.

Old
07-22-2005, 10:41 PM
sabrefan27

Fox Sports has us taking Alex Bourret.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3821944

Closed Thread