HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Taking a dive

Old
11-05-2013, 08:40 AM
3Fs

vCash: 500
Taking a dive

I would like to see how other fans feel about this.

I feel so embarrassed when I am watching a game and one of our players throws his head back and drops to the ice like a sack of potatoes. When he gets up he is feeling his face looking for blood and all you see is a little red mark. By the way they hit the ice you would swear they got side swiped by a shooting star.

I think its an embarrassment to the game also. If they want to play a sport that involves acting, perhaps wrestling is the place for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvo0BjYOyG4

If a ref thinks that the player is acting or making it seem so much more than it is, should have the ability to impose a 4 min minor for faking and delay of game. Game gets interrupted for this crap and they have trainers coming out on ice and everything. But if they know they may get penalized, this may cut back on the garbage.

The player who tapped a player can still get 2 mins for high stick or whatever. But player getting shot in the face gets 4mins.

I believe this would keep the acting crap out of hockey and let those men play like men and stop trying to draw a penalty embarrassing the game.

This all is just my opinion and all I am doing is seeing how other people feel on subject and possibly post some great videos of the actors.

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
Giroux flops way to often.

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

I think the NHL should just start reviewing video and fining players that dive during games. Then if they do it enough start suspending them.

It's too much to ask of the refs I think.

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 09:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Everyone dives. I hate it, but it happens. The worst is when guys get hit going into the boards and lay there trying to draw a penalty. That leads to so many unnecessary boarding calls and overreactions by the league with safety measures and suspensions. I remember one game Danny Briere laid on the ice while the play went the other way after getting hit along the boards. He laid there way too long trying to draw the penalty, then got up and quickly skated to the bench and was back for his next shift. Meanwhile, the other team was already back in the offensive zone essentially on a 5-4 power play. Get up and play, don't try to draw a penalty with poor acting!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 09:15 AM
JustJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
Giroux flops way to often.
So does Hartnell.....but with Hartnell, it's only because he's a lousy skater and doesn't belong on the ice with the real players.

I could actually see Hartnell switch over to the WWE with McMahon.

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 09:18 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

My fantasy football and soccer team names are Football is For Girls and Futbol is For Fems, respectively.

Please, hockey players, do not go down the road of the football and futbol players.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 09:27 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Except that most soccer players are more athletically gifted than 90% of the players on a football field in any given game.

But yeah diving is lame.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Prongo
Beer

Getting hit in the face with a stick is notfun even when you get tapped. Its more scary then painful, thats why some players react the way they do. Not saying they dont dive, but its just a scary expierence. Just from my personal expierence while playing the game

Last edited by Prongo: 11-05-2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Lol at my post from the phone
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew8 View Post
I think the NHL should just start reviewing video and fining players that dive during games. Then if they do it enough start suspending them.

Agreed. In real time it's hard to call unless it's truly blatant. After the fact fines would do the trick...maybe scale it up to a one game suspension if you repeat enough.

As Prongo mentioned though, high sticking would be hard to enforce. How much of it is instinct trying to get you away from the object coming at your face?

11-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Except that most soccer players are more athletically gifted than 90% of the players on a football field in any given game.

But yeah diving is lame.
Really?

Over here in the UK it is generally acknowledged that all the athletically gifted kids play rugby!

Guys like Ronaldo, Walcott, Bale, Micah Richards, Lukaku, Benteke etc are obviously freaks, but the majority would be blown away at the gym or track by any football player not on the O line.

Did you ever hear about Michael Schumacher training with AC Milan in the late 90's... he was running circles round them athletically and fitness wise (he was a German youth international footballer though, and he is a freak.) AC Milan changed how they trained after Schumacher trained with them!

Now if you were talking about rugby backs... some of those guys are NFL level freaks. Toderai Chavanga, Soseni Anesi and Bryan Habana at 90kg-95kg each can all run 10.4 and under, catch anything, kick a ball accurately and hit like freight trains.

And I love soccer. But you do not have to be a freak athletically to be good at it... (just technically very good) most positions in the NFL you do.

I hate diving in any sport though! Soccer is ridiculous for it, especially Spain and Italy... they spend more time rolling around than playing.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 10:51 AM
ChiTownPhilly

Send a message via AIM to ChiTownPhilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Fs View Post
I would like to see how other fans feel about this.

I feel so embarrassed when I am watching a game and one of our players throws his head back and drops to the ice like a sack of potatoes. When he gets up he is feeling his face looking for blood and all you see is a little red mark. By the way they hit the ice you would swear they got side swiped by a shooting star.
For all my pent-up criticism of The Organization and the direction it appears to have chosen, I'd still say we're far more sinned against than sinning, here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew8 View Post

Man, I agree with this so much. Part of me says if they want to act like futbol players, penalize them like futbol players- yellow card/red card. Two yellows- one game suspension- with retro-active review and assessment, if necessary.

Your idea has a much better chance of happening than that- but neither seems likely, when the fresh-faced marketing campaigns of the league involve some of the guiltiest among them as their faces.

ChiTownPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 11:40 AM
BringBackStevens

Players dive because it is a disadvantage not to. Until they change that, you can't fault the players for doing it

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 11:46 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

You would think the Flyers would learn from playing against Crosby(King of Dives) not to lower themselves to diving.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 02:17 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Our biggest diver has to be B. Schenn and then Giroux. Carcillo was also really bad when he was a Flyer. Other than that I don't see the Flyer players diving much at all, the Flyers aren't the Penguins and I hope Schenn and Giroux cut down the acts and just focus on playing hockey. Giroux isn't that bad of a flopper though. I don't ever remember Richards flopping around, it would be nice to have him back now since Lavy isn't here.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 02:24 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

I thought this was gonna be the video of the night Jaromir Jagr killed Matthew Barnaby.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 05:32 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Agreed. In real time it's hard to call unless it's truly blatant. After the fact fines would do the trick...maybe scale it up to a one game suspension if you repeat enough.

As Prongo mentioned though, high sticking would be hard to enforce. How much of it is instinct trying to get you away from the object coming at your face?
Yes this, it really is hard at full speed, and guys are good at it.

Also I think they should draw a distinction between guys who dive who've legitimately been high-sticked, tripped, or hooked, and are looking to draw attention to it vs. guys who throw their head back as if shot and then you see the replay and they weren't even touched, at all. I seem to recall Carcillo doing this more than once. That is truly embarrassing.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Legion of Gloom
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 26628
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
My fantasy football and soccer team names are Football is For Girls and Futbol is For Fems, respectively.

Please, hockey players, do not go down the road of the football and futbol players.
It is bad enough we have shoot outs, at least it makes sense to have shoot outs in fussball

Legion of Gloom is online now   Reply With Quote