HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Trotz next to be fired???

Old
10-29-2013, 11:14 AM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 460
Trotz next to be fired???

Just wondering here ........ with the Preds horrendous outing last season and their lack less than stellar performance so far ... is this the end of Barry Trotz??

Yeah the team lost Suter to free agency. Major blow. Their current Blueline is even worse with only 3 guys with NHL experience and one them is still injured. They look to be without their goaltending is also in jeopardy (experience wise). The 20-goal scorers are most likely a thing of the past. They look to be in good shape right now but if 6-1 bashing they took at the hands of the blues is only a sign of things to come how much will Poille and the fans put up with ??

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:17 AM
thecloser

vCash: 500
i wanna see a change in the front office. And definitely Trotz. I don't like his defense all the time mentality. I think it takes away from what little offensive minded guys we have on the current roster.

The thing is, the guy has taken us to a lot of playoff appearances, but on the same coin he hasn't gotten past the second round once. The problem is that he and Poile are too conservative and so is this organization, the same reason as to why Trotz probably won't be gone any time soon.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Smilodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
i wanna see a change in the front office. And definitely Trotz. I don't like his defense all the time mentality. I think it takes away from what little offensive minded guys we have on the current roster.

The thing is, the guy has taken us to a lot of playoff appearances, but on the same coin he hasn't gotten past the second round once. The problem is that he and Poile are too conservative and so is this organization, the same reason as to why Trotz probably won't be gone any time soon.
I think without Poile, this team would be in Hamilton right now. I'm a bit hesitant to let him go, but if management thinks Trotz needs to go, I'll trust their decision.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:34 AM
NoNecksCurse

i keep poile and show no neck the door

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Iron Duke

Doubtful. Subpar start, but only 3 points out of 8th. As long as the team remains somewhere in the playoff picture, I don't see a change being made. If people were expecting much more than that, they weren't being realistic. Now if we start putting up lots of the 6-1 losses, on the other hand...

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Once Trotz is forced out the door, Poile is the next to go.

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:52 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Just wondering here ........ with the Preds horrendous outing last season and their lack less than stellar performance so far ... is this the end of Barry Trotz??

Yeah the team lost Suter to free agency. Major blow. Their current Blueline is even worse with only 3 guys with NHL experience and one them is still injured. They look to be without their goaltending is also in jeopardy (experience wise). The 20-goal scorers are most likely a thing of the past. They look to be in good shape right now but if 6-1 bashing they took at the hands of the blues is only a sign of things to come how much will Poille and the fans put up with ??
Prior to the beginning of the year, if you were asked if being in the middle of the league in points, and by middle I mean the top half of the league (we were 15th yesterday, haven't looked this AM) would you have considered it a success? Especially after factoring in losing Josi, Fisher, and now Rinne for multiple games?

As a fanbase, we have to come to grips with reality. It is nice to want and to expect to boatrace everyone and have shutouts every game, and score 10 goals a game and have no mistakes from the bottom pair and hat tricks from the 4th line, but that isn't this team.

Anyone who expected us to be higher right now isn't being realistic. A few fortunate bounces we could be, but a few fortunate ones we didn't get we could be hanging out with Buffalo in the cellar.

And one last thing about that beating by the Blues---40 mins of that game we were ok. A 10 min meltdown caved the roof in. Also, it was the 6th game in 10 nights. That is brutal. I am surprised they played as well vs Minnesota and Winnepeg earlier in the week. Watch, they will have legs again after a few days off.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 12:15 PM
SavageSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Prior to the beginning of the year, if you were asked if being in the middle of the league in points, and by middle I mean the top half of the league (we were 15th yesterday, haven't looked this AM) would you have considered it a success? Especially after factoring in losing Josi, Fisher, and now Rinne for multiple games?

As a fanbase, we have to come to grips with reality. It is nice to want and to expect to boatrace everyone and have shutouts every game, and score 10 goals a game and have no mistakes from the bottom pair and hat tricks from the 4th line, but that isn't this team.

Anyone who expected us to be higher right now isn't being realistic. A few fortunate bounces we could be, but a few fortunate ones we didn't get we could be hanging out with Buffalo in the cellar.

And one last thing about that beating by the Blues---40 mins of that game we were ok. A 10 min meltdown caved the roof in. Also, it was the 6th game in 10 nights. That is brutal. I am surprised they played as well vs Minnesota and Winnepeg earlier in the week. Watch, they will have legs again after a few days off.
+1/ditto/this emulates my thoughts closely/whatever

Typically, since the new ownership took over, the team always seems to play .500 till about early December when the system is ingrained and players can predict their teammates actions/placement on the ice with reasonable expectation of success. Doesn't seem to matter whether or not there was a significant roster turnover. The ebb and flow seem the same annually like crops.

If in January we still have major problems... then by all means put the coaches on the hot seat. Till then, I will just keep things in perspective and hope to not see the same mistakes twice...

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Trotz is phenomenal at getting the most of a mediocre roster, but hasn't proven that he can take a great roster to the next level (The Forsberg year, two years ago, etc.).

This year, we started with a mediocre roster, lost our #2D to injuries, then lost our (probably) best C for quite a few games, and now lost a top 3 goalie in the world. And we're at .500 so far. I'm not Trotz's biggest fan, but he gets so much out of so little. Outside of Tippett, no one in the NHL does a better job of it. As long as we have a mediocre roster, so about two years at least, I see no reason to get rid of Trotz. We can re-evaluate then.

As for Poile, I am a much bigger fan of him that most here are, but I do think his tenure is coming close to an end, but I see him retiring before he is fired. I would guess he sticks around for 2-3 more years before he and Fenton switch positions, with Fenton becoming our new GM (I truly believe he is being groomed for the spot whether Poile is fired or retires) and Poile staying on for a couple years as an AGM/advisor.

I really think Trotz and Poile come as somewhat a package deal. Could be 100% wrong, but I have a feeling when one goes, the other will follow soon after.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 12:44 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSteve View Post
+1/ditto/this emulates my thoughts closely/whatever

Typically, since the new ownership took over, the team always seems to play .500 till about early December when the system is ingrained and players can predict their teammates actions/placement on the ice with reasonable expectation of success. Doesn't seem to matter whether or not there was a significant roster turnover. The ebb and flow seem the same annually like crops.

If in January we still have major problems... then by all means put the coaches on the hot seat. Till then, I will just keep things in perspective and hope to not see the same mistakes twice...
Typically the team is around .500. This is a problem for me. It's typical which means we are average. I don't like to accept average. I have higher expectations for the franchise.

If this team falters at all this season Housley will be the new boss. I have no doubts about that. When have we ever brought in an assistant coach from outside the organization? Never. That was the ownership group sending a message. Average will not be acceptable anymore.

If the team is slow to get out of the gate why not change the way we handle training camp? Doing the same thing will net you the same results.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:19 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Looking back just 18 days ago when the team was 1-3-0 there were posts here questioning if what would happen if the team won only one more game for the month. Since then the team is 5-2-1 including the 3-2-1 run during six games in ten days that started with the Kings, a three game road trip in four days, and ended with the Blues ... with Josi, Fisher, and Rinne missing all or part of that stretch.

I'll stick with my assertion of October 11th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
If Trotz loses the room he's gone. If he goes 2-11-0, he's gone. If the players keep responding and the team is sitting around 10 points at the end of the month, he probably remains but on a pretty warm seat. If the team is at 13+ points through the first 13 games, he's probably safe.
Trotz hasn't lost the room. The team is still fighting for points even when they are obviously gassed. They are tied for 6th in ROW in the conference. When we lose, we lose in regulation while teams like Chicago get the loser point in OT. (4-2-1 vs 4-1-2 at home ... 2-3-0 vs 3-1-1 on the road). There is plenty of room for concern at our lack of scoring in spite of a higher shot average than last season ... the lack of goals from Forsberg, Bourque, Wilson (0 ES goals, 2 PP g combined ... those goals within 40 seconds of each other 5on3, then 5on4 vs Minn) ... the inconsistent PK that is either lights out or allowing two goals ... but the usual calls for heads still remain premature.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:20 PM
nashpreds

My personal opinion is that the Predators would be perennial bottom feeders without Trotz. The team has zero players that would play on a top line of any other playoff team. The best line we could throw out would honestly be a middle of the pack 2nd line on above average teams. Trotz gets this group working together to somehow score and win games by committee, I think firing him would show us just how bad our forward group actually is.

nashpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
The injury to Rinne alone will give Trotz a pas this season imo. As much as I get frustrated by our style of play at times I still think Trotz is one of the best coaches in the NHL and would have a job in less than a week if we let him go. With that said we would be stupid to think some other coach could come in and do any better with our talent.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 02:49 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post

Yeah the team lost Suter to free agency. Major blow. Their current Blueline is even worse with only 3 guys with NHL experience and one them is still injured.??
The only issue we have with our blueline right now is the bottom pairing.

2 of those 3 guys without much NHL experience, Jones and Ekholm have both been really good.

Our blueline might be in the best shape it's been since the Weber, Suter, Hamhuis and Timonen days.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Lug

Top tier GM and coach that does magic with a bunch of 3rd and 4th line players and young guys and people call for their heads this early in the season?

Lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 03:09 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
Top tier GM and coach that does magic with a bunch of 3rd and 4th line players and young guys and people call for their heads this early in the season?
please. we have been with this franchise through thick and thin. still sad outsiders like you really do feel our players are scraps. we have had our share of more than good teams since the lockout and nothing to show. we have every reason to ask this question at this point. majority, i don't believe, are not calling for trotz now but another sub-par season and it may be time.

like i said, trotz goes, poile stays. but enough with ridiculous posts like yours. it may have held water 4 years ago but trotz has to show something. you dont stay with a franchise as long as trotz has with so little to show.

Old
10-29-2013, 03:21 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Just a lil FYI, Lug has been around since 2001-2002.

Guess he forgot his password or something.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 03:25 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
Just a lil FYI, Lug has been around since 2001-2002.

Guess he forgot his password or something.
on mobile.. point still stands other than him being an outsider or non pred fan. apologies for that.

Old
10-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
I 100% agree that Trotz and Poile are the best in the business at getting the most from the least, but the few times we've gotten a roster together that can compete, we have nothing to show for it. As our market grows and we get a bigger budget, I wonder if other guys may do better with more resources. No doubt in my mind that if I was an expansion or bottom dwelling team, Trotz/Poile would be possibly the best duo out there.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 03:41 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
please. we have been with this franchise through thick and thin. still sad outsiders like you really do feel our players are scraps. we have had our share of more than good teams since the lockout and nothing to show. we have every reason to ask this question at this point. majority, i don't believe, are not calling for trotz now but another sub-par season and it may be time.

like i said, trotz goes, poile stays. but enough with ridiculous posts like yours. it may have held water 4 years ago but trotz has to show something. you dont stay with a franchise as long as trotz has with so little to show.
I would be willing to be that Poile would resign before he fires Trotz. We have been in far more dire situations than this and Poile stuck with him, so any call to fire trotz now would logically be from ownership, and that would signal that they are no longer willing to just let Poile do his thing, which, given how many teams would crawl to Nashville to steal Poile from us would be his cue to leave...

That said, I dont see it happening...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashpreds View Post
My personal opinion is that the Predators would be perennial bottom feeders without Trotz. The team has zero players that would play on a top line of any other playoff team. The best line we could throw out would honestly be a middle of the pack 2nd line on above average teams. Trotz gets this group working together to somehow score and win games by committee, I think firing him would show us just how bad our forward group actually is.
I completely agree with this man.

I do not expect Trotz or Poile to be fired; I do not hope Trotz or Poile is fired. This team was built around a Trotz-esque coach; other than Tippet, I don't think many, if any, other coaches could come in and make this team competitive without massive roster changes. If you go that route, you're looking at a three-year rebuild. I like this team; I think we've done pretty well for ourselves. I am also one of the more optimistic / satisfied posters here, so take it with a grain of salt.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 04:22 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Trotz is phenomenal at getting the most of a mediocre roster, but hasn't proven that he can take a great roster to the next level (The Forsberg year, two years ago, etc.).
Those years were hardly "great" rosters. Trotz got the most out of guys like Sergie Kosisyten, Andrei Kosisyten, Fisher on the 1st line, etc, but AT BEST we had middle of the road offensive talent.

Even the Forseberg year, we didn't get Forseberg, we got Forseberg as a shell of himself (another desperate move by Poile). Guys like Arnott, Dumont, even Kariya were deemed expendable by their previous club. Trotz got the most out of those guys too. That was the only playoffs you could argue the team underachieved, but compared to others (including the Sharks) we had inferior talent.

Poile is the one who has failed to address our offensive problems. The problem is obvious to anyone. And what does he do when Suter/Weber say they want to see improvement? Gaustad, Gill, Hendricks, Nystrom, etc. BLAH.

I'm not going to be too upset if Trotz is fired, but I certainly won't expect our offense to start producing. In fact, I will expect our team to get worse.

Poile should go first. His limitations are more obvious than ever.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
Welcome to Predators hockey ....

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:51 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

It's time for a shakeup. Trotz simply doesn't have the same effect he used to on his players. He also doesn't know how to use players properly. Mainly forwards.

And Poile. He needs to go to IMHO

It's time for a true shakeup for this franchise.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:02 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

You can't blame Poile for Forsberg, Liarpold told Poile to get him.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote