HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ridiculous fan rationale

Old
11-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Lawzy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
We got beat by a larger more physical team in the playoffs, lets go out and sign some physical third and four liners who we won't actually play and draft some big physical kids in the draft who won't actually make the team for three or four years.
Ahhh, the Gillis effect.

Lawzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 04:36 PM
DS7

There's been this chronic obsession with a small segment of the nucks fanbase of religiously tracking Cody Hodgson's +/- per game to justify how we are better off without him. (Thankfully dying down i think...)

btw, I'm NOT doing that argument here, but it's an observation, and it annoys the frack outta me.

Last edited by DS7: 11-06-2013 at 04:42 PM.
DS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Tanevian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
This is specific to HFBoards but, regarding trade proposals:

Player X still has multiple years remaining on his contract, my team isn't going to give up anything to take on Player X's huge cap hit.

Player Y only has 1 year left on his contract, my team isn't going to give up anything for a rental player.

^I see this dual logic in just about every trade thread and its both hilarious and infuriating.
This should only bother you if it's the same person saying it in the same thread. Some teams shouldn't give up anything for rental others shouldn't be taking on long term deals.

Tanevian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Tanevian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS7 View Post
There's been this chronic obsession with a small segment of the nucks fanbase of religiously tracking Cody Hodgson's +/- per game to justify how we are better off without him. (Thankfully dying down i think...)

btw, I'm NOT doing that argument here, but it's an observation, and it annoys the frack outta me.
It's a counter obsession to those who watch every Kassian shift with a microscope. The good thing is these types only exist in virtual world.

Tanevian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 05:08 PM
DanZ

People use it as an argument for Player A>>>Player B until there is someone that has more Cups than Player A and then the argument is that hockey is a team game and it's unfair to count Cups...

Personally, I never use Cups as an argument for a player's rank because it's elementary reasoning and anyone that uses that argument is just dumb. There is much more value in comparing an individual's performance in the playoffs with context (the team they play on).

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
People use it as an argument for Player A>>>Player B until there is someone that has more Cups than Player A and then the argument is that hockey is a team game and it's unfair to count Cups...

Personally, I never use Cups as an argument for a player's rank because it's elementary reasoning and anyone that uses that argument is just dumb. There is much more value in comparing an individual's performance in the playoffs with context (the team they play on).
Me either, but I don't use it because I'm a Leafs fan

I don't really get that argument, and it got really annoying during the Seguin/Kessel debates

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Conn Smythe trophy wins used to mean the player was viewed by this board as super clutch. That was until Malkin won it.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Peasy
apple CORes = SOFT

vCash: 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Our team is the same except we just added Player X, it's actually impossible for us to do worse than we did last year!

I remember getting torn apart by Sabres fans when I predicted them to fall a bit after adding Ville Leino. That was funny.
Seems like this is happening with another team

Peasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 05:57 PM
Kyle Doobas*

vCash: 159
That the goalie is somehow a separate entity from the rest of the team, and that if a team gets a lot of shots against but can't beat the goalie, they somehow 'outplayed' them. Winning a game in large part due to a lights-out performance from your goalie is no different than winning a game largely because your top center scored a hat trick.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Winning best single season performance positional award for regular season play = best player for that position, period

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 06:03 PM
FrozenJagrt

As a Leafs fan, I see a lot of "My favourite team will be much better next season because (insert long list of players) will have more experience and will thus improve"

Also "This team played great in these two months and was really good in the last week of the season, so despite them finishing in the bottom five I expect they will be a playoff team next year".

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 06:08 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold View Post
RFA vs. UFA, I stumble across an astounding number of people on here who can't understand how that impacts the contract
Same with a contract signed 4 or 5 years ago vs. one signed this year

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Peasy
apple CORes = SOFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Same with a contract signed 4 or 5 years ago vs. one signed this year
Those x10000

Old
11-06-2013, 06:25 PM
DisgruntledGoat

'Yakupov has been awful this year so his value is low. Oilers should take this terrible trade offer if it was made.'

Cause you acquire a 19 year-old first overall for what he's done in the last 12 games.

DisgruntledGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 06:28 PM
TheCrazedMadman

This is true over all sports, but "Home vs Away" games. Especially when they talk about "They are way better at home than playing away".....either you're good or not, it doesnt matter what building you play in, do the fans cheering them on really affect the professional athletes emotions so much that it impacts the way they play? I dont think so. Travel time too, its not like they're getting off the plane and jumping on the ice.

TheCrazedMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

If I make a proposal for a player and talk about how bad that player is it will help my team get that player cheaper.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 06:29 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
"Those stats don't mean anything because <insert anecdotal evidence>"

Aka I know better by just watching.
But at the same time I hate the people that evaluate every player by nothing but stats. "YEAH WELL HIS CORSI IS THIS." "UNSUSTAINABLE SHOOTING PERCENTAGE." Shut the hell up.

Also fans that expect every win to be perfect. "Well we won but that wasn't a full 60 minutes! Made a few sloppy plays, need to clean it up next game!" Yeah buddy well every game is going to be like that, deal with it.

Fans that try repeating every cliche spewed by the head coach in an effort to motivate the team and act like they know why they are losing.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 06:30 PM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazedMadman View Post
This is true over all sports, but "Home vs Away" games.
You don't watch much baseball, do you? With each park being different, teams get to know them better. It can change the outcome.

And I suppose in hockey, teams know their boards better, know what bounces to expect, things like that.

That said, I don't buy the home versus away thing as a legitimate excuse. But there are factors.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Peasy
apple CORes = SOFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
But at the same time I hate the people that evaluate every player by nothing but stats. "YEAH WELL HIS CORSI IS THIS." "UNSUSTAINABLE SHOOTING PERCENTAGE." Shut the hell up.

Also fans that expect every win to be perfect. "Well we won but that wasn't a full 60 minutes! Made a few sloppy plays, need to clean it up next game!" Yeah buddy well every game is going to be like that, deal with it.

Fans that try repeating every cliche spewed by the head coach in an effort to motivate the team and act like they know why they are losing.
I honestly wish we didn't have advanced stats. Thats seems to be all people bring up when trying to win an argument or prove that someone will get better or worse.

Last edited by Peasy: 11-06-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old
11-06-2013, 06:39 PM
TheCrazedMadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenJagrt View Post
You don't watch much baseball, do you? With each park being different, teams get to know them better. It can change the outcome.

And I suppose in hockey, teams know their boards better, know what bounces to expect, things like that.

That said, I don't buy the home versus away thing as a legitimate excuse. But there are factors.
Yea, I guess Baseball is an exception (still not sure why they havent regulated the size of the stadiums, wouldnt the players who are in the smallest home stadium have more home runs overall?)

TheCrazedMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 06:42 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy View Post
I honestly wish we didn't have advanced stats. Thats seems to be all people bring up when trying to win an argument or prove that someone will get better or worse.
Yep. I try to avoid them.

I see it every year now. After the first 5 games everyone is acting like it is a fact which team will slow down and start to suck.

Well the Ducks and Avalanche are still winning so those stats apparently gave them false information. What a shocker!

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

I hate it when the TV handpicks some irrelevant non-causal facts such as "team is 45-0 when player x fights in the second period"

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 07:17 PM
lboogie42*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblawbrovsky View Post
The best HFBoards logic is since one player has a Stanley Cup he's automatically better than a player that doesn't.

"Player A vs. Player B"

First post: Herp derp I'll take the one that has a cup, thank you very much.
Entirely this. Its like saying kane is better than ovy. Stupid

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 07:20 PM
lboogie42*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazedMadman View Post
Yea, I guess Baseball is an exception (still not sure why they havent regulated the size of the stadiums, wouldnt the players who are in the smallest home stadium have more home runs overall?)
Yep, hence why the yanks are always up there. Such a small left field. Compared to the Mets who have one of the biggest stadiums in the league and cant buy a HR even tho alot of the time it would be a home run in other stadiums.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 07:55 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Yep. I try to avoid them.

I see it every year now. After the first 5 games everyone is acting like it is a fact which team will slow down and start to suck.

Well the Ducks and Avalanche are still winning so those stats apparently gave them false information. What a shocker!
This terrible rationale right here. "Advanced stats said this would happen but because it hasn't after X games, advanced stats are dumb."

It's a fact that the Avalanche will slow down unless they're the greatest NHL team of all time.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote