HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Reporters and Dave Hodge on the Habs

Old
12-01-2013, 07:43 PM
BigHabs

vCash: 500
The Reporters and Dave Hodge on the Habs

I was watching the video on tsn with the reporters about the Habs being the best team in Canada right now.

They all sat their and whined about the Habs saying they are alright they aren't contenders and such. I'm not saying we are quite contenders right now. It was like everything in their power to not give the Habs credit just the way I felt while watching the video.

Michael Farber was really the only one praising and giving credit.

But you look at Hodge while trying to talk about the Habs it was like the look on his face that he just seemed like we shouldn't be praised for where we are and what we have achieved so far.

Did anyone else watch the video and get the same feeling I did.

I understand they are Toronto based media but come on you don't have to homer all the time, it was them bringing up the subject about the Habs being the best Canadian team right now.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 07:48 PM
habfaninvictoria

Who cares....

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

They're all ****ing haters, that's it. The Habs are the most loved/hated team in hockey, there's nothing more to add.

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 07:50 PM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Who cares....
I usually don't, but why bring up a topic like that if your going to do nothing but talk about the team in the complete opposite of what the topic is about.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Gally11

Yeah it's kind of weird because the topic was are they the best team in Canada and then they say they're not a contender but that's not what they were being asked

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Le CH

The Reporters is the most Toronto-loving show on a very Toronto-centric channel... not surprising at all.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Pricef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post
I was watching the video on tsn with the reporters about the Habs being the best team in Canada right now.

They all sat their and whined about the Habs saying they are alright they aren't contenders and such. I'm not saying we are quite contenders right now. It was like everything in their power to not give the Habs credit just the way I felt while watching the video.

Michael Farber was really the only one praising and giving credit.

But you look at Hodge while trying to talk about the Habs it was like the look on his face that he just seemed like we shouldn't be praised for where we are and what we have achieved so far.

Did anyone else watch the video and get the same feeling I did.

I understand they are Toronto based media but come on you don't have to homer all the time, it was them bringing up the subject about the Habs being the best Canadian team right now.
TSN's bias is all to obvious. I am thrilled about the Rogers deal and the damage it will do to TSN

Pricef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Folks go overboard on bashing TSN and saying its all biased for TO. These guys came out and said we were the best team in Canada... we should be happy about this.

I don't think we should be upset if folks don't think that we're contenders. How many of us in this forum think we are right now?

Good team, playoff team... yes. With the talent in our lineup we have the potential to surprise but I think it would be exactly that - a surprise. A good top four on the backend, good goaltending and some talented guys up front. But our depth (esp on the backend) is thin and we still have a lot of holes.

So take the compliment and be happy with it.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 08:11 PM
DJ Breadman

all these sports tv channels are located in Toronto and they have to pander to the Leafs, the only person who I have ever heard say anything bad about the leafs is Bob McCown on primetime sports he hates the leafs/ or just does it to troll all the hockey guys at sportsnet when he has them on but he rarely says anything good about the leafs

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
all these sports tv channels are located in Toronto and they have to pander to the Leafs, the only person who I have ever heard say anything bad about the leafs is Bob McCown on primetime sports he hates the leafs/ or just does it to troll all the hockey guys at sportsnet when he has them on but he rarely says anything good about the leafs
The Leafs get ripped all the time by tons of people.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 08:57 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
To be fair, they are right. Best in Canada isn't saying much.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Traitor8

wow ....

What show were you watching?

One guy says that Galchenyuk got better, Subban is repeating his Norris, Price is better Another guy said Markov is playing amazing and returned to his best. Another guy said that Price should be the starter for Team Canada.

yes they were anti-habs

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 09:41 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricef View Post
TSN's bias is all to obvious. I am thrilled about the Rogers deal and the damage it will do to TSN
Just wait until you start watching games on Sportsnet. You'll wish the Habs were on TSN then.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
They're so uninteresting. Even when there's theses 'special shows' on, when the camera turns to them, I usually take it as a commercial break.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Dont Poke Subban

They're still ******** because of last night. Leafs fans at my work today were still complaining about the no-goal from Phaneuf.

I was just like, "Like thats the reason why you lost." The game might've been different but still. Just told them Habs were the better team and they're like, wait til you play in Toronto. I said, Habs are an even better team away from home.

They were just crying about the refs all day. Saying we're cheaters and thats how we won.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 09:59 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
I hope you don't imagine SN will become less Toronto-centric. They are pandering to the demographic every much as TSN.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 10:02 PM
SB164

Apparently the "big event" yesterday was Torts' return to NY, not, you know, the Habs and the Leafs on Hockey Night in ****ing Canada

Oh, and we're not an exciting team either according to these guys. Right, Carey Price, PK Subban, Andrei Markov, Brendan Gallagher, Alex Galchenyuk are not exciting. Gotcha.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Folks go overboard on bashing TSN and saying its all biased for TO. These guys came out and said we were the best team in Canada... we should be happy about this.

I don't think we should be upset if folks don't think that we're contenders. How many of us in this forum think we are right now?

Good team, playoff team... yes. With the talent in our lineup we have the potential to surprise but I think it would be exactly that - a surprise. A good top four on the backend, good goaltending and some talented guys up front. But our depth (esp on the backend) is thin and we still have a lot of holes.

So take the compliment and be happy with it.
Pretty much. Are the Habs the best team in Canada right now? Possibly. At least they're playing the best hockey at this moment. Are they Stanley Cup contenders? No. At least not yet. I think they're headed in the right direction though.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 10:28 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Yep, I watched the video, typical media.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Runner77

Some of those people on the Reporters are worse than Michel Bergeron -- they've long died and no one told them. I doubt they have enough of an audience to begin with. Blissfully ignore.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Lebowski

Only truth was spoken in that segment, and to be honest, they did give us a lot of praise.

- Subban duplicating his Norris trophy season

- Markov back to his old self, forming the BEST pairing in the NHL with Subban.

- Price having a great year

- Glachenyuk and Gallagher already being dominant forces

- Better than last season, best team in Canada this season

Calling them "not contenders" isn't bias, it's simply the truth. I see us as a team in between the phase of bubble team and contenders. One or two pieces away.

Except for that little "healthy team" jab, I really don't see what was wrong with what they said.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 11:24 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
To be fair, they are right. Best in Canada isn't saying much.
this tbh

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Doc McKenna

Quote:
I guess you never watched connected. Rogers is even worse for being on their knees for the leafs. Bill Waters make Joe Bowan(sp) look anti toronto in comparisons. So is Kyproes. This is bad news. The whole deal was esentially to capture the toronto market.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 04:55 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
I guess you never watched connected. Rogers is even worse for being on their knees for the leafs. Bill Waters make Joe Bowan(sp) look anti toronto in comparisons. So is Kyproes. This is bad news. The whole deal was esentially to capture the toronto market.
You're never going to escape the Toronto bias.

I don't know why people get so mad about it, aside from the narratives it creates. Let the media focus on Toronto. Let them forget the other teams.

Rogers has already been pushing the idea of Montreal games on CBC while the Leafs stick to Sportsnet. That's probably the best part of the deal.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 05:21 AM
Moen in Glory
@MoeninGlory

It would make sense if there was a Canadian Division.

Being #1 in a virtual group of awful-to-average teams? That's just another meaningless airtime-filling discussion.

We are (temporarily) happy with what our team is doing, let's just hope they can carry on

Moen in Glory is online now   Reply With Quote